A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Carpal Tunnel & ergo keyboards - HurtingMT

Posted: Nov 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the Kinesis contoured, Kinesis Freestyle, Goldtouch, or SafeType keyboards.

I am using a Microsoft ergo split keyboard now, but I am having more and more pain and numb/weird feelings in my arms and hands. It's getting to the point where I am having a lot of difficulty typing. I definitely need to invest in a more high-end ergo keyboard, but they are quite expensive and I am not sure which one would be best. Just looking for any experiences and pros/cons with these various ergo boards. Thanks so much! 

I love my Comfort Keyboard, Completely split and each - side is verticle. On its base it looks SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Like a raised drawbridge. Plus space between 2 halves can be widened to shoulder width. I type in the "shake hands" neutral position. Very easy to get used to. Heck, a good MT shouldnt have to look at her keyboard, anyway. Another good thing, keys are progamable. I have left side of space bar programed as backspace and F1 programmed as a comma. Right hand on mouse, backspace with left thumb and insert those commas with my left ring finger. Very fast. Have tried the Goldtouch, too. Its okay but with a bit of a tummy in front, I like that I can separate the 2 halves of the Comfort keyboard to shoulder width. I got mine on Ebay years ago. Love it.

Comfort - vertical? - HurtingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Cool, I didn't know about the Comfort. From what you describe it sounds like you have yours completely vertical on each side. I was looking at the website and I couldn't figure out if it goes completely vertical. They show it in a "tent" formation, but no pictures of it straight up and down. Is yours vertical?

Yes, mine is a few degress shy of completely vertical. But it is - completely adjustable, to whatever SM

[ In Reply To ..]
degree of straight up and down you prefer. And in the shoulder width space between the 2 sides, is where I have my notebook that I use to keep track of jobs. And the number pad is very easy to use.

I have used the Kinesis Freestyle for about the last 3-4 - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
years, and now I can never go back to typing on anything else. I think it's the "feel" of the keys that does it for me; there is very little pressure required to strike each key. When I use my old keyboard, which was a microsoft "ergo" my hands/wrists instantly start hurting.

Soft touch - HurtingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, the touch of the keys is important to me as well. This Microsoft board feels like I have to put a lot of effort into each keystroke. I want something that is VERY easy to press.

keyboard - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a Microsoft Ergo and I'm wondering if that might not be the cause of the problem I'm having with my hands. I may have to shell out a little more money next time I buy one.

Kinesis Freestyle - Another Kinesis fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using a Kinesis Freestyle (with the accessories that let me tilt each half outward at a bit of an angle), and I LOVE it. So much, in fact, that I bought a spare so I wouldn't have to use a regular keyboard for a day or two if anything ever went wrong with the first one (though nothing has, in several years now).

Kinesis is an absolute JOY to deal with, too! I can't say enough good about them.

Can Kinesis go completely vertical? nm - HurtingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Carpal Tunnel
Jan 21, 2010

I'm rapidly developing carpal tunnel.  I wonder if I can get MQ to give me some time off without having to take LOA to give my wrists a break?  Has anybody else had issues like this and how did accomodative was MQ?  ...

Besides Carpal Tunnel And PVD, What Else
Jul 11, 2014

as far as occupational hazards? Are we more prone to head and neck disease because of earphone usage? Arthritis because of all the hand work? I am trying to stay ahead of any potential health problems if I can. I notice that my eyes are shot from this job. I have to get a stronger prescription every year. Thanks to any response. ...

Carpal Tunnel Gloves?
Feb 19, 2010

I am starting to have a lot of difficulty with my hands after 24 years of transcribing.  I wake up all night long with pain and tingling in my fingers.  I am pretty sure I have carpal tunnel.  Does anybody wear gloves while they are working to help with carpal tunnel?  If so, what kind and where do you get them?  TIA ...

I'm Having Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Apr 24, 2010

Has any MT out there had carpal tunnel surgery?  I'm having surgery on my right hand on Wednesday.   Just curious if others have had it done and if they are happy with the results.  ...

