A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fast-food workers demanding $15 per hour plus benefits - me

Posted: Dec 08, 2012

Did anybody read the article on Yahoo news regarding fast food workers demanding $15 per hour and benefits? We do not make that sometimes and we have an education plus extensive training and for us ICs a lot of overhead.

I do not deem fast food work a career but a job you work while in high school for extra spending money in your pocket......

This was all over cable news. Believe it or not, - there are many workers SM

[ In Reply To ..]
who are not teenagers who do consider this more than extra spending money. I saw a few interviews, one single mom who was 29 years old, etc.

I do have to say I wish there was a way to get attention to our industry. I believe we are in a different category than fast food workers, restaurant workers, etc. This is a KNOWLEDGE job and requires training and experience to do it well. It is not mindless work and requires special skills. It's like we are invisible, no one knows about us or what we do.

Exactly my thoughts.. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Most people seem to have the idea that we sit around in pajamas eating bon bons all day thanks to all the advertisements for MT schools that went out several years ago. I was already in school when those came out, and they were plastered on just about every telephone pole in our neighborhood. In fact, my own husband did not give me much credit until he recently had to type up his resume (thought I would teach him a lesson) He screamed and cursed for over 8 hours and afterwards told me just how smart I was after fixing the formatting for him, stating I could make a fortune typing up resumes. Haha. He still does not grasp the medical end and deciphering some of the dictation that comes in..... Heck, if fast food jobs provided healthcare benefits and paid $15 per hour, I would be the first in line applying for a job. The cost of healthcare is killing me.

And he would be second in line. He is a mover and warehouse manager (or was a manager until he got laid off almost 5 years ago. He moves heavy furniture all day at different sites all over California and does not get paid what the fast food workers think they are worth. Honestly, I know other educated people who do not get that high of pay or benefits..... You can just imagine the cost of fast food if that ever happens too, as the costs will be put on the consumer and not the companies themselves.

The only trouble is... - educated people

[ In Reply To ..]
all over the world can do our jobs remotely (even though we may not have a very high opinion of many of them). A lot of knowledge jobs were able to be offshored and done cheaper due to technology.

If they start making this wage - see message - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The restaurants will not be able to stay in business as they will have to raise their prices in order to pay salaries. It will be cheaper to dine in a nice restaurant than it will to go for fast food.

That would probably be a good thing! haha! Still, the - price of a Big Mac, etc. has gone - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
up, yet the size of the burger has shrunk. Same for all the others. I no longer consider it worth the price, and I no longer eat at fast-food restaurants. When I'm traveling, I pack my own lunch. Considering the profit these companies are making, and how little bang for their buck the customers are getting, and how hard those fast-food employees have to work, not to mention the cost of living (or school!), they deserve at LEAST that.

Your race to the bottom is the wrong way! - .

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $25 an hour doing MT until 6 years ago when I slid down the outsource/VR/outsourced more slide. I so agree with you. You have no idea. I have been here for 22 years and I'm one of the stunned, highly trained/educated group who is breath taken at the current landscape. Where do I apply my skill? Absolutely no one is impressed with a CMT or an MT anymore. At. all. Its over.

Where do you apply your skill? - Suggestion

[ In Reply To ..]
There are many jobs in health information management where you can use your skills!

You have considerable knowledge of medical record documentation. You also have a foundation in A&P, medical language, pharmacology, and healthcare in general. That knowledge can be applied to informatics, coding, medical records, and clinical documentation improvement.

Other MTs have made the move into these areas and are doing fine.

It might be over for MT, but it is NOT over for those other fields. Those other fields, in fact, are expanding.

I moved on and now make well over $25 an hour in a stable job where I am respected far more than I was as an MT.

You have to make the decision to do something positive about your career. Doing it sooner is going to be better than doing it later, too. I keep seeing MTs who are making next to nothing staying in their miserable jobs for reasons I cannot fathom.

Investigate those fields and start learning SOMETHING. If you're short of cash, then find a free resource on the internet and learn it that way.

The entire health informatics initiative course set that the government funded is available FREE on the internet. Try starting with that while you figure out what to do.

See message - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
They might not be impressed with MT or CMT any more, but they may be impressed with your other background like analytical skills, attention to detail and work ethic. I'm not sure anyone was ever very impressed with the CMT credential but that's my personal opinion. Many MTs are successfully making the transition to health informatics and health information technology, some are going into coding. Maybe you would want to do something non-clerical after 22 years. I did MT for 35 years and was forced to make a change when I got laid off. I can truthfully say that it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me as it gout me out of my comfort zone and made me realize that employers still think I'm a valuable worker. I don't ever see the fast food wage thing happening, employers will fight that tooth and nail. When you said "it's over," I hope you were only referring to MT as we know it.

