A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Axolotl - anyone else losing serious money here? - LosingMoneyDaily

Posted: Mar 03, 2010

Is it only me or is anyone else losing serious money here?  for the past 6 months I have NOT been able to make more than 950 dollars a month take-home.  now with the new program my pay is even less.  Please, is this happening to anyone else or am I being singled out.  no matter what I do I cannot make more than 220 to 250 dollars a week in may paycheck, and am onily getting paid twice a month.  I am short about 6 hours with mmodal now.  IS IT JUST ME they are doing this to? 

M-Modal is bad, period. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not at Axolotl, but at another company (PS) that recently switched to VR with M-Modal, and I'm working twice as hard and making half as much. It's carp.

I actually qualify now for some 'government' help which is embarrassing - LosingMoneyDaily

[ In Reply To ..]
but my pay is so low I am getting help with my utiliy bills (I guess government subsidized because I have to take all my paperwork and kind of 'grovel' to keep my electric and heat on), and I actually got taxes back this year, which is a first since I was working for minimum wage.

this is extremely disturbing and if anyone is making more than I am PLEASE let me know how, where, and let me in on it. and I don't mean 10 hours a day behind this desk with no breaks just to barely make what I made in 1990 which was 649 dollars every 2 weeks take home. (might I add that was with benefits included) I am now officially making very much less than that.

I've had to rely upon heating assistance, too. You're not alone in that. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
My son qualifies for free lunch at school due to crappy income. nm - Sims
[ In Reply To ..]
Assistance - kat
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow,now I don't feel so bad. I am getting heating assistance, food stamps, and medicaid!!! This is the first time in my life I have had to do this, and I just turned 60, so I don't feel bad about it. Gotta survive.

Don't you get paid by the hour? - Axolotl MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought we were supposed to get paid by the hour to start with and then switch to a line rate again, though they never mentioned what that line rate would be.

paid only for keying actually. - LMD

[ In Reply To ..]
there appears to be no compensation for anything other than actual keying. straight keying for 7 to 8 hours a day with no breaks or meals, or anything but keying. I don't see any other option except working extra hours out of my own time a day to complete 7 hours of straight keying.

do other companies do this on VR, make you work like this with no pay for anything except keying?

Axolotl/M-Modal - Ax MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
They told us that they would average our pay for 6 months and then pay us that hourly rate for a while until we could learn the system and get up to speed. I don't remember if they gave a time frame or not.

I think overall things have been going downhill.
M-modal - Bear Lover
[ In Reply To ..]
This m-modal thing worries me. For every pause from dictation, while doctor is conversing with someone, even when a good dictation comes along with few correction to be made and no keying is going on, this will count against mt. The clock keeps on tick'n. Is this unfair or what?

Other VR systems - What in the world

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for has 2 different VR systems and both of them you get paid by the line. Getting paid for keying? That sounds absolutely absurd. You should be getting paid for all the info packed into your MT brain and editing the report with your knowledge. Even if you aren't KEYING, you are still taking your time to review the report and listen to the dictation. If my company goes to something like this, I'm outta this field for good. I would tell your company perhaps they need to hire some monkeys.
I think the system times out after 5 minutes - LMD
[ In Reply To ..]
so supposedly you are getting a bit paid for that during the report but nothing else. there is no compensation for anything once your hands are off the keyboard. I am sinking very quickly here and almost disgusted.

I just want to know if anyone else has this issue. do other companies do this? am I the only one this is happening to?

