A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need help before answering an email. sm - at wits end

Posted: Nov 10, 2009

Sorry so long - but I have to vent and try to get some help with this issue.

I have been working for a company for nearly a year now - started as an MT, moved up to editor, and recently started with a new account we brought on as a QA Lead.

The account is voice recognition to begin with and with all fresh doctors, it really is horrific at this point - so we are definitely struggling until the voice engine does better.  The company has started to hire MTs to act as first round editors - most of these MTs have little or no experience in the field.  It slipped out at a team meeting with the management that they were hired because "they were a less expensive alternative until the voice engine really kicks in with the speech rec". 

The client is not the best.  They have openly admitted that they have been through 6 - yes 6 - transcription companies in the past 12 months and just "can't seem to find one that works well for them."  I now know why!  They are very difficult to deal with.

Daily we beg for patient lists, as the live demographic feed is not available for this account, yet we are responsible for verifying the patient information from the daily patient list.

If the list arrives (after asking upwards of 4-5 times daily) it does so after 60% of the work has been transcribed).  When we have jobs ready to go to the client they are still waiting on demographic verification - but the client is screaming, where is the work??

My supervisor - who is a really nice person - could not make a decision if her life depended on it.  I try to give her everything I have and really take the time to dedicate myself to the work, but she is very unsure of her own management skills and it really shows. 

I do get very frustrated when we are sitting there waiting on information from the client to complete jobs and she asks me - why are these about to go out of turnaround?  Are you not watching things closely? What can you do to help move this along? What can I do to help you move this along?

She calls my house constantly when she is not on IM with me.  I can't get my work done for answering her constant questions - which are often repetitive and absolutely immaterial to what we are doing.

This morning, there were major issues with the platform (gotta love Dictaphone) and my system kept locking up.  So I sent her an IM letting her know I was going to reboot - to which she replied - ok no problem, let me know when you are back up.  I rebooted my computer and before it had the chance to even load my desktop, she is on the phone with me asking me when I will be back online and going again.  I mean literally, this was less than 60 seconds after I told her and she acknowledged the fact I was rebooting my computer.

Frustrated, and in poor form on my part, I snapped at her saying when the system loads I will personally IM you and let you know.  She hung up the phone.

Then I get an email wherein she asks me to "adjust my attitude" and "email me and let me know what you can do on your end to help with your attitude today so that it does not cross over into the workplace."

How would I even begin to respond to this?  They will not give me what I need to do my job yet hold me responsible for things not flowing smoothly. 

Am I missing something?  Am I the one with the problem?  Suggestions?

I don't think it needs a reply. You've been reprimanded. The e-mail is just being sarcas - lhfg

[ In Reply To ..]
s

I'm a little more bold than the OP who has responded ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would tell her my attitude will adjust when she does not immediately call me for the same issue she just acknowledged via e-mail or IM.

apologize - bugged

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you need to reply with an apology. take the opportunity to air some of your concerns and reiterated to her that you were very frustrated with the system problems and everything else that is going on and state that you are sorry you allowed the stress to come over in the form of what she perceived as attitude. Remind her that you normally do not conduct yourself in that manner and that you would like for her to be mindful in the future of the stressors your company is dealing with daily as a whole...... i am sure she will understand........

I agree with both posts from bugged - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know all the particulars of your circumstances, but if you need the job or will need this woman as a reference at some point in the future for a job, best to go with bugged's methods here.

I would just NOT ANSWER THE PHONE. - The supe sounds like rubber room material.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

e-mail help - metoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree it does not require a reply. However, you could reply that you are sure she is under a lot of stress and sympathize, but that you do your best work when you are not interrupted so much. Try to make it nice if you have to work there. Otherwise, let her have it!

PROFESSIONALISM - bugged

[ In Reply To ..]
I would come off to her as having the utmost professionalism that any one person could possibly have. Rise above her pettiness and "attitude adjustment" comments and be the bigger person. If you get into a cat fight with this person, who is going to win? I would be the best example of a PROFESSIONAL MT that I could be by showing her how a REAL supervisor conducts herself......... rise above. You will win every time....

When my supervisor cops a 'tude on me, I just - completely ignore her communications

[ In Reply To ..]
for a few days, all the while buckling down and really cranking out the work. Just to give her a little idea of what can be accomplished when she leaves me the H___ alone.

oh man - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
I would tell her that my attitude is now adjusted & because of this I am no longer able to suffer under her abuse, & that I wish her luck finding someone with an unadjusted attitude to continue working for her.

Work - Viking Fan

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of things:

1. She was not cut out to be a supervisor. I've had the type. Every time an office manager left the medical office where I did billing in CT, the doctor's wife asked me to take the position. I told her no. I'm not cut out to be management material. I'm just too tenderhearted and can stress out too easily.
2. You're both stressed out.
3. Your company is cheap and you have crappy software that locks up on you while you're trying to get you work done.

Honestly, I'd think about changing jobs.

