A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Time Clock - Angie

Posted: May 22, 2012

The requirement for ICs to use a time clock is apparently to protect the service from being sued for unpaid labor, right? If you sign in honestly, i.e. whenever you are doing anything for this job with the service, tech tweaking, software installation, training, spreadsheets, research, phone calls, etc., etc., etc., it would put you into overtime and you are fired, right? I'm just curious if anyone is given written instructions to sign in ONLY when your fingers will be pounding the keyboard, and never for other work we do.

I'm an IC and I've never used a timeclock - IC and Loving It

[ In Reply To ..]
I get paid by production only, so no timeclock. IC rules are different from employee rules, though. I wouldn't do a timeclock as an IC unless I was paid hourly. Are you paid hourly?

IC's are being required to use time clocks now... - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]

Where? I don't. - IC and Loving It

[ In Reply To ..]
And I don't see the need to use one either as an IC. Employee law is different from being an IC. I'm curious as to who is requiring it and why.
ICs sell their services. There is no reason those services - cannot be measured by time. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to be a true IC as an appraiser with my own business who wrote and signed my own reports. I sold my services per job, each a contract. If a business had wanted to buy a week of my time, on the clock, I would have given them a price and sold them that week.

Time is only ONE criterion among many that are considered together to determine whether an IC relationship exists. In and of itself, timekeeping does not have to be inconsonant with IC status.

Added to everything else, though, it's skating awfully close at very least. For sure many "IC" MTs are just employees being ripped off royally, with their permission, of course. It'll be extremely interesting to see how this plays out in court, as it certainly eventually will--failing sabotage by a crooked legislative branch and crooked judiciary.

no they aren't - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are using a time clock, you're a misclassified worker.

Just because you call yourself an IC and your company calls you an IC, doesn't make you an IC.

I'm a TRUE IC and I don't punch a time clock or account for my time in any way to any of the MTSO's I contract work from.

I've asked you this before, Angie-- WHY ARE YOU DOING IT? Your stories just don't ring true to me. Sound much more like fishing expeditions.

BTW- What does the contract you presented the MTSO with say about time clocks? And why would you include that?
(I already know you will say you didn't/can't/couldn't give them a contract which is bunk.)
Agree - IC and Loving It
[ In Reply To ..]
The only way an IC can be using a timeclock is if you are really an employee and the company is trying to get away with not paying your taxes. ICs are not accountable for time nor are they committed to a schedule set by the MTSO. My contract states what my TAT is. I work when I want and thus pay my own taxes. I set my own schedule and work when I want to. I am not told when to work, thus no timeclock is necessary. And as an IC, if you don't have a contract, there is something really strange about that too.
I don't need to be educated as to the difference... - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
between an IC and employee.I've done both for decades. I am new to working for a service as I have always had my own accounts OR been employed with hospitals. If you read the posts on this board you would be aware that it has been reported that many services are requiring ICs to use a time clock now.

As to your snide comment "your stories just don't reing true to me". That does not even merit a response.

There is a need to know what ICs using time clocks with services are doing and what they are clocking in and out for. Majority rules and thus the need to know what the majority is doing. Get it now?
I get it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
And your real "story" is gathering information for the flock, I imagine and not at all your continued coming across as not so bright regarding time clocks. So rather than rail at time clocks and that not being your real point, why not just say- I want to know who to take to court?
This is about the use of time clocks.... - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
NOT taking anyone to court. I don't understand why some have to twist everything into a fight when MTs should be working together. Do you have no interest in knowing whether or not MTs are being fired for working overtime when they are classified as ICs?? I want to know the truth. Are we better off clocking in our REAL time or just "production time" we are paid for?
Time clock or no - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
If a person has to punch a time clock, it should be when s/he "arrives and is ready for work, giving full attention to the task at hand, until the end of her/her designated hour to stop being available."

Notice I put a period at the end of my sentence. That person is an employee.

It is not about being an IC. No IC should use a time clock. Being available for a specified shift is another thing altogether from being required to punch a clock.

The question is about control. If your are being required to punch a clock, you are controlled so tightly that you are not an IC.
no - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have an interest in knowing whether or not MTs are being fired for working overtime when they are classified as an IC. If MTs wised up and stopped taking jobs that misclassified them, this discussion would be moot.

