A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

survey: How do you proof your work - soofie

Posted: Nov 08, 2011

My manager (not an MT) is challenging me on the method I proof my work.

How do you proof?

a: listening to the audio at a higher speed while you review and correct the text on the screen?

b: print out on paper, read, and then correct on the computer?

c: read the screen with no audio and correct as you go?

I assume you mean VR/ASR... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been editing VR for about 10 years (out of 20+ transcribing). I've never heard of B and C. I do it A (which is also the way the companies who actually created VR programs, Dictaphone for example, personally came in and trained us). Of course, however, some doctors you can't listen to at a higher speed if they're bad dictators and/or speech gets every other word wrong.

I do straight typing from voice files - BB

[ In Reply To ..]
C.

After transcribing, I go back and read over what I have typed, without listening again. Depending on the length of the report, I do it either at the end or section by section.

I am looking for typos and grammar. I do not listen to the dictation again to make sure I got every actual word correct. I am sure enough of my listening skills that I am not going to do it twice.

However, I don't have anyone coming behind me and listening to that dictation and reading my report to make sure I did it correctly. If I have transcribed it and there are no flags, my boss sends it on to the client.

I am my own QA, other than the dictator him/herself, and that is how I proof/QA my work.

Usually C - ozmt

[ In Reply To ..]
For most of my accounts I can proof as I go. For some dictators I will proofread the entire letter. I do go back and listen to any flagged areas a couple of times before sending to QA and will vary the speed as sometimes going faster or slower than I originally transcribed at means I can pick up the blanked word/s.

For a brand new client I might use A for a couple of files just to be sure I've not missed anything.

I also do QA and we have to listen to the entire file rather than just the flags (similar to VR) and I use A - I go as fast as I can that I can still understand.

The only time I used B (printing to paper) was when I sat my MT school's final and went over everything with a fine tooth comb before submitting.

My Method - JR

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, am assuming ASR that is already on the screen.

I listen word for word, edit/proof as I go, then go back and do a full read against the voice, only the 2nd time around, I speed up the tape.

When I transcribe, I usually just proof as I go, might go back and do a full listen and read if I had been struggling.

Proof as I go - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
The only time I relisten is if I have a blank, and I never go back and reread/proof an entire report once done with the document. I might relisten to a particular section if it was questionable in some way or particularly difficult.

IMO - a quality, experienced MT should not need to go back over each entire document to "proof" her/his work, except for rare occasions.

Whats the difference between proofing as you go - and doing it all at the end

[ In Reply To ..]
There is none.

As-you-go or all-at-the-end. It has nothing to do with quality or experience.

bcz the mind's eye can trick you into seeing words - that are not there.

[ In Reply To ..]
I carefully edit and proofread as I go because quite honestly they do not pay me enough to go back and listen again. However, if I am being QA'd then I do go back and listen a second time. 99% of the time I do not miss anything, but there is that 1% where either I did not catch and incorrect dosage or lab value, or flat out miss a word that I SWEAR was there..which leads me to my hypothesis that as we read medical records - proofing and editing - our mind's eye will "trick" us into seeing words and phrases we KNOW should be there and in fact are not..especially if we are trying to do this stuff quickly to make any sort of $$

Money. Over the year, lots of it. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Exactly! - Ayn
[ In Reply To ..]
IMO - For an experienced, quality MT it is unneccessary to always relisten/reread/proof after typing the report. We should be able to get it right the 1st time. I'm not trying to bash newbies or anyone else, just saying what works for me. And I realize there are certain instances when "proofing" is necessary for anyone of any level, but as a general rule IMO you should be proofing/editing/correcting as you go rather than going back over a report multiple times. IMO, that approach takes much more time and, therefore, you lose $$. I've seen MTs who had no confidence in their work who did this, going back over every entire report once if not twice. Their reports were full of blanks and flags because they just wanted to type the report quickly, not looking anything up, not correcting typos, etc. Then, at the end, they would listen & relisten to the report, looking up blanks, spellchecking, correcting, proofing, etc. -- they looked at how quickly they typed the report but not the TOTAL time it took them to finish and submit the report. They couldn't make minimum wage, but couldn't understand why because "well, gee, I type fast."

