A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

OK, need some comfort here....please someone tell me you make more - shortcake

Posted: Sep 21, 2011

than minimum wage working at the Q!!! The last thing I need in my life right now is to add 5 more hours to my weekly work schedule (minimum PT) and make 60% less.  Of course we've been told nothing is changing "for a while" but it's scary not knowing how much this is going to affect ya financially.  Time to take a vigorous bike ride and get my thoughts together about this.  If anyone has anything positive to say about MQ, I'm listening........... 

Paychecks are on time, that's about it. nm - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
//////

I make more than minimum wage... - I average 10.00

[ In Reply To ..]
Not very nice when I used to average 28!

I paid my teenage babysitter $10 an hour 10 years ago!! I just don't know - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
how they can get away with this. If years ago this was the pay, I surely would not have pursued this career, no way, no how. I'm sorry for your loss!

Hate this for you... - seriously.

[ In Reply To ..]
My pay (had appx 10 yrs in before I was bought by them) dropped that much if not more. No, I am not self-limiting; I was willing to do anything they gave me, and my quality has always been 99% or better, so don't flame on that one, please. I'm training at a diff company this week, and I made more in my first 2 days than I did in a week @ Q simply because I had no more jobs @ Q. Wish you luck!

Could you email me? I'm interested in where you went. Thanks. nm - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]

Minimum wage - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
This is actually my 2nd day where I made my quota. Minimum wage is $7.40 an hour and my lines times 0.048 equaled $7.40 an hour. Other days, I don't make minimum required lines, and so I get make-up pay.

I make more than minimum wage, I would - Just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
not be able to stay here if I got close to minimum wage and don't know how anybody could survive these days on that. I really feel for those with accounts that would cause them to not to be able to make over minimum wage. I do about 90% ASR and have learned all the shortcuts and do not lose any money with it, but still prefer straight typing. I have been on the same accounts for the last 5 years (with many years as MT) and I think that helps to be familiar with the accounts/dictators.

I certainly hope you are not one of those who cannot make more than minimum wage and good luck.

I also make more than minimum wage, average - Another MQ MT

[ In Reply To ..]
about $12 an hour, sometimes a little more, working full time teir 3. Used to make considerably more than that at MQ back in the day, but those days are gone no matter what MTSO you work for. My ex-part-time job in-house at a hospital I made $22 an hour, but they have recently merged with a big hospital who outsources their work to guess who?..MQ, so lost that job which was the last in-house hospital MT job in my area.

I am looking to get out of MT and find another career that has opportunities for wage to go up instead of down without having to work 2 jobs or 24/7 to keep up with falling wages in MT.

Best wishes for you at MQ

I make about $10-11 working harder than I - ever dreamed I would

[ In Reply To ..]
have to work. Made $20/hr when I started 7 years ago (200 lines per hour at 10 cpl). Now I struggle to keep up the 150 lph minimum with ASR at 6 cpl. So depressing. Once in a while I get a straight typing job and I can STILL FLY on those!! I don't think it is me. Plus I never had to worry about audits with typing; now with ASR I have to listen and relisten because it is so hard to catch each and every error, punctuation, and paragraph and stay 99%.

Discouraging.....I know many people in many industries are - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
being forced to take paycuts but going from what I am making now to min wage is just unacceptable.

There's hope - CA-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
With 20/20 hindsight, I feel I'm overpaid for what I do now in a pharmaceutical company. If any of you live in Southern California and don't mind commuting to work, contact me for info on the company I now work for. Also, if you live in the Chicago area, that's the hub of my company. I'm a product performance analyst. I used to be an RN and had 20 years of transcription of experience, and they love me for what I know and how accurate I am. I review complaints about medical devices and interface with the FDA in my Monday-Friday office job. I got the job through Manpower. I've been here for almost 2 months now, am still learning tons but finally I feel I'm appreciated and all of my skills are being tapped which is very fulfilling. I take home three times what I did at MQ and feel like that horrible band has been taken from across my chest, a great weight has been lifted from my life and I can now afford my bills. The resources of transcriptionists are grossly under-estimated. You deserve to find something better, too.
I am in So Cal - bentfingers
[ In Reply To ..]
Curious to know if you had to be an RN to get hired at your pharm. co? I am not, but a transcriptionist since 1997. And, in what area of So Cal, where everyone commutes, except me since 1997.

Looked up old pay stub from 2003 - It was 2100 for two weeks.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I look just to assure myself that it was NOT a dream.

make more too - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the other posters that I work harder now than I ever have for less money. It is a constant struggle every day to stay focused and not get sidetracked by surfing the internet or answering the phone. I also have been punching out every time I get up from the computer to make sure I have more accurate time.

The one thing that really helped me is to give up training ASR. I turned off the ASR markers awhile back when there was a glitch and I never turned them back on even though there might have been an email to turn them back on. Must have lost that email. I have been on the same account for quite a few years and the errors never got fixed so I gave up. I just highlight and delete and move on. If the system puts in a skip marker when I hit backspace I don't see it and I don't have to remember one space or two after a skip marker or how many words exactly before I hit Ctrl-S. I was able to almost double my line count which put me well above minimum wage. Finally it came down to my paycheck or training ASR and I chose my paycheck.

great ideas north MT - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for mentioning this (about not seeing the skip marker)- am going to try it - wish I had thought of that a long time ago!!

