A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do we have any experts on setting macros in Word? sm - MTBird

Posted: Nov 13, 2010

My account has capped and bolded headings.  For some reason, VR NEVER bolds.  I guess it isn't capable of doing so! 

Is there any way to set up a macro to bold like maybe all headings or bold words in caps or anything like that? Even bold from the : to the beginning of the line maybe? I can't seem to figure out how to set this up.  There used to be a webpage for help with macros and shortcuts but I don't recall what it was.  Does anyone know what I am talking about? 

I do use ctrl + bold but it still is time consuming to highlight the heading to then bold it.

Any suggestions?

What version of Word do you use? - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

What version of Word do you have?  Each is a little different.  Word 2003 is different from Word 2007, and so on.

In Word 2007, if you want to bold a word, all you have to do is put the cursor within the word and hit CTRL+B – you do not have to highlight the word first.  

For example if you want to bold “IMPRESSION”, make sure the cursor is within the word somewhere (not at the very beginning – before the “I” – and not at the very end – after the “N”), but somewhere within the word.  

With Word 2007, that works for just about anything – bold, underline, change case.  As long as the cursor is within the word, the entire word will take on that feature.  

Hope that makes sense.

If you use Word 2003, I would have to look at my old computer to see about macros because I have not used it in a few months, so I cannot remember exactly how it works with Word 2003.  

Can you use autocorrect? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
To make a word all caps, I use autocorrect. Put the word in lowercase in the "Replace" field (or shortcut for the word) and then put the word in all caps in the "With" field. I don't know about bolding it, but maybe if you bold the word, highlight it, and open autocorrect and insert the word or shortcut in the "Replace" field (the bolded word you highlighted should already be in the "With" field) it would bold it when you use your shortcut. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, I can use autocorrect. To bold in the replace/find sm - MTBird

[ In Reply To ..]
You click on the font button down there in "more". I found that but still not figuring it out how to work it. Most of the headings do come capped already, just not bolded.

Unfortunately, I am using Word 2003. That features sounds cool though! sm - MTBird

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe its time I should upgrade.

What I have working at the moment (the best I have been able to come up with) is I recorded a macro to search/find the : Then I exit off the search/find screen, highlight to beginning of line, bold, then search for the next : and repeat.

Any better solutions? This is a hard one but one that has been slowing me down quite a bit. Gotta find an easier, less time consuming way.

I also use Word 2003 - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not used it in a while (work on company-provided computer now)because old computer not working at the moment, but the cap thing does work in autocorrect in 2003 as I used it, just not sure about the bolding. It seems that whatever you put into the "With" field should work. Try to bold and cap the word, highlight it, and then open autocorrect and enter the information and let me know if it works.

One more trick you can try - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

There is one other thing you can try, but I am not sure if it would be any faster than the Macro that you already set up.

This supposedly works in all versions of Word.  I know it works in 2007, but you will have to try it in Word 2003 to see if it indeed does work and if it is any faster than the Macro.

I guess the only real difference is whether you want to change all the headings at one time when you start or finish the report; or if you prefer to do it as you get to each section.  I tend to get distracted and forget to run macros at the beginning or end.  And in your case with the colon and bold, SR could put in a colon where it does not belong or not put the colon in at all for a heading, and the Macro will miss it or bold something that should not be bolded. 

At any rate, here are the instructions that you can try if you want to change words to bold as you read through the report.

If you are straight typing, you can use the asterisks trick described below  at the beginning and end of a word or phrase that you want bolded.  If you are doing SR, it still works.  Just type the * at the beginning where you want to start bolding and then at the end where you want to stop.  That way you can either bold one word or a phrase, sentence, or even paragraph, just by adding * at the beginning and end. 

Word provides another quick way to make text bold—using asterisks.  If you type asterisks in this manner (directly next to a word or group of words) in Word, the asterisks are automatically removed and the word(s) are shown in bold type.

You can try this yourself by typing *this is bold* (exactly as shown here, including spacing) within Word.  When you type the second asterisk, both asterisks should disappear and the words "this is bold" are shown in bold type.

If this formatting shortcut doesn't work for you, it is because of a setting in Word's AutoFormat feature.

If you are using an older version of Word, follow these steps:

1. Choose AutoCorrect Options from the Tools menu.  Word displays the AutoCorrect dialog box.

2. Make sure the AutoFormat As You Type tab is displayed.

3. Make sure the *Bold* and _Italic_ with Real Formatting check box is selected.

4. Click OK.

The shortcut should now work just fine.

Hope this helps.  Let us know which works better for you.  It may be a trick we can pass along to other MTs struggling with SR.

