A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Keystrokes is going to a "time clock" system in August? - Ex-KS-soon

Posted: Jun 09, 2011

So, have you heard that Keystrokes is going to a "time clock" system in August?  If this really goes through, this may be the straw... I have put up with all the other stuff going on there.  I constantly help out on other accounts as well as getting my own work done.  But, if I have to punch a clock, when I have been able to flex for 4 years, I don't think I'm gonna do it!  First off, there is no way I can sit for 8 hours straight.  I get my work done in 4 hours or so and then come back and work an extra hour or two after a break if there is work to be done. Of course, a time clock system can't be cheap to implement...must be one they are switching to the junk insurance and the reason for the pay cut, so they can "big brother" us. Sigh.  It was a good run while it lasted...

I no longer work for KS, but my take on the time clock is they - me

[ In Reply To ..]
have to do it. I don't know that it is so much for you not having any flex time, but being sure that if you work OT that it is documented and you are compensated.

When I worked there I was asked to work OT frequently, yet was never paid for it. There are others with the same complaint. I don't know if anyone has reported them to the Labor Board or not, but that would be a reason to implement the time clock.

I worked for a non-MT company where we were given comp time instead of being paid OT. I was fine with that, but evidently someone else wasn't and they filed a complaint with the Labor Board. The company had to go back and pay us for all OT. They they instituted a time-clock (since we worked at a physical location we had to physically punch in and out) and if any OT was worked it was documented and we were paid accordingly. On the flip side of that I once had to This is just my take on things based on my experience and I have no knowledge of the issue otherwise.

The time clock is for labor law - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
They have to make sure you are hitting minimum wage and they have to give overtime if you work over. You should still be able to flex. I work for Transcend and they implemented a time clock. Actually, we just input our hours worked, so it isn't exactly like punching in; however, we are still able to flex.

With MTs suing MTSOs, they are wise to pursue documentation of hours. - Keyboard Laborer

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work for a hospital where most of their MTs were at home, but they clocked in just like those of us that worked inhouse. It really is not strange at all to have such a system.

In our litigous society, it is a good idea to be able to cover your a$$ with sound documentation. They seem like they are doing what is right for the company. Also, I don't see that a time clock necessarily rules out being able to flex. You just clock out and then clock back in when you get back from whatever.

Also, they asked that YOU define your hours, so give them what you can live with, then request to vary your shift when you need to. As long as you get all your hours in by the end of the day, I don't see them being hard nosed about it.

My understanding is that KS has every confidence in its flex staff that they will keep their hours (or so I was told). I was not interested in a flex shift at that time since I like being scheduled. So, I would not take this as an insult or as an attempt to control those that flex. If they let you flex, then they trust you, not the other way around.

I agree!! - KSMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a win-win situation for everyone. The MTs can document if they work OT. KS can also see who is not working their required number of hours. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about unless they are not sticking to their scheduled hours. I don't see what the big deal is!!

There will be a way around this - Only keep track of time spent on documents..

[ In Reply To ..]
not while waiting for work. This way they don't have to pay overtime because it can take 10-12 hours just to get 8 hours of actual work done.

Document working - depends on how to document

[ In Reply To ..]
I work on an account where the person I am on with skips ahead and does reports so it looks like she is on working when in fact she is off for long periods of time. When I told the lead this person was continually not on, she would say that she apparently had been working because she didn't see any long breaks until she actually watched what was going on and saw for herself. You can put down anything, it doesn't mean it is the truth.

Where did you hear of the time clock - I have not heard anything

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder what will happen when we sit here with no work. I did hear somewhere we will only get paid while actually typing, and yet we have to sit and monitor the account. At one time they wanted us to document when we started a document and when we finished a document and not paid for anything in between. Yet, again not getting paid for monitoring the account. We sit and monitor for free!!!

KS has to pay a portion of the insurance (at least that is what I was told). The last cut in pay was when the owner's new house (6,000 sq ft) and new offices were being built. I understand at least 3 small companies were purchased by KS. The new insurance has no major medical, so watch out if you get sick or have a major illness or get hurt. As far as putting "up with a lot of stuff", that is an under statement.

