A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Response to email inquiry about VA accounts - sm

Posted: Aug 14, 2013

My understanding, according to conversations with several people at the Department of Labor in several states, is that anyone working on a VA contract must have employee status and must be paid the wage determination rate, or prevailing wage, for the state and county in which the client (or VA facility) is located.  It does not matter what the wage determination rate is for the state and county in which you reside.  Therefore, if you work on several different VA accounts, there may be several different hourly rates at which you will be paid.

As far as your required minimum lines-transcribed-per-hour, that is up to your employer.  As far as the DOL is concerned, your grossing earnings for a pay period must equal at least the hours you worked multiplied by the wage determination rate for that specific account's location.  It does not matter if you transcribed 50 lines per hour.  If your employer wants to pay you on a production basis, your gross pay may actually come out to be greater than that, depending on how fast you are.  This is fine as long as the total gross comes out to an hourly pay of at least the wage determination rate multiplied by the hours you worked.  By the way, according to the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act, I believe you are supposed to get paid holidays, vacation, and some type of other benefits, too.

If your employer is telling you that on VA accounts you still only have to be paid on a production basis and not by the hour because you are not fast enough, this is NOT TRUE.  As I said before, your required minimum rate of production is determined by your employer.  It can be 100 lines per hour or 200 lines per hour.  It makes no difference in that you still have to be paid at least the wage determination rate per hour for the hours you work.  If your employer is unhappy with your speed, they do have the right to terminate you.  Just remember--then you can and should file a complaint with the DOL and seek back pay for all the time you worked on those VA accounts and did not make at least the WDR.  As an altruistic bonus, anyone else who worked for your employer on those specific VA accounts and was not paid the WDR will also benefit by receiving back pay as a result of your complaint and the ensuing investigation.  You can actually file a complaint anonymously if you are still employed, but your boss may surmise it was you and fire you in retaliation.  That is not legal, but it is very difficult to prove that is why you were fired, so think carefully if you decide to file while still employed by them.  By the way, I'm curious as to what your employer does require in terms of productivity rate.  Can you please share that?

If you still have any doubts or questions about how you are supposed to be paid when working on VA accounts, please call the Department of Labor (try starting with the US Department of Labor in Washington, DC, since these are federal contracts) and talk to someone who is familiar with the provisions in the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act.

Also want to add - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Some employers may subtly suggest or outright tell you to fudge your number of hours so that they end up actually paying you only on your per-line rate. In other words, if your lines transcribed per hour multiplied by your line rate pay does not at least equal what your hourly pay should be, your employer has to pay you the difference. In order to avoid that, some MTSOs want their MTs to report a decreased number of hours worked so they don't have to pay out that difference. This is sleazy and wrong. If that has happened to anyone and they are filing a complaint with the DOL, that information also can be put into your complaint.

Similar Messages:

Requiring Email Response In 5 Min
Jun 01, 2010

Got to thinking about this, wouldn't this be something agreed upon (contract?) before starting with the company?  Otherwise, threatening to fire you for not responding to an email sounds like a ripe labor law violation.  Wrongful termination?  Bait and switch?  Plain unethical.     ...

Response To Email Saying After 10 Days Of No Work There Is Some Work
Dec 19, 2011

"The dictators are picking back up – would you like some work??  I haven’t heard from you and I am unable to just assign without a work request.   Just let me know - thanks"  My response: Definitely not!!    You have SO screwed me financially by not giving me work for so long and then only 1 or 2 reports for a day for weeks.    You are one of THE WORST managers I have ever encountered.    You have lied to me over and over and ...

Job Inquiry
Sep 21, 2010

Has anyone heard of a company named Transamerica or Transam? Is this company reputable? ...

MM Resignation Inquiry?
Feb 08, 2012

I wonder if MQ/MM does a follow-up inquiry after a person quits, to find out why.  Does anyone know? ...

Credit Inquiry
Jul 29, 2012

Anyone else had a credit inquiry alert from Nuance?  This happened lately too.  This is sort of disturbing, and I don't remember applying for any other jobs there too.  I've been working there for a while too.  Don't they have to have my permission to do this? ...

Serious Inquiry Question
Nov 15, 2012

I recently started working for MMODAL... but I also have a part-time job elsewhere, and I will not say where, that is not relevant, but on my other part-time job they have different platforms and recently within the past year I think they started 'moving' some accounts to a platform called M-Modal, a couple of my account were moved there and eventually I am supposed to get moved there totally but I am not in any hurry as I like the platform I am currently on.  But my question for ...

Raise Inquiry
Jan 10, 2013

So I'm farily new-ish to MM and MT in general. MM hired me as a complete newbie about 9 months ago, and I accepted the rates they gave me (0.04 VR and 0.05 TR) because I was desparate for a job. Based soley on my memory, the person who offered me the job stated that there would be a consideration for a raise after 90 days. Okay, fine, whatever, I just want a job. Well, 9 months later I am still making the same rate. I haven't brought up the issue because I like to fly under the radar. ...

