A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many of you really proof at end of report? - Rose

Posted: Sep 16, 2014

The account I have has some extremely horrid dictators and about 75% are ESL. They were hounding me to get my line count up to goal.  We can only edit as fast as they talk and none use the pause button, making our stats take a nosedive. The only way I could meet goal was to quit proofing at the end of the report and force myself to focus and proof as I go.  How many oithers do this and what do you think of your accuracy proofing as you edit?  Are their some dictators that require so much editing that you can't do both at the same time?

I stopped proofing when Acusis cut my pay - in half. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

just pay attention. Editing/typing...are you looking right at it? - or at the keyboard? s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
I just pay attention to what I see and recheck the whole sentence right then and there if a problem spot.

haha.....don't think so....not for what I get paid-sm - InkMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If I am feeling generous I may skim the report for a nanosecond, but that is as good as it gets. I do try to proof as I type but again I don't waste a lot of time on this.

have done this like forever and never - Have proofed

[ In Reply To ..]
loads of ESLs, who doesn't but graded and keep my grade always high, no issue for me.

Proof as I go...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
generally read along and may stop and quickly reread something I think needs checking. At the end I do a quick "eyeball" of the report from top to bottom, quick check of visit date, etc., do my spell check and then send it off and on to the next report. We no longer have the luxury of re-reading the whole report anymore. You have to learn to proof on the fly or you won't make quota or make any money for that matter.

Proofing - old geeser

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree. I do this all the time. If I see a spelling error, I immediately fix it or punctuation. I always try to see that I have not included headings that don't belong in the report with nothing beside them as well.

Regularly-not a chance - occasionally

[ In Reply To ..]
if I have more blanks than allowed on the account I will go back and listen in those areas and that gets extra "proofing." Goal is to have less blanks, no send to QA.

Never - anymore...

[ In Reply To ..]
it's like asking someone at McDonald's to do a nice presentation on the tray. I just wrap the burgers and shove em out the window and take the next order. Minimum wage gets minimum effort.

I used to - But...

[ In Reply To ..]
I left MT, but what I did was edit as I went along with the audio, then when I was done with that, I sped up the audio and double-checked everything. However, my line count suffered and I got put on performance management.

I was much more productive and had higher quality work when I was straight transcribing.

I felt I was in a no-win situation, and the only thing I could do was quit. And so I did, 2 years ago!

ALWAYS - GB

[ In Reply To ..]
I proof EVERY report I do after it's completed. After all, it's MY work with MY name on it. I want nothing but my very best to be sent on...

Besides, an error on our part can cause future issues with a patient (definitely more serious than the example I'm giving below). I had a doctor's office once list that I had a left breast cyst removed instead of a left wrist cyst. It's not really a huge deal since I list my surgeries when I see a new doctor, but it's STILL listed in my chart that way at that doctor's office so any time my records are requested, they show that I have had a breast cyst removed. :(

Proof as I go... 15+ years now - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never proofed at the end of a report... never had an issue with QA scores.

Easy enough for me to proof as I go then give a brief glance in preview screen to check formatting issues etc.

proof as I go and my QA scores are consistently high - I rarely go back and read over

[ In Reply To ..]
About the only time I will go back and read something over again is if the dictator is one of those who starts and stops and changes his/her mind and just basically doesn't have a clear thought in their head and the draft is garbage. Those times I'll go back and make sure that the sentences actually make sense.

Normally, though, I proof as I go and I hit the end of the document, hit spell check, and upload.

I get QA'd every 2 weeks anywhere between 10 to 15 jobs and I have consistently really good scores.

Similar Messages:

Tell Me How Your Proof Your Report
Jun 08, 2013

I'm curious as to what your most effective way is to proofread reports.  When the report is short, only several minutes, I don't have a problem listening to the entire dictation again and read back through what I typed, but when you have one that's, let's say, an hour or more long, I'm really cutting my pay in half.  Do you go through the entire report while listening to the audio again, or do you proof two or three sentences at a time while still wor ...