If you're an IC and punching a time clock, you're not an IC. Really is all there is to it.
If you are an IC, overtime isn't an issue - IC and Loving It
[ In Reply To ..]
It's all about the contract you make with the company, or the contract that you agree to with the company, so long as that contract follows the rules under IC and not as an employee relationship that they are trying to pass off as IC, which a lot of companies are trying to do nowadays. If a contractor agrees to a certain pay, and the job takes longer than expected, they can try to ask for more money, but they aren't necessarily going to get it because they signed a contract.

As for your other comment about MTs working together, I do think it would be nice if MTs all were nicer to each other on here, but what I think and feel doesn't really matter much on here. It is what it is. And I'm not trying to fight with you. I'm just trying to understand where it is you are coming from and making sure you aren't really an employee being duped by your company you are contracting with.
No, I don't get it. It sounds like an employee relationship to me - IC and Loving It
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm trying to understand how being and IC and clocking in and out work, but I'm not seeing it. I read the rest of the posts and the last post on here does make sense to me where the person is paid hourly while she is actually working, but the company is keeping track of it on their own; however, it seems that person can still come and go as they please as long as they get six hours in. I'm not sure I agree with the required six hours either, but I guess so long as s/he is not being dictated how those six hours are done, it still fits under IC.

Apparently not all of them, mine does not require a time clock - Whether for QAing (hourly) or MT work (cpl)

[ In Reply To ..]
Please try not to generalize all the companies into one category. It's very confusing to others.
Did not generalize - I never said "all companies". - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
You said "ICs...", which indicates collectively grouping - Thats why ur post generated a "huh" response
[ In Reply To ..]
As you can see, you might be in a minority here with the time clock situation as an IC (and you sure have my sympathy, ugh!). I think your post apparently confused quite a few of us by not stating "Some ICs" or qualifying your statement.

As an IC, if you want to be paid for all the stuff you mention - IC and Loving It

[ In Reply To ..]
Then that kind of thing would need to be spelled out in your contract. And you would have to prove that you are doing it, but I'm not sure a Timeclock would do it because you still couldn't prove that you did anything during that "on the clock" time. I guess you could stipulate in a contract that you want a certain figure daily on top of your production pay for any research, software installation, training, etc that you are doing.

By the clock - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I am supposedly paid by the hour. I am an IC. The company I work for has a clock when I am in a file and it shuts off in between files. It is all done by their system and keeps track of lines and time. I never have to put in a time sheet either. I cannot stop to do anything while in a file, not even go to the bathroom. I am required to work 6 hours a day.

You poor thing! - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Gosh, be careful how much coffee you drink... Do other companies require employees to punch out when they go to the bathroom? I think not...

Many people don't understand - HIPAA

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not supposed to leave a report open while you step away for personal business. Maybe you just don't appreciate how they keep you protected?
That is just silly when you are working - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
at home and in a secure environment. HIPAA has nothing to do with this discussion. If you are punching a time clock you are not an IC, period. MTSOs will get away with whatever they can especially when people are desperate for a job.
it is not at all silly - understand HIPAA
[ In Reply To ..]
Part of HIPAA was to bring computers into compliance to monitor what employee is doing what. The directors of the MTSO don't know if you decided to take your laptop to the pool today and work from there, or if you live in a high rise with the drapes pulled open and you have a peeping Tom neighbor who has a fetish for the way your fingers fly all over the keyboard and watches you through a telescope.

It is the right of an MTSO to protect themselves from lawsuits because not everyone is capable of providing the same layer of security as is directed by HIPAA.
tell India about your HIPAA breach - just what on earth
[ In Reply To ..]
What on earth does a peeping tom have to do with a time clock? He will peep whether you are punched in or not and the time clock does not know if your curtians are closed or if you are at the pool.
sigh, some people just dont get it - resignation - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Paid by the hour - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
The big problem I have with this MTSO is some of the dicators are very hard to understand and they expect 150 lines per hour and I'm not sure I can do that many. I get tired after about five hours and slow down. I am supposed to be paid by the hour but am still on production
that's how it should be - imo
[ In Reply To ..]
This isn't an hourly position, no matter how much people want to spout off that it should be. Or if it's going to be hourly then there should be production requirements.

If you can't do 150 lph then I have to wonder what your skill set is, seriously. Brand new out of the box MTs do at least 100.

