A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Worried about being able to even make what I used to make doing - the VR

Posted: Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn't enought for my 2 children to live on either.  I hope it gets better.  I need to be doing at least 3500-4000 lines a day to be near where I used to be.  I just needed to vent.  I am so disappointed in this job these days. 

Exactly - FeelYourPain

[ In Reply To ..]
You are lucky you are up to 1800 a day. Today I have worked 5 hours so far and I have done 873. I am also a single mom with 2 kids and I get no child support. Anyway, just wanted to say I feel your frustration. I'm right there with you and don't know what to do. Seems straight typing jobs are hard to come by these days. Actually, ANY job at all is hard to come by. I am used to having my own accounts for the past 10 years, so coming from that to THIS is a shock to say the least. I may have to go account-hunting again, but I wonder if I can get anything with all this EMR stuff going on these days. Well, good luck to you and I hope you can get your VR line count up, or maybe find something better.

forget about VR saving my hands as many have put it on here, I'm typing - just as much on VR to fix this stuff

[ In Reply To ..]

You're not alone. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
VR has turned this from a tolerable way to make a semi-decent living into a mind-numbing, soul-crushing, minimum-wage job. The claim that VR would make us more productive was an outright lie. The truth, as most of us have now come to learn, is that our line counts have remained stagnant, if not dropped, while our pay has been cut by nearly half. Worse yet is how the nature of the work has become so repetitive and tiresome. With transcription, there was at least a sense of accomplishment when finishing a report. Even if it wasn't much, there was a certain satisfaction in having actually created a physical document using the knowledge one gained through training. It made it much easier to engage with the dictation and made the reports less prone to errors. Now it's just day after day of editing indecipherable garbage spit out by a badly programmed computer and being yelled at when you can't make it perfect without working for free. There is no longer any dignity in this work and certainly no way to make a living.

Well said - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

VR/SR - STACE

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy do I feel your pain, and the worst part is when a straight typing job is posted, there is soooo much competition out here, you have to be one on the 1st to apply!

I did a little over 2000 lines for my day yesterday, but so sad it is all being paid - 4.5 cents a line

[ In Reply To ..]
This is my second week of work and I like the accounts I have, but don't see how I will ever get to 4000 lines in a day as every document I have to edit has a large amount of editing to be done in each document.

how about straight transcription - Meee

[ In Reply To ..]
on the reports that dont make it through the VR for whatever reason and yet you get paid the same amount as if you edited or maybe a couple cents more, but not equal to what your line rate used to be, how does that even make sense? I think that is so not right!! After years of hearing no money for a 'raise', they finally came up with something to pay even less :(. I do not know how these companies justify this :(.
yeah, I was offered 2 cents a line less for straight transcription for typing the - same physicians
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been typing for years. I turned down the office and found another job. It makes no sense to me why I would not be paid the same rate of pay because some doctors are going VR and others are not, the VR was offered at 4.5 cents. I still to this day have not figured out why I was worth 2 cents more for straight transcription before VR came onto the scene. There is no justification
sorry should say offer not office - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...

Can You Make Any $$ With VR???
Feb 23, 2013

Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times.  I have been doing straight transcription for 35 years and am about to switch to VR editing at 0.45 cents per line.  Good Grief.  Can I make any money doing this??  My straight transcription accounts have all switched over about 80% of their work to VR and left all the truly terrible dictators on straight.  ...

How Much Do You Make?
Jul 22, 2013

Make's One Wonder--sm
Aug 07, 2013

Apparently the account I work on will be going completely offshore.  I am being moved to an account that I know has work (at least for now, not sure how many others will be switched to this one too).  I have to wonder though when will be the point when accounts go offshore and people are just fired.  While people do quit, is it enough to ensure there is still work stateside.  I have things that need to be taken care of.  New tires, new brakes, a new refrigerator, etc.&n ...

Does VR Make Anyone
Jul 27, 2014

after doing report after report?  Most of the reports I do are long, and there are so many incorrect words, looking at the mess that makes so sense, following along with the words,  and correcting literally makes me nauseated.   I feel like my eyeballs are crossed trying to focus in where the dictator is which is hard when the words I see are not the words I hear.  Sure can tell a transcriptionist had no part in developing this crap. I have ...

I Have Never Had So Much Make-up Pay!
Jan 21, 2015

After celebrating having no make-up pay last paycheck, I have an absolutely horrific amount of make-up pay this paycheck. The difference?????? Cesspool, a lot of bad audio and even worse ASR output than the normal terrible output. Got told today that my minor error rate is above metrics. They apparently have decided to inflict that on us now, despite the fact that I have passed every audit. They have also been auditing us every day. Gotta measure every bit they can think of! Oh what ...

