A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT rates - Am I charging enough? - WsWhiting

Posted: May 14, 2011

I've been charging 13 cents a line for a 55 character line since 1989.  Have rates gone up?  I've been hiding out in my cave for a number of years now just doing my own thing and have not kept track of market trends.  Please let me know!  Thanks.

That's high! - Opinionated

[ In Reply To ..]
Well I suppose it depends on which part of the country you're in, but everyone I know charges about .10 for a 65-character line.

That's not high. What we're making is too LOW! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

RELATIVELY high. Compared w/ market. nm - Opinionated

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not high for an IC - mt3

[ In Reply To ..]
To the OP: Don't rock your boat, you might find it sinks! If you're still getting 13 cpl then you're doing okay.

To WsWhiting- If you have friends who are MTSOs and are only charging 10 cpl, then that's a good look at why MT wages are what they are.

MT rates are going down, read some posts on this site - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I am getting .12 cpl for a 50-char line BUT - sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
it is for a very dinky account, very sporadic, only $5 last month. Dr. retired and asked me to continue to do the odd letter or two for her. I did raise up though from .10 to .12 to do this as she wanted me to provide a call-in system for her, which I did not have but do now, as well as print the letters and mail them for her. I got the call-in for free but offset my time for printing and mailing with the increase which she was fine with. I quote .10/65-char line when asked, which so far where I live is considered too high believe it or not, but I will not go lower for my own accounts.

Not high at all depending on where you live - No name

[ In Reply To ..]
I charge 15 cpl on two of my own accounts (clinic and IME) and 16 cpl for STATs in the Northwest. I had to drop my rates a few years ago from 17 cpl because of losing one account to a lower bidder, but before that I did under bid another person who was charging 18 cpl. Times are changing and have to lower rates because of MTSOs getting these small accounts cheaper than I can do them for. Thank goodness I am close to retiring from MT.

I make 9-1/2 cpl - SaySally

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been at this rate for 4 years. My last request for a small increase was turned down flat due to the economy. I am an IC for a medium-sized service. I have 25 years experience as an MT. I am asking for an increase again this spring but I will not be surprised if I do not get anything.

Similar Messages:

Charging For EMR Dictation
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone know the standards for charging for dictation into an EMR (SOAPware).  There's really no way to check line count.  Do you charge by how many minutes are dictated?  I'm in a quandry and think I'm being taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Charging For Faxing
Apr 09, 2013

I recently acquired a very small account and the doctor requires me to pick up tapes twice a week, print, deliver the transcripts to his ofice and fax each of the transcribed letters to multiple offices using my home fax machine.  Average letters to be faxed each week is about 30.  I asked for a faxing fee and he said 'No" because the previous MT was not charging for faxing.  What should I do?  I did the math and it seemed I will just be breakeven and not make money cons ...

Charging For STAT Dictation
Aug 15, 2010

I have an ortho doctor that I transcribe for, his office calls or emails me for STAT transcription constantly.  I work for 2 family practice docs, 2 PAs and another ortho as well so I'm pretty busy.  I often stop what I am working on to do this doctor's all-important work.  My question is what is the standard for charging for STAT dictation?  I wouldn't mind except, as I said, this happens every day.  He cost me over $40 on Thursday because I was ...

How Much Are MTSO's Charging Their Clients
Oct 30, 2012

Just how much profit are they making.  I have no clue, 17 years ago it was 14-cents a line for a 50 character line.  Or maybe somebody can give me a site where I can look it up myself.  Thanks ...

Charging On Personal Accts
May 29, 2013

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  I admit I have been spoiled by being an IC for years.  I have a chance to pick up a couple of side accounts, but after talking to them they just think they can dictate into something at my home and I will magically be able to hear their dictation. I am totally not well versed with all these computer programs.  Can someone explain to me whether it would be worth getting some kind of program to be able to do this?  It seems costly to be able to ...

Charging Per Audio Hour
Mar 31, 2015

I thought I had already posted this but I guess it didn't go through since I can't find the post but here's my question. I've been working for as an MT for a long time in an imaging facility being paid per hour.  It's been a long time since I was an IC.  A friend has asked me to type a 6 hour discussion from a focus group meeting.  Nothing too technical and no strong accents.  I'm used to just charging .10 per line but he wants a quote per hour. ...

Question About Charging For Canned Text
May 02, 2010

Hi, I am new here, just stumbled across this site and is seems very imformative.  I just found out this week that my job is being eliminated due to the hospital I am working for going to an outside service.  I am actually in better shape than the other 5 MTs because I have my years in for full retirement, 32 years to be exact.   I have already picked up a small job working for a local cardiologist.  My question is, I quoted her a per line rate and she is balking on payi ...

Pay Rates...
Oct 20, 2010

Does Medquist still have 2 pay rates--one for straight transcription and one for speech recognition? ...

VR Rates
May 18, 2011

From VR to a new technology called VRWTCY  which stands for very real way to to cheat you ...

Anyone Get New PTO Rates Due Out On 07/24? Nm
Aug 01, 2011

nm ...

MQ Pay Rates?
Oct 06, 2011

What pittance rates DOES MQ pay these days for VR and for straight typing?  (Again, as I mentioned elsewhere on the board, I ask because my department is beginning union pay negotiations as we move to using DocQSpeech for most of our work, so I expect management will be trying to use MQ's pay rates as their point of reference.) Thanks! ...