I wish these MTSOs would have the decency to lay us off instead of browbeating us to death. - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
If I had unemployment to at least subsist on, I could afford to pay for COBRA while I find/train/get past waiting period for benefits with something else.
Whoa - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if a person can subsist on unemployment, it generally only pays about 50% of a person's wage and is not meant to take the place of a job. I couldn't afford COBRA and doubt if you will be able to while drawing UE, mine was $600 a month. My advice would be to train while you are still employed. Getting laid off was no fun and definitely not worth having happen to you in order to escape a job that you hate; my entire department was let go, I had been there almost 20 years. I never had to drawn unemployment as I was fortunate to find something else right away - health information tech for the facility where I used to work. Also, I had been looking for a long time. I think you'd be happier working than you would subsiding on unemployment, it does nothing for a person's self worth.
At least on UE, you're no longer shackled to your PC, - and you have the time to do - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
more extensive job-hunting, rather than just during NJA periods, or in the wee hours of the morning before you drag yourself to bed.

If I were to get laid off, I would also have time to do the odd job here and there (for CASH), that would get me by.

The MTSOs have it well figured out: Make as much money off us as they can, while they're forcing us out by paying less than minimum wage. Then justify offshoring, (and most likely avoiding any future penalties the government might impose [ha! I WISH!] for offshoring, by claiming "there are no American workers available for this job." And finally, avoiding having to pay UE by forcing us to quit, rather than firing us or laying us off.

MTSOs are the Mafia of the healthcare industry.

No one outside of MT is the slightest bit interested in - our skills, or potential to learn new ones.

[ In Reply To ..]
THAT is what's getting increasingly scary and frustrating as I search every day (so far fruitlessly) for another way to support myself.

No one in ANY field is interested in that! - See msg

[ In Reply To ..]
With the numbers of highly qualified applicants ALL job have due to unemployment being so high, employers can be very choosy. Right now, they are choosing not to hire people who need training.

MTs should not expect to be hired on the basis of "potential" and skills the employer cannot use. They need to get some training somehow in relevant skills, whether college or YouTube.

You can't walk in saying "I'm sure I can do this job...give me a chance." You have to say "This is what I did to learn this job...let me show you what I learned."

Similar Messages:

Please Help With This (fast Food ____ S/l Jonara)
Mar 31, 2011

Typing a SOAP note for a local physician and I know I have heard this word before but do not use it everyday and it is just not clicking this morning!!!  He is telling the patient to stay away from fatty foods and he uses this word in a sentence telling him to "Stay away from the fast food ____ (sounds like jonara or ganara)"   TIA! ...

Need Benefits Fast! Know Of Co That Gives Dental Ins Fast?
Jul 19, 2010

Need benefits fast!  Know of co that gives dental ins fast? ...

Indian Workers On 24-hour Strike To Protest
Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters). Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!). ...

What Are The Number Of Hour/line Requirements For FT Benefits? NM
Sep 09, 2010

X ...

Has Anyone Ever Been Fired For Demanding To Stay...
Nov 12, 2009

on a certain account or platform they are accustomed to?  In every company I have worked for, it seems like once I say I will help out on an account that is behind (usually because it is an awful account to do), I end up assigned to it...or I end up on the account that is changing platforms, taking a pay cut, and is total chaos. It seems so easy for everyone to give that speech, "just give it a try and things will get better," yet when I say it is not working out for me, ...

Fast Chart - Current Info On Fast Chart
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone have any current info on Fast Chart, good, bad, ugly?  Checked the Archives, not much recent info.  Thanks! ...

Food For
Apr 26, 2012

To illustrate the stark difference between those so many believe to be "they" and those they consider to be "we."  Let us as AMERICAN MTs think:  "… why the Central Americans… at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles had always been “on board” in terms of active grassroots participation in their local union, in contrast with non-immigrant workers who viewed the union as a sort of utility, with a bill (dues) that came once a month, but not a collective. …El ...

S/l Food Dysgrasia
Dec 08, 2010

Though there are no specific food s/l disgrasia, she states that she noticed that when she eats more fruits and vegetables, especially salads, she tends to have more trouble with her bowels. any ideas??? ...