I Cannot Make My C-LPH......
Jun 26, 2015

to save my life!  ...

What If MQ Decides To Make Us All Become MME's!
Jan 12, 2010

Didn't MQ make the CTL's become MME's?  If that happens to the MT's and you reject it, I assume you will be fired and if so, can you still collect unemployment?  What if you they point blank and say, you have to become an MME or you will have look elsewhere.  Can you somehow collect unemployment whether you quit or get fired or will you lose out unemployment benefits.  Basically, it is a no win situation for us MT's?  ...

Sorry, But Does This Make Sense?
Jan 17, 2010

There is a tachycardia present with a rate of 175 without atopic beats. ...

MED Term Cannot Make Out!
Jan 26, 2010

I can NOT make out the word on my dication tape!! It is a drug sounds like On-Seff...........I know I've used it before but I just can't remember the spelling... HELP PLEASE anyone!!! Lol ...

Does This Make Sense - Please Sm.
Feb 03, 2010

He does s/l weigh with the natural resting position to external rotation.   ...

Does This All Make Sense?
Feb 03, 2010

long day and not sure this all sounds correct. tia.   MRI scan does show a complete tear of the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff with a retracted tendon.  It also shows a partial tear of the subscapularis tendon and transverse humeral ligament.  There is also splitting of the biceps tendon in the glenohumeral joint.  He has an anterior/inferior labral tear and some paralabral cysts, and severe degenerative changes in the acromioclavicular joint and some degenerativ ...

Does This Make Sense-
Feb 07, 2010

Knee range of motion is lacking 5 degrees of full extension to 110 degrees, at which point there is soft tissue approximation. ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

How Do You Make Expansions
Jun 30, 2010

How do you make expansions.  I know F4 is to turn it off and on but how do you make new ones,  I am having stress which makes my brain malfunction. ...

Trying To Make Sense Out Of This
Mar 31, 2010

I agree that the MT biz has become extremely hard and frustrating, but I am copying and pasting something I read below because if I had responded to that, it would have been lost, as messages don't get updated on this board, and I would like other's opinions.  "You are absolutely right. I had worked for a couple of other good companies before going back to MQ, and found that the "experience" I got from MQ was not very good at all. The new companies followed the Book of Style 3, w ...

You CAN Make Big Bucks With VR!! NOT
Apr 18, 2010

Poster below crows about how much money they make with VR.  What are these big bucks, you struggling VR people ask?  Poster states they clear $1000 a pay period--A whole $24,000 a year!  THOSE ARE THE BIG BUCKS??????  Sad, truly, truly sad.  ...

Make Sense??
May 06, 2010

Hypertension ocular losses.  is that right?? does it make sense?? ...

Do More Make Less, Yessiree!!!!
May 15, 2010

Okay fellow MT'ers.  Gestapo measures are in place nationwide as I see it.  Just informed by MTSO that since the new platform is going to be so wonderful, that I will be able to double or triple my production, (Right!!!) hence I will be getting 2 cents a line less for speech.  Okay, as an  IC , I pay all all own expenses, SS, equipment, internet, (HIPAA room), utilities, electronic and book references, education, wrists, fingers, feet and toes, so take another ...

Things That Make Me Go Hmm
May 19, 2010

Have ya ever wondered, WHY is it that we get "audited" when we are having really, really bad work days? Why does the "computer randomly chose" (ha!) the most difficult, awful report to review?   My latest audit was on a dictator I had NEVER EVER DONE before, on a brand spanking new account, was 1098 minutes and ASR and ESL!  I got an 84%.  (Hey! as far as I'm concerned that should have been an A+++!!  Least I gave them something that looked like a report.) I a ...

Unable To Make Out!
Jun 27, 2010

The doc is saying " This PI (hear as PI, not sure what it is)  is a 9-year-old white male who is in good health and ( I hear it is cola, after the and, could it be colon?) earlier this am when he presented quick complaints with headache, fever, chills _____ ( hear as provia)for next to his nausea and vomiting ____ ( hear as " times wound). Looks like I cannot get on in this field much longer, if I hear to doctors transcribing this way. Please help! ...

Does This Make Sense
Jul 15, 2010

His psychotic symptoms have always been [s/l a vague and oddness] ...

What Do You Do To Make Yourself Comfortable
Jul 30, 2010

I get soo uncomfortable sitting for at least 8 hours every day.  My right arm and hand just ache/sore constantly, and my fingers, especially on my right hand, are really getting painful.  I sit with my keyboard on my lap (on a pillow), sit with a pillow underneath and behind me.  My heel even hurts from using the foot pedal.  I'm wondering if a left hand keyboard would work for me, or an ergonomic.  I've used an ergonomic before (it broke) and didn't recal ...