P.S. - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
I had been doing all of that that you mentioned except turning off the skip marker - AMAZING what not seeing that and being compulsive about putting the space after it can save in time.

SHOORRRRTCAAAAKE! - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
I am still here at MQ. I remember when you left MQ, I think during the time or just before CBAY came into the picture. I knew either MQ would buy up all the companies or whatever MQ got away with, other companies would follow the tactics of MQ.

I thought about leaving MQ, but figured I would be acquired sooner or later just like MQ has done in the past. I have had enough. I am working harder than ever and making around $11.00 an hour. The last demotion in pay did me in when we received an email. In that email, I HATED WHEN MQ CALLED US "THE GRAND-FATHERED" MTs. It still bugs me to this day. So, basically I am getting paid the same as a newbie. It is appalling to be degraded to a level after 20 years of service with MQ, yet the bigwigs income goes up and up, anywhere around 250,000 to 500,000 a year each of the 12 some board members along with bonuses and stock options.

I am getting out of the field. I "RAN" back to college. I am done with this field only because of the pay is not worth it. I am basically paying the MQ to have a job. Makes me sick.

FEEL LIKE WE ARE PAYING MQ! - FRUSTRATED

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe we should do like the college students and protest that everyone only buy American made to save US jobs. Also, for all hospitals and doctors to use only US MTs to save US jobs!!! Isn't that what we are all for in this country right now! What is the difference?

There is no incentive to work for MQ. - Yep.

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband keeps saying I am paying MQ for a job. There is NO incentive whatsoever to keep working for MQ. No matter how much you hear "You do a great job", "Keep up the great work", this is not enough. Hate to say it, but it is about the money. After all, MQ bigwigs is all about the money, so why not say that about the MTs pay?

My hubby wonders when are MTs going to wake up and look at reality of MQ.

keep jobs in USA - donna

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, saw that on news about colleges giving students cataloges to buy sheets, etc., where everything was made outside the US. Student tweeted ABC news and things are changing! Maybe if news got wind of all the outsourcing of MT jobs, and Americans and doctors alike knew what was going on, we would finally get a break!
yeah. right. - young gun
[ In Reply To ..]
Please. They don't care they just want cheap insurance and health care.

Wow, I remember you as well. I was always crying on here - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
back then. Never worked so hard for so little. The day I left was a happy day and I never looked back. I've been very productive, happy, and actually had a few extra bucks for the past few years and now it's coming to an end. They say things won't change for a while but a while is not very long. I am sticking it out for as long as I have to as I do need this 2nd income. How many cents per line has your pay dropped since being with MQ??? You are so lucky you are back in school and have a plan.

minimum wage vs pay cuts... - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making more than minium wage when I left the Q after Spheris was bought out; however, after 2 pay cuts in less than a year, I too found myself being distracted a lot of the time. Guess somewhere in the back of my mind I figured "why bother." If I make "too much" they will cut my pay - again. That, and I knew the day was coming when I would soon leave. A week or so after the 1st pay cut we received an Email from Cooperate saying what a great year the Q was having Yada, yada, yada.... talk about rubbing salt in a wound. I mean, I can be a good guy and make less to help a company out in hard times, but that was just too much! Finally left the Q in August. Bittersweet as I loved being an MT, but not what the profession is becoming. For now I am not in a medical field, though perhaps some day I will return to some medical-related field to use the skills I have, but for now my bills are getting paid, and I might actually have a bit left over this month for ME!

I am on target to make $31K this year - used to be so much more

[ In Reply To ..]
I do make more than minimum at about $31-32K, but this is down from my all-time high of $54K. I am a tier 3, CMT,maxed out on the pay scale now, work every weekend so as to avoid NJA and that is all I have possibly been able to squeeze out over the past couple of years typing my fingers to the bone as fast as I possibly can. I know its not much, but its better than nothing, ya know?

how much do you expect to make from a job that doesn't require a 4 year degree? - young gun

[ In Reply To ..]
I think 31K is an EXCELLENT amount of $$ to be making considering the education involved!!! I went to a brick and mortar and did an internship 10 years ago but let's face it people can do online training and do our jobs. It's not that hard. The times, they are a changin--you almost need an associates to work @ McDonalds

Similar Messages:

Comfort
Mar 15, 2010

After sitting for years in a chair from Sam's with no padding left with a pillow under my you-know-what and a pillow behind my back, I splurged on a Sealy Posturepedic chair.  Maybe it will be like laying in bed all day instead of typing?  It surely is the little things that please us these days ~~~~ Now hopefully will keep my job long enough to pay for it. . . . . ...

Work Space Comfort
May 10, 2011

I have been an MT for a long time and growing tired of the profession.  Until I find something else, I need to know what MTs out there do just to be comfortable in their work space.  I feel like I can't sit still, very uncomfortable.  any thoughts? ...