Carpal Tunnel Decompression
Jan 12, 2011

I can't figure out what the (___) would be.  It s/l it could be (loss and) but I was thinking it was going to be a specific type of compression.  It also could s/l (___ anti-) compression?  It almost s/l moss anti-compression!! "The nerve itself was atrophic and contracted and constricted consistent with (___) compression." Thanks.  ...

Carpal Tunnel Release Help!
Apr 12, 2011

Im stuck on a carpal tunnel release surgery, something about "this included the s/l  hook and hammet, distal extent of the transverse..... ...

Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Jan 19, 2012

The surgeon is saying on carpal tunnel OP report:  A s/l "sin" was placed, and there was direct visualization of the release back to 2-cm proximal to the distal palmar crease.  I would appreciate any help for the "sin" word.  Cannot find it anywhere and don't know if it is jargon or an acronym, device, or what.  Thanks. ...

Gloves For Carpal Tunnel
Apr 15, 2012

Fourth time I've tried to send this post. Apparently it only works in text mode - not rich text mode. I'm trying to identify the fingerless gloves that have 2 wrist pads to protect the median nerve. Does anyone know the name of these gloves??? Thanks! ...

Carpal Tunnel Release
Sep 12, 2013

A left carpal tunnel release that the doc used a *parathenar* incision, dissected to subQ tissues, and the flexor *inacar* was identified proximally. ...

Carpal Tunnel Release Word Help
Nov 22, 2013

I am doing a carpal tunnel release. Dictator states "Next marking was made in the safe zone 5 mm ulnar to the 'interthecal' (he spells this out as interthecal) depression in line with the 3rd web space approaching but not crossing Kaplan cardinal line and approaching but not crossing proximally the wrist crease." I cannot find anything anywhere that is spelled interthecal. "Thecal" means "relating to a sheath, especially a tendon sheath." I suppose he could be meaning "between the ...

Pretty Sure I Have Carpal Tunnel In My Left Wrist. Anyone With
Dec 11, 2012

experience on turning this in with M-Modal.  Will they pay for surgery and then fire me?  This is considered work-related, correct?  ...

The Doctor States To The Patient That Carpal Tunnel Is Not
May 26, 2015

I would like to know exactly where else you would get it from when you're doing 8 hours a day, 5 days a week full-time job for one company for the past 20+ years. No outside of work hobbies or activities to cause it according to patient. This is workers comp law, according to the doctor.   I'm unsure if it's that particular state where the patient resides, but if I were working 40 hours a week at the same job for many years and develop carpal or anything similar, you b ...

Patient Has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. *Sensory Sensoma* Testing Shows *2/3* In All Digits? Thanx. Nm
Jan 13, 2012

nm ...

Really??? "Couple Total Relief" For Carpal Tunnel Release??? NM
Aug 02, 2010

NM ...

Sx For Carpal Tunnel Release, Guyon's Canal Release, Flexor Tenosynovectomy
Mar 16, 2012

x ...

Ergo Keyboard
Jan 22, 2011

What is the best ergonomic keyboard to use? I really like using a wireless keyboard. ...

For Those Using Ergo Gloves For Support
Feb 04, 2010

I have been using Handeze and now am looking again, at smartglove and softflex, leaning towards the latter. Anyone care to give their experience, and/or other recommendations?  thanks. ...

Has Anyone Ever Used Ergo Bead Wrist Supports
Jun 26, 2011

Found this on transcrpitiongear.com (I have ordered equipment from them before and been happy with all purchases) and was wondering if it worked well but no reviews on it yet.  The descriptions says:  "ergoBeads™ are like no other wrist rests or stress balls. Ergonomically designed by an orthopedic surgeon, ergoBeads™ provide optimal comfort for your wrists and hands. Made of cotton Lycra, they are soft and cool against your skin. The smooth plastic bead filling gently sup ...

Where Can I Find A GREAT (but Cheap) Ergo Keyboard?
Jun 22, 2011

I know they have sales from time to time...do any of you know of a great sale that you can share with me?  I really would love to have an ergonomic keyboard again.  I used to have a Microsoft one that I loved years ago...but sadly my son spilled pop on it and I never replaced it. Thank for letting me know! Felicia ...