PROOF SAINCE DOES NOT PAY!!!
Apr 05, 2010

I got this email this morning - yes, he's threatening to sue me over my paycheck - Remember, he owes me $415: I have your email (received Friday 4/2/2010 at 3.30 PM) wherein you have agreed to the settlement offered by us. We are prepared to send your check for $171.00, as you have agreed to below, by Express Mail today so that you may receive it tomorrow.  Finally, today I have received some emails from you that were sent to the Nevada Labor Commission among a host of other people.& ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

Proof Is In The Pudding
May 27, 2010

I was guilty of taking my audits for granted and putting my tail between my legs and truding on, thinking my situation was horrible and would never change.  Then I read about many MQ MTs challenging their audits, calling QA on the feedbacks, keeping logs, keeping copies to compare before and after QA and today I had my opportunity to call them on a HUGE discrepancy! I got a score of 89% on a report, had 2 "critical" errors, had ALL the dictated headings changed, and added at the end of the ...

Do You Proof Your Work?
Sep 22, 2011

I'm too slow and have heard other people say they don't proof their work.  I am so tempted but find too many mistakes to dare try it.  I'm curious how many do and don't, how much it helps with line count (when you don't), and if there is a good way to train yourself to do it right the first time so it's not necessary. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

From The Post Below About PROOF
Apr 07, 2013

Maybe the company is going down.  Post stated:  Oh, and I understand that 100+ others received the same notification on the same day. Reasoning...none given other than it was an at-will company. Other employees were called out of client meetings to inform them that they were no longer employed...and this included all levels of employees - from managers to MTs. ...

Survey: How Do You Proof Your Work
Nov 08, 2011

My manager (not an MT) is challenging me on the method I proof my work. How do you proof? a: listening to the audio at a higher speed while you review and correct the text on the screen? b: print out on paper, read, and then correct on the computer? c: read the screen with no audio and correct as you go? ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Proof About MModal's REAL Pay?
Apr 21, 2013

You all have helped giving me averages based on line output and cpl, but I know MModal is going to try to make it look like they're really giving us a good deal, and the hospital doesn't want to pay us unemployment.  Where can I go to cut and paste something into a document that PROVES the TRUE amount a normal transcriptionist would earn full time?  Anybody know? ...

Unemployment And Have To Show Proof Of The Job Search
Jul 05, 2013

When looking for a job and you're on unemployment and have to show proof of the job search, is it possible to use all these MT companies? I mean, we take all this time to submit applications and take tests and then don't get hired...it seems we could use them as job contacts. Has anyone done this and it was okay? ...

Proof Of Work For Small Claims Court?
Apr 08, 2010

So hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm thinking I may need to take someone to small claims court.  Would my invoices work? Logs? Or do I need the actual reports and if so how does HIPAA play into that? Any advice? many thanks busybee ...

Proof Positive - The Harder I Try, The More Careful I Am, The Worse I Do.
Mar 19, 2014

Failed another audit. Third failure in a row and worse than the last 2. Going slower, proofreading, trying harder does absolutely no good. Fooled by ASR a few times too. I am also sick of getting dinged occasionally because AAMT/ADHI decides to change the way something should be written. I have been transcribing for 30 years. I was so careful that, for the first time in a real long time, I have some makeup pay, i.e., I made less than minimum wage. Although I need to inform my QAM that ...

Do Companies Legally Have To Provide You With Proof Of Your Line Counts?
Oct 27, 2009

The company I'm working for has no way to verify my line count on line, nor do they provide a count on my paystub.  I have no way to verify the lines they are paying me for.  Is this legal? ...

How Is One To Make Line Count When You Get Report After Report Sm
Mar 05, 2014

that is less than 30 lines; dictator who repeats every sentence with 1 subtle change; DEAD AIR, etc.  It is stressful enough that I'm losing money today but to be stressed out about line count and being perfect...I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! ...

