A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Heads up to the MT's being picked to death. sm - chillywilly

Posted: Dec 11, 2009

Hi folks, I'm an MME and just want to know that I don't like picking your reports to death.  When I have to correct a report, I usually leave comments to help you along.  However, we were told that if anything is missing from the ADT screen, or if we see 1 little mistake, we have to review the whole report.  If the ADT screen is correct, then, unless you're on 100%, we just correct where the QA marker is.  I can't tell you how many times the date of service is left off or other things that are supposed to be in the ADT screen, according to the profile, are left off and I have to review the whole thing at $0.03 a line.  I even leave notes so that the next time the MT can fill in the ADT correctly and not have me nit-pick the report.  It really sucks.  So, if you don't want the report nit-picked, fill in the ADT screen correctly, so I won't have to.  Also, I was wondering, does anybody read the comments that are left for them?  If you don't, please post a note here, and I won't bother leaving them any more, and just continue to nit-pick away.  You guys don't want to be nit-picked and I don't want to nit-pick, so why don't we just work together and maybe everybody can be happy.  Thank you for your time.

To chillywilly - huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't get very many comments and would appreciate them so as to know what the MME is thinking sometimes.

As far as ADT, you can't make up what doesn't exist. There is an account where they don't give you the info and a lot of it doesn't populate.

Huh? - chilly willy

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me give you an example. One of the accounts says if no date is dictated, enter the date of dictation into the date of service. Sounds easy, right? Yet, 8 times out of 10, it doesn't get filled in. Of course on other accounts, if it isn't there, you can't fill it in, you're right. However, when there are instructions to fill in things with "none, none,MD" or fill in the date of service with whatever is in the date of dictation, isn't that pretty simple? That is what drives me nuts.

yep - huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to say that I fully understand what you mean.

However, I am particular about filling that stuff in. None of my particular accounts actually say to fill in with none, none, MD, and I do have one that I come across that does allow the date of dictation as date of service. I am particular about following what the account says.

I always leave a QA note as to why an ADT field - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
was not filled in, such as the resident didn't dictate who is the signing nonresident physician. It's very frustrating that doctors continue making the same omissions, so I have the message in my word expander. Protects my butt, MQ's butt and that way you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time or try to read my mind.

Also an MME and was not told the same things - you were told. I was told:

[ In Reply To ..]
that if I happened to see a major error in the report as I was going from blank to blank, then I had to do 100% QA -- but not for a "little mistake."

I was not told to do 100% QA for ADT problems at all. Those problems are addressed with an ADT Feedback note.

I too leave lots of notes because my 1st and 2nd QCs (I'm on my 3rd now) stated I needed to provide the BOS 2 reference every time I made that sort of a correction, the Internet link if applicable, or reference to the CP or MQ Guidelines.

All of this is very time consuming at 3 cpl but I had hoped the notes were being read.

Holy cow! That's beyond the call of duty! - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
That's way too big of a requirement for 3 cents. Maybe write the reference for gross errors, but certainly not for all those inconsequential commas. Although, if all the MMEs had to do this, maybe there would be some consistency in QA'ing and the MTs wouldn't be going so nutty because we adjust and comply with what was corrected in one document only to be corrected for that change in another document.

I do read any QA notes I see. Unfortunately, - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I rarely see any. Usually just the correction with no explanation. I'm sure it's because MMEs don't get paid enough though, just like we don't get paid enough to search for things like when a dictator refuses to spell a doctors name for a CC, an obscure city, and the like.

So that's why I end up spending so much - time looking up names of

[ In Reply To ..]
other doctors and cities and medical facilities and living facilities ? Because MTs think they do not get paid enough to "search for things like (that)" ? I thought they just didn't know how to do effective internet searches and I have been detailing how I find the information to fill in all those blanks, assuming they had done exhaustive but unfruitful searches before finally giving up and leaving blanks for the MMEs. Well... jeepers.... !

You must be in a different region - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
My region does things differently. It never ceases to amaze me how each region conducts protocol so differently. Especially after great efforts to make us all the same.

Question re feedback - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the feedback comments, but have never figured out how to keep them on long enough to read the whole thing. I hover the mouse, but the text is only there for a second.

feedback - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
Click on the comments tab on the top right of the screen.

Thanks! I must be the only MT who didn't know that! NM - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I do not mind, unless... - dinged

[ In Reply To ..]
It really, really bugs me when an MME leaves me a message like "per BOS2, numbers are arabic," but the 2 numbers were next to eachother (insulin 70/30 ten units at bedtime) and then they change the sentence to insulin 70/30 given 10 units at bedtime. It is annoying that MMEs can change the sentence structure, but if I do it, then I am told TYPE VERBATIM (on my not verbatim accounts).