For me, it is much faster to think as I type, research as I type, and correct/proof/edit as I type rather than fly through a report not worrying about mistakes because I'm going to go back and correct/proof/edit once I'm done. Sure, I typed the report faster, but then how much time do I spend going back and proofing/correcting/editing? If that works for others, great, but for me it works much better and faster to do all that as I go.

I manage to research blanks, look up lab values/meds/etc., correct my typos, correct the doc's garbled grammar/punctuation/sentence structure, etc, etc as I go and still do 200 lph with an average QA of 99.5, so "proofing" as I go does work for me - but I understand it may not for others. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Similar Messages:

PROOF SAINCE DOES NOT PAY!!!
Apr 05, 2010

I got this email this morning - yes, he's threatening to sue me over my paycheck - Remember, he owes me $415: I have your email (received Friday 4/2/2010 at 3.30 PM) wherein you have agreed to the settlement offered by us. We are prepared to send your check for $171.00, as you have agreed to below, by Express Mail today so that you may receive it tomorrow.  Finally, today I have received some emails from you that were sent to the Nevada Labor Commission among a host of other people.& ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

Proof Is In The Pudding
May 27, 2010

I was guilty of taking my audits for granted and putting my tail between my legs and truding on, thinking my situation was horrible and would never change.  Then I read about many MQ MTs challenging their audits, calling QA on the feedbacks, keeping logs, keeping copies to compare before and after QA and today I had my opportunity to call them on a HUGE discrepancy! I got a score of 89% on a report, had 2 "critical" errors, had ALL the dictated headings changed, and added at the end of the ...

Do You Proof Your Work?
Sep 22, 2011

I'm too slow and have heard other people say they don't proof their work.  I am so tempted but find too many mistakes to dare try it.  I'm curious how many do and don't, how much it helps with line count (when you don't), and if there is a good way to train yourself to do it right the first time so it's not necessary. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

From The Post Below About PROOF
Apr 07, 2013

Maybe the company is going down.  Post stated:  Oh, and I understand that 100+ others received the same notification on the same day. Reasoning...none given other than it was an at-will company. Other employees were called out of client meetings to inform them that they were no longer employed...and this included all levels of employees - from managers to MTs. ...

Tell Me How Your Proof Your Report
Jun 08, 2013

I'm curious as to what your most effective way is to proofread reports.  When the report is short, only several minutes, I don't have a problem listening to the entire dictation again and read back through what I typed, but when you have one that's, let's say, an hour or more long, I'm really cutting my pay in half.  Do you go through the entire report while listening to the audio again, or do you proof two or three sentences at a time while still wor ...

How Many Of You Really Proof At End Of Report?
Sep 16, 2014

The account I have has some extremely horrid dictators and about 75% are ESL. They were hounding me to get my line count up to goal.  We can only edit as fast as they talk and none use the pause button, making our stats take a nosedive. The only way I could meet goal was to quit proofing at the end of the report and force myself to focus and proof as I go.  How many oithers do this and what do you think of your accuracy proofing as you edit?  Are their some dictators that require ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Proof About MModal's REAL Pay?
Apr 21, 2013

You all have helped giving me averages based on line output and cpl, but I know MModal is going to try to make it look like they're really giving us a good deal, and the hospital doesn't want to pay us unemployment.  Where can I go to cut and paste something into a document that PROVES the TRUE amount a normal transcriptionist would earn full time?  Anybody know? ...

Unemployment And Have To Show Proof Of The Job Search
Jul 05, 2013

When looking for a job and you're on unemployment and have to show proof of the job search, is it possible to use all these MT companies? I mean, we take all this time to submit applications and take tests and then don't get hired...it seems we could use them as job contacts. Has anyone done this and it was okay? ...

Proof Of Work For Small Claims Court?
Apr 08, 2010

So hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm thinking I may need to take someone to small claims court.  Would my invoices work? Logs? Or do I need the actual reports and if so how does HIPAA play into that? Any advice? many thanks busybee ...

Proof Positive - The Harder I Try, The More Careful I Am, The Worse I Do.
Mar 19, 2014

Failed another audit. Third failure in a row and worse than the last 2. Going slower, proofreading, trying harder does absolutely no good. Fooled by ASR a few times too. I am also sick of getting dinged occasionally because AAMT/ADHI decides to change the way something should be written. I have been transcribing for 30 years. I was so careful that, for the first time in a real long time, I have some makeup pay, i.e., I made less than minimum wage. Although I need to inform my QAM that ...

