A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you proof your work? - Wondering

Posted: Sep 22, 2011

I'm too slow and have heard other people say they don't proof their work.  I am so tempted but find too many mistakes to dare try it. 

I'm curious how many do and don't, how much it helps with line count (when you don't), and if there is a good way to train yourself to do it right the first time so it's not necessary.

Not as much as I did when I was paid better. - Now its all about crankin out those lines. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

How much difference does it make and plea for advice - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you estimate how much difference it makes in your line counts? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Not as much as I did." Does that mean you just skim them all or skip some completely?

Seriously you guys, I am on the verge of losing my job due to low line counts (and I have no idea if I would be able do better with a different company). I have tried everything I can think of except not proofing. Any other advice on this would be appreciated.

I feel like I am working plenty hard, but my counts just don't cut it for some reason.

Wondering - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Rather than asking how much difference it makes in line counts, you might ask what difference it makes in PATIENT CARE. Where are your priorities?
Priorities - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
I go above and beyond what I think many MTs to in many ways and cannot seem to let go of it (which is probably a bit of my line count problem). I have not attempted the not-proofing thing yet because I am worried about the errors that I might miss (I'm surprised you didn't get that out of my post).

The people I have heard speak of this before acted as though they had developed a technique where they are able to pay enough attention as they type to catch errors up front. However, I have found that I miss little words and when I see an expander opening I think it is ok, but then sometimes find it was actually the wrong one from transposing letters.

It would be very much appreciated if questions were addressed in a respectful manner. I don't understand why some of you feel the need to scold people.

Here is an actual helpful answer... - hopefully anyway
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand some people either, but anyway....

What I do is if I catch myself making a frequent typo, I add it to my autocorrect with an x on the end to make sure it is flagged by the spell checker, i.e. os, which does not get flagged, as it is a word, comes up osx, as I often make the mistake for is. Also, don't make expanders too similar to avoid that mistake. I also proof as I go and just give the document as a whole a quick skim before I send it. I have never gotten below 98% QA score. Good luck!
Thank you ... - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the help.

The autocorrect idea is a good one. I will give that a try.

I'm not so sure how well I can comply with the expander idea though. I have mega expanders to the point where I have had to veer off my normal pattern in multiple ways. I do find myself having to change some as I go because they are close enough that I get them mixed up for another I have added. I think I was originally trying to be too concise which is ok until you get so many made.

I think I am making them better now but still come across old ones I have to change. I think my biggest problem with them, however, is just typo transpostion, and it seems the faster I try to go the more fumble fingers I have.

I think my personality doesn't do well with the whole line count, blank limit, error making stuff hanging over my head. I tend to be overconscientious anyway, and I think it actually has a negative affect on my performance.
Same here - mamt
[ In Reply To ..]
I proof as I go, then a quick once over after I spell check it. Also, I don't spend a ton of time trying to get blanks the first time around as quite often you may hear it later in the report. I mark them, then go back and listen to them. I find this is faster for me. Good luck!
Oh yeah - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the reminder about leaving blanks and going back. I have been working on that one. Lol For some reason I have a hard time not searching or listening/relistening on the spot.

Aside from the fact they often mention it again later, as you said, often enough it's just easier to understand when you go back (part of the reason why QA can get things we don't) ... it seems we get sort of a pattern going in our heads that make us unbable to hear things correctly sometimes (like when you think it's some bizaare med term and it turns out to be 2 regular words that are plain as day when you go back). Duh!

Another thing that makes me cringe is when I do the search thing and then the dictator goes on to change, spell or clarify, etc. One should learn in a hurry, but I still find myself doing that sometimes.

Thanks again!
As I go - Cheesey
[ In Reply To ..]
I had super low line counts. Now I'm just doing the 1 pass. I proof as I go. I was worried about it too, but really, I've been doing quite well.

When I would do multiple passes, I found myself not paying much attention on the first pass. That is what lead to all the little errors I would find in the other passes which seemed to justify proofing the report so much. But doing one pass, I concentrate more right then.

BUT, I notice that numbers can get mixed up and medications can get heard wrong, so unless it was a super easy dictation, I usually always go back and listen to the medications and lab values again.

dear wondering, from a long, long time MT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to be one that said I proofed as I went. Then I was given an account that has very very strict QA oversight and discovered that I was not as perfect with my work as I once thought. Now I proof every report. But I probably spend no more than a few to 30 seconds per report proofing. So if you are taking very long to proof, try training yourself to scan quickly, reading for sense, etc, and not just slowly reading every single word. You might surprised how fast you can do this, and how you can train yourself to still catch the errors. I really do not like to take the time to proof, even quickly, but I'd much rather do that than have an error, repeated sentence, etc. In this business it is far better to be slow and be very accurate than to make as much money as you can and sacrifice any quality. Your reputation will precede you down the road and it's just a win-win situation all around. To specifically answer your question, the way I do it, it does not impact my line count enough to make a difference. IMHO, there is no substitute for proofing. Your speed in transcription and proofing will no doubt increase over time, but nothing trumps quality!