At wits end - This is a great opportunity for you - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean she did ask, didn't she? Well answer her. Please be professional and polite. You really aired your grievances here quite well. Why not do that with her (except the part about her not doing her job well).

Start by being apologetic, but tell her you are glad she asked, that you could very well use HER assistance. You should put in written form all of the problems you are having, why, and what you think should be done about them, or what would help until that could be accomplished. Explain to her that due to all of the circumstances you mentioned, that you will need extra support from management because you are unable to effectively do your job.

I do not do a lot of job hopping. I tend to hang in there with employers, even through some pretty tough times. If you think this situation is going to improve, if you like the company, and you can see a good future there, then try to work this out now - again apologetically, professionally, honestly, and with respect. Based on what I read in your post, it appears that you could do this quite well. Just tell her you are upset because you can not do your job efficiently and productively because of ...... Then turn the table and ask her what she thinks she can do to help you? She is your boss, right?

The next thing you probably need to do is get away from your job for a few hours. Soak in a bath. Have a cocktail. Clear your mind. Then go back at it again tomorrow with renewed vigor. Hang in there. I hope it gets better for you. Good luck.

Agree wholeheartedly with Fingers. - CrankyOldBroadOnTheBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
However... you also need to start DOCUMENTING EVERY SINGLE THING that is happening, including dates and times of system failures, the fact that you are, in truth, being harassed by your immediate supervisor, you're being reprimanded for not being able to do your work through no fault of your own, and this is leading to a hostile work environment.

If the day comes when you simply cannot tolerate this mess any longer, you will need to be able to prove exactly what was going on, and that you in truth did try to get the situation resolved. You will need all this documentation if you voluntarily quit the job and need to apply for unemployment.

Because one of the few grounds for unemployment eligibility if you voluntarily quit a job is hostile work environment. Yes, you have a job, but they're making it almost impossible for you to DO the job, and the unemployment law does recognize this.

Wits End - One more thing - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
In the future, when the account is getting out of TAT, e mail your supervisor, tell her why, and ask her if there is anything SHE can do to help. Even if it is the client's fault, let her know you are aware, that you care about it, and you are on the ball. This sort of puts the ball back in her court as to suggestions and dealing with the stress of it.

And then document it some more! - CrankyOldBroadOnTheBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If that had been me, sure as shootin I would - "adjust" HER attitude, but good!

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah, well. Shy of that, I'd unplug (or at least turn the ringer off) my phone while working. When she IM'ed to ask why, I'd tell her it's my new policy. And if the IM's got too fast and furious for me to get anything, done, step 2 would be to disable the IM feature while working (if possible) and tell her "e-mail me; I'll get back to you when I have time during a break."

What's really sad is the notion that as a supervisor, she's probably making tons more money than you, even though you are competent at your job, and she is not.

Fingers and Cranky are right. - Needs to be Addressed

[ In Reply To ..]
This problem needs to be confronted as soon as possible before it gets worse, and the sooner the better. It could make working conditions much better in the future, plus it is the mature and professional thing to do.

The communication and documentation described by the 2 posts, Fingers and Cranky, are essential if you intend to keep your job and be happy with it. Too many people let something like this cheat them out of a good future with a company because they cannot handle or address conflict properly. A negative attitude or avoiding the issue altogether will only make things worse.

Similar Messages:

"Selective" Email Answering By Supervisor
Sep 09, 2014

Anyone else have the problem of "selective" email answering by their supervisor or whatever they are called now? I've sent several emails (different subjects) & wow got an answer within an hour on one thing (respositiory) but others I don't get any response.  Hmmmmm....... ...

New And No One Answering My Questions
Sep 03, 2014

I'm new and no one is answering my questions.  I am getting frustrated that no one is answering my emails.  Is this common? ...

Answering My Phone
Feb 18, 2015

Do any of you answer your phone if your HDSM or PC calls you during work hours?  I got a phone call earlier from them, but I don't feel compelled to call them back, as they didn't leave a voicemail.  I am not about to sacrifice my line count for a probably pointless phone conversation. ...

Companies Who Avoid Answering Questions
Aug 13, 2012

Do you ever find it annoying when you are getting enough work each day in the pool and all of a sudden some of the doctors or accounts "disappear", and when you ask your boss about it, they do not respond to your question?  It is not that I am inconsistent with my coverage on the accounts or doing poor-quality work, I am off of QA and do not get any negative feedback, or any feedback for that matter, from the client. ...

Dear CCM,,if You Dont Answer My Emails, Im Not Answering Yours
Mar 06, 2012

Just because what I ask may not be relevant to your bottom line of keeping things in TAT doesnt mean it isnt important..If I take my time to write to you, have the common courtesy to respond...Dont worry I wont write anymore,,and I damn sure wont answer what is written to me...Ill do my job to the best of my ability as always and answer to myself and myself alone ...

12 Days Until Christmas & Still Not Approved Or Denied, Or Answering Emails.
Dec 13, 2012

x ...

