A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ever known a company to not accept OEM Microsoft versions? - centrum

Posted: Jul 03, 2010

I want to buy an OEM version of Microsoft Office on Ebay, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried it won't be compatible with my company's software. I asked my company, of course, but it will be a wait because it's the weekend.

I just wanted to see if any of you have ever come across a company that did not accept the OEM version of Microsoft Word or Office. Thanks!

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. No company could possibly - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
know that's what is loaded on your computer. You could have bought that version with a brand new computer and it would be an OEM copy unless they provide you with original CD.

The only pitfall with OEM copies is that you can only load it on that same computer if you ever need to reinstall. If you buy a new computer, it won't install again.

A lot have limitations on the version - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
Some will only work with Word 2000, 2003, etc., and some won't work with the student/home edition. Unless you are buying to replace a partial version you are already using and know exactly which one that is, you really have to wait to hear back from the company.

The only problem I could see is the version you - kt

[ In Reply To ..]
buy. Where I work we can not go above Word 2003, so you would need to find that out. I use Office 2007 with Word 2003.

Similar Messages:

Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Vs Microsoft Ergo 4000
Jun 27, 2013

Getting ready to buy a new keyboard and trying to decide between these 2 models. Has anyone used both and can compare them?  Does the CC 3000 really provide relief for the wrists?  I've heard good things about the 4000 but it looks so...LARGE, lol! Any input appreciated before I click the "buy it now" feature! ...

What Versions Of Editscript Are There?
May 10, 2010

Can someone enlighten me on Ediscript(Escription).  What is Editscript 8.0 and the older version.  Can someone give me some general information regarding Editscript and what is the newest version and the oldest version,etc--thanks ...

WMX - New Versions Question
Aug 10, 2010

One of my accounts is going to New Versions.  If I understand it correctly we train when our Main account goes on it.  In the meantime does that mean we won't get any work from that secondary until we are trained on New Versions?  This probably should go to my STM but I bet she is eyeball deep right now.  Thought someone else could help. Also, input from those who have converted on how they like it, how long it took to get up to speed, etc. would be helpful.  Shoot ...

EMDAT Versions
Mar 25, 2013

I just started work with another company that uses EMDAT. I updated to the version they uses, which I think is higher than the one I currently use. When I sign in under my old company ID everything works. Is there a big problem using a different version? Is it possible to load another EMDAT screen onto my desktop if there is? ...

Running Two Versions Of EditScript
Sep 21, 2011

I am an IC working on EditScript version 9; however, I want to take on another IC job but it works off of EditScript version 8.  Is it possible to have both of these installed on my computer to work off of? ...

Express Scribe Older Versions
Jul 29, 2013

I've read posts that suggest downloading older versions if the newest version causes trouble with files (which it is).  Yesterday I tested with a really great company that I hope to work for.  There were 4 test files on MTTest that I used Express Scribe 5.57 (newest version, free 14-day trial).  One test made it through, but the other 3 did not.  I did keep getting kicked out of the company's website after test dictation.  Then I'd come back in and go thro ...

Anyone Else Accept A Job From Spheris Lately?
Mar 16, 2010

I know they are going through a transition, but I accepted--I need a job. I just can't pass up their training program. As far as any upcoming changes, I will deal with it as it comes. ...

VR Do Not Accept 3 Cents!!! People
Dec 03, 2009

MTs out there..do not accept a job for VR on 3 cents a line. These companies are trying to rake you over the coals!   The benchmark was set by Escription at 4 cents a line when they came out with the software and now these companies are trying to lower the bar!!  Do not accept this!  These are the companies that offered 7 cents a line for straight typing instead of 9 or 10.  ...

Any Companies Out There That Accept Satellite 'net?
Mar 23, 2010

I'm in a rural area in the Midwest and currently have satellite Internet.  Seems like all the services are requiring DSL, which isn't available here.  I don't even know if wireless is an option.  Anyone know of service(s) needing experienced (20+ years) MTs?  Keep in mind, though, that I do want to be paid for the work.  :o)  I currently work as an IC and prefer no specified schedule so that I am able to work around my family members' m ...

I May Accept A Position With TransTech.
Jun 23, 2012

I've been offered a position with TransTech.  Would anyone please give me their opinions of the company.  I was told they charge $9 to use their equipment, but I will use my own computer but will have to use their foot pedal.  Wouldn't it better to just buy my own foot pedal then I'd always have it instead of them charging every payday.  I don't even know what they cost but will look into that.  Also I'm concerned about the required line count.&n ...

Do Most Big Companies Accept Windows 7 Now, And
Jul 06, 2013

I'm job hunting after a couple of years off. When I left, many companies (including, I believe, Nuance and M-Modal) would not accept Windows 7, which is what I have.  I hope that has changed.  I don't want to downgrade to XP and I sure as h*ll don't want Windows 8. ...

Does Synernet Accept Satelite
Jul 29, 2013

I just found out our new home doesnt have dsl or Uverse compatibility and i am to start work on august 5th with synernetand the only other thing that can be done is satelite.  ...

So....don't Accept It! I Don't Work For Nuance But
Dec 01, 2014

I suppose I could any day now if they decide to acquisition my company, but I would refuse this kind of pay formula and would look for another job ASAP.  If the en masse won't work for this minimum wage (sounds like), they will have to change it, but I suppose they could send it all to India.  Wonder what the clients would say about that?  They can only do what the industry will allow them to do in my opinion. For all naysayers, I have worked for a service that was bought ou ...

