Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Forgot to answer - How long it took

Posted: Aug 10th, 2015 - 12:11 pm In Reply to: I Kept Answering Local Ads - see msg

That's kind of a hard question. It actually took a couple of years, with slacking off periods in between. Someone saw my resume and didn't need anyone at the time, so he handed it to someone he knew. That particular job did not work out, but I kept at the job hunt. I had a few jobs since then that I quit (I'm being particular in my old age), but one finally "stuck," and I wouldn't quit it for the world.

Your "hit" could come any day. It could come tomorrow, or it could come 2 years from now, but I can tell you that the mere act of sending out those resumes made me feel much better about doing the MT---I no longer felt trapped. It gave me hope.

Again, nothing will fall in your lap (well, maybe it will, but don't wait for it). You have to go, go, go for it. Be proactive. Make phone calls to local shops to see if they're looking for any type of help. If you love animals, call your local vet groomers or vet doctors to see if they need help. Just go for it!

If you're young and have a lot of time before retirement, consider getting a college degree in something you know will make you marketable.

Anyone (young or old) would likely benefit from taking classes in Excel, QuickBooks, etc. I did notice a lot of job ads where those were required, and I had to skip over those. Most communities have affordable classes at the local community or cultural center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)