Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Poorly qualified MTs - Cheryl

Posted: Nov 27th, 2018 - 2:01 am In Reply to: Please do not apply if . . . . - Maryhaw

I think many of the poorly qualified MTs with 20-plus years of experience aren't exactly lying; they don't know they do a bad job. They've simply been typing things like alot, regiment (rather than regimen), and placing a comma every fifth word whether one is needed for years without any oversight. If the author dictates the blood pressure as 80/120, they'll type it. They don't flag left-right discrepancies, and they fall apart if there is even a trace of a foreign accent. Some of these MTs skip all the "hard" reports, and what they consider hard is a joke -- like anything with a surgical instrument in it, anybody with a foreign accent, and anything where you have to look up an address. The toothpaste has already been let out of the tube, but I always thought mandatory certification and mandatory licensing would discourage all of these pretend transcriptonists. Right now the prevailing editing rate is around 4 cents a line. The QAs have to scrutinize these reports, often retraining MTs. If a service had all highly skilled MTs, QA would only be needed for listening to blanks and asking questions. I'm always suspicious of MTs who state the disciplines they'll transcribe, i.e., "I'm a cardiology and neurology transcriptionist." I've always floated and want to do it all. If you're worth your salt as a transcriptionist, you can pretty much edit or type anything. What is frustrating is my expertise looks the same on a resume as the person who worked for years doing a crappy job.

I think QAs are sometimes snippy because they're used to MTs who don't know what they're doing. I transcribe, edit, and do QA. I try very hard to send nice QA comments. I had one where the MT typed there instead of their. I honestly didn't know if this was a typo or if the MT didn't know the difference. I erred on the side of caution and sent her a paragraph explaining the difference. I even put in a sentence that said it may have just been a typo, but I was pointing it out in case it wasn't a typo. She shot back almost immediately with a two-paragraph diatribe on how condescending and insulting I was. Mind you, this was an FYI thing. I didn't deduct any points. And yes, I get in hot water by the facility all the time for not deducting more points because they want to rank the MTs on a purposeless demeaning chart. I love doing QA itself, but being sandwiched in between overbearing managers and highly defensive MTs is no fun.

I love doing MT, and it's no fun when the people around you don't seem to love doing the work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)