Axolotl - totally baffled

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was required by law that an employer allow one half hour break for an 8 hour shift or two 15 minute breaks if working a split 8 hour shift. It seems if we take a break during our shift (like we are supposed to) it is being deducted off our shift time. I wonder what the dept. of labor would say about this. Anytime the keys don't move, time is deducted off. There are going to be times that things need to be researched or there will be pauses in the dictation, they may be looking through the chart, etc. This all takes time away from us. This is all beyond our control but we get penalized for it anyway. If those keys don't move, we lose time. Are we supposed to choose between "slapping the keys" or making sure what we type/edit is correct and accurate? It seems like the whole meaning of transcription is literally going out the window. I sure hope this doesn't hamper quality which is something they so pride themselves on. Unfortunately though, I don't see how this couldn't have an impact on quality. I think this is also going to hurt many transcriptionists by impacting their wages as well.(I'm not saying it's fine for someone to be doing something else while they should be working but there will be times the keying will stop for work-related reasons too). I'd be willing to bet that if this is the trend they are going to take on, there is going to be a massive amount of good quality transcriptionists jumping ship. Not many are going to be willing to do the time only for it to be pulled back on them because they stop keying to look up a word, etc., especially when typing/editing the most challenging account we have (and we all know which one I speak of) and putting up with the ridiculous idiosyncracies that come with that account. I think the other poster had it right, maybe they should hire a bunch of monkeys to do the work. It just totally baffles me that they are doing this. Just my opinion.
Pay rate for "keying"? - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you still being paid your initial hourly rate for this "keying" or have they come up with a pay plan per keystroke or what? Sounds very confusing.
Axolotl - totally baffled - Ax_MT3
[ In Reply To ..]
Some things have been posted here about Axolotl that are just not truthful. Axolotl is paying the MT/Editor by the hour (a very fair wage I might add). I am not making any less on hourly rate than I was on production. Management was correct when they said they would do a payroll analysis to come up with the hourly rate so that I would not lose money. If someone is only making $900.00 a month, they are not actually transcribing a full shift. If the MT stops to look up a word, they are compensated for that time. It is absurd to think that a transcription company would not pay an MT to research terminology in part of his/her job, thus sacrifice the high quality that Axolotl strives for. We are compensated from the time we start the report until we finish that report or send to QA for blanks. So, if we spend 5 minutes researching a drug or term, no clock is stopped - we are paid for that time. We were never told how long the time period would be that we are compensated at that hourly rate. We have also been told by management that even though we are scheduled for 8 hours, we really only work 7, because we take a lunch break and two 15-minute breaks. No one has ever been told they cannot take a break, at least not that I've heard. When I was being paid by the line, it still worked out to a minimum of 1200 lines/day, 172 lines/hr (for a 7-hour work day). So every 2 weeks, that would be 70 hours worked.

Similar Messages:

Thanks Everybody- Threat Of Losing Money
Mar 31, 2010

Can't say I am surprised that QA submissions are down- did they think we wanted to work for 1 penny a line- oh wait with my raise it is 1 penny and 2/100 of a cent! ...

Losing Money Fast
Feb 03, 2014

Is anyone else working hard and seeing a steady decline in lines/pay?   I totally despise nuance! ...

Axolotl MTs, Something Isn't Right
Mar 10, 2010

I don't know what is going on and as usual the communication sucks, but I'm more than a little concerned.  ...

Has Anyone Gotten Their W2 From Axolotl Yet? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

s ...

Axolotl?
Feb 10, 2014

I know they were bought out a few years ago but I heard through the grapevine United Health was getting rid of the whole transcription department is being let go this year. So sorry for those who will be affected if its true.   ...

Axolotl Or Transtech
Oct 31, 2009

Could somebody give me some info on these two companies, i.e., pay, benefits, work flow steadiness, management, etc.?  Thank's in advance! ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

Does Anyone Know If Axolotl Is Hiring?
Sep 01, 2010

There were positive posts about them in the past.  Don't know where they advertise when they do hire.    ...

Anyone Left At Axolotl/UHG?
Nov 04, 2013

They had layoffs a few months back.  Wondering if the transcription dept. is completely gone now or not. ...

What's Up At Axolotl These Days?
Mar 03, 2014

What's up at Axolotl these days?  Are you guys still on the job? ...

Does Axolotl Have An Incentive Plan?
Jul 28, 2010

Hi--have seen mixed opinions about Axolotl from this board, especially lately. Considering switching from my current company as the M-Modal is awful and line count is suffering a lot because of it. What I'd like to know is: - Does Axolotl have an incentive plan based on lines produced? - Are full time employees required to work 40 hours a week and stick to a set-in-stone schedule, and are you required to work a weekend day? - Is there plenty of work to go around and i ...

How Are Things At Axolotl Since The Buyout? Nm
Nov 11, 2010

s ...

Axolotl - Anyone Know How This MTSO Is Doing Since The Buyout? (nm)
Jan 22, 2011

nm ...

United Health/Axolotl
Aug 06, 2011

Recently started with Axolotl (now part of United Health Group). I have 18 years experience and the account they put me on has to be THE WORST I have ever experienced, 99.9% horrible ESL's, on top of which their M*Modal platform is very, very slow. I have worked at other companies using M*Modal and did not find this to be the case with them. This account is VR and they pay by the hour because apparently the dictators and platform are so bad, an MT can't make any money by the line. Also ...

Got A Call From Axolotl Today About Interviewing
Sep 30, 2010

Got a call from Axolotl today about interviewing. Have heard good things in the past, but saw they were just acquired by another company. Any current employees with advice? Pay rates/platform? Is it straight MT or do they have VR also? Affordable benefits? Would appreciate any information. Comfortable(ish) at current job, would hate to leave and then have transcription phased out or pay cut. Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Axolotl, Formerly Ingenix And Now Optuminsight??
Oct 11, 2011

I am sorry to bring this up here, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who works for Optuminsight, or Axolotl is concerned about where the transcription portion of the company is going?  I have noticed the workload has diminshed significantly since the takeover.  There have been people who have been there for a significant amount of time retiring or quitting.  Even the Optuminsight website says nothing about transcription nor does United Health Group.  The letter to the c ...

