Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Pep Talk - Out of MT

Posted: Feb 24th, 2016 - 5:12 pm

I finally got out of MT, so here's a little pep talk if you're feeling stuck in MT and are having a hard time getting motivated to get out. There is only one way to get out, and that is to work very hard at it. It won't fly (unless you're extremely lucky), if you just now and then throw out a resume or fill out an application.

If you are young (or heck, old) and have the money and wherewithal, go to school to learn a trade, or earn a credential or degree, then apply to jobs that you have your credential/degree or training in and be aggressive about it.

If you don't mind just any old job (like I did), you still must be aggressive. By that I mean really, really work at it. Locally pound the pavement cold and fill out applications anywhere you think you might be a good fit--and also check your local newspaper's classifieds every day, every day, and only apply as they instruct---fax only, e-mail only, in person only between xxx hours, etc. Read the ads carefully---many office jobs require "modern day" software. That is, Excel, QuickBooks, etc. If you are running into this in a big way, take some classes in the software experience requirements you are seeing most frequently, then try to work with it on your own computer in your spare time so you become very familiar. Heck, start using it for your own household management.

It is NOT easy. But, working at it is the only way it will work. Honestly, I sat in my stuff feeling sorry for myself, doing nothing to get out. A lot of what if's, fears, etc., were overtaking me, but once I took charge I felt a lot better. Put as much energy into getting out as you do feeling badly about being "stuck" in MT.

I do understand that not everyone is able to get out---perhaps a disability, perhaps young children and nobody to watch them, perhaps out in the boonies. Working at home is an ideal way to handle all that, but do be careful with work-at-home scams. There are some companies who weed out the scams for you, but there is a small fee. I won't mention their name, because I did that a couple of times, and got accused of working for them, etc., so do your own research.

And good luck! Go for it. It may take a week, it may take 2 years. But look at it this way: Two years ago, you could have had a new job by now if you had started then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
  • Pep Talk - Out of MT (Views: 828, 2016-02-24, 5:12 pm)
    • Preach! - anon (Views: 494, 2016-02-25, 12:22 am)