A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Quality bar setting - error free

Posted: Mar 10, 2012

Just read an article in the AARP Bulletin that 1 in 7 Medicare patients died or were harmed by their hospital care and the number of patients who die each year from preventable hospital errors is equal to 4 full jumbo jets crashing EACH WEEK.  They can't figure out what to do about it. 

Maybe auditing the employees like crazy and holding them to a 99% accuracy standard and cutting their pay 50% if they don't meet it like MMMMMModal/Q?  Sure seems to work for me :)

All healthcare providers need to be held liable - this is not strictly a transcription issue.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Are You Saying... - Ex-DSGer

[ In Reply To ..]
I already have gotten docked for sending "too many" reports to QA, but are you saying that if we don't meet 99% accuracy, we get half our line rate? Per quarter?

If that's the case, then now I understand why they raised the bar on the accuracy. Because it's almost impossible to do, so now they can pay us half.

I dont think that is what she was saying at all - think this just a poster making a

[ In Reply To ..]
snarky post/jab at MTs or M-Modal. As far as the per quater half line rate goes, I have no idea what you are talking about, I have sent 5% to QA before and saw the difference on my check, but other pay-periods/pay checks were not affected.

The 5% thing is based on a pay-period, not a quater.

3 cpl is about half in my book :) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ex-DSGer - My Question Was..
[ In Reply To ..]
...If we go below 99% accuracy, do they pay only half our line rate? I get the whole punishment for sending to QA deal.
TO: EX-DSGer - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a thread on here about this where a girl posted about this very thing.

She was asking because she had failed an audit, meaning she did not pass with 99%. Another poster who had been with MQ for a while said that you get 3 chances to pass the audit and if you do not pass on the 3rd time then yes they will dock you 3cpl while you are on 100% QA until you pass the next audit.

The girl who had this question later came back and posted that she had spoken with her CCM and was told that she would not be docked pay for not passing the audit with a 99%.

Hope this helps.
dock you 3 cpl, which is half or more for most of us - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Well in all truthfulness, what is the likelihood of you - failing an audit 3 times in a row?
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess their reasoning is if you cant pass an audit after 3 times then thats grounds for concern and maybe their way of dealing with that is by cutting pay.

I really dont know, Im not in management and have never failed an audit and pray I never do, but I think to give you 3 shots is pretty fair.

QUALITY BAR SETTING - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
just had my audit, had no CRITICAL errors at all, few MINOR, mostly the 0.25 points, but brought me just barely below 99%....all for totally insignificant items, like not typing "There is" in front of "no masses" (just typed "No masses." This really affects patient care!

maybe this has nothing to do with records at all - and just doctor laziness

[ In Reply To ..]
them being careless about prescriptions and quality of care given... maybe they spent too much time entering data into the computer now instead of dealing with the patient and evaluating symptoms.

I hear you! Except for the part about it working for me (ha ha) - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I think some posters misunderstood your intention, but I get it and you are so right.

errors - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an RN for 10 years before MT, and I can tell you that there were MANY errors that harmed patients that were misread physician orders (whodda thunk that doc's writing is hard to read?), mistakes from pharmacy, wrong dosages, in addition to not following aseptic technique and the ensuing nosocomial infections. Most (at least back then) had nothing to do with the transcription of medical records FWIW.

Ditto. Any nurse, doctor, or pharmacist should be - able to spot an error when

[ In Reply To ..]
looking at patient's chart/records, prescriptions etc. Heck if as a transcriptionist if a doctor gives me a lab value or a dosage that sounds far fetched and I question it, I would assume leave a blank and let them figure it out before I just type it.

Same with pharmacist and healthcare providers, they should be able spot errors immediately when administering medications or making determinations on how to proceed with patient care. Its common sense in the medical field - Patient safety comes first.

Why do you think pharmacist call physicians to verify dosage info etc. It all goes hand in hand, not just clinical documentation but EVERYONE is liable.

Just amazed at the expectations we are held to - error free

[ In Reply To ..]
that's all.

EXACTLY - when a doctor or other healthcare professional - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
makes a minor mistake (and most of our mistakes are just that...most)....THEY don't get their pay docked like we do. They may get fired after a few whoppers, but I tell you what, I'd rather get let go if I weren't a good MT and collect UI until I found something more suitable than have my pay cut for stupid mistakes like typing the instead of a.

