A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Re- words? To hyphen or not to hyphen? - Teresa

Posted: Oct 25, 2010

Some "re" words seem to be pretty well used, such as "readmission" not "re-admission" or "replaced" not "re-placed" but how do you tell when to add the hyphen? I've come across "reexploration" and it doesn't seem right without the hyphen, but I can't find any references that support it either with the hyphen or without.

this is what I have been taught - orthogirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever you have two of the same letter, like re-exploration you always use the hyphen, otherwise, the hyphen is not necessary.

no hyphen - .

[ In Reply To ..]
All prefixes are meant to be affixed to the word:
Reexplore, reexamine, reestablish, reentry. None of these requires the hyphen, but it would not be wrong to use the hyphen, either.

Use hyphens when the meaning becomes unclear.

For example, when the doc says the patient is going to
"re-present" next week, I always use the hyphen lest it be read as "represent".`

Agree, but... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Words like re-place and replace are different. You can re-place a book back on its shelf. BUT, you can replace the book with another book. There are a few words like that, so that's how I decide those.

per BOS-3 - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
6.5.8 Prefixes and Suffixes

Do not use a hyphen after common prefixes except when they precede a proper noun, a capitalized word, or an abbreviation: ante-, anti-, bi-, co-, contra-, counter-, de-, extra-, infra-, intra-, micro-, mid-, non-, over-, peri-, pre-, post-, pro-, pseudo-, re-, semi-, sub-, super-, supra-, trans-, tri-, ultra-, un-, and under-.

EXAMPLE

antimicrobial
posttraumatic
overproduction
comorbidity
preoperative
perimenopausal

Use a hyphen after a prefix when the unhyphenated word would have a different meaning.

EXAMPLE

re-creation, recreation
re-treat, retreat
un-ionized, unionized

Use a hyphen after a prefix or before a suffix to avoid an unusual or awkward combination of letters, as in repetitive vowels or three of the same consonants sequentially.

EXAMPLE

anti-inflammatory
bell-like
de-emphasize

Note: Be careful to check a reputable dictionary or resource when using words like those above. Again, as language evolves, many of these words drop their hyphenation. A number of industry resources already cite antiinflammatory without hyphenation, though the hyphenated form is still acceptable.

Similar Messages:

Non-ossified To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 21, 2010

Is non-ossified hyphenated? ...

To Hyphen Or?
Oct 21, 2009

The sentence is " Two and a half years ago she had knee replacement." Should the two and a half be hyphenated? I never know how to write that. Or, should I rearrange the sentence to " She has knee replacement 2.5 years ago." ...

Hyphen?
Dec 02, 2010

three-days post or three days post???? ...

Hyphen Help!
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry don't see a grammar board to post this on at the moment, so posting here. How would you transcribe the bolded phrase? "She does have a small central tear which, again, is likely from an acute on chronic-type/acute-on-chronic-type? injury from work."  Thanks in advance!! ...

Hyphen Help Please....
Dec 19, 2011

What is the proper way to hypenate non-weight-bearing? I have found it several ways, just started working for a new company and their dictionary spell check has no hypens at all in it...I sooooo hate hyphens. Thanks in advance for the imput :) ...

Hyphen Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is cancer-free.  The patient is cancer free.  The patient is pain-free.  The patient is pain free.  ???? ...

Hyphen Woes...
Jan 21, 2010

Is it well-healed incision or well healed incision? Is it right hand dominant or right-hand dominant? how do i know when to put in a hyphen? i never used to use many hyphens, and all of a sudden QA has started noticing!! ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

S/l Hyphen Budding?
Feb 15, 2010

Patient with a rash.... sounds like "KOH exam shows positive hyphen budding" does that sound right? thanks for any help! ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...

Hyphen Question..
Dec 23, 2010

straight-leg raise power, or straight-leg-raise power? any help appreciated ...

Hyphen? 2-3-mm Calculus?
Mar 26, 2011

If using AAMT Second ed,  how would you hyphenate  2-3 mm calculus?  Thanks ...

AutoCorrect Hyphen
Mar 24, 2011

How do I create a hyphen for my age macro in AutoCorrect. I need to have a macro formatted as -year-old. I have Word 2007. Thank you so much! ...

Color Changing Changes - Hyphen?
Feb 10, 2010

she had extreme tenderness on her foot with erythematous color changing changes... I have never used two variations of a word together like this and it is confusing me.  ...