Or, "per BOS2, no apostrophe S on eponyms," but if they read BOS2 it says it is acceptable. WHY put a note in there that is INCORRECT?

I think there are some very good MMEs, however, I also think some stink and abuse their authority.

About MMEs leaving messages referring to - BOS-2

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think this has anything to do with being a good MME versus abusing one's authority. It has to do with what the MMEs were told to do in training or by their QC or CCM. As one poster noted, this seems to be different according to the area we are in.

1. Numbers: BOS2 says either to recast sentence (for numbers starting a sentence) or write one out when juxtaposed.
2. About 's on eponyms: BOS2 says "acceptable" with 's -- but prefers no 's.

So depending on what your MME was told to do about the eponym situation, 's will either be left as ok or "corrected."

My first QC said we absolutely needed to go by what is BOS-2 preferred rather than what is just "acceptable." This would mean no 's on eponyms. Same QC said to always change numbers 1-9 to numerals (except when juxtaposed) because that is BOS-2 preferred. In training session, trainer said to "correct" the order of words. If dictator said "no clubbing or cyanosis" and MT put "no cyanosis or clubbing" -- it was to be corrected to what was dictated.

Our work is also being audited so I think we all try to follow our instructions as closely as possible. There is no "authority" to be "abused" in this situation since MMEs are not doing the audits that are graded. It is certainly in our best interest to put as few notes as possible given the time it takes to put them in. I have started putting fewer notes in the hopes I can eventually get above minimum wage with this 3 cpl pay scale.

In the North region, we were told the same thing, to - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
do 100% review if ANYTHING is wrong with the ADT.

nit picking - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
Right now 99% of the reports I QA are on 100% QA because of the work type, not the doctor or the MT. You all would be amazed at the stuff we see...words made up, words left out for who knows what reason, typos which I have to presume were ignored during spell check, and the ADT--don't even get me started! It seems to me that I put the same QA notes over and over to no avail. I do not like to nit pick, but if something is wrong, it's just wrong. Doesn't matter if it was a simple error. If I don't change it and then later get audited, I get in trouble. So if it comes down to me being nice and not nit picking so you don't get mad at me or I edit so I don't get in trouble, guess what? I'm going to edit it. I do not, however, change the order of words, i.e. no clubbing or cyanosis to no cyanosis or clubbing. That's just ridiculous! Even though it takes time, I do try to document why I changed something even though it seems nobody is reading our notes anyway.

I think one of the reasons for making sure text is in - is in the order dictated

[ In Reply To ..]
rather than in the order of someone's autocorrect or autotext is that all straight transcription is in the process of being "learned" by ASR to eventually be switched over.

Right now about 7/10 of the reports I QA are 100% QA because of either the ESL or difficult-to-comprehend doctor or the MT/ME -- not because of the work type as is your case.

I am finding all of the same "stuff" you mention above--the invented words and also words/phrases/whole sentences just left out. (I assume this is because they are not understood.)

I too put the same QA notes over and over. They get shorter and more succinct as the shift wears on. I start wanting to capitalize words and add exclamation points when I put the same notes for the same MTs/MEs multiple times. When it gets to that point I e-mail the specifics to the CCM.

Having to un-number numbered lists or number un-numbered lists is also very time consuming and could be so easily avoided -- just follow CP or MQ Guidelines, whichever one is applicable.

And yes, a lot of the picky editing I do is because I know I will at some point be audited and I know my QC will be picky.

nit picking - MME
[ In Reply To ..]
You make a valid point, but we have been "teaching" ASR for years now. It is not a willing student. I too want to put my notes in caps and add exclamation points. It is so frustrating to add the same note over and over.

To chillywilly - ORMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You must be the only one who leaves comments as I have NEVER gotten one comment, but would like to see explanations, tips, etc. I would read them as they may prevent another QA marker later on.

I rarely read them anymore. Why? Because (a) much - of the "correction" is truly nit-picking, s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
and usually makes no difference to the correctness of the report, meaning of a sentence, patient care, safety, etc; (b) Many "corrections" are contradicted by further "corrections" the very next day, (c) and some of the "corrections" are incorrect, according to company job description and/or the "Holy-Book". (the so-called B.O.S.), and finally, (d) I don't need a big chunk of my puny income going towards antacids.

I read all QA notes - MDIMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If a QA has to take the time to correct a report because I cannot make something out, then I owe them the respect to read and learn from my mistakes..that is a no brainer and that is my work that is being turned out, and I want it to be correct. So, thanks QA for listening to some pretty horrible stuff that I cannot make out from terrible dictators..your job is not an easy one.

I do read comments. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not one of the complainers about MME, but yes, I do always read comments and I appreciate those. It is also really nice when I am left a positive comment about my work.