You would be amazed how careful the docs are - when you walk in with a clipboard and take notes

[ In Reply To ..]
When my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer..My oldest brother said take notes of everything..which is what we did,,she was never left alone even at night...When they see that pen going they are very careful what they do..We got some wonderful care in that hospital

Similar Messages:

Setting Up A Server
Nov 26, 2009

Has anyone out there set up a server for your business? If so, how complicated was it, and is iit worth the investment?  I have about 10 MTs (small business).  I think this would save a lot of time and frustration if we had a server... Anyone who can share their opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Help With Windows Setting
Oct 13, 2010

I'm struggling with getting my "new" computer up and running.  Of course, it isn't a new computer, because we have to have Windows XP.  Grrrr. I can't figure out how to get my windows to open to full screen - or maybe 2/3 size like my old, now deceased, computer.  I get a small centered square no matter what program  I open, and have to maximize every time I open a window.  I've done it before, but have absolutely no recollection of how. ...

TTD - Setting It Straight
Jun 10, 2012

I used to work there for approx. a year or so, before it really went down the toilet. I believe that sheer GREED set it and that's when it went downhill. Although I no longer work there, I have kept contact with some pretty reliable people. There are "100s" who are on the books to work; however, they work when they want, IF they want - there is absolutely no consistency to schedule or hours or days, nothing. Thus, the need to have that many people; the HOPE that someone will be working ...

Need Help Setting Up To Get My Own Clients
Sep 23, 2014

20 years ago, like a lot of us, I worked at home typing dictations from cassettes on a typewriter!   Recently I was asked by a health care provider if I can do her dictation notes on her own program, using her own templates, send them to her printer from my computer, like is done with the national company I work for.  How do I do set this up in this day and age?  Can I download her program onto a thumb drive and put in my own computer?  How do I get her templates into my ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Setting Up Outlook Express
Feb 15, 2010

I need help setting up Outlook Express from scratch.  I need help with everything.  I guess I am really dumb. ...

Setting Up Clinic Account
Jun 07, 2011

I did transcription for a physician about 15 years ago (drove 20 miles to his office, picked up tapes and returned finished product 2-3 times a week).  He is unhappy with his current transcription service and wants me to do it again.  He uses a digital recorder now and I am not sure how to set things up so I can do it online or through email.  I would greatly appreciate any direction or advice in this area.  ...

Express Scribe Setting?
Oct 06, 2011

Hi I am using Express Scribe 5.24 and need to have the pedals set for rewind timing.. I mean the center pedal that when you release it will self rewind say 3 to 5 seconds   Cant find that, where might that be? ...

Which Setting Do You Have Your Audio Speed On?
Jan 16, 2014

I've always kept mine on 0.8 and thought it was perfect but turned it up yesterday to 1.0 and didn't really notice too much difference.  I like it right around there because I am able to hear every nuance of what is dictated and rarely miss any of the small details.  I read on a different thread that someone else kept theirs much faster so it got me curious what the "average" is.  Is mine ridiculously slow or are some of you just ridiculously fast?  :) ...

S/l J-mar 2 Setting (Dupuytren/hand Strength)
Jun 08, 2010

This patient has dupuytren disease and the doctor dictates the following: His strength in the right is 50 and 50 by s/l j-mar 1 setting.    Any ideas???  ...

Is There A Way To Change The Setting On The Auto Save?
Sep 08, 2010

I think that is one thing that is slowing my computer down.  I notice it gets real sluggish and then the "Auto Save" flases in the bottom tool bar.  ...

Well They Are Setting Us Up For The Next Pay Cut. Classes On Improving Our Keystrokes While Doing A
Nov 04, 2010

nm ...

Do We Have Any Experts On Setting Macros In Word? Sm
Nov 13, 2010

My account has capped and bolded headings.  For some reason, VR NEVER bolds.  I guess it isn't capable of doing so!  Is there any way to set up a macro to bold like maybe all headings or bold words in caps or anything like that? Even bold from the : to the beginning of the line maybe? I can't seem to figure out how to set this up.  There used to be a webpage for help with macros and shortcuts but I don't recall what it was.  Does anyone know what I am tal ...