Food Panel
Apr 13, 2011

s/l doc is saying spoo panel or SPU panel or could be food panel if he is just pronouncing it wrong.   "spoo" panel, gluten, lactose intolerance will be checked, and stool O&P.     Any ideas?  Thanks!   ...

Food Stamps
Aug 01, 2012

Article about how walmart creates workers needing to be on food stamps and benefits from that as well....like MTs needing to get food stamps and collect unemployment benefits while employed.     ...

Food Inoculant?
Mar 30, 2014

hello, dr. says food inoculant?  patient could have viral etiology or maybe food inoculance?  could not find this to confirm.     TIA! ...

Food For Thought
Nov 05, 2014

Recently the bus drivers in my area got sick of the way they were treated, literally...They called out sick and the next DAY had a 2% pay increase. Dare someone to arrange a case of "MT flu" Im in are you? ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Has Anyone Applied For Food Stamps?
Apr 10, 2013

I just wonder if they contact your employer to verify you are not making any money. How long did it take? Can you use them for pet food? ...

Want To Pass This On..food For Thought...
May 21, 2013

I left MM over a month ago.  I interviewed for a job the very next week and they hired me on the spot.  The money was wonderful, hourly only.  It was soooo sweet!  Money great, people there great.  I thanked God every day for it.  Then, on the 4th week, I was informed that my job there was over.  HERE AGAIN...they have no MTs anymore.  WHAT?!!!  Consequently, I am not ever, ever, ever, going to go for an MT job again.  I love the work so ve ...

Food Pedal With Media Player
Feb 10, 2010

does anyone have any idea how to make my USB foot pedal work with Media Player?  thanks.  I've tried everything I could think of.      ...

Some Food For Thought (while We Are In The Bread Lines)
Feb 27, 2015

I just read this article (link below), and am coming to the realization that it is not Medical Transcription companies like Nuance care about, but they are 'suffering' MTs until MT is gone completely, which will be soon in my opinion.  These companies are all competing and working toward selling their programs which will very soon eliminate the need for MT altogether because of the new EHR laws = the doctors will be doing their own editing with little free-style speech at all.&nbs ...

Express Scribe And Food Control, Go Back.
Aug 16, 2014

Hi there  I´m starting to use Express scribe with an Infinity foot control. How can I adjust it to go back for like 2-3 second everytime I stef of the foot control? ...

I Found Love In The Food Pantry Line, I Would Never Have Met Him
Nov 18, 2014

Hopefully this December romance will keep growing and I won't have to die poor and obscure alone.  Thanks, Nuance! ...

Fast Chart - Does Anyone Work For Fast Chart
Mar 07, 2013

Does anyone work for Fast Chart and what can you tell me about them? ...

3rd Week With NJA, But Ineligible For Food Stamps Due To Gross Pay. Depressed.
Jan 05, 2014

while the managers and higher ups collect their checks with no problems.  Got to find another job SOON.  ...

Making So Little With N That I Qualify For $121 A Month In Food Stamps As Individual. In FL. NM
May 30, 2014

xxxx ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Any TTS Workers Who...
Feb 23, 2013

work on the account that starts with a B and has 6 letters?  Could you please email me your yahoo messenger ID so we can keep in touch in case I have questions as I have seen the efficiency in which "the team" gets back to me.  I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks. ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Weekend Workers?
Feb 13, 2011

How many of the MTs here work on the weekends? ...

Workers Comp
Apr 21, 2011

Anyone know how to write an appeal letter?  I was denied by the judge, even though my doctor said I have wrist and hand tendinitis due to typing for 16 years.  Wow, i'm devastated, not only am I hurting, but financially a wreck.  Anyway, I am writing an appeal to the board and have no money to visit a lawyer, wondering what goes in an appeal letter.  Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

They Want Third Shift Workers, But....
Dec 12, 2011

So sorry for the rant, but I am so tired of companies wanting us all to cover third shift, but don't want to pay anything extra when we do and if they do it's something like a quarter of a penny, what in the world is that?   I know I shouldn't complain, but this shift is HARD to work, especially when you have little ones.  Just a little frustrated tonight, and I know there are people who have it worse than I do, but I don't have anywhere else to vent.  Thanks ...

Any Acusis Workers Happy There?
Jul 02, 2010

I want to go into this job with an open mind, but I just keep reading horror stories. So can anyone give me positives of working there? ...