A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

paraaortic versus periaortic lymph nodes in cancer treatment - starstruck

Posted: Oct 21, 2009

This patient has prostate cancer, but somehow or other the paraaortic lymph nodes or periaortic lymph nodes are involved.  I have googled and found both spellings, but for the life of me I can't figure out which is correct.  "This showed a 1.6-cm retroperitoneal lymph node in the low pelvis anterior to the inferior vena cava suspicious for metastatic disease." There are so many lymph nodes in the body.  Even looking at an anatomy diagram, I can't figure this out. Help!! Why didn't God design us all with zippers and fewer parts?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

periaortic - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
: of, relating to, occurring in, or being the tissues surrounding the aorta

From Dictionary.com

periaortic and paraaortic - starstruck

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the definition, and I'm thinking that "peri" means in closer proximity than "para"--like "pericardium" as opposed to "paraspinal." My problem is that I just don't have the experience to know if these lymph nodes are right next to the aorta or are close to the aorta, if that makes any sense. Hmm.

peri- and para- - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
"peri-" means around, enclosing.
"para-" means alongside, beside.

Hence,
pericardium: tissue enclosing the heart.
paraspinal muscles: muscles next to the spine.

In the case of these lymph nodes, paraaortic is correct. Otherwise, the lymph nodes would actually be surrounding and enclosing the aorta, which is no good for anyone. :)

paraaortic lymph nodes (see pics) sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]

trying to post a couple of pics for you to see the paraaortic lymph nodes (not peri-). 

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/4187282

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/719269

fyi, there are also preaortic and paracaval lymph nodes, etc.

it was a good question!Smile

Similar Messages:

S/l Acc Lymph Nodes
Nov 15, 2011

Can't find this abbrevation, but the dictator sounds like he is saying "shotty ACC lymph nodes." ...

Lymph Nodes
Jan 11, 2012

Medical term for small, pebbly-feeling lymph nodes?   ...

Dauphin Lymph Nodes
Dec 20, 2009

doc dictates dauphin lymph nodes (in the neck) and spells it but can't find reference to it anywhere on the net. ...

Are There Level XV Lymph Nodes?
Aug 17, 2010

:) ...

Lymph Nodes Description
Feb 17, 2012

mediastinoscopy with dissection of level 4 right and left nodes. Doc says what s/l 'antithotic' and enlarged lymph nodes. These lymph nodes were hard and suspicious for metastatic disease. I cannot figure this out PLEASE HELP ...

Shotty Or Shoddy Lymph Nodes
Oct 29, 2009

Is it shotty or shoddy lymph nodes? ...

Surgery For Excision Of Axillary Lymph Nodes
Jun 27, 2013

s/l Lower extremity "venadines" were placed? ...

Lymph Nodes Were Submitted For Surgial Pathology As Per The S/l Slide Key Description. TIA Nm
Dec 27, 2009

xx ...

Metastatic Disease In Level "5A Or VA" Lymph Nodes.
Aug 22, 2011

:) ...

"mannin" Lymph Nodes?
Dec 03, 2013

Breast examination: Left axilla with no s/l MANNIN lymph nodes.  TiA ...

Medication Help Breast Cancer Treatment
Nov 04, 2009

patient with lumpectomy then double mastectomy. Medication s/l ven-mo-fax-ine or fem-mo-fax-ine HCL 25 mg q.i.d. times several months. She will be on this for 5 years total. Cannot find or figure. Googled "HCL 25 mg breast cancer" but didn't find anything too close. ...

Cancer Treatment S/l Florimbucil And Prednisone
Nov 20, 2009

thanks so much ...

Colon Cancer - Diloda Treatment?
Apr 14, 2010

Sounds like Diloda treatment for colon cancer.  Anything?   TIA! ...

Prostate Cancer Treatment...please See Message
Mar 02, 2011

He will receive a single dose of radiation to this hip and then he will receive either ipilimumab versus placebo and s/l alba-immunotherapy.  TIA ...