Got an email... - Ex-KS-soon

[ In Reply To ..]
Got an email from my leads "assistant" yesterday that went to all MTs in her group, said it was coming around August 1.

I usually have plenty of work, but when I get about 1500 lines, I'm done for the day. Doesn't usually take me 8 hours unless I've been screwing around. However, I am always asked to help out on extra accounts, which I generally don't mind if I've got nothing else going on.

There is no law that says a company has to pay part of health insurance or even provide it (though I'm not 100% about Illinois), but this new plan is a joke. I have DHs insurance, so it doesn't matter, but still...don't get really sick or your screwed!

In the email I got it said "no more flex time, everyone must stick to a set schedule". That just won't work for me...

No e-mail for me as yet - not surprised though

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing surprises me with KS. I don't know if any laws have changed, but I was told a percentage of the insurance premium was to be paid by them.

EX-KS soon - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
When I leave I will have one heck of a post. I am also going to contact the labor board.

Keystrokes - Syzygy

[ In Reply To ..]
I've enjoyed working for Keystrokes. I'm very sorry they're cutting the health insurance. It makes a big difference to me. At the WebAir conference, the new coordinator said, "oh, we'll fight for you, we'll negotiate on your behalf if you get a big health bill".
Right. That's what we get instead of insurance. Some commission paid rep's promise. The people who are going to quit Keystrokes because of this laughable health insurance plan are exactly the people who are the backbone of their company. They really ought to do a quick poll and ask "are you planning to quit because of the health insurance?" They'll have a ragtag bunch of part timers they can try to depend on, and transcriptionists who have a working spouse with a health plan, and the rest of us will be gone taking care of our needs.

I went straight to the top about the insurance. Here is the response, which makes sense. sm - KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Out of close to 600 employees, only 103 take the insurance. Most of the insurance companies require at least 50% of the eligible employees to take the insurance, which would be over 200 need to be on it. A lot of employees of the 103 had already said that they were not renewing their insurance. Then the final straw came when Guardian sent a letter saying that they were leaving health insurance (someone posted the link a few weeks ago and it can be found on GOOGLE). They (KS) then looked at several companies and the lowest quote they received was $1200 per individual and they had to have 50% of the eligible employees sign up. There is no way anyone can afford that, even with KS paying 60%. Family rates were over $3000.

So, from what I was told, there were no more options than what they are going to. No one would take the company with less than 50% and there is no way that 50% would agree to those crazy rates.

I know that the insurance rep has offered to look at individual policies, which I am going to do.

I am afraid that this is going to become the norm. I know a lot of companies are not going to offer insurance at all. So many companies are dropping insurance and so many others are limiting people to part-time hours and not just in transcription. Something has to happen with these insurance companies.

I'm going to try the new insurance and get my own policy if I can.

There is nothing better out there. I've been through the service hopping phase. - You will find out the hard way.

[ In Reply To ..]
But I do hope the bitter people will leave KS. It is a good company.
Obviously you haven't gotten "burned" by them - yet.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Nope. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why do people stay at companies they obviously hate working for? sm - TiredOldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for KS for several years and left last year when the account I was lost to VR. Rather than go on a different account, I took a job in a hospital near my home. Trust me, the grass is not greener inside the hospital.

While at Keystrokes or any other company, I never had to document when I was in a report and for how long; why would they ask that if we are paid on production?

How would you know or care how big the owner's new house is? For all you know, maybe she had an inheritance or won the lottery or maybe *gasp* worked hard and saved for it. I don't begrudge my employers what they have because I wouldn't want the time or responsibility that they do. The CEO of the hospital I am gets dropped off at the front door every day by what is obviously his private limo. I am sure his house is a mansion, but I really could care less.

The insurance would concern me, but I have heard from friends that still work there that they did not have enough people who were on the insurance and the rates were through the roof so even more people were dropping it. For this one item, I would definitely blame insurance companies, not the employers, no matter what company or type of company.

This post just rubbed me wrong which is why I posted. As I mentioned, I worked there a while and have no idea where the owner lives, much less how big her house is. I really wouldn't care enough to find out as it's not my business.

I don't begrudge anyone - but...