Could You Talking Of "impending" Sale Please Post Some Info/proof?
Sep 08, 2012

It's just reorganization because of Nuance buying Transcend, as far as I can see, and we all knew that was coming. As far as MM buying Nuance, you have to be kidding. MM was just bought by Chase, and they are in bad shape financially. They (MM) refused an offer from an unnamed company prior to the sale, and that offer was much higher than Chase's offer, FYI. There was speculation that Nuance was the company, however, no proof. Nuance is riding high with Nina and everything else the ...

VR Pay Per Report
Nov 26, 2009

I interview with a company and they pay per report for VR.  I haven't heard anyone talking that.  They pay 60 to 70 cents per report.  Is this good?  Feedback is appreciated.  Thanks guys!! ...

OR Report
Dec 10, 2009

Left injection with a (s/l arististan) and lidocaine. ...

I Am In SA5. Who Does My CCM Report To? Nm
Dec 15, 2009

EP Report
Jan 31, 2010

Review of her s/l EP report.  She did have a dual-chamber Medtronic Versa DR generator placed.  Anyone know what an EP report stands for?  ...

Report Look Up
Mar 11, 2010

My employee DEP number would never work.  Supervisor gave me a number (?) to use.  Now it says it has been "disabled" and to "contact system administrator."  Another winner MQ. ...

Why Not Report Them To The FTC?
Jul 14, 2010

Here's the link below.   Report their business practices: 1.  Failing to provide work for current employees while advertising for MORE employees. 2.  Failing to communicate. 3.  Making impossible standards for you to make your requirements and keep your hours without any work and forcing you to use your PTO. 4.  Management failing and outright refusing to respond to you. 5.  Squeezing your pay and benefit rates down in a consistent manner.   ht ...

Pay For Rad Report
Sep 09, 2010

Is $1.10 per rad report the going rate?  I have no idea at all whether this is decent pay.  Anyone know? ...

Op Report Help
Dec 11, 2010

The cephalic vein was identified and the ____ then developed distally to the deltoid attachment to the humerus.  (s/l "center")  Is that correct?? Also, Patient tolerated the procedure well and returned to _____ in satisfactory condition. (s/l "her room") Is that correct?? New at op reports so struggling a little. Thanks for the help. ...

The Use Of A Or An In A Report.
Dec 24, 2010

Can anyone state the rule for proper usage of a or an?  I know you use "a" when the noun you are referring to begins with a consonant and use "an" when the noun you are referring to begins with a vowel.  However, is there a rule that applies to usage of a or an when it pertains to the below?  This is an 84-year-old female, who has a history of dementia - OR This is a 84-year-old female, who has a history of dementia.  Thanks, bfp ...

MRI Report
Jan 25, 2011

(Patient with history of brain tumor.)  There are postsurgical changes with S/L some goliosis or subgoliosus  noted involving the caudal aspect of the anterior right temporal lobe extending from the right aspect of the suprasellar cistern. Thank you in advance... ...

This Report Needs An F11
Jun 11, 2011

This report badly needs to be wiped out and let me transcribe it from scratch.  Out of 3 lines ASR got 3 words correct - The, and, not - and it is over 600 seconds long.  Calgon, take me away, waaaay far awaaaaa!  C'mon lottery ticket.  Be nice to me tonight! ...

First Report Of The Day...
Aug 24, 2011

D:  bile duct stent placement of 7 French 7 cm. Is this typed correctly?  ...

ER Report
Oct 22, 2011

Overdose patient presents on a s/l PEER or PIER?? I think it is an abbreviation but cannot verify anywhere. Anyone have an idea? ...

Wow, Just QAd An ILP Report Where The ILP
Nov 29, 2011

Specifically: colour, odour, and fibre.  I guess we'll have to get used to reading that in our own hospital records when we have to start looking for errors that these ILPs are putting in. ...