Patient With Colon Cancer Receiving Treatment.
Feb 27, 2010

new dictator for me, very rapid ESL. Dictates that patient will be premedicated with s/l "Loft C" Thanks for any help.  I will probably be asking for more help as I go through this very difficult assignment. ...

Beware: Cancer Treatment Center - Tulsa
Jul 27, 2010

It should have been a red flag when the S/O stated that this client could not find reliable help, that every kept quitting or just not signing on to work when they were supposed to.  They use SR software which has been loaded bugs and developed without the input of MTs (big mistake).   I had spent days on tech support lines (unpaid) for problems even the techs could not figure out. Their manuals for the software were for previous versions.  They require hardware that cost me ...

Cancer Treatment Centers Of America - Tulsa
Dec 01, 2011

The transcription service company that had this account was great, doctors great, but the client has two problem employees that run the show and can make life pretty miserable.  They want you to go by the AAMT BOS, but have hundreds of exceptions, which they do not inform you about.  Each time you go by the BOS but it doesn't make them happy, they rant in emails with exclamation marks about how you have been told hundreds of times before, when you never have be ...

In A Cancer Report, The Doctor Gave A Diagnosis Of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 Cancer
Jun 14, 2013

In a cancer report, the doctor gave a diagnosis of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 cancer.  Then she later said, He was staged as a pathological T4aN2a.  She added the a and dropped the M0.   I listened very carefully for the diagnosis and later in the problem list.  She does not add the a after the N2 in either place.    Does anyone know why it is N2a in one place but just N2 in the DX?  ...

Ac Nodes?
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks. ...

Nodes??
Nov 10, 2010

TOGA nodes or maybe toganodes?? Pertaining to the nose and acute sinuitis.  It sounds like he says, "Nose:  Toganodes (or TOGA nodes) are red and swollen."  But I can't figure out if that is right or not. Any suggestions?? ...

S/L Klokay's Nodes, See More
Oct 22, 2009

Extrmities:  Normal, except for some Klokay's nodes in her distal interphalangeal joints from osteoarthritis.  ...

Mental Nodes?
Jan 01, 2010

Patient has toothache.  On physical exam, HEENT - maxillary region has swelling and tenderness, no erythema noted, sl "no mental nodes."  Please help. ...

What Type Of Nodes?
Sep 21, 2010

What is the doctor saying?  It sounds like "Roger's (??) nodes were excised sharply and submitted as a separate specimen."  I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing makes sense.  Thanks! ...

Lymph Node
Aug 09, 2010

Hi, I am needing help with what the doctor s/l he is saying "ice" lymph node.  This is a node in the neck.    ...

Heberden's And S/l (klokay's) Nodes?
Nov 04, 2009

s/l clokaze or klokayz nodes ...

Lymph-a-serian Blue??
Mar 12, 2011

Has anybody heard of this or know the correct spelling?  It's in relation to a breast biopsy with needle localization.   Thanks! ...

Perificial Lymph Node?
May 15, 2015

Abdominal and Chest CT showed an elongated s/l "perificial" lymph node in the lung. ...

Central Lymph Node Biopsy
Aug 09, 2010

After some dissection, the single blue lymphatic was noted to entering a blue lymph node. This lymph node was then clipped and ligated and removed from the CL s/l pectoris. ...

Gleason 4+5=9 With 1 Out Of 1 Cores Containing Cancer "linked" Of Cancer Was 0.35 Cm
Jun 30, 2010

Gleason score 4 + 5 = 9 involving 35% of the specimen, 1 out of 1 cores contained cancer, linx of cancer was 0.35 cm.  She says the linked or linx twice in the document.  ?? ...

Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy S/l Sennorex
Jul 15, 2014

Patient is having a sentinel lymph node biopsy. Lymph node count is 200 on s/l "Sennorex." Could be SentorX. I don't know. Anybody? ...