What Is The Lowest Line Rate You Are Willing To Accept As An IC? Sm
Dec 15, 2009

I just applied for a job, aced the test, and have 18+ years experience.  I was offered .06 cpl to start, but will be "generously" bumped up to a whopping .07 cpl once I've proved myself.  I have never, ever been offered anything lower than .08 cpl in my entire career.  I did make 7.75 cpl one, but that was 15 years ago, working for the Q on a simple ER account with templates out the ying yang. I really feel insulted here.  Good grief... I would really appreciate some in ...

Cypress Medical - Did Anyone Accept A Position?
Jul 25, 2012

Did anyone accept a position with the above after doing the 49-page file review and summarization.  I had a call from the gentleman last night but not at a good time, so he will call back this evening.  Curious as to whether or not their actual files are as disorganized as the test file.  If anyone accepted a position, can you share how it is going.  Thanks. ...

Opinions Please-- Would You Accept A Lower Cpl Over A Higher
Nov 12, 2012

7 cpl job has BCBS about 53.00 per pp, dental 4.00 per pp. Employer pays for short term and long term disability, and they pay your life insurance at 2 times your pay. They offer about 28 paid PTO days per year, 8 holidays a year of which you have to work at least 2, profit sharing if company has increased profits for the year, plus 401K where they will deposit 3%, plus match 50 cents on the dollar up to 8%. They provide equipment. Very easy and transcription friendly software program, pay ...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME
Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests. Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates. I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession. ...

Now Told Cannot Accept Anymore Christmas Or New Year's Off... Sm
Nov 18, 2010

Okay, I am a lonnnnggg time MT/ME with Q for almost 18 years.  Historically I have ALWAYS taken New Year's holiday and worked Tgiving and Christmas every year.  (most of the time NJA anyway).   What gets me is that I asked 3 months ago for the dates Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1.  Now Fri and Sat are my days off anyway (work 2 hours Fri), so I said I would work Mon and Wed before these days to make up.   Now we get the message no more PTO, even New Year.   ...

Not Happy! Nothing New With Low To No Work This Week For My Acct, I Get That And Accept It (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

and I know it's temporary.  My problem is that the company I work for requires a daily line count and expects us to work around our schedules and do anything we can to get those lines in.  Usually not a problem.  But this week is a holiday week and my husband and kids are home, and we scheduled things to do alone as well as with other family members and friends, so when my shift is over it has to be over.  Christmas Eve/Christmas morning, yesterday, and it looks like tod ...

Superior Global Solutions...do They Accept Satellite?
Mar 28, 2012

Trying to find companies besides M*Modal who allow satellite internet.  I currently work at Transcend and I can use it there BUT Nuance bought them out and eventually the account will go to Nuance's platform, and Nuance does not allow satellite.  So I am trying to prepare ahead of time.  Does Superior Global allow satellite?  ...

Minimum Commitment That Spheris Will Accept For Part-time? 
Jan 21, 2010

Can anyone tell me the minimum commitment that Spheris will accept for part-time?  ...

MICROSOFT WORD HELP
Sep 19, 2010

I have what may sound like a stupid question.  I was wondering how to back up/save our dictionaries for auto correct and auto text.  I would like to back it up on a disc so if my computer bites the dust, I will still have all of my entries.  I would hate to have to put them all in all over again and I would be lost without them.  TIA and have a great day!! ...

Microsoft Email
Oct 15, 2010

Well now Microsoft wants us to change our passwords before 10/17.  Anyone know how to do this?  Also have 19 updates to do. Everytime I do these it changes my Microsoft Email to version 2003.  Anyone else have these problems?  Thanks. ...

Microsoft Word, Need To Buy
Mar 11, 2012

I need to buy 2003 standard, professional or 2007 or 2010.  None of them can be the student version.  Does anyone know if there is a free trial available or where I can purchase this at a reasonable rate?  I'm checking ebay and I'm watching two right now, but I'm open to other ideas! ...

Microsoft Updates
Nov 19, 2014

Just had a weird thing happen to me. On Tuesdays they typically send out Microsoft updates which are usually to see if you have any kind of virus on your computer. Usually, this only takes a few minutes to configure my computer and this time, I thought it never would stop. Honestly, it was at least an hour to configure my computer. I think something is wrong. The only other thing I updated was Adobe Flash. Anyway, it was weird and scary. Thought I was not going to be able to do an ...

MICROSOFT WORD 2000
Dec 02, 2011

Some time ago I purchased a Microsoft Word 2000 and I have lost my product code key...any suggests on getting another product key code...someone please help, I really need this for work. ...

Microsoft Word 2003???
Feb 22, 2013

I just got a new computer and am trying to find a downloadable version of Microsoft Word (ideally 2003, which is what is on my old computer) or even 2008 or 2010.  I had found a downloadable version of this for $39.99 a couple of months ago, but I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it.  When I go to the Microsoft website, the only downloadable version I can find is apparently their new Office 365.   TIA to anyone who can help :-) ...

Microsoft Office 2013
Feb 27, 2013

It's time for a new PC, and I found a great deal on a brand new one that comes loaded with MS-Office 2013.  It took forever to get used to 2010.  Anyone here had experience with 2013?  Pros and cons, please.  ...

Microsoft Dumping XP Next Month.
Mar 16, 2014

That is what I have with no problems and I am not looking forward to revamping this computer. ...

Is Learning Microsoft Word 7 Difficult?
Oct 17, 2009

I have never used this for doing MT.  ...