Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

The money of course, working conditions, potential for raises and promotions - Dont need to be on a pedestal

Posted: Jul 19th, 2015 - 11:30 am In Reply to: To all the new coders - Outsider

The thing about coders being on a pedestal was started by someone who hates coders and comes by every few weeks to remind us that coders are all losers who think we are all on pedestals.

The reason many, if not most, medical coders love their jobs is very simple. Medical coders are treated with respect, paid well, given comfortable working conditions, not insulted or berated when they make mistakes, excellent opportunities for raises, promotions, additional credentials which lead to even better jobs. We don't need pedestals.

Medical coders tend to work hard to accomplish credentials that set them apart from people who don't have those credentials, the most important ones being outpatient and inpatient, CPC and CCS, and going on from there if they want to specialize. I've known people to get into some of these higher-paid roles very quickly after they get their credentials, probably an average of a couple of years.

The working conditions are great. The money is excellent. We are respected by our peers and our employers. That takes nothing away from people in other careers who also make good money, have good working conditions, and are respected by their peers and employers. A person who isn't respected in another career, isn't making good money, and doesn't have good working conditions can make up for the cost of training in less than a year, using MT as an example. I hope that answered your question. I'll stop here, but have more advantages that I could list as well, including the ability to do remote coding if you want. I have seen people who did very short-term, perfunctory training in coding and didn't like it. You do have to do it well to be able to enjoy it, and that training takes time and effort. Without it, you will hate what you perceive to be what coding is all about. Also, coding is not for everyone. It's hard work; enjoyable and rewarding, but you have to train for it correctly or you will fail at it, and you'll hate it. I personally love it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)