A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about charging for canned text - medtyper

Posted: May 02, 2010

Hi, I am new here, just stumbled across this site and is seems very imformative. 

I just found out this week that my job is being eliminated due to the hospital I am working for going to an outside service.  I am actually in better shape than the other 5 MTs because I have my years in for full retirement, 32 years to be exact.   I have already picked up a small job working for a local cardiologist.  My question is, I quoted her a per line rate and she is balking on paying that because she uses a lot of canned text.  What is the norm in charging for canned text.   Thanks for the help. 

I've always been paid for canned text - me

[ In Reply To ..]
You could quote her a lower rate, or charge per keystroke (so you wouldn't get paid the canned text). In this market unfortunately I think the docs really have the upper hand in how much they are willing to pay.

I have always charged, and been paid, for "canned text" - ByTheLine

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never been presented with the issue of not being paid for all text. Yours is the first time I have heard of that situation. Seems it would a real pain to separate out one from the other for billing.

I require payment for all text .. canned, templates, headers/footers, all of it .. and would not go for per-keystroke.

Not quite sure what I would do - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always been paid full rate for any macros the doctors have supplied. I make up my own as well that they have no knowledge of as well and edit where needed when they dictate too, saves loads of time, etc. You could either just charge a lower rate altogether for everything, or separate out the canned stuff. Maybe keep a list of how many lines each is and keep a tab of what is in each report and then charge that at .03 a line for the canned stuff. That would be complicated and a pain to do though. Do you know what she is paying now? If so maybe undercut that by a penny and go from there. Or do a flat .07 or .08 cpl it if is mostly canned stuff. I think that would be reasonable if it is 70% canned.

what does "canned mean" - MTdummy

[ In Reply To ..]
Stupid question but what is canned text? And what is MTSO? I feel like a dummy

"Canned text" means... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
text that you don't have to type every time, i.e. text that you can copy and paste in, or pull in via expander, such as a "normal" or "standard" physical examination.

For instance... I do IC work for a local orthopedist, and when he's doing a preop history and physical, he'll say "put the normal exam." I fire up my expander shortcut and it coughs up this:

General: No apparent distress. HEENT: Normocephalic, atraumatic. Lungs: Clear to auscultation bilaterally. Heart: Regular rate and rhythm. No murmurs. Abdomen: Soft, nontender. No masses. Extremities:

And then he goes on to dictate the extremity exam for whatever body part is in question. Of course if some other part of the exam is not according to the "normal" he'll dictate the changes.

That's an example of canned text.

MTSO means Medical Transcription Service organization (I think). It's a company that contracts with a hospital or other entity to provide transcription services. The MTSO then either hires MTs as employees to do the work, or farms out the work to independent contractors. Big companies like Medquist and Transcend are large "national" MTSOs with many accounts and hundreds, if not thousands, of employees. There are also countless smaller MTSOs that might have only a few accounts, and a few people.

And remember... the only stupid question is the question that is not asked. :)

Canned text - medtyper

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to enjoy this site . Well I quoted her .10 a line, this is first job as an independent contractor and I have asked my boss's opnion on the price and she agrees that it is very fair. Besides .07 is a cut in pay from what I am making now and I kind of figure if I am worth that to the hospital where I work, I am at least worth that much or more to somebody else. The problem is she basically dictates everything even with canned text except the physical exam. I end up typing it because it is easier to do that than sort through her canned text. She isn't paying for transcription now because the office has VR and she hates it so she is contracting out her dictation. We will see what happens when she get her first bill and we will go from there.

canned text - MTdummy

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks a lot crankybeach (love that nickname by the way). You'd think I would know all these terms by now. I'm only going on 15 years in the business now! Anyway, thanks for the info!

If she is still dictating canned text, - It is not really canned (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
You still have to listen through it to see if she makes any changes. That is a big difference from her saying "standard this or that".

I would hold firm on charging for everything. If you give in on this, you set the precedent for them calling your shots, and as IC you should be the one setting standards and practices for the service you provide.

