A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

KEYSTROKES TIME CLOCK - KS MT

Posted: Oct 03, 2011

It is my understanding from an attorney that if we are required to sit and wait for the work that is considered time worked.  Keystrokes wants us to keep track of ONLY the time spent typing, any time spent NOT typing is NOT considered as time working according to them.  You would have to rack up a lot of time just typing to get in those 40 hours in order to get paid overtime.  By the way I have never been paid overtime even after 40 hours and when asked if I would receive it the anwer was no.  I guess you have to be a favorite to get it.

What about those that don't have any work? - I guess we are considered not working.

[ In Reply To ..]
My account is over staffed and there isn't enough work to go around. There are days I only get 60 reports. It is rare these days to get 100 reports a day. So to be consdered only working when typing is rediculous.

from the email my understanding is that - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
if you are logged in to work you are considered working, whether you have work or not. What they do not want you to count in those actively working hours are any time that you log out for breaks, lunch, etc. because at that point you are not actually working.

Time typing is considered time worked. - That is a way to get away from paying overtime.

[ In Reply To ..]
That is the way read it.

That is correct. They can come back and say - you have not yet worked 40 hrs.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been told that if we are required to sit and wait for the work, that is considered time working and we SHOULD be compensated for that time (from legal counsel).

Why do you work for KS if you are so unhappy? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
KS pays better than most and do not offshore. You will be forcing them to not be able to compete in the current market, essentially shooting yourself in the foot, cutting your own nose off to spite your face.

Also, your lawyer needs to look at home worker/piecework definitions as well. We are not standard employees.

If you are required to sit in front of the computer - and wait then compensation

[ In Reply To ..]
should be paid. Whether it be per piece or not. If we have to wait then make sure there is enough work, not over staff.

You have the option to sign out, get up, etc. - Why should you be paid OT if you have no work??

[ In Reply To ..]
Talk about greedy! If you are low on work, you have the flexibility at KS to sign off, flex hours, make up time, etc. Why would you expect to get OT if you havent met your line count requirements? If I don't make my lines, I don't expect OT. That's crazy!!!!

Look around at the big companies, i.e. Medquist and Nuance, gobbling up every company they can and mostly the AMERICAN companies who refused to OUTSOURCE their work!!

Wake up people!! You are getting paid better wages than most in this industry. If you think you have it bad or you are being treated unfair, LEAVE and go somewhere else so those of us can keep making KS successful. I want to keep my job and don't want to end up like the other MTs and being employed by a company who is outsources my medical records and pays me less money!!
REALLY? I sat in front of the computer for 6 hours - on a Saturday night and only
[ In Reply To ..]
had 1 report. That was 6 hours of my time and made under $1. My lead wanted another person on that night. Is that fair? I gave up 6 hours of my free time for $1. There was another incident of working 3 hours and had only 9 reports and made less than $9. Is that fair? Again, after sitting all week (40 hours) to make nothing. Get real. You must be someone who is making money, not everyone is you know. Greedy? Not hardly. Why sit all day logging in and out and then get on later and take work away from someone who is scheduled for that time just to make my count? Is that fair? Or is it fair to expect us to work 7 days a week to make enough to cover benefits?

By the way I could care less about YOU!
That isn't right; you can't make a living that way. - Try acute care
[ In Reply To ..]
Acute care accounts are overflowing and in terrible need of MTs, particularly in the evening and night.

We are employees, not IC's. - Maybe KS should just pay

[ In Reply To ..]
everyone hourly regardless of how much employees type, I bet they would still come out way ahead of the game. Spread the wealth so to speak. They are essentially getting free coverage when the work is not available. While "management" enjoys time off, paid holidays, etc.