Comfort Curve 2000 Keeps Disconnecting!!
Sep 24, 2010

All day today I've been having a problem with my keyboard disconnecting.  When I remove/replace the plug, it'll reconnect for a little while, sometimes good for hours, sometimes only a few seconds.  I know it's not the USB outlet because I've tried them all w/the keyboard and it still happens.  I did update the driver and the optional windows update for it but it didn't make a difference.  I've also hooked it up to another computer and it doesn&# ...

Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Vs Microsoft Ergo 4000
Jun 27, 2013

Getting ready to buy a new keyboard and trying to decide between these 2 models. Has anyone used both and can compare them?  Does the CC 3000 really provide relief for the wrists?  I've heard good things about the 4000 but it looks so...LARGE, lol! Any input appreciated before I click the "buy it now" feature! ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...

Can You Make Any $$ With VR???
Feb 23, 2013

Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times.  I have been doing straight transcription for 35 years and am about to switch to VR editing at 0.45 cents per line.  Good Grief.  Can I make any money doing this??  My straight transcription accounts have all switched over about 80% of their work to VR and left all the truly terrible dictators on straight.  ...

How Much Do You Make?
Jul 22, 2013

Make's One Wonder--sm
Aug 07, 2013

Apparently the account I work on will be going completely offshore.  I am being moved to an account that I know has work (at least for now, not sure how many others will be switched to this one too).  I have to wonder though when will be the point when accounts go offshore and people are just fired.  While people do quit, is it enough to ensure there is still work stateside.  I have things that need to be taken care of.  New tires, new brakes, a new refrigerator, etc.&n ...

Does VR Make Anyone
Jul 27, 2014

after doing report after report?  Most of the reports I do are long, and there are so many incorrect words, looking at the mess that makes so sense, following along with the words,  and correcting literally makes me nauseated.   I feel like my eyeballs are crossed trying to focus in where the dictator is which is hard when the words I see are not the words I hear.  Sure can tell a transcriptionist had no part in developing this crap. I have ...

I Have Never Had So Much Make-up Pay!
Jan 21, 2015

After celebrating having no make-up pay last paycheck, I have an absolutely horrific amount of make-up pay this paycheck. The difference?????? Cesspool, a lot of bad audio and even worse ASR output than the normal terrible output. Got told today that my minor error rate is above metrics. They apparently have decided to inflict that on us now, despite the fact that I have passed every audit. They have also been auditing us every day. Gotta measure every bit they can think of! Oh what ...

I Cannot Make My C-LPH......
Jun 26, 2015

to save my life!  ...

What If MQ Decides To Make Us All Become MME's!
Jan 12, 2010

Didn't MQ make the CTL's become MME's?  If that happens to the MT's and you reject it, I assume you will be fired and if so, can you still collect unemployment?  What if you they point blank and say, you have to become an MME or you will have look elsewhere.  Can you somehow collect unemployment whether you quit or get fired or will you lose out unemployment benefits.  Basically, it is a no win situation for us MT's?  ...

Sorry, But Does This Make Sense?
Jan 17, 2010

There is a tachycardia present with a rate of 175 without atopic beats. ...

MED Term Cannot Make Out!
Jan 26, 2010

I can NOT make out the word on my dication tape!! It is a drug sounds like On-Seff...........I know I've used it before but I just can't remember the spelling... HELP PLEASE anyone!!! Lol ...

Does This Make Sense - Please Sm.
Feb 03, 2010

He does s/l weigh with the natural resting position to external rotation.   ...

Does This All Make Sense?
Feb 03, 2010

long day and not sure this all sounds correct. tia.   MRI scan does show a complete tear of the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff with a retracted tendon.  It also shows a partial tear of the subscapularis tendon and transverse humeral ligament.  There is also splitting of the biceps tendon in the glenohumeral joint.  He has an anterior/inferior labral tear and some paralabral cysts, and severe degenerative changes in the acromioclavicular joint and some degenerativ ...

Does This Make Sense-
Feb 07, 2010

Knee range of motion is lacking 5 degrees of full extension to 110 degrees, at which point there is soft tissue approximation. ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

How Do You Make Expansions
Jun 30, 2010

How do you make expansions.  I know F4 is to turn it off and on but how do you make new ones,  I am having stress which makes my brain malfunction. ...

Trying To Make Sense Out Of This
Mar 31, 2010

I agree that the MT biz has become extremely hard and frustrating, but I am copying and pasting something I read below because if I had responded to that, it would have been lost, as messages don't get updated on this board, and I would like other's opinions.  "You are absolutely right. I had worked for a couple of other good companies before going back to MQ, and found that the "experience" I got from MQ was not very good at all. The new companies followed the Book of Style 3, w ...

You CAN Make Big Bucks With VR!! NOT
Apr 18, 2010

Poster below crows about how much money they make with VR.  What are these big bucks, you struggling VR people ask?  Poster states they clear $1000 a pay period--A whole $24,000 a year!  THOSE ARE THE BIG BUCKS??????  Sad, truly, truly sad.  ...

Make Sense??
May 06, 2010

Hypertension ocular losses.  is that right?? does it make sense?? ...