A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wireless keyboards for work - thoughts? - New Mom MT

Posted: Nov 21, 2010

I just got a wireless mouse as a gift and absolutely love it, however it does use batteries and I'm unsure how often I'll have to replace them due to being on the computer for long hours working.  I would love to get a wireless keyboard as well (two less cords to trip over, lol), and am would appreciate input from other MTs who have used them.  Are they just as responsive as wired keyboards, have long battery life, etc.?  Some of them are a tad expensive, so I'm unsure which kind would be best.  Thanks in advance!Laughing

wireless:) sm - clsd

[ In Reply To ..]
Have used both for years. Got a MS comfort keyboard and mouse probably....5 years ago? I have no clue how often I have to replace batteries, so they must last a long time:) Maybe once or twice a year is all. Love them.

My batteries have never lasted that long, but I - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
use my mouse 10-12 hours a day. My daughter does have a wireless mouse that has an on/off switch, so in 6 months she has never had to put in a new battery.

I used a wireless keyboard and liked it in the - s,k

[ In Reply To ..]
beginning, however, it did not last a long time. As for the battery problem, use rechargable batteries. That is what I use for my wireless mouse. They last 2 to 3 weeks, and if I know I am not going to be using it for a day or so, I just go ahead and recharge them and also have a charged pair waiting.

My keyboard batteries last much longer than mouse - love both, would never go back

[ In Reply To ..]
In the six years I have had my wireless keyboard, I have changed the batteries twice, maybe three times.

The mouse, on the other hand, I have to replug that guy about every two or three months.

I love my wireless though, would never go back. I have enough wires and cords in and around my desk, plus the ability to use either device anywhere within range of the hub .. a range of a several dozen feet in any direction .. is a big plus for me.

Rechargeable batteries though... gonna get me some. Thanks for that tip, replier!

(both devices are Logitech - my brand of choice for PC accessories)

Wireless keyboards - Jazz

[ In Reply To ..]
I have used one for @ 3 years...works fine and your computer will let you know when the batteries are running low...which takes a long time, as I too type 8+ hours and usually it is once a year or more. One problem...some platforms will not accept the wireless...you'll know by missed keystrokes. I use SoftMed and do not encounter the problem.

Wireless keyboad and mouse - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have used both a wireless keyboard and mouse for over 5 years. No problem at all with batterise, maybe once a year at the very most twice and I am on it 8 or more hours a day. Now if I could just find a lightweight wireless headset, I'd be all set.

Similar Messages:

Old Keyboards
Dec 12, 2009

Does anyone know of an adapter that can be used on the old IBM "clacky" keyboards to convert it to a USB connection?  I know there are adapters out there but I can't find one for these keyboards.  The "end piece" is large round and the regular keyboards have the smaller round connection.  you can get adapters for them but I can't find one with the bigger adapter hole and then the USB connector.  I would LOVE LOVE to find an adapter so I can use the old IBM keyboard. ...

Dell Keyboards
Oct 12, 2009

Is it true that the letters on the Dell keyboards never wear off? ...

Question On Keyboards
Jan 15, 2011

I presently have a keyboard that is USB, and the insert, delete, home, end, page up and page down are in groups of 2 keys top and bottom, 3 across. When I purchased my new HP computer, I noticed the keyboard that came with it was a USB, but the now the insert key is up with the pause/break key in the same line as the hot keys (F) and the home, delete, end, page up, page down are now 2 columns of 3 top and bottom. The delete key takes up two space keys. I have been using the former one for all m ...

Logitech Keyboards
Mar 24, 2011

I recently started having some issues with my Logitech wireless keyboard where it was getting harder to press down on the keys.  I recently moved and when I got everything set up I noticed that the touch seemed to be different.  Shook the keyboard out, took a damp cloth and wiped the keyboard down, etc and still seems to be "different."  I called Logitech this morning and explained what was going on and they are replacing the keyboard free of charge and apparently, you do not have ...

Gloves And Keyboards
Sep 21, 2011

I have a two-fold question here.  Has anyone tried the arthritis gloves from transcripotion gear that are designed to keep your hands warm in the winter (sorry to say that awful word but it is coming), and the stiffness when I am cold is very hard to take in terms of speed and loosening up.  Second fold, has anyone tried the mechanical keyboards?  The ones that area not the "soft touch" and actually make a clicking sound?  The only ones I am finding are ones for "gamers" ...

Ergonomic Keyboards
Jan 28, 2012

I have been a transcriptionist for quite some time and have used the Microsoft Elite Ergonomic Keyboard and have tried two new replacements but for some reason with the newer version of this brand the keys are really hard to touch.  Has anyone used a split keyboard such as the Kinesis or Gold Touch?  I am looking at spending more on something that is of better quality and soft touch on the keys due to shoulder problems.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!  ...

Looking For One Of Those Clickety-click Keyboards (sm)
Jun 09, 2010

I really like the old style keyboards with the metal contacts and springs, rather than the soft touch keyboards with silicon contacts and rubber (but with a USB plug). I've looked at Office Depot, Staples and Best Buy - no one has them.  Anybody else like those? and do you have any suggestions on where they can be found?   ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

Ergonomic Keyboards And Speed
Aug 25, 2011

I'm switching up my office stuff and i'm thinking about getting an ergonomic keyboard. I have been typing on a laptop and every once in a while my hands cramp up. I was just wondering if anyone had a learning curve with the ergo keyboard and if it slowed down their production at all. Thanks! :) ...

Gaming Keyboards/keypads Question
May 05, 2011

I was looking for gaming keyboards, since quite a few people are saying how much better they are for doing SR.  All of the ones I've seen have a standard layout, but I use an ergo board.  Has anyone just added a gaming keypad to their current setup, and does it have enough programmable command keys to make it worthwhile?  They sell for about half the price of the gaming keyboard. ...