Setting Up Jump Points In Word And IT
Apr 03, 2012

I need to set up jump points in a document in Word 2003 but do not know how. In other words, I want to replace a jump point or marker like @@ with text in an Instant Text entry. Anyone know how to do this? ...

Where To Locate The Foot Pedal Setting On My Computer
Mar 31, 2013

Could someone please tell me where to locate the foot pedal setting on my computer when I want to change what type of pedal I am using?  I haven't done it in so long I can't remember where it is located.  Have been looking all day for it!!!!  Help, please.  Thank you. ...

Question Regarding Setting For Playing Voice Files
May 17, 2013

I am trying to do a transcription test and the company I used to work for changed my computer setup and I can no longer use Express Scribe to play voice files using my foot pedal.  Does anyone know where the settings are to make it play voice files once they are on Express Scribe and where on my computer do I check to see what the foot pedal setting is?  I have been trying to fix this so I can get through the transcription test and hopefully MAYBE ACTUALLY GET A JOB?&nbs ...

On EditScript-9, Is There A Setting That Allows You To Hear A "bong" At The End Of The
Feb 01, 2010

Is there a keyboard command to get to the end of the audio, or do you have to manually slide the little bar with the mouse?     Thanks! ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

From Below, About 99% Quality
May 22, 2011

slowly sinking here because my quality has always been 98-100 quality, years and years. Now, however, I am expected to maintain 99% quality, on a hideously difficult account, but I must also maintain my LPH. In other words, I have to listen to reports on the fastest speed I can to get my LPH yet maintain some form of quality. The reports go to QA who in turn listen at the slowest possible speed to give errors for not including 'the' and mind you this cannot even be heard unless you ...

DQS 7 Quality
Jun 13, 2012

What is everyone's opinion about the new speech engine?  I'm not talking about the user side....I mean the quality of it's speech recognition.  I thought it was supposed to be so much better, but I'm finding it to be terrible.  There are times when it leaves out 3 and 4 words and puts in words that are not even close (i.e., family history when the doc clearly says social history)!  That, and the sound quality SUCKS! Here's another example:  Dic ...

Quality 2.0
Oct 04, 2014

So this was the "exciting news" that we've all been waiting for? What a waste of time this was.  I nearly fell asleep. ...

New Quality 2.0
Oct 12, 2014

Fiesa score over 99%, however the new quality index less than 60.  I can see the writing on the wall. ...

New Quality Coach
Jun 09, 2010

Just got an email about getting a new quality coach.  This, of course, answers my question of why no emails for the past week from her.  I hope she didn't lose her job.  She was a really good coach, the best one I've had in the last 7 years, and wasn't one who corrected little things like punctuation in audits or things that made no difference in the report integrity.  She is one I will miss.  I only hope the new one is also with a strong QA ...

DSG- Sound Quality
Jul 18, 2010

I'm trying to troubleshoot something.  Does anyone else have sound-quality issues on DSG dictations?  Just curious if I should seriously have this looked at on my end.  It's not all reports, but enough so that I need to look into it one way or the other.  If I'm the only one, I'll hire someone to look into this.  I have no problems with audio otherwise, just work-wise. ...

Quality Alert Because Of Being Below 99%
Jul 21, 2010

Do they expect 99% now? ...

Quality Alert
Oct 13, 2010

I received a quality alert feedback that I had failed and wanted to know if anybody knew if this was an actual audit or what?  And if so, has this happened to anyone and what happens?  Thanks. ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

Quality Audits-sm
May 02, 2011

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen lately.  I received a quality audit on 4/25 on my audit, which I passed at 98.3% (had one icky one in there).  Then on 4/29 got another email of an audit of 5 reports, did not give a total score, but they were all pretty darn good (3 at 100%, 1 at 98, 1 at 98.75).  Then on 4/30, another email, they checked 3 more reports (all those above 98% too).  But what is going on, are they searching for something bad?  Are they doin ...

Do Any Companies Pay For QUALITY?
Sep 05, 2011

I have many years of experience and check my work very carefully, which obviously takes more time than people who put through crap and don't bother to edit whatever the speech engine throws their way. Do any companies pay for quality over quanitity?  I do meet the minimum line counts. ...

Can The Sound Quality
Sep 07, 2011

I've done this account forever and even the guys who were always clear now sound like they are dictating through a wet paper bag, with pebbles in their mouths.  Have they switched to India Bell? ...