Do Companies Legally Have To Provide You With Proof Of Your Line Counts?
Oct 27, 2009

The company I'm working for has no way to verify my line count on line, nor do they provide a count on my paystub.  I have no way to verify the lines they are paying me for.  Is this legal? ...

Could You Talking Of "impending" Sale Please Post Some Info/proof?
Sep 08, 2012

It's just reorganization because of Nuance buying Transcend, as far as I can see, and we all knew that was coming. As far as MM buying Nuance, you have to be kidding. MM was just bought by Chase, and they are in bad shape financially. They (MM) refused an offer from an unnamed company prior to the sale, and that offer was much higher than Chase's offer, FYI. There was speculation that Nuance was the company, however, no proof. Nuance is riding high with Nina and everything else the ...

OOW Survey
Feb 02, 2011

I am interested in learning how many currently practicing MTs struggle to get their lines in due to their being "no work available."  Do you find yourself out of work and having to try to make up lines outside your usual schedule? Only occasionally? Often? Every day? Seldom? Never happens?   Thanks everyone!Mary     Optional data: ...

Survey Says . . . .
Apr 03, 2011

to spell the abbreviation of subcutaneous?   is is subcu or subcut?  i have this argument every time with QA.  could i get someone to help me please?  thanks much in advance!!!!   ...

Oh Man... New Survey
Dec 05, 2011

If people were sincerely honest, it wouldnt change anything! ...

The Survey
Dec 06, 2011

Just read through the survey without answering the questions.  Waste of time!  No matter how many of us answer it and regardless of what we say, after it is all over they will tell us that MQ employees love the company.  This is just a way to try to placate us and make us think that our opinions count.  You can all take turns flogging me if I'm wrong. ...

My Take On The SURVEY.....
Dec 06, 2011

I am an MT who has been around for 14 years with this company and I have my gripes like all the rest of you.  I took the survey and stuck it to them when it mattered.  For example, when they ask if compensation encourages people to do their best, the obvious answer is "strongly disagree" right?  When they ask if compensation is clearly tied to performance....again "strongly disagree."  Whether our answers matter or not, it's our opportunity to vent our frustrations with ...

To Those Who Did Not Do The Survey
Dec 16, 2011

I had so much fun using words like despicable and abomination that I just couldn't help myself and filled it out 3 times.  I expect when all is said and done they will tell us that the vast majority of responses were positive and almost everyone loves the company but at least I had a few minutes of sheer enjoyment.  ...

Mq Survey
Dec 27, 2011

Wonder when we'll see the results of the survey!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Ya, right!  As if they would be truthful about it anyway! ...

And The SURVEY SAYS!
Sep 11, 2012

That the enhanced compensation is in place, we have been BOOSTED and we are one big happy globally rebranded party! Whoo-hoo! ...

And The Survey Says . . .
May 06, 2013

Like the opinion of a lowly MT/ME even matters. They are going to do what they want regardless of our "opinions." ...

Age Survey
Apr 01, 2014

But really,what hasn't?  Seeing lots of posts from 60+ and wonder what is the average age of MTs.  I will go first - age 61.   ...

Survey Of New Pay
Feb 02, 2015

Before the new pay rule game, I made 7.5 cents (3.75 cents for editing). Then when this new pay game started, I made less at 7 cents. However, I find lately I've been actually making noticeably more money with this pay game. You just got to keep quality and pending to QC under control. In fact, I think I now make a few hundred dollars more per month, if I keep it up, keeping quality up and QC pending down. I know some of you were actually paid 8 cents (4 cents for editing), so there is ...

Did Anyone Take The Survey?
May 15, 2015

Just curious. I'm about to unload on it, but wondered if anyone else did?? ...

Survey
Jun 06, 2015

For those who are comfortable sharing this info, what is the pay rate for VR (as opposed to straight typing) and what is the average amount of lines one can cover in an hour at MModal?  Thanks for your help. ...

Survey - How Many MTs Really Need Their Jobs
Jan 21, 2010

Question:  How many MTs really need their jobs and how many just do it for a little bit of extra pocket $$$ (have someone else  in the family who  is the main breadwinner)?  ...

MQ Central Survey And CMT
Mar 29, 2010

I wonder if we're all going to be forced to become CMTs?  That would be a great way to get rid of a lot of us. ...