And since I'm going to get accused of being a suit and I'm not, let me ask a suit question: If you flag after 5 hours, you were then expecting to be carried by that hourly wage?

Similar Messages:

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Re Time Clock, Lph, And Time Worked.
May 18, 2012

My company was honest and upfront when we started using ChartNet.  They told us that once you enter a report for VR, the time clock does not actually start for 60 seconds.  Soooo.... this means if I did 30 reports, I add 30 minutes on my time sheet, right?  Nothing was said about this for straight typing on ChartNet.  We do both.  Does anyone know if the time works the same on VR and straight typing for ChartNet?  I have tried researching it, but I can't find a ...

NJA And Time Clock
Mar 01, 2013

My company has started having us use a time clock now. What happens when we have NJA? Stay on the clock and wait? Keep clocking in and out looking for jobs?   Need advice for those who use a time clock with their company. ...

Be Careful With The Time Clock
Jun 24, 2010

at least once a day I go to clock out, and it clocks me in again automatically immediately.  I then have to wait and clock out again during the next minute or so to make sure that I am indeed officially clocked OUT. Watch it closely.  I don't know what is up. ...

Is There A Company Without A Time Clock?
May 21, 2011

I get paid by the line.  I can't understand why they make me stick to 40 hours.  I can't get enough lines in in 40 hours to make a decent living wage.  Does anyone know of a company (not IC) that just lets me work as much as I want? ...

RE: Is There A Company Without A Time Clock
May 27, 2011

Lest any of you would like to continue debating whether the "activity" mentioned is legal versus illegal.  Transcend paid out MANY thousands for violating the laws you all are talking about and did so around 2006-2007 as did Softscript pay out many thousands MORE around the same time and there are no doubt more violations. I do not encourage you to continue being side tracked by the conflicting posts on this board but am quite confident you all will be.  ...

KEYSTROKES TIME CLOCK
Oct 03, 2011

It is my understanding from an attorney that if we are required to sit and wait for the work that is considered time worked.  Keystrokes wants us to keep track of ONLY the time spent typing, any time spent NOT typing is NOT considered as time working according to them.  You would have to rack up a lot of time just typing to get in those 40 hours in order to get paid overtime.  By the way I have never been paid overtime even after 40 hours and when asked if I would receive it the anwer was ...

THE TRUTH ABOUT KS TIME CLOCK AND OT
Oct 04, 2011

The truth is KS is being sued for not paying overtime.  KS does not have time records and that is why it is being implemented now.  I myself know overtime pay was not offered for anyone taking extra hours on my account.  I also have e-mails to that effect.  KS has not always paid overtime and if it was given it was to a select few or favorites.  At one time gift cards were being given in lieu of overtime on certain accounts, which does not make up for the overtime m ...

Anybody Else Having Trouble With Time Clock
May 14, 2012

typical Monday in M-ville ...

That Sneaky Time Clock
May 19, 2012

Sometimes I miss a punch so I go ahead and punch in when I remember, then go to Card and change it.  Well you really gotta watch it because sometimes it will go right back to the original punch time. ...

M*Modal Time Clock
May 21, 2012

Okay, I work very, very heavy hours, pushing 2000 to 3000 lines per day. I need more than 8 hours, and 40 hour weeks. How do I get around M*M on this? Do we actually clock in and out? I know they need to cover themselves legally, but I don't want 8 hour days, more like 10 to 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Any thoughts on this plan? ...

Time Clock Question
Jul 23, 2012

deleted ...

Time Clock Hours Off
May 28, 2013

Ok, I am wondering something.  I work about 10 hours a day because I have back problems so I get up and walk around the house, then back to work.  I'm not talking an hour walk around the house, I'm talking maybe 10 minutes tops.  So in that 10 hours a day I get maybe 25 hours showing on webclock for the week.  I've tried sitting longer and longer periods still at the end of the week I'm showing less hours, though my line count is 6000 and above.  Is t ...

Why Do Companies Use A Time Clock? (sm)
Apr 13, 2014

If it is going to turn around and bite them in the butt with DOL FLSA complaints?  I assume the purpose is to have proof that their employees are are not working overtime, but with so many below minimum wage, can't DOL subpeona the time clock records to prove FLSA violations?  Could it be time for all of us to file a complaint with our state DOL for minimum wage violations?  I would LOVE to get a check for all the $2.00 per hour days due to lousy dictators, lousy platform, an ...