Good Luck

Oh that is cool! Thanks for sharing. sm - MTBird
[ In Reply To ..]
I never knew you could do that * trick in Word. I did have to turn mine on but then it worked.

I wonder what the one that says to set formatting based on your editing styles does. Hmm, I am going to keep playing with them. Was kinda slow today so I use that time to try to figure out some new shortcuts.
That is cool, thanks!! - No message
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

macros - OldHandAtThis

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is my macro to do this, it may be more than you need as it creates a bookmark at the beginning of the header, it also inserts a colon if there isn't one, and it assumes that you are going to start typing 2 spaces over. It also changes the header to upper case if it isn't. If you realize halfway through your paragraph that your header did not bold or underline then go back to the colon of your header, and run the macro.

If this is more than you need, or you need to drop down a line to start typing, don't want the bookmark, etc., then write me back and I will modify the macro and publish it again.

Here it is:

Sub FormatHeader()
Dim HeaderString, TempString, BookMarkString As String
Dim Spaces As Boolean: Spaces = False
Dim L, A As Long
Selection.MoveUp unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
TempString = Trim(UCase(Selection.Text))
Selection.Delete
GoSub FontsOff: GoSub CleanString: GoSub FontsOn
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Name:=BookMarkString
Selection.TypeText Trim(HeaderString) & ":"
GoSub FontsOff: GoSub CheckRight
Exit Sub

CleanString:
TempString = Application.CleanString(TempString)
L = Len(TempString)
While L > 0
Char = Mid(TempString, 1, 1): TempString = Mid(TempString, 2, L)

If Char <> " " Then
Spaces = False
End If

If Char = ":" Then
Char = ""
ElseIf Char = " " And Spaces = True Then
Char = "": Spaces = True
ElseIf Char = " " Then
Spaces = True
End If

HeaderString = HeaderString & Char

If Char = ";" Or Char = "." Or Char = "," _
Or Char = "?" Or Char = "!" Then
Char = ""
ElseIf Char = " " Then
Char = "_"
End If
BookMarkString = BookMarkString & Char
L = L - 1 '
Wend
Return

FontsOn:
With Selection
.Font.Bold = True: .Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle
End With
Return

FontsOff:
With Selection
.Font.Bold = False: .Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
End With
Return

CheckRight:
GoSub AsciiText
While A = 32 Or A = 58
Selection.Delete: GoSub AsciiText
Wend
If A = 32 Then
Return
Else: Selection.TypeText " "
GoSub FontsOff
End If

While A = 40 Or A = 147
Selection.MoveRight: GoSub AsciiText
Wend

If A = 112 Then
Selection.MoveRight unit:=wdWord, Extend:=wdWord
TempString = Trim(Selection.Text)
Selection.Collapse
If TempString = "pH" Then
Return
End If
ElseIf A < 96 Then
Return
End If
With Selection
.Delete: .TypeText Chr(A - 32): .MoveLeft unit:=wdCharacter
End With
Return

AsciiText: A = Asc(Selection.Text): Return

End Sub

Properly formatted macro that should work - OldHandAtThis

[ In Reply To ..]

I hope this macro will format propertly this time, I am using rich text format:

Sub FormatHeader()
    Dim HeaderString, TempString, BookMarkString As String
    Dim Spaces As Boolean: Spaces = False
    Dim L, A As Long

Selection.MoveUp unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
    TempString = Trim(UCase(Selection.Text))
    Selection.Delete
        GoSub FontsOff: GoSub CleanString: GoSub FontsOn
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Name:=BookMarkString
    Selection.TypeText Trim(HeaderString) & ":"
        GoSub FontsOff: GoSub CheckRight
            Exit Sub

CleanString:
TempString = Application.CleanString(TempString)
L = Len(TempString)
While L > 0
    Char = Mid(TempString, 1, 1): TempString = Mid(TempString, 2, L)

If Char <> " " Then
        Spaces = False
    End If

If Char = ":" Then
        Char = ""
    ElseIf Char = " " And Spaces = True Then
        Char = "": Spaces = True
    ElseIf Char = " " Then
        Spaces = True
    End If

HeaderString = HeaderString & Char

If Char = ";" Or Char = "." Or Char = "," _
            Or Char = "?" Or Char = "!" Then
            Char = ""
        ElseIf Char = " " Then
            Char = "_"
        End If
            BookMarkString = BookMarkString & Char
            L = L - 1 '
Wend
        Return

FontsOn:
    With Selection
        .Font.Bold = True: .Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle
    End With
        Return

FontsOff:
    With Selection
        .Font.Bold = False: .Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
    End With
        Return

