Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Soft Script.. (Views: 48)

Sad part is - sm

Posted: Nov 15th, 2018 - 4:23 pm In Reply to: Please do not apply if.... - Wizened MT

In 20 years of doing MT, can't even tell you how many times someone has said they think they'd be good at it with no MT experience and not even any medical background. When I was a contractor, I sometimes sat them down with a sample audio file, and every single time they said they had no idea how hard it would be.

Why I think that's sad is that it's the same misperception that contributes to our not being paid what we're worth. People just think it sounds easy and fun to work at home. There is really no concept at all of what it actually takes to do the job.

So yeah, I think people probably do think they'll get away with it. They have no idea. I didn't realize people were doing this to get hired, but I bet that's what it is.

To them, it's like posting a picture of yourself on a dating web site from 5 years and 20 pounds ago. They're thinking they'll lose the 20 pounds and they don't look that different, and even if they do, they can probably slide by, right?? To us, it's like the whole beauty queen thing.

As a funny side note, I once got so tired of my husband rolling his eyes when I discussed something challenging from my day, I sat him down and said, you think it's so easy, you do it. College grad, mid level management, detail oriented.

After an hour, he had proudly managed half a simple family medicine note. Great audio, clear dictator. Doesn't get any easier than that. He started getting frustrated sometime around social history. He did no formatting, of course. Didn't even know he needed to. He got to the physical exam and could not get past something he kept hearing wrong. An hour!! When I told him that would have taken me 2 minutes, and told him what he was hearing, he said, that crap is hard, forget it.

Ha ha!

And no HIPAA issues were violated in the making of these experiments, no worries.

Your boss is probably going to have test new candidates, though, because that mindset is pretty common.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)