It's nice to know that somebody pays attention. sm - chillywilly

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate the comments and feel better that we pretty much want the same thing, to produce a good report and work together. Your comments really help and show me that at least with you all, the comments aren't a waste of time.

Similar Messages:

Well, That Cherry Got Picked!
Jun 21, 2010

Had a 14-plus minute traditional report by a good dictator show up in my queue, and I hurried through the VR report I was doing to get to it.  But, BAM!  As soon as I finished the report and went to the next report, that cherry report was plucked and gone!  It was only there for a few minutes, so don't tell me it timed out.  I HATE that!   Oh, but thanks for leaving the reports done by the awful ESL.  That was kind.  ...

Thinking Of Applying At TT - Has Work Load Picked Up?
Jun 20, 2011

nm ...

Next To Acute Care, What Is A Good Worktype That Can Be Picked Up
Jan 07, 2012

TIA! ...

Are You Getting Fiesa Audited Daily? Mine Have Picked Up.
Nov 26, 2013

I have noticed my Fiesa audits have picked up significantly.  Several reports a day usually.  Maybe a day or 2 in a week where there is no audits.  Wondering if they are zoning in on me or if this is norm across the board. ...

Death In Family
Sep 10, 2010

Does MQ offer bereavement pay?  I don't have any PTO time left, but have to attend a funeral out of town.  (another expense I cannot afford...)  ...

Been Audited To Death
Sep 01, 2011

Feel like I am being targeted.  ...

I Know This Has Been Talked To Death But Has Anyone That Had
Aug 06, 2012

their work go on Epic had a little bit of work left for them or nothing at all.  I guess I am just obsessing about this because I am going through it now.  I have posted before but just feel better when people that have worked with Epic can explain what I can expect or not expect.  I dont feel like looking for another job but maybe that will happen with all these jobs by 2014.  Isnt that when it has to be in place as far as EMR.  I wonder why my hospital picked Epic but ...

Just A QA Heads Up
Dec 18, 2012

I've only recently discovered this.  If doctor dictates the age of TP and it's wrong, but you can look at the demo and fix it, don't.  Just blank it.  I just had a major error come to my E-mail about this.  I had changed the age, probably because the physician stated it wrong.  However, when you look up a report in escrption, it doesn't tell the patient's date of birth so you have no way to prove anything.  I'm blanking from now on. &nb ...

HEADS UP REGARDING ASR
Jan 06, 2014

We all know this, but it seems things are getting worse with regard to ASR. I've been noticing it is substituting right for left and vice versa even though the dictation is crystal clear. Also, it is substiting Mr. for Mrs. or Ms. and vice versa even though the dictation is crystal clear. As someone noted previously, it is still making blatant errors in numbers (ages, lab values, vital signs, etc.). These are only a few out of a zillion examples lately. I'm thinking that ASR is regress ...

I Know It's Been Said Many Times Before And Beaten To Death..........but
Oct 03, 2010

But do they really think throwing us on multiple accounts constantly is going to help quality?  What IS their motivation for this?   It's just stupid.  I would be more than happy to learn, say, THREE, accounts like the back of my hand, but it is impossible to really keep 12 accounts straight, even if you make notes for yourself, refer to them, you are GOING to NOT get it right, not without accepting 3 bux an hour anyway.  It would just be SMARTER to figure out how ...

Black Screen Of Death?
Jul 12, 2012

? ...

If American MTs Get QCd To Death, How In The World
Aug 03, 2013

are MTs from India doing well? I was born and raised in the U.S., I was an English/writing major, and I'm QCd into the ground, which makes me wonder - how the heck are people from India and other countries doing as MTs? Can they REALLY do better than those of us who grew up speaking the language, have spent years doing MT, especially since some of us are English experts (and probably ALL of us are English experts compared to those in India)?! What is going on here, seriously? ...

E-mail Regarding Eileen's Death
Sep 21, 2013

What do you all think about e-mail from TSM regarding death of one of our co-workers? Said family only wake but that she wanted nothing more. Sounds to me like she was depressed and committed suicide, probably over the stress that Nuance has been causing in her life. That's just what I got out of the e-mail. I know sometimes there are circumstances where one feels they're stuck with their current situation, and there is no other way out. Maybe that's what happened. I know I'v ...

What Does RHC Stand For When Referring To Death?
Apr 22, 2014

Dictated:  "RHC was at 1230 hours and the coroner will be notified." What does RHC stand for?  Thank you! ...

ANP Transcription - Heads Up To Everyone Out There
Jul 17, 2010

Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone out there.  I have been working for ANP Transcription out of New York for three months now and will NEVER work for them again.  They push, push, push for work to get done but can't seem to send out paychecks on time.  I have had to call and email each month.  Mysteriously, my very first paycheck didn't make the check run and my second check I was told was mailed out on July 9, but I have yet to receive that one, too. ...