Similar Messages:

PROOF SAINCE DOES NOT PAY!!!
Apr 05, 2010

I got this email this morning - yes, he's threatening to sue me over my paycheck - Remember, he owes me $415: I have your email (received Friday 4/2/2010 at 3.30 PM) wherein you have agreed to the settlement offered by us. We are prepared to send your check for $171.00, as you have agreed to below, by Express Mail today so that you may receive it tomorrow.  Finally, today I have received some emails from you that were sent to the Nevada Labor Commission among a host of other people.& ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

Proof Is In The Pudding
May 27, 2010

I was guilty of taking my audits for granted and putting my tail between my legs and truding on, thinking my situation was horrible and would never change.  Then I read about many MQ MTs challenging their audits, calling QA on the feedbacks, keeping logs, keeping copies to compare before and after QA and today I had my opportunity to call them on a HUGE discrepancy! I got a score of 89% on a report, had 2 "critical" errors, had ALL the dictated headings changed, and added at the end of the ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

From The Post Below About PROOF
Apr 07, 2013

Maybe the company is going down.  Post stated:  Oh, and I understand that 100+ others received the same notification on the same day. Reasoning...none given other than it was an at-will company. Other employees were called out of client meetings to inform them that they were no longer employed...and this included all levels of employees - from managers to MTs. ...

Tell Me How Your Proof Your Report
Jun 08, 2013

I'm curious as to what your most effective way is to proofread reports.  When the report is short, only several minutes, I don't have a problem listening to the entire dictation again and read back through what I typed, but when you have one that's, let's say, an hour or more long, I'm really cutting my pay in half.  Do you go through the entire report while listening to the audio again, or do you proof two or three sentences at a time while still wor ...

How Many Of You Really Proof At End Of Report?
Sep 16, 2014

The account I have has some extremely horrid dictators and about 75% are ESL. They were hounding me to get my line count up to goal.  We can only edit as fast as they talk and none use the pause button, making our stats take a nosedive. The only way I could meet goal was to quit proofing at the end of the report and force myself to focus and proof as I go.  How many oithers do this and what do you think of your accuracy proofing as you edit?  Are their some dictators that require ...

Survey: How Do You Proof Your Work
Nov 08, 2011

My manager (not an MT) is challenging me on the method I proof my work. How do you proof? a: listening to the audio at a higher speed while you review and correct the text on the screen? b: print out on paper, read, and then correct on the computer? c: read the screen with no audio and correct as you go? ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Proof About MModal's REAL Pay?
Apr 21, 2013

You all have helped giving me averages based on line output and cpl, but I know MModal is going to try to make it look like they're really giving us a good deal, and the hospital doesn't want to pay us unemployment.  Where can I go to cut and paste something into a document that PROVES the TRUE amount a normal transcriptionist would earn full time?  Anybody know? ...

Unemployment And Have To Show Proof Of The Job Search
Jul 05, 2013

When looking for a job and you're on unemployment and have to show proof of the job search, is it possible to use all these MT companies? I mean, we take all this time to submit applications and take tests and then don't get hired...it seems we could use them as job contacts. Has anyone done this and it was okay? ...

Proof Of Work For Small Claims Court?
Apr 08, 2010

So hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm thinking I may need to take someone to small claims court.  Would my invoices work? Logs? Or do I need the actual reports and if so how does HIPAA play into that? Any advice? many thanks busybee ...

Proof Positive - The Harder I Try, The More Careful I Am, The Worse I Do.
Mar 19, 2014

Failed another audit. Third failure in a row and worse than the last 2. Going slower, proofreading, trying harder does absolutely no good. Fooled by ASR a few times too. I am also sick of getting dinged occasionally because AAMT/ADHI decides to change the way something should be written. I have been transcribing for 30 years. I was so careful that, for the first time in a real long time, I have some makeup pay, i.e., I made less than minimum wage. Although I need to inform my QAM that ...

Do Companies Legally Have To Provide You With Proof Of Your Line Counts?
Oct 27, 2009

The company I'm working for has no way to verify my line count on line, nor do they provide a count on my paystub.  I have no way to verify the lines they are paying me for.  Is this legal? ...

Could You Talking Of "impending" Sale Please Post Some Info/proof?
Sep 08, 2012

It's just reorganization because of Nuance buying Transcend, as far as I can see, and we all knew that was coming. As far as MM buying Nuance, you have to be kidding. MM was just bought by Chase, and they are in bad shape financially. They (MM) refused an offer from an unnamed company prior to the sale, and that offer was much higher than Chase's offer, FYI. There was speculation that Nuance was the company, however, no proof. Nuance is riding high with Nina and everything else the ...