I used to be an operating tech and got paid - mttoo

[ In Reply To ..]
for being on call which is pretty much what it sounds like Keystrokes (and other companies) expect from their employees. Having worked for another company which overstaffed and there was no work, I filed for unemployment and got it. And boy was the company mad. But I still got partial unemployment because I was an employee and had no work. Filing for unemployment or another method to get their attention is a good thing. If we have a responsibility to show up for work, they have an obligation to supply it. And the UE office does not expect us to flex our time, an MTSO word meaning be at our beck and call.
That is exactly right we are on-call. - This needs to be brought to
[ In Reply To ..]
the Department of Labor's attention. Not only KS but all MTSO's. We are basically working for free just to cover the MTSO's accounts when there is no work and having to continually check back in or sit in front of the computer.

Not only that, we have a quota to meet in order to keep benefits.
Not at all, you still have choice not to work. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You aren't on call at all.

my plan - KSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Usually, I have plenty of work, but I don't work 8 hours a day. I do my 1200 to 1500 lines and then I'm done for the day. I honestly plan on putting down 8 hours a day for those days. Too often, I am asked to work extra on a really crappy account, and I'm not gonna do it if I can't get overtime.

Probably not the best approach, but I am about done with their crap!

Well if you are not working your 8 HOURS A DAY, YOU DON'T DESERVE OT - UNBELIEVEABLE

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope they implement a time clock for people!! It's so UNFAIR for those of us who CARE! You do you lines in 6 hours and quit but then expect OT because they ask you to help out on another account when you haven't even worked 40 hours? I hope they monitor your EVERY MOVE AND EVERY SECOND. It's people like YOU that make it bad for everyone ELSE.

I work and do MORE than my fair share, MORE THAN 1500 LINES A DAY. If my account needs it, I do more than my 8 hours. I hope they get sick of YOUR CRAP!!!

Sorry if I struck a nerve - KSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My account is always in turn around. Its another crappy account. I used to do that account full-time but since they cut my pay and pay me only when they feel like it and cut my insurance and are no where to be found when there is no work, but expect me to be tied to my computer all day and not pay for now work, I really don't care what they think (or what you think) anymore.

Have a super day.
Well then go find a job that suits YOUR LIFE BETTER - SOME OF US CARE
[ In Reply To ..]
I really do hope they implement a time clock and crack down even more! You think you have it back, go find another MT company that has better benefits, better pay, and a better account. Leave KS to those of us who are happy!!!

MTs like YOU are the ones who are driving the American companies into the ground by not caring. Go work for an OFFSHORE company, as you are helping them gobble up all the rest by your "I DON'T CARE" attitude.

You are a PATHETIC sad individual. Just find another JOB.
You go girl! Thanks for telling it like it is! - Great Post!
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You don't know me - KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
You know nothing about me. I do my job, do way more lines than a lot of people on my account. I'm always signed on at that start of my shift, etc. If they paid me for down time, I might be more apt to keep better time records, but they don't. When there is no work, no one is around to give you an answer or help you out.

As for people like me driving "American companies into the ground", HA! Corporate greed is driving companies into the ground. Corporations make more and more money on the hard work of their employees with no incentive for employees to produce more.

I'm leaving soon anyway, as soon as I graduate, so they can do whatever they want as far as the time clock.

I have always found that people that have to insult others have issues they are trying to cover up for. You have a great day!
Some of us - NYGal
[ In Reply To ..]
Have had enough of Keystrokes BS. Yay that someone is "playing the game" that KS started in the first place.

As your your name calling, isn't that a bit immature?
KS certainly has dished it out - - this is called getting even
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I have seen so many on this board that got fired - and want to blame the company
[ In Reply To ..]
So you're "payback" is just your rage over being found out that you were dishing out slop and expecting the clients to fall for it. They monitor MTSOs nowadays and expect excellent work. They request that MTs be taken off their account. When they don't perform well on another account, they are let go. No reason for revenge since it was the MTs own fault even after being given a chance to improve.