Heads Up On Teletype Anyone?
Aug 16, 2010

nm ...

Webmedx Heads Up!
Oct 10, 2010

This was such an important message I felt it needed to have it's own post.  It kind of got lost below in the thread.  Anyone who is going through this type of situation can really benefit from this information - I know it was powerful salve for my heart.  Thank you for posting this Former Manager.    Cause for concern at any company - sm - Former Manager Posted: Oct 9th, 2010 - 9:01 am In Reply to: WMX bloodletting - eaMost MTSOs of any decent size at all have pr ...

Yale-NH MTs HEADS UP
Nov 22, 2011

Epic is coming to Yale-NH very soon.  They've posted lots of Epic jobs on their website. MTs working this account prepare yourselves to be slaughtered. Epic came to our account and we are now producing less than 100 lines per day. EMR is mandated to be in place in ALL HOSPITALS, DOCTOR'S OFFICES AND CLINICS by 2015. MTs have rounded to corner to the end. ...

Warning/Heads Up To
Oct 01, 2012

If you have one of those accounts where they want all medication allergies capitalized, note that DQS 7.1 DOES NOT pick up all-cap typos/misspells.  This would include typos in the physical exam as well if the subheadings are all caps, but the medication one is more critical. Geeeeeeez.  Just when you think you're sailing along...   ...

Heads Up To Anyone In Houston, TX -
Jan 22, 2015

I just came across a job on CareerBuilder.com for an on-site pathology transcriptionist at Orion Healthcorp - M-F 8-5 paying $18-$22 an hour!!! I would be applying myself, but I live in PA :-(  Almost sounds too good to be true!  Just thought I would pass it along to anyone looking in that area.   ...

Am I Being Pecked To Death Or Do I Need To Leave The MT World?
Dec 09, 2009

I am beginning to think that everything I know is absolutely wrong!  I failed my audit, which is only the 2nd time in my 12 years here that I actually had an audit. I am being marked wrong for things like eponyms, which in BOS 2 is acceptable to use, but preferred to drop the 's, but is still acceptable.  Also, for not numbering the diagnosis section even thought it was dictated in paragraph form. Is everyone being marked for stuff like this?  I have a second job where I g ...

Heads Up. Everybody's Credentials Need To Be Verified. Saw On
Dec 29, 2009

the news that a new company has sprung up fabricating resumes to give those folks with no experience some experience and education.  All those claiming to be CMTs need to be checked.  Word has it, this too is going on along with some name changing to confuse the issue. ...

Heads Up For South Region
May 14, 2011

If any of you were low on work before, its going to get lower.  A big hospital just started to send some of their work to India. ...

Precision Transcription -- A Heads Up
Aug 03, 2013

I just noticed on another board that this company posted an ad and I wanted to give those of you thinking about applying for the company a heads up.  I worked for the company for a short period of time.  I believe she will hire newbies to MT which is a positive.  However, there is "no pooling of the work types."  There are accounts that are both straight typing and VR, and since straight pays more, you have more people doing that than the VR work.  There are also, what I ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Death In The Family And Cannot Find The Bereavement Policy
Mar 01, 2011

Just had a death in the family and cannot find the berevement policy.  Can someone tell me what it is?  In my state of mind can't find it. THanx ...

Working Myself To Death For Slave Wages And About To Quit
Mar 25, 2011

I need some real input.  I did my research on this field and went to one of the best schools.  I work hard and do excellent work.  I've been doing this for almost a year, and I want to know when I'll reach minimum wage.  I get 7.5 to 8 cents a line.  I am technically full-time, but they don't always give me enough work. I worked for one company that couldn't keep me busy enough, switched companies, then decided to work for BOTH.  According to th ...

Sick To Death Of Spending Time Testing.
Dec 23, 2012

Why can't we do the test once (they seem to all be about the same) and have it posted somewhere centrally for these potential employers?  If you can't get footpedal to work with the transcription section it is a real time consumer and PITA. ...

Offshore MT Error & Patient Death In Alabama
Dec 25, 2012

Transcription error costs Thomas hospital $140 million dollars and woman loses her life. Thomas Hospital has been hit with a $140 verdict in a civil case involving allegations that outsourcing contributed to errors that resulted in a Daphne woman dying in 2008 from a medicine overdose. (Press-Register file photo) BAY MINETTE, Alabama – The family of a Daphne woman who received a lethal dose of medicine due to an error made by workers in India hired to save money on the prepar ...

From MSN, They Are Calling It The Death Of Middle Class And We Are On The List.
Jan 23, 2014

see link ...