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't care if the post rubs you the wrong way, let it rub away. Why weren't you put on another account if that account dried up or went to VR, obviously they didn't care enough to keep you.
I chose not to take another account. They have contacted me several times about coming back. sm - TiredOldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am seriously considering it.

As I said in my previous post, I worked there for several years. I was never paid 1 or 2 months later, never had a check bounce and never heard there was no money to pay me. As I also said in my previous post, I still keep in touch with many of the people I worked with and no one would've stayed if that happened. Why would you stay if you weren't paid for 1 or 2 months or were told there was no money? Sounds fishy to me.
I'm not sure about this time clock thing either - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not horribly excited about this time clock thing either. I can do my 8-hour shift in as little as 3-1/2 but must work 5 hrs per day to be considered full time. Do you know how annoying it is to have to sit and take my time when I could just be done? And now with a time clock I *really* have to be around for 5 hours. Ugh.
Explanation please - How is 5 hours
[ In Reply To ..]
How is 5 hours a day considered full time? Even if you work 7 days a week, that is only 35 hours. I was told full time is 40 hours per week, no less.
Because we are paid by lines - NMKS
[ In Reply To ..]
We are paid by the line, not by the hour. I type 300+ lines per hour. If I worked 8-hour days (don't think my fingers could handle it on a regular basis), that would be 2400 lines a day. However, if I take vacation, I only get paid for 150 lines an hour...

If I typed 2400 lines a day on my account on a regular basis, there are gonna be some ticked off MTs because I'm taking their work. I usually do 1500 and so does the rest of our team. We all get plenty of work, and I am off the computer in 4 or 5 hours.
Hmmm - very interesting
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, all I can say is there is a major difference between account rules. We are monitored very carefully. I am scheduled for a full day, and I'd better be working those hours. We're paid on lines, too, but we have a schedule that we are tied to, no exceptions except for illness, death, emergencies, etc. We're on IM the whole time, too.
Thanks NMKS! - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for posting that explanation! I can type 300+ lines per hour too so why sit around and drag it out. There's no way I could type at that pace for 8 hours straight, my hands would fall off!
That is the reasoning behind the time clock why pay overtime when someone only works 5 hours instead - They ruin it for those of us that work 8 hours and
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I think you're confused - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry I type fast enough to finish a full 8-hour shift in just 5 hours but I'm not going to drag it out when I type 130 WPM and can just be done. I have 2 other FT jobs and I'm a single parent so NOPE I'm not going to slow down just because others are slow and I'm "ruining" it for them.
Say what? - Again
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! I'm not the person you were addressing, but people who are expected and required by their account managers to be at work and to work a full 8-hour shift are not necessarily "slow." Think about it...if you were required to sit there for 8 hours, you probably couldn't average that many lines per hour (300 plus). It would wear you down, as you have indicated. If I were given the choice, I would ABSOLUTELY go all out and get the lines done in less time, but they have not given me that option. I would be willing to bet I can transcribe as many lines in 1 hour as you...as it is, I average about 1800 lines per 8-hour day on a very difficult account, and, believe me, 225 lines per hour on this account is considered top-notch.

It's a job until something better comes along.. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It's called paying the bills - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

TiredOld MT - We stay because - Another TiredOld MT

[ In Reply To ..]
we have obligations - bills, food, etc., and many of us don't have the luxury of a second income, and the pickens are slim out there. We apply to companies that *THOUSANDS* have applied to before us and 98% of the time, we never hear from those companies and if we're lucky to hear anything, it's usually that the position was aleady filled. Or the ones that do want us utilize VR, using a not-so-great platform with unintelligible ESLs or just plain old crappy dictators and offering to pay us a line rate that if only if we lived in Bangladesh we would be proud of.

So that's why we stay at companies we hate.
IN TOTAL AGREEMENT - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

KEYSTROKES TIME CLOCK
Oct 03, 2011

It is my understanding from an attorney that if we are required to sit and wait for the work that is considered time worked.  Keystrokes wants us to keep track of ONLY the time spent typing, any time spent NOT typing is NOT considered as time working according to them.  You would have to rack up a lot of time just typing to get in those 40 hours in order to get paid overtime.  By the way I have never been paid overtime even after 40 hours and when asked if I would receive it the anwer was ...