One Word, Hyphen, Or Space?
Jul 02, 2010

Diagnosed with tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty..... Is post angioplasty correct or should it be one word????  I have also found it with a hyphen so any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Hyphen In Postop? (BOS Says Abbreviations)
Nov 29, 2010

Should we put a hyphen in preop and/or postop? My spellchecker says it is OK without, but it is hard to read w/o one IMO. BOS says to use a hyphen when joining a prefix to an abbreviation, so would this count as an abbreviation in this case? Or is it more like a shortened form of the word? ...

Hyphen With Right Angle Clamp
Jan 25, 2012

Hello!  Having some hyphen trouble.    Here is the sentence:  ... and the pedicle of the ovary and tube were cross clamped with right-angles.  Does right angles need a hyphen.  I know if it is "a right-angle clamp," then it needs a hyphen, but what about if it comes later like the sentence before.  Is it "clamped with right angles" or "clamped with right-angles?"  Is this capitalized?  I did not think so! Also, is it supposed to have an "s" on i ...

Common Hyphen Error
Nov 03, 2012

I used to teach grammar and I now do MT work.  One of the most common hyphen errors lies in the short arm cast, long arm cast. This does not get hyphenated.  By hyphenating it (short-arm cast), one is actually stating there's also a long arm.  It's a short (or long) cast that is worn on the arm, not a cast for a short arm or a long arm.   ...

Hyphen In End Stage Renal Disease?
Oct 29, 2010

I always have a hard time remembering whether there is a hyphen between "end" and "stage" in end stage renal disease.  Anyone? ...

Hyphen - Moderate-to-severe Trabeculation
Oct 27, 2011

Which way should moderate to severe by typed in this context? 1.  moderate to severe trabeculation 2.  moderate-to-severe trabeculation I was just dinged by QA (would prefer not to say which one yet), and really need to know.  Also, I was always advised when typing a CBC, either all items should be expanded to thousands or none.   It must be consistent.   Is this also true? Thanks for the consult! ...

Drawer Tests - Hyphen, Slash, Or AND?
Jan 10, 2012

Looking for the ADHI / book of style / transcription rules regarding drawer tests.  I have found loads of posts on this subject, but they contradict each other.  Does anyone know the "true" accepted format when discussing anterior and posterior drawer tests? is it: anterior-posterior drawer anterior/posterior drawer anterior and posterior drawer   Along these same lines, is there a generally accepted format for varus-valgus stress testing?  hyphen, slash, or and?   ...

HYPHEN - Appearing Ovarian Cyst
Aug 22, 2012

Is simple appearing ovarian cyst hyphenated after the word simple?  ...

Hyphen - Mild-to-moderate Hearing Loss
Mar 31, 2010

Is mild-to-moderate hearing loss correct or should it be mild to moderate without the hyphens? ...

Hyphen Or No? Radicular-like Symptoms, Soreness-like Pain
Jan 04, 2011

x ...

Medial Femoral Tibial With Slash Or Hyphen?
Jul 23, 2012

Dr. says:  Mild medial femoral tibial articular cartilage thinning. Should it be femoral-tibial, or femoral/tibial, or femoral tibial? ...

Shorthand - Not To Leave A Space After A Hyphen When Typing An Expansion?
May 12, 2011

Hi all.  I would like to know what the best way is to not leave a space after a hyphen when typing an expansion, such as 2-centimeter, etc.  I know the formula to make it backspace once, such as with my expansion for -year-old, but thought there might be a better way for this one that I'm not thinking of?  Like a way that would work with any hyphen-word combo? Thanks!   ...

Hyphen - Close To Near Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear
May 11, 2012

Plz help me with this sentence regarding the hyphen usage.   close to near full thickness rotator cuff tear     Thnx in advance for the help,   Syd ...

Hyphen Dictated:  the Wound Care Required Every Other Week Visits
Sep 04, 2013

dictated:  the wound care required every other week visits. Would it be as typed above?  Or stick some hyphens in there for every-other-week visits. This is a narrative report and I have to do it verbatim, cannot reword it. Thanks for any input. ...

Hyphen - "He Is Ortolani And Barlow Negative."
Jun 26, 2010

Would this be hyphenated or not? Any rules per BOS for this? TIA. "He is Ortolani and Barlow negative." "He is Ortolani- and Barlow-negative." ...

Hyphen With Any Word Preceding "appearing"
Aug 24, 2010

Can anyone ACCURATELY and CORRECTLY answer this question? With any word preceding "appearing", do we always hyphenate, i.e. normal-appearing? Thanks for your reply.     ...