Inquiry On Training Programs - Which One?!
Jan 16, 2010

Helllo - I am considering a career transition to MT, and presently researching AHDI-approved MT programs. I've heard lots of great things about Andrews School; does anyone know anything about, or have taken, the program through TRSi? This is the other one that I was considering. Thanks for your help! D. ...

New Editing Platform Rules Inquiry
Oct 08, 2013

Hello, We are preparing to switch to editing and are working on a fair guidelines for the MTs.  What are the industry standards of expections for things such as correcting if a dictator says something like "laboratory studies" and the draft comes through as "laboratory data" - do you correct it or leave it?  What about things like numbers that begin a sentence?  Correct or let it go?  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.  ...

Pay Not Right For The Second Week, Payroll Never Answered My Inquiry
Jun 17, 2015

This is the second week my pay has been incorrect.  They did not pay me the shift differential.  I have already emailed my TSM and payroll, no answer from payroll (email was sent days ago about pwe 6/5).  This is added to the fact that on the Powerscribe platform there is NO WAY for us to track our lines anyway, so we all have to guess whether or not we're being shorted (although they clearly did not add the shift diff as no column exists on either of my time sheets).  T ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

Is Anyone Having Email Issues. Just Tried To Reply To An Email And It Didnt Work.
Dec 02, 2014

x ...

Vent - MQCentral Email Is The Lousiest Email
Dec 07, 2010

system devised!  It never seems to work and is so unbelievably slow I can't stand it!!  Glad I got that off my chest. ...

Good Ole MM. They Want Us Perfect But Their Email Saying Email Purge
Oct 19, 2012

x ...

Do They Send Rejection Email To Your Testing Email?
Mar 20, 2014

s ...

Can't Seem To Get A Response
Apr 01, 2010

I'm just curious if others are in the same boat as I am.  I have almost 10 years experience as an MT, both acute care and clinic, and I have been sending my resume to many of the job postings on this board.  I think I have received two replies out of probably 20 resumes sent.  Is this pretty much the way it is for others, or do I need to tweak my resume?  Thanks! ...

This Is A Response I Sent To An For A RAD IC
May 18, 2010

"You might want to consider re-wording your job posting and re-think your position as you can find yourself in serious trouble with the IRS regarding requiring an independent contractor to work a set schedule.  You are wanting an employee, not an independent contractor, if that contractor has to work a set schedule and 'has to work over.'  The IRS will come down pretty hard on you...especially if someone sends them a copy of your job posting.  So you understand ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get A Response From DIT?
Nov 09, 2010

Has anyone been able to get a response from DIT?  Please let me know because I certainly have not.  This place is the worst.  What is really terrible is that continue to keep hiring new MTs and promise them that everything is now okay.  They are just a bunch of people not telling the truth. ...

Response To Ads
Sep 21, 2011

Can anyone tell me if they ever get a response when applying for positions?  I never seem to hear back from any of them.   ...

Response To
Mar 19, 2015

Just thought you all would like to read this response to a resume I recently sent out.... and what would your feelings be concerning what you read? Hello, Thank you for your interest in providing Transcription services for our company. I have received your resume. I have put some information in the body of the email as well as attached our templates and sample reports so you can see what the reports look like. I would like to mention to you a few things so you can make an info ...

Anyone Else Have Problems Getting A Response
Feb 05, 2010

I sent to emails and two voice mails, one marked urgent-no response.  Anyone have this issue? ...

Prompt Response
Jun 27, 2010

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what a "prompt" response should be for a resume that was sent out? I do not like waiting weeks or months to get a response. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Response From Oracle??
Oct 06, 2010

They have a job posting that I applied for.  Haven't heard anything back from them.  Has anyone else?  ...

Autotrophic Response?
Jan 06, 2011

"An exercise stress test was performed and she was able to exercise for approximately 8 minutes, utilizing a brief protocol, to a maximum heart rate of 156 per minute.  It was an appropriate (s/l anatropic or maybe autotrophic) response."  I am unsure what word he is dictating here. ...

Response To Resumes
Feb 04, 2011

Yeah for sure.  what goes does it do to send resumes to these jobs posted here, when you get NO response...  I realize they have more resumes than they can probably go through, but when they look at the top of your resume (where it should be) and see you have had over 25 years experience - you think they'd contact you first, yeah whatever.  Not sure, but know MT jobs are scarce!! ...

Allergic Response
Apr 02, 2011

Ibuprofen gives the patient s/l tranaphylaxis. Thanks in advance. ...

How Long Does It Take For A Response From Someone Here
Nov 17, 2011

about wage disputes?  I emailed two days ago about a payment I was supposed to receive the 15th (and still have not), and have not heard about any kind of resolution or anything and of course no pay still and no check in the mail. ...