Going Rates?
Dec 14, 2011

I have been working as an MT for a little over 2 years now and was wondering what the going rates for transcription and editing reports are?  I am currenly an IC doing only transcription at a rate of $0.065 per line.  The line is definced as 65-black character line and it does not include spaces.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

VR RATES!!!
Mar 27, 2014

Who can make a living on VR rates??? I've come to the conclusion, like so many others, it's time to move on. Been an MT for 9 years. Went from making $24 an hour gross to making less than minimum wage with VR! So sad. ...

IC Rates
Jan 13, 2015

Hello all...after 17 years, I'm sick of playing by others rules and want to venture into the world of IC. Could those of you doing IC work give me an idea of what to be asking per line? Any insight into any aspect of IC would also be helpful. Thanks! ...

Rates
Mar 19, 2015

My transcription business has decreased due to EMR. Now I've been offered a job to proof the EMR. What should I expect in compensation?  By patient? By hour? Plan to continue to work from home. Thanks! ...

Going Rates
May 27, 2015

To any IC setting their own rates, what are the going rates for transcription these days?  I had my own small business 20+ years ago and charged $1.25 per full page. Any info would be appreciated! ...

MTSO Rates
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think the MTSOs cut their rates to their clients who are now using VR just as they have cut their MTs rates?  Seems that some MTSOs are scrambling for some reason to cut everyone's pay down (even their MT pay, not just ME pay).  I wonder if they are in over their heads with this new venture into VR and losing their arses and realizing it isn't quite the godsend everyone is making it out to be.  One can hope, and would serve them right! As far as MTSO rates are co ...

Check Out These Rates (4th One Down)
Jan 10, 2010

They're based in California: http:///www.chromolumeinc.comp/transcription/rates.html ...

Looking For Some Feedback On QA Rates
Apr 20, 2010

I am an IC in northeast Ohio. Anyone know what the going rate is for QA editors in this part of the country?  Does the price vary from state to state that much?  I am in the midst of negotiating my MT contract with a client and want to document the cost of a QA Editor (which I provide myself for free, now).  Thanks for your help! ...

What Are 2010 Rates Of Pay?
Aug 25, 2010

I know rates of pay have plummeted in the past year or two.  Most of the posts I can find for average rates of pay are from 2 yrs ago or older.  Ballpark estimates for experienced transcriptionists please, both straight transcribing and VR: Hospital Acute care? Clinic notes? Radiology?  (per line and per report rates) Gracias     ...

Hourly QA Rates?
Dec 30, 2010

I am wondering if anyone would share the going hourly rate (being paid by the hour, not by the line) for QA?  How many lines an hour are required to get the rate? TIA ...

Sten-Tel Rates
Feb 25, 2011

i am thinking of applying to Sten-Tel.  Does anyone know what their current pay rate is for Tanscription/VR for experienced MTs?   Thanks, Mely ...

Transcription Rates
Jul 28, 2011

I have worked from home for several years for a local hospital..they pay $1.00 per minute for regular dictation (op notes, H&P, etc) and .10 per line for clinic notes.  I am wanting to ask for rate increase...how much should I ask for?  $ 1.25, 1.50, etc. ...

Per-Page Rates
Oct 05, 2011

I'm interviewing for a new job next week, and have to travel 2 hours to the office for the interview and test.   I hate to get there and then be offered chump change... she told me they pay per page.   All pages are relatively brief, 25 lines max.   Can anyone tell me what to expect them to say?  i.e.  what is the going rate when being paid by the page?   thank you very much !! ...

Line/pay Rates
Mar 10, 2012

I've been working for Medquist/M-Modal now for 11 years Full-time.  I was one of those grandfathered in that took a pay cut last year as Medquist deemed they would not pay above .10 cents a line.  Now the kicker to all this is I have a friend who I just got hired, and her initial OFFER was to START at .10 cents a line.  I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am appalled at this ... how someone can start at the top wage.   I have already sent an email ex ...

Per Minute Rates
May 07, 2012

I need some help I think my mind is fried...Does anyone know how to compare pay per minute of dictation to a per line rate? Example - 0.0972 per line versus 1.056 per dictated minute Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you very muc and please excuse my ignorance, but I am getting frustrated trying to compare the two. ...

Line Rates As An IC?
Aug 08, 2012

Thinkng of going the IC route, any ideas on line rates as an IC? ...

EScription Rates??
Dec 27, 2012

what are current line rates for eScription platform? should we expect lower line rates in eScription software? ...

Benefit Rates
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone received a letter about calculating your new benefit rate? I have had the same rate since probably last spring. I don't think they are calculating them every six months even though they say they do. I went on vacay in June and I am making the same benefit rate now that I was then. That was 8 months ago.  I know for a fact that my benefit rate is now higher than it was then,maybe that is why. It is cheaper for them to keep it lower. ...

Insane Pay Rates?
Feb 04, 2013

I recently had an interview for a company I applied for last year (they opened new accounts). The interview seemed fine and I was offered the position, however I turned it down. The are paying 2.5 cpl SR  with 1800 lines expected per day (actually was told some of the "lazier" MTs only typed 1400, thought this was rude of her to say) and ST 5 cpl but no minimum was mentioned as majotiry is SR. I have over 13 years in the MT field.  I know wages have dropped recently but is 5 cpl t ...