Similar Messages:

Question About Canned Text
Oct 18, 2011

I am looking at possibly accepting a position that has most typing full reports, but also has "canned texts" that pay 3.5 cpl.   Is this a normal pay offered?  If I have a lot of canned text reports can I make a decent wage?  Is there anything to know about canned texts that would make me reconsider?  Thanks for the advice.  ...

Canned Text Meditech
Apr 30, 2012

How do you make a canned text in Meditech or is there even a way to make a canned text in it?   TIA ...

New To Transcend. Do They Pay For The Lines In Canned Text? Nomo
Mar 13, 2010

I Had To Remove So Much "canned Text" Output!
Jan 09, 2014

Oh goody, all patients now have lungs that are clear to auscultation no matter what was dictated, et cetera, et cetera. I want to smack every one in this company who thinks that it is okay to program the SR recognition software to automatically output such! ...

Did They Tell You If Your QC Was Canned?
Oct 09, 2012

My CCM bit the bullet, not that I care, but I havent heard from my QC all day and I asked her a question several hours ago..I hope the CCM didnt take her with her,,,she is the best... ...

Charging For EMR Dictation
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone know the standards for charging for dictation into an EMR (SOAPware).  There's really no way to check line count.  Do you charge by how many minutes are dictated?  I'm in a quandry and think I'm being taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance.  ...

MT Rates - Am I Charging Enough?
May 14, 2011

I've been charging 13 cents a line for a 55 character line since 1989.  Have rates gone up?  I've been hiding out in my cave for a number of years now just doing my own thing and have not kept track of market trends.  Please let me know!  Thanks. ...

Charging For Faxing
Apr 09, 2013

I recently acquired a very small account and the doctor requires me to pick up tapes twice a week, print, deliver the transcripts to his ofice and fax each of the transcribed letters to multiple offices using my home fax machine.  Average letters to be faxed each week is about 30.  I asked for a faxing fee and he said 'No" because the previous MT was not charging for faxing.  What should I do?  I did the math and it seemed I will just be breakeven and not make money cons ...

Charging For STAT Dictation
Aug 15, 2010

I have an ortho doctor that I transcribe for, his office calls or emails me for STAT transcription constantly.  I work for 2 family practice docs, 2 PAs and another ortho as well so I'm pretty busy.  I often stop what I am working on to do this doctor's all-important work.  My question is what is the standard for charging for STAT dictation?  I wouldn't mind except, as I said, this happens every day.  He cost me over $40 on Thursday because I was ...

How Much Are MTSO's Charging Their Clients
Oct 30, 2012

Just how much profit are they making.  I have no clue, 17 years ago it was 14-cents a line for a 50 character line.  Or maybe somebody can give me a site where I can look it up myself.  Thanks ...

Charging On Personal Accts
May 29, 2013

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  I admit I have been spoiled by being an IC for years.  I have a chance to pick up a couple of side accounts, but after talking to them they just think they can dictate into something at my home and I will magically be able to hear their dictation. I am totally not well versed with all these computer programs.  Can someone explain to me whether it would be worth getting some kind of program to be able to do this?  It seems costly to be able to ...

Charging Per Audio Hour
Mar 31, 2015

I thought I had already posted this but I guess it didn't go through since I can't find the post but here's my question. I've been working for as an MT for a long time in an imaging facility being paid per hour.  It's been a long time since I was an IC.  A friend has asked me to type a 6 hour discussion from a focus group meeting.  Nothing too technical and no strong accents.  I'm used to just charging .10 per line but he wants a quote per hour. ...

Instant Text - How Do You Bold Text?
Dec 07, 2011

I'm new to IT and have a question:  How do you bold text?  I went into "Edit" and see several options but not for bolding. Yes, it's probably in the manual but I'm on the clock right now so hope someone will post it here. Thanks! ...

How Do You Get Text Out From Under A
Apr 21, 2012

I can't find the directions.  xx ...

OB/GYN In Text?
Jul 17, 2014

I am typing a report where dictator is talking about the patient's ob/gyn.  How do you type this?  Ob-gyn, OB/GYN or what. It is within a line of the report, not a heading.  ...