Prior to this week - NYGal

[ In Reply To ..]
Before this new "timekeeping" policy, if OT was required on my account, it was paid on anything over 1200 lines a day or working outside your shift (weekends, etc.), now that incentive has gone away...
OT is over 40 hours, incentive is often for over 1200 lines. - KS Lead
[ In Reply To ..]
The incentive for working outside your shift will still be there, offered just like it is now. Incentive has nothing to do with OT. I checked this with my coordinator to make sure. One is not the other and neither is going away. The time is to make sure that everyone is compensated for OT, that schedules are being held and to help eliminate the no-work situation that a few accounts experience from time to time. I know they are evaluating hourly for those accounts, and have already done that with some.

why do you take it so personal? - just curious

[ In Reply To ..]
You act like this is a personal attack on you...hmmm

I don't blame you. I would do the same. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
It is called payback.

Going downhill fast - KSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, KS is going downhill. I used to love to work for this company, but things are getting worse. It seems like every other week there is something else. Maybe if they stopped spending money on this kind of thing, they would be able to pay their employees and provide some decent benefits as well.

I'm sorry to hear that so many people don't have work or don't get OT. I know of a couple of accounts that are swamped and they have been offering OT recently, but still can't get the backlog down. I think we are all just burned out.

In all honesty, TATs are so tight that sm - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the only way to keep in TAT is to overstaff the account. MTs are fickle. They complain about no work, but when you have OT, they can't be found. We took people off the account I am on, then we ended up with more than we can handle. Now we are in the peak of the year, and it is madness, and no one wants to work. Dictation comes in waves, and it is necessary to overstaff a bit to allow for sickness, downtime, internet, disaster, vacations, and giving staff appropriate time off. It is not possible to have an even work flow. That is unrealistic. None of you could do a better job than we are doing. We tried the suggestion of thinning out the staff, now the client is angry because we are so out of TAT. Overstaffing is THE ONLY WAY to handle the ups and downs to satisfy the client. To do otherwise is suicidal from a business point of view.

I disagree, scheduling is a BIG issue - Not everyone can work bankers hours

[ In Reply To ..]
I love my job but I think the scheduling can be handled much better. Not everyone can work Mon-Fri 1st shift in this profession, especially acute care. You take a model of dictated lines in for a month and you take that average to see how many FTEs you need and at what times/shifts. Yes, busy times people might have to work more or you might run into slow times but you don't need to over staff all year for your heavy volume times a couple times a year!! That's nonsense if you ask me and unfair to your employees.
Actually, most MTs want to work days. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It is hard to get people to work evenings and nights. Sometimes they sign on, then when the get trained, they demand to go to a Monday through Friday shift or they'll quit.

We can't hold dictation until morning, because it is out of TAT by that time, but that is what they want us to do for them.

I agree that appropriate scheduling is the answer, but MTs don't exactly cooperate with that.

But you do have to overstaff to take care not only the ups and downs of dictation but also the ups and downs of MTs that really don't want to work. They are good when they are there, but definitely chronically ill or with crisis-proned lives. IMO, MTs are their own worst enemies by and large.

It is sad that people post without knowing the facts. Ask and you won't have grey areas. sm - KS MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I emailed my boss's boss and asked about the time keeping. The only time we take off our hours is when we are taking breaks such as dinner or lunch or stepping away from our desks for more than a few minutes. It is not for when we are sitting waiting for work, that still counts in the hours even if there is no work.

Instead of assuming it's a bad thing, you should ask if you are unsure. I also found out that it so that we are paid OT when we work it, to find out where the work is slowest so that they can move people around and to better staff the accounts while making sure everyone has enough work to hit the minimums.

She did say, just like the email did, that OT has to be approved and that if you work more than 40 hours in a week, you need written approval before you do it.

I think that there are a lot of people who jump to conclusions and then start a panic without knowing the facts. I see this all the time at the hospital work at as a per diem employee, which is part of why I prefer working at home.

Agreed, ever paranoid. - MTSomebody

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

KS lies - they are always looking for someone to - take weekend hours and

[ In Reply To ..]
NOT pay overtime. I used to take the hours and when asked about being paid overtime pay it was denied. I no longer take those hours.

My account always runs out of work and it is nothing to sit for 1-2 hours waiting. Basically working for free.