Looking For Axolotl/OI Employee To Sign Petition.
Jan 28, 2013

An ex-Axolotl/Optum Insight employee was looking for 3 others to sign a petition for TAA.  I didn't sign at the time, but am now interested in signing.  I've checked January archives and I don't see the post.  Archives showing Jan-Mar and not prior. ...

Ex Axolotl/OptumInsight/Ingenix/UHG MTs Please Read
Jul 10, 2013

2 MTs are filing a TAA petition.  3 are needed to apply online ourselves.   It is just a petition, nothing against the employer and, if nothing comes of it, at least we stood up to let the federal government know we are losing our jobs to overseas and due to technology.  You would think we could get some help as IT people, auto industry, and many others do get assistance when their jobs are lost.   It would be an interesting statistic to see how many MTs in this country hav ...

Anyone A Little Worried And Frustrated With The Ingenix/Axolotl Merge?
Oct 06, 2010

I have been with this company for a while now and completely loved Ax before this merger happened.  I just wondered if anyone else was feeling really stressed out and out of sorts because of all of the changes taking place?  So many things are up in the air.  Too much stress.  ...

Is Axolotl/OptumInsight Still In Business? The Transcription Part.
Jan 01, 2013

X ...

Am I Losing It Regarding
Jun 22, 2011

did we or did we not get an email that we are suppose to start using the Keystrokes intranet on Monday 06/20/11?   If I am not losing it and we did get that email, has anybody been able to access it?  just curious  . . . . . . ...

Losing Our TLs
Sep 07, 2012

Does anybody have a clue what else is in store for us next week on conference call? ...

Losing Doc's To EMR, Help!
Nov 16, 2012

I have recently learned that I will be losing 3 of my best doctors to EMR.  Since then, one of the doctors has offered to keep me on entering the clinic notes into the EMR for him.  I would still be working from home as an IC, but would need some training on their EMR system.  Any suggestions as to what I would charge for this?  I currenlty bill by cpl.  Would I now be better off to bill by the hour?  I really have no idea how to approach this.  I have never do ...

Losing My Job....
Jul 09, 2013

I am seething with anger right now.  I am losing my job of five years by the end of the week, not because of lack of work, not because my work is not up to par, but because the doctor I work for has just been brought up on charges of insurance fraud and perjury.  I have been working for an orthopedic surgeon as a medical claims reviewer who strictly does Independent Medical Examinations.  There are six girls in one office and six girls in another office in a different location.&n ...

MQ Losing Some Accounts?
Jun 11, 2011

Since the work is disappearing, and not even in status, how would we check to see of MQ lost some accounts?   ...

Losing My Touch
Aug 07, 2012

I hope it is okay.  I just need to vent a little.  I just got a new job with a very reputable company ( I prefer not to say which one) and yesterday was my first day.  I knew I would be on 100% QA.  I found out yesterday that I am only allowed to type 3 reports a day until I am off QA.  I am so upset.  I understand they have to make sure I am typing things accurately and according to format but 3 reports a day ?  Then later this afternoon I heard from the big b ...

Am I Losing My Hearing
Jun 17, 2013

I invested in a "good" or what I thought was a "good" pair of headphones a while back.  However, lately I have been struggling with dictators.  It seems like more and more of them have mumbling, stumbling speech making it EXTREMELY difficult to interpret.  In a "perfect" world, our job would be soooo much easier and not having to struggle with them mumbling, whispering, holding conversations (or at least attempting to) while dictating, and on and on. Oh well, at least I have a j ...

LOSING AN ACCOUNT
Nov 19, 2013

WHAT?  I was told that I had sent a report through with no ADT and had been " warned" of this before? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I know nothing of this and now have lost my account.  They are truly trying to get rid of me.  this company!!!! ...

I'm Losing My Mind Or What's Left Of It!
Oct 16, 2009

I can't take it anymore.  Three weeks with more jobs than we could handle and now...... only weekend work with the worst dictators I've ever heard.  I DO mean the WORST dictators I've ever heard!  I have actually made up NEW cuss words today.. strung together in a most creative way.  You wouldn't even believe it.  I MUST get off my dead butt and find a real job or go totally insane.. OH... the drama~!  But.. really..  $%^*((*&%^**.. I co ...

FMLA - Losing Your Shift.
Jan 19, 2010

I understand you will have a job to come back to, but what if they tell you that your shift was given to someone else and offer you crapola?  Had a 12 hour window and I sure don't want to lose it.  Anyone else had this come up?   ...