Help With Instant Text
Oct 14, 2009

Anyone have any good websites for Instant text tutorial or questions?  I did read through productivity talk and did find what I needed.  I have not used this software in years.  I use autotext, but I would like to use the line counting software that comes wtih IT.  I am trying to figure out a short cut to copying text, right clicking on IT , clipboard statistics, and logging each note. Any thoughts on how to do this with keystrokes and NOT the mouse? I am using Scribe Editor ...

Text Size
Jan 02, 2010

I forgot the easy way to adjust text size.  Hope someone can help. Is it still possible to search for something here?  I can't find the "search" line.   ...

Text Expander..HELP!
Jan 18, 2010

I was forced to switch to Windows 7 and I found that Stedmans Smartype was no longer compatible. After shedding some tears, I am searching for a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions about any medical text expanders that are good and work similar to Smartype (that work within WORD). I am currently looking at Speedtype...does anyone have any reviews on that? Thank you!! ...

Text Expander?
Apr 08, 2010

text expander? ...

Qualified Text?
May 06, 2010

Does anybody work for a company that pays less for something called "qualified text" or in other words pays less for templates, like 10 cpl for transcription but only 5 cpl for the template lines?  Were you with them when they paid full rate for those lines?  I am trying to find out how much impact (perhaps percentage) this has on the bottom line - a paycheck.  The company I work for is going to start doing this and I am wondering how much it is going to hurt.  Obviously it w ...

Disappearing Text
Jun 03, 2010

I don't know what combination of keys I hit but all of a sudden the text in front of where I am editing disappears.  What combination of keys will stop this.  I thought it was control + insert but that did not help. Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Instant Text And VR
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondered about what you all think is the best expander to use with VR. I used to use Shorthand up to a couple of years ago and now work with Instant Text. It seems to me that Shorthand is very very popular with the VR crowd. Does anyone use Instant Text successfully with VR? The version of IT I have (V  Pro) does not have the recording functions and the ability to use shortcuts (like Alt+ and Control+) like Shorthand does. Nor is there there an ability to record commands or key combina ...

Instant Text V
Feb 08, 2011

I was wondering if anybody working on the DQS system is able to use Instant Text V  and if so, how did you convert it over ?  Thank you for any help. Donna ...

Does Anybody Use Instant Text?
Apr 06, 2011

Does anybody use Instant Text?  I just started using it and CANNOT figure out how to get "-year-old" to expand without a space in front of the first hyphen.  I am ready to scream!  Please help!  ...

Instant Text V Pro Help
May 08, 2011

I am having issues with linking Instant Text V Pro with eScription.  The greenlight is on saying that it is linked, but I am not able to get any of my keystrokes to work.  If anyone is familiar on how to do this please let me know.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!! ...

Text Expander And SR
Aug 03, 2011

In school, we were given the opportunity to have a 4-month trial of Shorthand for Windows. I really enjoyed using this program and had considered purchasing an extended license for it when I become employed; however, I thought of the MT industry heading more towards SR/VR editing and wondered if having a text expander would be useful at all. Any inputs? I'm currently using Word's AutoCorrect as a substitute. ...

Best Text Expander?
Apr 09, 2012

Could anyone give me any recommendations for a good general text expander (starting an ASR job in a couple of weeks)?  I use Phrase Express right now, but I don't like some of its limitations and bugs, and customer service stinks.  I'm really interested in hearing from someone who has tried a couple and has a preference and why.   TIA! ...

Help! Anyone Using Instant Text, Etc...
May 16, 2012

This was transferred to the tech forum last night but isn't a tech question: How are MTs naming their short forms now, for example for shortform "ncat" (normocephalic atraumatic) do you use "ncat" or do you use "ncatx"? Thanks. ...

DocuScribe Text
Jun 16, 2012

Anyone know how to make the text larger in DocuScribe?  Thanks! ...

Copying Text
Aug 16, 2012

I switched computers about a week ago.  Since then, I have been unable to copy text within the same document on Escription.  Can someone please help me with this? ...