You showed them, huh? - areureallyproudofthat

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Keystrokes Is Going To A "time Clock" System In August?
Jun 09, 2011

So, have you heard that Keystrokes is going to a "time clock" system in August?  If this really goes through, this may be the straw... I have put up with all the other stuff going on there.  I constantly help out on other accounts as well as getting my own work done.  But, if I have to punch a clock, when I have been able to flex for 4 years, I don't think I'm gonna do it!  First off, there is no way I can sit for 8 hours straight.  I get my work done in 4 hours or so and then ...

Keystrokes Clock In And Out
Sep 16, 2012

Recently new to KS and have a ? If I am scheduled three 8 hour days at 24 hours a week and I sit her most nights for 8 hours but only get maybe 20 reports but I stayed clocked in because when trained I was told since I was not at 40 I could stay clocked in as they just did not want anyone in overtime. Will I be paid minimum wage because obviously I was not even making that even though I had to watch the account or I would get in trouble since there is a very short TAT on some of them. I do no ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Re Time Clock, Lph, And Time Worked.
May 18, 2012

My company was honest and upfront when we started using ChartNet.  They told us that once you enter a report for VR, the time clock does not actually start for 60 seconds.  Soooo.... this means if I did 30 reports, I add 30 minutes on my time sheet, right?  Nothing was said about this for straight typing on ChartNet.  We do both.  Does anyone know if the time works the same on VR and straight typing for ChartNet?  I have tried researching it, but I can't find a ...

Time Clock
May 22, 2012

The requirement for ICs to use a time clock is apparently to protect the service from being sued for unpaid labor, right? If you sign in honestly, i.e. whenever you are doing anything for this job with the service, tech tweaking, software installation, training, spreadsheets, research, phone calls, etc., etc., etc., it would put you into overtime and you are fired, right? I'm just curious if anyone is given written instructions to sign in ONLY when your fingers will be pounding the ke ...

NJA And Time Clock
Mar 01, 2013

My company has started having us use a time clock now. What happens when we have NJA? Stay on the clock and wait? Keep clocking in and out looking for jobs?   Need advice for those who use a time clock with their company. ...

Be Careful With The Time Clock
Jun 24, 2010

at least once a day I go to clock out, and it clocks me in again automatically immediately.  I then have to wait and clock out again during the next minute or so to make sure that I am indeed officially clocked OUT. Watch it closely.  I don't know what is up. ...

Is There A Company Without A Time Clock?
May 21, 2011

I get paid by the line.  I can't understand why they make me stick to 40 hours.  I can't get enough lines in in 40 hours to make a decent living wage.  Does anyone know of a company (not IC) that just lets me work as much as I want? ...

RE: Is There A Company Without A Time Clock
May 27, 2011

Lest any of you would like to continue debating whether the "activity" mentioned is legal versus illegal.  Transcend paid out MANY thousands for violating the laws you all are talking about and did so around 2006-2007 as did Softscript pay out many thousands MORE around the same time and there are no doubt more violations. I do not encourage you to continue being side tracked by the conflicting posts on this board but am quite confident you all will be.  ...

THE TRUTH ABOUT KS TIME CLOCK AND OT
Oct 04, 2011

The truth is KS is being sued for not paying overtime.  KS does not have time records and that is why it is being implemented now.  I myself know overtime pay was not offered for anyone taking extra hours on my account.  I also have e-mails to that effect.  KS has not always paid overtime and if it was given it was to a select few or favorites.  At one time gift cards were being given in lieu of overtime on certain accounts, which does not make up for the overtime m ...

Anybody Else Having Trouble With Time Clock
May 14, 2012

typical Monday in M-ville ...

That Sneaky Time Clock
May 19, 2012

Sometimes I miss a punch so I go ahead and punch in when I remember, then go to Card and change it.  Well you really gotta watch it because sometimes it will go right back to the original punch time. ...

