A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tips and strategies to help stay focused and productive... - KyMT

Posted: Apr 05, 2011

Hi all,

I have to do a Powerpoint presentation this week in front of a group of MT students.  I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to share any tips or ideas that you may use that has helped you remain focused and productive while working in a home environment.  I've been an MT for over 20 years and worked from home for 14.  Other than the obvious strategies that I use like getting dressed, eating breakfast, turning the phnoe off, and dedicating workspace, I'd really be interested in any fresh ideas that I could share with the group.

Again, I would be so grateful to anyone willing to share any ideas that have worked for you!  Thanks again!

Oh and also, if you know of any good on-line pics I could incorporate into my Powerpoint presentation, I'd appreciate the links.  Thanks!

Anybody??? - KyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
??

my best production helper is by using a timer... - typeaway

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been typing at home for over 16 years and this is the best help to me. I set the timer for 60 minutes next to my desk. While it is on, I do not check emails, pick up the phone, get up for anything. All I do is type. When the buzzer goes off, I go to the bathroom, stretch, eat something or if it is going well, I set it immediately for another 60 minutes and keep going. It has made an improvement in my production. I just personally need something to "make" me sit there. Otherwise, I get bored as heck and don't want to type anymore. Good luck with your presentation!

Thank you! I'll definitely use that! nm - KyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Set goals....sm - tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
For example, today I am going to type 1500 lines. So, an 8 hour shift, means you must type about 188 lines an hour. Then, if you feel like your mind is wandering, you need a break.......make sure you get in your hourly line count before you take that break.

Don't spend too much time looking up terms, 3 minutes max. If you can't find it after 3 minutes, leave a blank and move on.

tips and strategies - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I use behavior modification techniques and reward myself. Every report earns me 5 points. I love long reports and it is especially hard to keep typing after short reports. Most of my reports are very, very short, but with those the points add up quickly. I love to play Scrabble and 5 points equals 5 minutes of play time. If I run out of play time, I cannot play until I earn more minutes.

I'd be a lot more focused & productive if I didn't - have to worry about money constantly!

[ In Reply To ..]
If I knew my hard work made enough of a difference to anybody to actually receive a fair wage for it, it would be one heck of a lot easier to stay focused on it.

Some days I get so fed up and depressed that I just blow off the MT-ing and go do something else. It's not like losing a day's pay is going to make any kind of a difference anymore.

I'm really sorry - Marzipan

[ In Reply To ..]
you feel that way. I was very lucky to get work with a great company after having been at MedQuist. (Gag me with a spoon.) There ARE good companies out there, there really are. You just have to try on a few before you click. I hope you can find one you like better.

Similar Messages:

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Please Tell Me How To Stay Focused!!! Sm
Dec 04, 2009

I have done this type of work for a long time.  The last couple of years I have a terrible time staying focused on my work and not emailing, texting, surfing the web, etc.  I need the money really badly!  What is wrong with me?  I am not destitute yet - I keep asking myself if that is what has to happen before I can get serious and do my job.  I should be able to do 2000 lines a day but instead I am doing 950 to 1000. I am literally sick over it and worry about i ...

Any Advice On How To Stay Focused?
Aug 25, 2014

I am ADD by nature and the older I get, the worse it seems to get. Any tricks of the trade you all have would be greatly appreciated. I used to use music in the background, but my hospitals have terrible audio lately and it seems to do more harm then good at this point. ...

F.I.E.S.A. Survival Strategies
Jun 29, 2014

Bear in mind that planted errors are being utilized to weed you out. (You are being told it is so that you become a better MT). So, if you decide to stick it out and learn the Nuance system of scoring reports, here are a list of the things I know they watch for when planting errors throughout the reports. I think we have to stick together, so here ya go!  (Wish I had had a QC share this with me):  Things to watch out for:  medication allergies to prescribed medications (we shoul ...

Strategies In Job Searching For A New MT Grad
Feb 20, 2011

Does anyone have any strateges for job searching as  new MT grad?  I am willing to do general transcription work. ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

How To Avoid Distraction/keep Focused??
Sep 21, 2012

I've had a really hard time lately with this...  Lots going on at home so my mind just wanders.  My paychecks are awful now as a result...   What do you do to keep yourself from getting distracted (bills, email, Facebook, staring at a wall LOL, etc)??  I really need something to get me motivated and back on track again. :(   TIA! ...