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

Is Anyone Having Email Issues. Just Tried To Reply To An Email And It Didnt Work.
Dec 02, 2014

x ...

Vent - MQCentral Email Is The Lousiest Email
Dec 07, 2010

system devised!  It never seems to work and is so unbelievably slow I can't stand it!!  Glad I got that off my chest. ...

Good Ole MM. They Want Us Perfect But Their Email Saying Email Purge
Oct 19, 2012

x ...

Do They Send Rejection Email To Your Testing Email?
Mar 20, 2014

s ...

Imedx Email. How Do You Delete An Email?
Apr 06, 2015

I see nothing. ...

Trying To Email 360 Transcription With Their Email
Mar 23, 2015

and it says there is no such address.  Anyone else having trouble like that? ...

New Email Regarding The "migartion" Of Email.
Apr 02, 2015

nm ...

MDI Email
Oct 11, 2009

I haven't been able to get on my MDI email for several hours.  Anyone else having this problem? ...

Did Anyone Get A Second Email That Said
Mar 17, 2010

something like "correction to previous" email regarding line rate increase.  At first I thought,  okay, that virtually nil line raise WAS a mistake and now they will be giving us a  more reasonable raise.  Nope, it was the same exact amount.    They said correction but nothing was changed.........unless I'm missing something, but I stared at that email for while.......  ...

Where Is My Email?
Jun 28, 2010

I log into MQ Central and go to My Community.  My email is not there.  I get an error message.  What is going on?? ...

Well I Just Got An Email...
Jun 03, 2010

From my region's SVP of OPs.  Apparently my CCM is no longer my CCM.  I guess what I've read here is correct and they get rid of the good ones because my CCM rocked!  She was not just the best I'd had at MQ but one of the top managers I've ever had anywhere in any job.  Now I just wanna cry. ...

Just Got Email From CCM
Jun 21, 2010

wanting everyone to work a weekend day.  I personally can only work M-F and was hired on as such.  I know some people probably already have mandated weekend shifts, but I have another job I work weekends.  I wonder what would happend if I refuse to work weekends?  Maybe I'd get fired and then be able to collect unemployment and do the TAA for retraining.  ...

No Email Yet!!!
Aug 02, 2010

We have not had email for a week now.  I called support and they said that they are having problems.  What if there is something important we need to know, will they call us?  Hmmmfff. Anyone else have this problem. ...

MQ Email MIA
Aug 17, 2010

Is anyone else not able to access MQ Email?  Mine has been down for about a week now. ...

CMT Email From MQ
Aug 20, 2010

An email was sent out encouraging us to get our CMT or RMT.  Why?  Oh oh oh, because we MAY be eligible for a line increase of 0.005.  Not WILL be eligible - MAY be eligible.  I'll run right out and do that.  ...

My Email From CCM
Aug 20, 2010

throughout the WHOLE COMPANY.  No jobs all day and no helper pool because of low work volumes.  Anyone else out of work or running low or is it just our group being targeted it.   ...

Another Email Saying They Don't Need Us...
Sep 02, 2010

"MedQuist is migrating all of our DEP direct dictate customers to our new state of the art DocQvoice dictation capture system.  DocQvoice is providing the latest in technology capabilities that support additional redundancy for our primary and secondary telephony carriers along with database replication and application failover between our primary and secondary data centers.  This will ensure 100% direct dictation capacity capabilities if the production environment should become unavai ...

Anybody Else Get This Email?
Sep 28, 2010

This email talks about how unhappy a certain hospital is with our work and talks about omitted text, incorrect medical terminology and threatens performance management?  Wonder what's going on now? ...

HA! Just Got Email From CCM
Oct 22, 2010

asking for volunteers to help out during Hindu holiday in November. Sign me up...not.  Can't wait for my new job to start next month (NOT MT) and getting out of this Indian-owned company. Many wonderful years doing MT (10 at MQ) and I will really miss it, but have to eat and keep a roof over my head.  Gone are the good 'ol days when this profession could support a family. I really feel sorry for all the newbies coming out of school and have school loans to try and pay of ...

On And Off MQ Email
Nov 24, 2010

Seems like every other day my MQ email goes down.  Anyone else?  No communication, now work, no email---does anything in this stinkin company work? ...

Just Got An Email - W2s Now Available On ADP. NM
Jan 20, 2011

NM ...

Is There Anyway To Have Your Email
Feb 24, 2012

automatically forwarded or retrieved via another program from Mmodal's webmail?  That's the crappiest webmail setup I've ever seen & you have to go through a couple of different screens to even get to your mail...  It would be so much more convenient to have my hotmail, gmail, or outlook express retrieve it. ...

About The New Email
Jun 22, 2012

I already use Windows Live Mail.  So I went in there and added my MModal email address.  I had to verify it and I did that.  But now what?  It doesn't show up anywhere.  Where do I receive the mail?  I have looked all over the Live Mail "options" and I can't figure it out.  ...