Donated Off The Clock Time
Feb 26, 2015

I'm sure I will get monitored for this. I am not asking for some suit have it in for me. Because I have run into this so much of the time, I am asking people what they are doing. 1) I approve time card on my day off because that is my day off. Takes about 10 minutes total. Donated time. 2) When I submit an IT ticket and I get a call back that is not when I am ordinarily work, and IT has to remote on to my computer because of some mess they made (and they made the mess), I am clocking in ...

Do You Have To Punch In And Out On The Wedmedx Time Clock?
Feb 14, 2010

nm ...

Time Clock For M-modal ... Info Please
Feb 06, 2012

Hi, I worked for MQ before, and remember how their time clock functioned. Can someone provide information on how it works now?   Are we still expected to clock out when we go to the bathroom?  Do you get locked out of the system outside of your scheduled hours? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.    ...

Question About Time Clock For Training, Etc
May 20, 2012

Can someone tell me if we physically clock-in for those meeting type things, training, etc., or do we just choose from that dropdown on the left? ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...

Accentus IC Status And Time Clock
Jan 04, 2014

Do Accentus ICs have to punch a time clock?  If so, isn't that against the law?  ...

Why Does MM ASR Keep Changing Clock Time Dictated??
May 16, 2014

It keeps changing military time (24-hour clock) to regular time. It has been doing this since the "upgrade". ...

If MQ Offered Me Either 0.05 Raise Or Optioning Out Of Time Clock
Jul 08, 2011

Without a doubt, my production downfall has been the advent of being micromanaged and being held to "compliance."  I have from day one think it is RIDICULOUS to make professionals clock in, in their own living rooms.  I have always worked in spurts...1-2 hours at a time..and then I need a break.  I cannot sit for 8 hours...or even time it to two 4 hour shifts and produce.  No room for last minute things that come up...  Cannot go have lunch with a friend if the opportuni ...

How Many Employees Make Under Minimum Wage & Use A Time Clock?
Jun 27, 2014

I recently started working for a new MTSO and am employee-status for the first time.  We use a time clock.  My LPH is half what it should be due to the volume of horrid dictators. When that rare miracle happens and I get all good dictators for an hour my LPH double and meets requirement. My concern is:  How many are fired because they don't meet the required volume for fear of FSLA suits?  Is this still happening like it was a year ago?   What can we do when the l ...

Keystrokes Is Going To A "time Clock" System In August?
Jun 09, 2011

So, have you heard that Keystrokes is going to a "time clock" system in August?  If this really goes through, this may be the straw... I have put up with all the other stuff going on there.  I constantly help out on other accounts as well as getting my own work done.  But, if I have to punch a clock, when I have been able to flex for 4 years, I don't think I'm gonna do it!  First off, there is no way I can sit for 8 hours straight.  I get my work done in 4 hours or so and then ...

Transcend "time Clock"
Feb 15, 2012

I've tried to sort through bajillions of posts (or so it seems) about TRCR requiring MLS to only clock the time w/ their hands on the keyboard, and I have a couple of questions. 1)  If this is an issue w/ you, are you not making the $ reqiored for the ppd, yet you're working your required hours? 2)  Do you run out of work regularly (I'm not talking the last day or two of the ppd)? Just curious.  I'm not a suit.  I'm just relatively new and I'v ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

2 O'clock To 7 O'clock
Jun 29, 2010

Is is 2:00 o'clock to 7:00 o'clock 2:00 o'clock-7:00 o'clock 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock   or 2 o'clock-7 o'clock ...

O'clock
Nov 06, 2010

Can you help me?  I have a Operative Report, the doctor dictates o'clock. Do I type "of the clock", since contractions are not supposed to be typed? Thanks   ...

10 O'clock Or 10:00?
Apr 14, 2011

The doctor said:  The patient's EKG was unchanged from the EKG of 07/20/2010, both the 10:00 one, and the 11:15 one. He meant that there were 2 EKGs today, one at 10 and one at 11:15, that were unchanged from one almost a year ago, in 2010.  Is 10:00 incorrect?  Should it be "both the 10 o'clock one, and the 11:15 one?" ...