Keystrokes Clock In And Out
Sep 16, 2012

Recently new to KS and have a ? If I am scheduled three 8 hour days at 24 hours a week and I sit her most nights for 8 hours but only get maybe 20 reports but I stayed clocked in because when trained I was told since I was not at 40 I could stay clocked in as they just did not want anyone in overtime. Will I be paid minimum wage because obviously I was not even making that even though I had to watch the account or I would get in trouble since there is a very short TAT on some of them. I do no ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Re Time Clock, Lph, And Time Worked.
May 18, 2012

My company was honest and upfront when we started using ChartNet.  They told us that once you enter a report for VR, the time clock does not actually start for 60 seconds.  Soooo.... this means if I did 30 reports, I add 30 minutes on my time sheet, right?  Nothing was said about this for straight typing on ChartNet.  We do both.  Does anyone know if the time works the same on VR and straight typing for ChartNet?  I have tried researching it, but I can't find a ...

Time Clock
May 22, 2012

The requirement for ICs to use a time clock is apparently to protect the service from being sued for unpaid labor, right? If you sign in honestly, i.e. whenever you are doing anything for this job with the service, tech tweaking, software installation, training, spreadsheets, research, phone calls, etc., etc., etc., it would put you into overtime and you are fired, right? I'm just curious if anyone is given written instructions to sign in ONLY when your fingers will be pounding the ke ...

NJA And Time Clock
Mar 01, 2013

My company has started having us use a time clock now. What happens when we have NJA? Stay on the clock and wait? Keep clocking in and out looking for jobs?   Need advice for those who use a time clock with their company. ...

Keystrokes Tiered Pay System
Aug 13, 2010

Just wait and see how many are singing the praises of Keystrokes after the tiered pay schedule starts on August 16! I went through a pay reduction tier structured exactly like Keystrokes (at a company which I shall not name), and believe me EVERYBODY lost money. Those of you who are fulltime that think it won't be you, just wait until they shift a bunch of other MTs onto your accounts in order to "spread the wealth." This is already going on. My fulltime account, which always had a backlo ...

Be Careful With The Time Clock
Jun 24, 2010

at least once a day I go to clock out, and it clocks me in again automatically immediately.  I then have to wait and clock out again during the next minute or so to make sure that I am indeed officially clocked OUT. Watch it closely.  I don't know what is up. ...

Is There A Company Without A Time Clock?
May 21, 2011

I get paid by the line.  I can't understand why they make me stick to 40 hours.  I can't get enough lines in in 40 hours to make a decent living wage.  Does anyone know of a company (not IC) that just lets me work as much as I want? ...

RE: Is There A Company Without A Time Clock
May 27, 2011

Lest any of you would like to continue debating whether the "activity" mentioned is legal versus illegal.  Transcend paid out MANY thousands for violating the laws you all are talking about and did so around 2006-2007 as did Softscript pay out many thousands MORE around the same time and there are no doubt more violations. I do not encourage you to continue being side tracked by the conflicting posts on this board but am quite confident you all will be.  ...

THE TRUTH ABOUT KS TIME CLOCK AND OT
Oct 04, 2011

The truth is KS is being sued for not paying overtime.  KS does not have time records and that is why it is being implemented now.  I myself know overtime pay was not offered for anyone taking extra hours on my account.  I also have e-mails to that effect.  KS has not always paid overtime and if it was given it was to a select few or favorites.  At one time gift cards were being given in lieu of overtime on certain accounts, which does not make up for the overtime m ...

Anybody Else Having Trouble With Time Clock
May 14, 2012

typical Monday in M-ville ...

That Sneaky Time Clock
May 19, 2012

Sometimes I miss a punch so I go ahead and punch in when I remember, then go to Card and change it.  Well you really gotta watch it because sometimes it will go right back to the original punch time. ...

M*Modal Time Clock
May 21, 2012

Okay, I work very, very heavy hours, pushing 2000 to 3000 lines per day. I need more than 8 hours, and 40 hour weeks. How do I get around M*M on this? Do we actually clock in and out? I know they need to cover themselves legally, but I don't want 8 hour days, more like 10 to 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Any thoughts on this plan? ...