CheckRight:
    GoSub AsciiText
    While A = 32 Or A = 58
        Selection.Delete: GoSub AsciiText
    Wend
    If A = 32 Then
        Return
    Else: Selection.TypeText "  "
        GoSub FontsOff
    End If

While A = 40 Or A = 147
        Selection.MoveRight: GoSub AsciiText
    Wend

If A = 112 Then
    Selection.MoveRight unit:=wdWord, Extend:=wdWord
    TempString = Trim(Selection.Text)
    Selection.Collapse
        If TempString = "pH" Then
            Return
        End If
ElseIf A < 96 Then
        Return
End If
    With Selection
        .Delete: .TypeText Chr(A - 32): .MoveLeft unit:=wdCharacter
    End With
        Return

AsciiText: A = Asc(Selection.Text): Return

End Sub

why bother with this lengthy process? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I asked for help with one and OldHandAtThis was being helpful! sm - MTBird
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you ~ OldHandAtThis. I am going to try to get it going now. I do appreciate the time you took to do that macro for me. They are time consuming and I never learned how to do those.

To nm, why bother to post a hateful message?
please note - .
[ In Reply To ..]
There are some very expeditious ways to produce the same results. Anyone might wonder if there were an advantage to using a lengthier process.

I apologize. No hatefulness intended.

Header Macro - OldHandAtThis
[ In Reply To ..]

I only posted this macro because I thought it would be helpful.  It was no trouble to do so whatsoever as I wrote this macro a good long time ago.  While transcribing reports, as I am mousing to this toolbar, clicking on that button, backspacing through paragraphs, etc., I find myself thinking wouldn't it be nice if . . . and if I think that thought often enough about some tedious time-consuming process, I eventually decide to take the time to write a macro to streamline the process or solve a problem.  

Oh and by the way, snarky poster, writing it was only a long-involved process for me, for anyone else it is simply a matter of cuting & pasting the code to your normal.dot or whatever template you store your macros.   And if you don't want to fool with it, so be it, it's out there for anyone that might find it use, I am certainly not going to care, I wrote it for myself because I find it quite useful. 

I decided also to wrote in a routine to take out extra spaces in the macro, and to make sure that the text starts right at the left hand margin, and that the bold and underline fonts are turned off at the end of the header, and also that the header text is always upper case, but did not use the "allcaps" font as that can sometimse make a problem in the text of the following paragraph which you then have to back and fix. 

I would suggest putting the macro on an alt or control key combination (I use Alt-H) to make it more efficient. 

I have modified this macro many times when transcribing for different clients, if you don't need all of the features of this macro, such as the bookmark, or underlining, it is a very simple matter to "comment out" those lines of code you don't need.  I would be glad to help you do this if you write me and let me know what you want. 

By the way, it was my ego that led me to respond to your question when you asked if there were any macro experts on this board -- while I don't exactly think I am an expert, I'm pretty knowledgable and I enjoy the challenge of writing a useful and easy to use macro. 

I agree with the poster who wrote that we should pass on tips, etc., that that might help us all to become more productive in this challenging competitive environment, and that was my other (more noble) reason for posting this macro, especially because I have posted questions to this board and gotten some very helpful answers.

macros, formatting, etc. - .

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not use macros; I find them inordinately time consuming. Instead, I use AutoCorrect and AutoText exclusively.

Make your heading just like you want it: bold, underlined, etc. Select the text while it is formatted the way you want it, and the autocorrect/ autotext "shortcut" will produce your formatted text.

There should be no reason to have to go back and bold it or underline it.

To speed things up further, use keystrokes to access the menus rather than taking your hands off the keyboard to use the mouse. You can even assign your own keystrokes to tasks by using the "customize" feature on the tools menu.

For example, to select text, use "Ctrl" and the arrow keys to hop from one word to the next rather than using the mouse to select the text.

Similar Messages:

Macros In Word?
Apr 16, 2011

I've always worked from home and used Word Perfect.  Now I'm back in the office - one of offices I've contracted with for years, but they have Word.  It's taking me forever, and I can't figure out how to build macros in Word like I had in Word Perfect.  Help??? ...

Please Help! Trying To Put Macros/expanders In Word 2003
Oct 07, 2010

and I can't figure it out for the life of me . I watched a video of how to make short-cuts, like opening up certain things by just a few keystrokes, but I want to expand words, like tp for the patient.  How do I enter these into Word 2003?  Links?  help please!  I can't afford other productivity software right now. thanks!!!!!!! ...