Carpal Tunnel & Ergo Keyboards
Nov 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the Kinesis contoured, Kinesis Freestyle, Goldtouch, or SafeType keyboards. I am using a Microsoft ergo split keyboard now, but I am having more and more pain and numb/weird feelings in my arms and hands. It's getting to the point where I am having a lot of difficulty typing. I definitely need to invest in a more high-end ergo keyboard, but they are quite expensive and I am not sure which one would be best. Just looking for any experiences and pro ...

Anyone Used Trackball Or Touch Pad Keyboards For Editing?
May 17, 2014

I'm so sick of having my right hand have to bounce back and forth from trackball to home keys, and arrow keys back to home keys it is much slower than transcription.  I also lose time having to constantly stop and feel for the home key position.  I did a search for keyboards and found two that have the trackball or touch pad in the middle lower portion of the keyboard so you can do what used to be mouse work with your thumbs and it looks like your fingers don't have to leave ...

Wireless Headset
Sep 11, 2010

Anyone use wireless headset, if so what type? Thanks! ...

Does Anyone Use Clear Wireless?
Dec 09, 2010

It seems very fast and I believe it has a DSL cable. Has anyone used this? I am so tired of TWC, too expensive for what you get. ...

Wireless Headphones
Sep 04, 2011

Does anyone have or know of where to get wireless headphones.  My cat has chewed through the wires of 3 sets of headphones (at $18 each its getting expensive).  After the first 2 sets I have been putting them in a drawer when not in use, but the cord sticks out of the drawer attached to the computer and she found her way around the box while I was watching TV and now my third set is gone.  Within seconds she chews right through the cord.  So, since there are wireless keyboard ...

Using Clear Wireless Vs Dsl
Oct 12, 2011

I have been tempted to switch to Clear Wireless after seeing how fast it works on my daughter's computer. Does anyone have any experience using it for IC work with trascription? ...

Wireless Mouse
Dec 01, 2011

I am just wondering if any of you are using a wireless mouse and how they are working for you?  I currently use a wired mouse and have for centuries.  Since I use mine more than most people, it seems, they do not last.  I am having difficulty finding wired mouse any longer due to being outdated.  I am hesitant in getting a wireless because wireless tends to slow me down with a second of lag.  Those seconds add up and I am just wondering how beneficial they are.  Any ...

M*Modal And Wireless
Mar 24, 2012

Just out of curiosity, has anyone worked for M*Modal using wireless (I have Verizon) with THEIR equipment?  I also have a Verizon air card, but would LOVE to cancel that payment if I could get everything on wireless. ...

Republic Wireless
Mar 23, 2014

I was looking into wireless service and came across a company called "Republic Wireless."  Does anyone use this?  If so, how do you like it?  Just curious.  Thanks! ...

Does Synernet Allow Wireless?
Sep 15, 2014

I'm getting fiber optic installed this week and I believe they said it would be a wireless router. Anybody know what this is? I'm so dumb about technical stuff. ...

Wireless Keyboard
Oct 26, 2014

Does anyone have a preference for a wireless keyboard? I'm looking for pros and cons. I bought a Logitech K360 but it's too compact for me. I need the bigger keys like my old keyboard. Is the wireless keyboard and mouse a better deal than just the keyboard? I already have a wireless mouse. Or would it be best to replace both? Thanks for your opinons. ...

Wireless Versus Satellite??
Nov 27, 2009

I currently have satellite (had dial-up before that) and I notice most companies want high speed internet and will not accept satellite.  What about wireless...anyone have an idea how widely this is used as far as MT work IF it it used at all?  Thanks. ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Wireless Headset?
Dec 07, 2009

Anyone know of a good wireless headset?  I am so tired of this stupid cord!!!  Thanks! ...

Please Help, Wireless Router Issue Sm
Jan 02, 2010

I have a wireless router that I hooked up when I had my old computer.  I have since bought a new computer and trying to set up my router with it and get all the through the set up process, except at the end it tells me "Let support know you are setting up a router, were asked to manually input your internet account info, but your ISP did not accept that info" Now I did call tech support (Belkin) and I had a really hard time understanding them.  I ended up just hanging up.  She h ...

Wireless Logitech Keyboard
Apr 11, 2010

Has anybody experienced Logitech S530 wireless keyboard wearing out after about 6 months of heavy use?  Mine is skipping spaces and letters. It is very frustrating.  I have ordered a new one, but wonder if this is the norm for them.  I have changed batteries 3 times in 6 months.  I really am having second thoughts about continuing with it. ...

Wireless Keyboard And Mouse?
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone else feel more comfortable with a wireless set up? What keyboard and mouse do you have? ...

Do Most Companies Not Allow Wireless Internet?
Jan 23, 2011

Would like to work for TT but not sure if they allow my internet connection.  Since I live in the boonies, I use Verizon Broadband, which is the card I plug into my laptop and it goes off the cell phone towers (it's just as fast as DSL).  Would most companies not allow me to use this internet connection? ...

Are There Any Companies Out There That Allow Wireless Internet?
Mar 17, 2011

nm ...

Work From Home On Wireless?
Oct 05, 2011

Can you work from home on wireless? Every company I have spoken with has told me no. ...

Switched Over To Verizon Wireless.
Jul 12, 2012

I have had HughesNet satellite for the last 2 years.  This has been extremely slow and lots of down time with weather.  So I was told that Verizon would be much better.  Now that it is installed, I am disappointed to see how slow this is.  My download time is so bad, I doubt any company would hire me or maybe they would, but with all the waiting for downloading of files, I could never get a good line count.   Supposedly Verizon says they are putting up more po ...