Time Clock Question
Jul 23, 2012

deleted ...

Time Clock Hours Off
May 28, 2013

Ok, I am wondering something.  I work about 10 hours a day because I have back problems so I get up and walk around the house, then back to work.  I'm not talking an hour walk around the house, I'm talking maybe 10 minutes tops.  So in that 10 hours a day I get maybe 25 hours showing on webclock for the week.  I've tried sitting longer and longer periods still at the end of the week I'm showing less hours, though my line count is 6000 and above.  Is t ...

Why Do Companies Use A Time Clock? (sm)
Apr 13, 2014

If it is going to turn around and bite them in the butt with DOL FLSA complaints?  I assume the purpose is to have proof that their employees are are not working overtime, but with so many below minimum wage, can't DOL subpeona the time clock records to prove FLSA violations?  Could it be time for all of us to file a complaint with our state DOL for minimum wage violations?  I would LOVE to get a check for all the $2.00 per hour days due to lousy dictators, lousy platform, an ...

Donated Off The Clock Time
Feb 26, 2015

I'm sure I will get monitored for this. I am not asking for some suit have it in for me. Because I have run into this so much of the time, I am asking people what they are doing. 1) I approve time card on my day off because that is my day off. Takes about 10 minutes total. Donated time. 2) When I submit an IT ticket and I get a call back that is not when I am ordinarily work, and IT has to remote on to my computer because of some mess they made (and they made the mess), I am clocking in ...

Do You Have To Punch In And Out On The Wedmedx Time Clock?
Feb 14, 2010

nm ...

Time Clock For M-modal ... Info Please
Feb 06, 2012

Hi, I worked for MQ before, and remember how their time clock functioned. Can someone provide information on how it works now?   Are we still expected to clock out when we go to the bathroom?  Do you get locked out of the system outside of your scheduled hours? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.    ...

Question About Time Clock For Training, Etc
May 20, 2012

Can someone tell me if we physically clock-in for those meeting type things, training, etc., or do we just choose from that dropdown on the left? ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...

Accentus IC Status And Time Clock
Jan 04, 2014

Do Accentus ICs have to punch a time clock?  If so, isn't that against the law?  ...

Why Does MM ASR Keep Changing Clock Time Dictated??
May 16, 2014

It keeps changing military time (24-hour clock) to regular time. It has been doing this since the "upgrade". ...

If MQ Offered Me Either 0.05 Raise Or Optioning Out Of Time Clock
Jul 08, 2011

Without a doubt, my production downfall has been the advent of being micromanaged and being held to "compliance."  I have from day one think it is RIDICULOUS to make professionals clock in, in their own living rooms.  I have always worked in spurts...1-2 hours at a time..and then I need a break.  I cannot sit for 8 hours...or even time it to two 4 hour shifts and produce.  No room for last minute things that come up...  Cannot go have lunch with a friend if the opportuni ...

How Many Employees Make Under Minimum Wage & Use A Time Clock?
Jun 27, 2014

I recently started working for a new MTSO and am employee-status for the first time.  We use a time clock.  My LPH is half what it should be due to the volume of horrid dictators. When that rare miracle happens and I get all good dictators for an hour my LPH double and meets requirement. My concern is:  How many are fired because they don't meet the required volume for fear of FSLA suits?  Is this still happening like it was a year ago?   What can we do when the l ...

Does This New QA-First Time System Make
Mar 14, 2010

I have come to not trust MQ and I am feeling as though this is another way of bilking us for lines, ease in firing, or something.  Am I alone here, or just being paranoid? ...

How Is System Time Added Up?
Jul 11, 2012

Dear MT got a review complaining about several things, but the mystery one is "System time is 5 hrs longer than time clock time" and words like "bad because it makes it look like you are working off-the-clock". Okay... how do you stop the 'system time' clock?  Stop typing?  Does the clock stop when you upload, start when you download? Stop if you leave Docqscribe? Stop if you step out for a Google/email/look up a reference? Stop only if you log out of everything? She was in ...

Keystrokes Testing Time?
May 06, 2011

Hate spending time doing testing.  Anyone willing to say approximately how long the whole testing process is with Keystrokes? ...