Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Please do not apply if.... - Wizened MT

Posted: Nov 15th, 2018 - 2:24 pm

I subcontract at a small service where our boss, bless her, tries not to over-hire so that we all have plenty of work to do, but occasionally she gets some new docs and we need to take on another MT or two to help us keep in TAT.

Lately though she's had this run of MT applicants who claim to have 20 years experience and then turn out not to know even basic anatomy or basic transcription guidelines.  These are not foreign MTs either!  Of course as soon as they start to type it becomes apparent that they don't know the first thing about MT-ing let alone the medical specialties that we work for, and this really sets us back and creates problems for everybody -- not to mention, these MTs are fired pretty quickly and my boss has to take more valuable time and effort to try to find someone else, while the rest of us have to struggle to keep it all going while someone else gets hired and trained on the software.

Why oh why would anyone lie on an application for a job listing that CLEARLY spells out the level of experience needed?  Who is telling people to do this?  These people aren't simply newbies - we all were once, and there are jobs suitable for gaining experience in that way - but they seem to be people who just want to work at home and feel like they'll give it a go, and just totally make up an MT work history.  I just want to make it clear to folks out there that transcribing for neurosurgeons and cardiologists and general surgeons IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN PRETEND TO KNOW HOW TO DO.

To my mind it's on the level of posting a fake glamour queen photo on a dating site and then eagerly going to meet your first date when you KNOW you don't look anything like that pic.  How crazy is that??  How do you expect it turn out?

I've had LOTS of different jobs over the years but I always tried to stay realistic and honest about what I knew I could do and what I had not yet done, and apply for jobs that matched my skill level.  I know things are desperate out there (I lost my home along with the best of them over the past decade, so believe me, I KNOW how badly a person can need a job) , but please, STOP IT. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)