Failed Another 3 Focused Audits.
Dec 31, 2013

Yep, that's my 4th within a week. Yep, just as I noted a couple weeks ago, 2 "punctuation" errors and you fail. One spelling error that I have no idea how that could make it through spell check. And a full point for not cc'ing a dictating physician who said to send him a copy - because the CP did not say not to??????? I thought it was policy not to cc the dictator even if they requested such. I cannot even remember any client profile stating not to send a cc to the dictating physi ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

I Am Not 100% Focused On Patient Care Anymore.
Jan 31, 2015

How can I be?  I'm too focused on what I'll get dinged for. Every other day there are updates to account specifics.  How on earth can one remember every little thing for every single account (I do 5)? What will the auditor think of this or that?  Should I actually type verbatim even if it makes NO sense?  Should I change what voice wreck typed, i.e., "On physical examination, the patient..." The doctor actually said, "On physical, the patient..." So, this goes ou ...

A Productive Morning :)
Apr 05, 2013

After working a half hour out of 2 hours of my shift, I am now sitting on the couch with my puppy leaving messages for TAA office, filing for unemployment and now talking with unemployment office while they figure out how the TAA petition works. I agree with the others who have said please call TAA.  He did not even want to know the details.  They already know what this company is doing.   ...

PScribe--What Productive Tool Is Best To Use?
Jan 21, 2011

That platform does not have a built in productive tool (expansions), and I was just wondering what everyone else uses. Thanks. ...

Archivus - Is Their Platform Productive?
Jul 11, 2011

Got an interview and I am so worried about their platform or platforms. I am so tired of being disappointed and unproductive on crap platforms. I have read that they are a good place to work. Would love info on that as well. Thanks!! ...

Having A Wonderful, Productive Pay Period So Far.
Jul 18, 2011

About $150.00 less than it would have been.  )frown( ...

How Can I Be More Productive Using VR.... What Are The Magic Keys???
Aug 24, 2012

What are the most important things I need to know?  This will be my first time trying VR... I have tried over the years to get away from it and finally it has caught up with me.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years. ...

How Can I Be Very Productive Using EScription Platform
Aug 28, 2012

Only being paid 3.7 cpl.   I normally average 250 lines per hour straight typing.  I need to try and get that equivalent in pay.  TIA ...

Need Good Ideas On Being Productive With
Sep 14, 2012

Will be many different clinics.  I am accustomed to acute care only but this account will be about 70 percent clinic and 30 percent acute care.  TIA ...

Dictaphone Platform - Is This Productive?
Aug 13, 2014

How productive is Dictaphone platform for line count?   ...

Most Productive/popular Abbrev Expander?
Oct 21, 2009

The company I work for is changing over to ChartNet, with its ExpandText expander. I don't like that it has no way of adding/creating new shortcuts without using the mouse. The expander I use now is not compatible with ChartNet, and I'm wondering which expander is used by the majority of MTs....has no limit to the number of expansions/abbrevs it can hold, etc. Would welcome any suggestions. Thinking about Shorthand, but wondering what most MTs are using. ...

Any Current Info On Precyse? How About The Platform - Productive? SM
Oct 20, 2009

Also how about the benefits, especially insurance - do you feel they are a good deal for the price? Do you feel the way the PTO adds up is beneficial to the MT?  Does anyone know anything about the account that they are hiring for right now?  Thanks for anything you care to share.  ...

Instant Text - Word Glossary Productive For You?
Jan 07, 2010

Hi everybody, I have been utilizing Instant Text for about 6 months now, which has helped my production. However, I know there are many things I can do to update, improve my Instant Text glossaries.  I really do not use the Word glossary because I found that it was hard for me to look at both glossaries at the same time.  I mainly use the phrase glossary.  For Instant Text users, here are some of my questions: 1.  I mainly transcribe ED reports.  Do you think it is more productive to ...

Can You Ever Get Productive On MModal In The Straight Typing Mode?
Dec 14, 2011

Can you ever get productive on MModal in the straight typing mode?  Having to ctl+N and Ctl+shift+N for every header just doesn't seem productive.  Can anyone make the same lph in MModal as they do in a decent platform?  Thanks.  I really don't understand the "brains" (or lack of them) behind these programmers than design these programs. ...

High Quality, Cost Effective And Customer Focused - Words That Spell Exploitation. . .
Nov 06, 2011

Am I the only one that feels this way??? Tell me, please, how do they expect us to make a living when they are paying squat to keep their cost of service down?? T ...

Does Anyone Work For Amphion Doing Radiology? Do You Feel You Can Be Productive On Pay-per-report P
Sep 06, 2010

Does your PTO add up quickly this way also? Please let me know and thank you for your time! ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...