How To Create A Macros In The New Word 2010?
Nov 21, 2010

Does anyone know how to create a macros in the new Word 2010?  I just got this new OS and and frustrated!  I need a jump code and can't get it to work.  ...

Setting Up Jump Points In Word And IT
Apr 03, 2012

I need to set up jump points in a document in Word 2003 but do not know how. In other words, I want to replace a jump point or marker like @@ with text in an Instant Text entry. Anyone know how to do this? ...

Creating Macros And Autotext In MS Word 2003
Sep 22, 2010

I know this is probably pretty basic for most people but I just started using MS Word for one of my new MT jobs and there are a lot of repetitive phrases, salutations etc and I want to create my own macros and Autotext but can't seem to find some definitive answers on the internet. I have been working for over 20 years for a hospital who provided all the up to date auto text and macros so I didn't have to create them so now I'm lost. Thanks for any help or advice. ...

Any Microsoft Word 2010 Experts Out There?
Feb 23, 2013

I just downloaded a free trial of a medical/pharmaceutical dictionary and when I went to import it into my custom dictionaries, it says it must be converted to a Unicode document before importing. I'm confused...Does anyone know what this means or how to "convert" it to Unicode?  I'm totally  new to MSO 2010, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ...

Macros?
Feb 01, 2011

I want to be able to type a couple of letters and have a whole physical exam for a certain dictator appear in my Word document.  Do I use a macro for that?  If not, how do I do this?  Any info would be great!! Thanks. ...

Are Macros Possible?
Jan 28, 2015

Lately I have been getting 60% of my work coming through as letters, and I need to know if there is any way I can shorten the process of inserting the Address, Body and Closing headings with some type of macro to avoid so many repetitive keystrokes.  ...

Medent Macros
Jan 17, 2013

Does anyone know how to go about setting up macros within Medent? It's a Word based program.  ...

Need Dictaphone Macros
Feb 12, 2015

I'm a former employee, now working as an IC, and had been so used to all the macros that were built into Microsoft Word when they installed Dictatphone/ExEditor.  Unfortunately, you can only access those while ExEditor is open, and I forgot to copy them out of there so I could use them later. Any chance I could get someone on here that is still working on ExEditor to copy their macros and paste them here?  Essentially you'd just need to be in ExEditor with Word open... then ...

Setting Up A Server
Nov 26, 2009

Has anyone out there set up a server for your business? If so, how complicated was it, and is iit worth the investment?  I have about 10 MTs (small business).  I think this would save a lot of time and frustration if we had a server... Anyone who can share their opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Help With Windows Setting
Oct 13, 2010

I'm struggling with getting my "new" computer up and running.  Of course, it isn't a new computer, because we have to have Windows XP.  Grrrr. I can't figure out how to get my windows to open to full screen - or maybe 2/3 size like my old, now deceased, computer.  I get a small centered square no matter what program  I open, and have to maximize every time I open a window.  I've done it before, but have absolutely no recollection of how. ...

Quality Bar Setting
Mar 10, 2012

Just read an article in the AARP Bulletin that 1 in 7 Medicare patients died or were harmed by their hospital care and the number of patients who die each year from preventable hospital errors is equal to 4 full jumbo jets crashing EACH WEEK.  They can't figure out what to do about it.  Maybe auditing the employees like crazy and holding them to a 99% accuracy standard and cutting their pay 50% if they don't meet it like MMMMMModal/Q?  Sure seems to work for me :) ...

TTD - Setting It Straight
Jun 10, 2012

I used to work there for approx. a year or so, before it really went down the toilet. I believe that sheer GREED set it and that's when it went downhill. Although I no longer work there, I have kept contact with some pretty reliable people. There are "100s" who are on the books to work; however, they work when they want, IF they want - there is absolutely no consistency to schedule or hours or days, nothing. Thus, the need to have that many people; the HOPE that someone will be working ...

Need Help Setting Up To Get My Own Clients
Sep 23, 2014

20 years ago, like a lot of us, I worked at home typing dictations from cassettes on a typewriter!   Recently I was asked by a health care provider if I can do her dictation notes on her own program, using her own templates, send them to her printer from my computer, like is done with the national company I work for.  How do I do set this up in this day and age?  Can I download her program onto a thumb drive and put in my own computer?  How do I get her templates into my ...

Hem/Onc Experts?
Jun 01, 2010

It seems everywhere I check on this I come up with differing opinions, so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a rather hard-and-fast rule. Are stations and levels standardized now as roman or alpha?  For example, is it "station 11R" or "station XIR" lymph nodes?  To my non-expert eye, the "11R" is much more reader-friendly but I know things don't always work that way. Has anyone heard if there is a set way the levels and stations are to be transcribed? Any guidance, li ...