Old Keyboards
Dec 12, 2009

Does anyone know of an adapter that can be used on the old IBM "clacky" keyboards to convert it to a USB connection?  I know there are adapters out there but I can't find one for these keyboards.  The "end piece" is large round and the regular keyboards have the smaller round connection.  you can get adapters for them but I can't find one with the bigger adapter hole and then the USB connector.  I would LOVE LOVE to find an adapter so I can use the old IBM keyboard. ...

Dell Keyboards
Oct 12, 2009

Is it true that the letters on the Dell keyboards never wear off? ...

Question On Keyboards
Jan 15, 2011

I presently have a keyboard that is USB, and the insert, delete, home, end, page up and page down are in groups of 2 keys top and bottom, 3 across. When I purchased my new HP computer, I noticed the keyboard that came with it was a USB, but the now the insert key is up with the pause/break key in the same line as the hot keys (F) and the home, delete, end, page up, page down are now 2 columns of 3 top and bottom. The delete key takes up two space keys. I have been using the former one for all m ...

Logitech Keyboards
Mar 24, 2011

I recently started having some issues with my Logitech wireless keyboard where it was getting harder to press down on the keys.  I recently moved and when I got everything set up I noticed that the touch seemed to be different.  Shook the keyboard out, took a damp cloth and wiped the keyboard down, etc and still seems to be "different."  I called Logitech this morning and explained what was going on and they are replacing the keyboard free of charge and apparently, you do not have ...

Gloves And Keyboards
Sep 21, 2011

I have a two-fold question here.  Has anyone tried the arthritis gloves from transcripotion gear that are designed to keep your hands warm in the winter (sorry to say that awful word but it is coming), and the stiffness when I am cold is very hard to take in terms of speed and loosening up.  Second fold, has anyone tried the mechanical keyboards?  The ones that area not the "soft touch" and actually make a clicking sound?  The only ones I am finding are ones for "gamers" ...

Ergonomic Keyboards
Jan 28, 2012

I have been a transcriptionist for quite some time and have used the Microsoft Elite Ergonomic Keyboard and have tried two new replacements but for some reason with the newer version of this brand the keys are really hard to touch.  Has anyone used a split keyboard such as the Kinesis or Gold Touch?  I am looking at spending more on something that is of better quality and soft touch on the keys due to shoulder problems.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!  ...

Looking For One Of Those Clickety-click Keyboards (sm)
Jun 09, 2010

I really like the old style keyboards with the metal contacts and springs, rather than the soft touch keyboards with silicon contacts and rubber (but with a USB plug). I've looked at Office Depot, Staples and Best Buy - no one has them.  Anybody else like those? and do you have any suggestions on where they can be found?   ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

Ergonomic Keyboards And Speed
Aug 25, 2011

I'm switching up my office stuff and i'm thinking about getting an ergonomic keyboard. I have been typing on a laptop and every once in a while my hands cramp up. I was just wondering if anyone had a learning curve with the ergo keyboard and if it slowed down their production at all. Thanks! :) ...

Wireless Keyboards For Work - Thoughts?
Nov 21, 2010

I just got a wireless mouse as a gift and absolutely love it, however it does use batteries and I'm unsure how often I'll have to replace them due to being on the computer for long hours working.  I would love to get a wireless keyboard as well (two less cords to trip over, lol), and am would appreciate input from other MTs who have used them.  Are they just as responsive as wired keyboards, have long battery life, etc.?  Some of them are a tad expensive, so I'm uns ...

Gaming Keyboards/keypads Question
May 05, 2011

I was looking for gaming keyboards, since quite a few people are saying how much better they are for doing SR.  All of the ones I've seen have a standard layout, but I use an ergo board.  Has anyone just added a gaming keypad to their current setup, and does it have enough programmable command keys to make it worthwhile?  They sell for about half the price of the gaming keyboard. ...