M*Modal Time Clock
May 21, 2012

Okay, I work very, very heavy hours, pushing 2000 to 3000 lines per day. I need more than 8 hours, and 40 hour weeks. How do I get around M*M on this? Do we actually clock in and out? I know they need to cover themselves legally, but I don't want 8 hour days, more like 10 to 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Any thoughts on this plan? ...

Time Clock Question
Jul 23, 2012

deleted ...

Time Clock Hours Off
May 28, 2013

Ok, I am wondering something.  I work about 10 hours a day because I have back problems so I get up and walk around the house, then back to work.  I'm not talking an hour walk around the house, I'm talking maybe 10 minutes tops.  So in that 10 hours a day I get maybe 25 hours showing on webclock for the week.  I've tried sitting longer and longer periods still at the end of the week I'm showing less hours, though my line count is 6000 and above.  Is t ...

Why Do Companies Use A Time Clock? (sm)
Apr 13, 2014

If it is going to turn around and bite them in the butt with DOL FLSA complaints?  I assume the purpose is to have proof that their employees are are not working overtime, but with so many below minimum wage, can't DOL subpeona the time clock records to prove FLSA violations?  Could it be time for all of us to file a complaint with our state DOL for minimum wage violations?  I would LOVE to get a check for all the $2.00 per hour days due to lousy dictators, lousy platform, an ...

Donated Off The Clock Time
Feb 26, 2015

I'm sure I will get monitored for this. I am not asking for some suit have it in for me. Because I have run into this so much of the time, I am asking people what they are doing. 1) I approve time card on my day off because that is my day off. Takes about 10 minutes total. Donated time. 2) When I submit an IT ticket and I get a call back that is not when I am ordinarily work, and IT has to remote on to my computer because of some mess they made (and they made the mess), I am clocking in ...

Do You Have To Punch In And Out On The Wedmedx Time Clock?
Feb 14, 2010

nm ...

Time Clock For M-modal ... Info Please
Feb 06, 2012

Hi, I worked for MQ before, and remember how their time clock functioned. Can someone provide information on how it works now?   Are we still expected to clock out when we go to the bathroom?  Do you get locked out of the system outside of your scheduled hours? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.    ...

Question About Time Clock For Training, Etc
May 20, 2012

Can someone tell me if we physically clock-in for those meeting type things, training, etc., or do we just choose from that dropdown on the left? ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...

Accentus IC Status And Time Clock
Jan 04, 2014

Do Accentus ICs have to punch a time clock?  If so, isn't that against the law?  ...

Why Does MM ASR Keep Changing Clock Time Dictated??
May 16, 2014

It keeps changing military time (24-hour clock) to regular time. It has been doing this since the "upgrade". ...

If MQ Offered Me Either 0.05 Raise Or Optioning Out Of Time Clock
Jul 08, 2011

Without a doubt, my production downfall has been the advent of being micromanaged and being held to "compliance."  I have from day one think it is RIDICULOUS to make professionals clock in, in their own living rooms.  I have always worked in spurts...1-2 hours at a time..and then I need a break.  I cannot sit for 8 hours...or even time it to two 4 hour shifts and produce.  No room for last minute things that come up...  Cannot go have lunch with a friend if the opportuni ...

How Many Employees Make Under Minimum Wage & Use A Time Clock?
Jun 27, 2014

I recently started working for a new MTSO and am employee-status for the first time.  We use a time clock.  My LPH is half what it should be due to the volume of horrid dictators. When that rare miracle happens and I get all good dictators for an hour my LPH double and meets requirement. My concern is:  How many are fired because they don't meet the required volume for fear of FSLA suits?  Is this still happening like it was a year ago?   What can we do when the l ...

Keystrokes Testing Time?
May 06, 2011

Hate spending time doing testing.  Anyone willing to say approximately how long the whole testing process is with Keystrokes? ...

Does Keystrokes Hire Part-time?
May 03, 2010

Does Keystrokes hire part-time? ...

Does Anyone Know If Keystrokes Hires Part-time Employees? Nm
May 04, 2012

nm ...

Does Keystrokes Hire Part-time Transcriptionists?
Jul 02, 2012

. ...