Are You Paid For Expanded Macros?
Nov 10, 2010

I just recently started on a new account where there are lots of macros we have to spend time choosing and selecting carefully.  I'm not sure if I'm even getting paid for the fully expanded macros or just wasting time while the doc mumbles and fumbles about which macros to choose and all for free.  I have an E-mail in to the supervisor, but the more advanced technology gets in this field, the more it seems we work for free.  I'm venturing that we do not get paid fo ...

Can Someone Help Me With Macros? Dictaphone EXEditor
Aug 29, 2012

I have written some macros to help with certain formatting issues with Dictaphone EXEditor.  However, I cannot get them to "stick" from session to session.  I have to continually create them daily.  How can I get them to SAVE and be available to me even after I sign out and sign on the next day?   Thank you in advance for your help! ...

Editing Macros, Anybody Willing To Share
Aug 24, 2014

I use Shorthand 10, and just am getting into SR.  I know there are good macros for working with SR, but I cannot remember the ones I had before.  Would anyone be willing to share their's with me and others?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Setting Up Outlook Express
Feb 15, 2010

I need help setting up Outlook Express from scratch.  I need help with everything.  I guess I am really dumb. ...

Setting Up Clinic Account
Jun 07, 2011

I did transcription for a physician about 15 years ago (drove 20 miles to his office, picked up tapes and returned finished product 2-3 times a week).  He is unhappy with his current transcription service and wants me to do it again.  He uses a digital recorder now and I am not sure how to set things up so I can do it online or through email.  I would greatly appreciate any direction or advice in this area.  ...

Express Scribe Setting?
Oct 06, 2011

Hi I am using Express Scribe 5.24 and need to have the pedals set for rewind timing.. I mean the center pedal that when you release it will self rewind say 3 to 5 seconds   Cant find that, where might that be? ...

Which Setting Do You Have Your Audio Speed On?
Jan 16, 2014

I've always kept mine on 0.8 and thought it was perfect but turned it up yesterday to 1.0 and didn't really notice too much difference.  I like it right around there because I am able to hear every nuance of what is dictated and rarely miss any of the small details.  I read on a different thread that someone else kept theirs much faster so it got me curious what the "average" is.  Is mine ridiculously slow or are some of you just ridiculously fast?  :) ...

Okay, VR Experts Help Me Solve This One:)
Aug 31, 2010

I am open to VR and have done it before at my previous job with the same software, dictatphone, and do not find dictaphone bad to do VR at all. The problem is, with this job that I have now, I have been killing myself, I cannot get over 500 lines per day doing VR, and all the accounts are VR.  The reason I cannot get above 500 lines is for every job that is a letter, consult, DS, PT, memo, or review, I have to create a new visit ID, look up the physicians ID and location, create that visit ...

Ortho Experts Please
Feb 19, 2011

Is it dorsal sacral ligament or dorsosacral ligament? Thank you. ...

OP Experts - Help ASAP Please!
Mar 24, 2011

I'm drawing a blank on this for some reason and help would be ever so much appreciated! "The stab incisions were closed with (s/l emethol) and Steri-Strips..." TIA! ...

Bayscribe Experts, Need Help Please
May 18, 2012

Hello all...I'm back on the Bayscribe platform with a new account and haven't used it in ages. My question is, I know there is a Bayscribe page that lists all of the commands, such as accessing the word expander, but I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a link to this page so I can copy down the commands? TIA for anyone who can help!!! ...

Sepsis Experts
Jun 03, 2012

Sepsis.  Diagnosis is sepsis due to pneumonia.  The diagnoses are presented in this way: Sepsis due to pneumonia UTI due to E. Coli Now, if you code the sepsis, it will be sepsis unspecified because you do not have an organism documented for the pneumonia or the sepsis (they don't know)038.9, 99591 and 486.  If you go to code the UTI with E. Coli, there is an edit that excludes 041.4 with 038.9.  Do you put it in, or do you just leave the organism for the UTI ...

Radiology Experts - HELP!!
Jun 10, 2012

I am typing a report about a man who is having knee problems. S/l doc is say8ing "Radiographs, including CENTERIZED view of both knees does show ...   Does he mean CENTERED?  Am I missing something?  Help please. thanks. ...

Any Macro Experts?
May 14, 2013

So I have all these templates to pull into a single document all the time depending on what the patient is being seen for.  I also have to put the name, dob, etc, in a particular place in all of these templates.  Is there anyway to make a macro that will ask me the pertinent info up front and then when done it all just populates ready for me to just type?  This is in Word by the way. ...