A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

macros in Word? - jmomof4

Posted: Apr 16, 2011

I've always worked from home and used Word Perfect.  Now I'm back in the office - one of offices I've contracted with for years, but they have Word.  It's taking me forever, and I can't figure out how to build macros in Word like I had in Word Perfect.  Help???

I just use Auto Correct as a word-and-phrase expander. - Cheap! Easy! - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]

Need more info - see message

[ In Reply To ..]

To give you accurate information, we need to know a couple things:

1.  What version of Word are you using?

2.  What exactly do you want to do?  Are you trying to set up templates or just use it as a word expander?

We all try to help each other, and having more information really makes that easier.

to record a macro - OldHand

[ In Reply To ..]
click on tools, click on macro, click on record, name your macro (it will default to a name like "macro1".) If you want to attach it to a hot key to run it, then click on keyboard, and type in the appropriate field (press short cut key field) what you want for your short-cut key (for example Alt key and the J key.) Then click on close, and type in the keystrokes to record your macro, and when you are done, then click on tools, and click on stop recording.

If you need to edit your macro, then click on tools, click on macro, find your macro and click edit, when you are done editing, then close.

If you are a power user of wordperfect macros, visual basic for microsoft word is quite similar but there are some differences. If you write me, I can help you resolve the differences, as I too was forced to make the switch from wordperfect to word. I've rather gotten over the trauma as MSword's macro language really is quite powerful, but I still miss wordperfect.

You can also use AutoText - different from AutoCorrect

[ In Reply To ..]
In AutoText you can put in entire paragraphs, pages, bold, underline, etc.

I have all my addresses and tons of "usuals" in AutoText - even complete operative reports.

I think exactly how to use AutoText varies depending on what version of Word you are using. I use 2003 and it works as follows:

Type the text you want to "macro" - ex:

Harvey Wallbanger
123 Tiddlywink Road
Overtherainbow, USA 10001

Highlight the three lines. In Tools, select AutoCorrect options then click the AutoText tab. In the Preview box at the bottom it shows your text. In the "Enter AutoText entries here:" box there will be the first line or first few words of your text highlighted. This is where you put in your code.

For the above address I would use "wallbanger." For paragraphs, sections, reports, etc. I use something that correlates that I will remember, such as "tidcol" for Dr. Tidwell's colonoscopy report.

If you have the "Show AutoComplete suggestions" box ticked, a hint box will appear when you type the code in your document, and hitting Enter will insert your AutoText entry into your document. F3 will also. Later versions don't have the hint box.

All of my templates and "macros" are in AutoText, and I have never needed to use anything else.

AutoText and AutoCorrect are great - agree with other posters

[ In Reply To ..]
Hugely useful tool, it's free and very easy to use.

I would encourage anyone to make use of this function. It's built into Word.

Word is a very fluid program that allows you to customize keyboard commands. I continually add to both my autotext and autocorrect files and my fingers never have to leave the keyboard.

Download Instant Text and just import your WordPerfect file - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

That way you don't have to start over making new macros. Instant Text comes with a 30-day trial and they can help you import your WordPerfect list.

Similar Messages:

Please Help! Trying To Put Macros/expanders In Word 2003
Oct 07, 2010

and I can't figure it out for the life of me . I watched a video of how to make short-cuts, like opening up certain things by just a few keystrokes, but I want to expand words, like tp for the patient.  How do I enter these into Word 2003?  Links?  help please!  I can't afford other productivity software right now. thanks!!!!!!! ...

Do We Have Any Experts On Setting Macros In Word? Sm
Nov 13, 2010

My account has capped and bolded headings.  For some reason, VR NEVER bolds.  I guess it isn't capable of doing so!  Is there any way to set up a macro to bold like maybe all headings or bold words in caps or anything like that? Even bold from the : to the beginning of the line maybe? I can't seem to figure out how to set this up.  There used to be a webpage for help with macros and shortcuts but I don't recall what it was.  Does anyone know what I am tal ...

How To Create A Macros In The New Word 2010?
Nov 21, 2010

Does anyone know how to create a macros in the new Word 2010?  I just got this new OS and and frustrated!  I need a jump code and can't get it to work.  ...

Creating Macros And Autotext In MS Word 2003
Sep 22, 2010

I know this is probably pretty basic for most people but I just started using MS Word for one of my new MT jobs and there are a lot of repetitive phrases, salutations etc and I want to create my own macros and Autotext but can't seem to find some definitive answers on the internet. I have been working for over 20 years for a hospital who provided all the up to date auto text and macros so I didn't have to create them so now I'm lost. Thanks for any help or advice. ...

Macros?
Feb 01, 2011

I want to be able to type a couple of letters and have a whole physical exam for a certain dictator appear in my Word document.  Do I use a macro for that?  If not, how do I do this?  Any info would be great!! Thanks. ...

Are Macros Possible?
Jan 28, 2015

Lately I have been getting 60% of my work coming through as letters, and I need to know if there is any way I can shorten the process of inserting the Address, Body and Closing headings with some type of macro to avoid so many repetitive keystrokes.  ...

Medent Macros
Jan 17, 2013

Does anyone know how to go about setting up macros within Medent? It's a Word based program.  ...

Need Dictaphone Macros
Feb 12, 2015

I'm a former employee, now working as an IC, and had been so used to all the macros that were built into Microsoft Word when they installed Dictatphone/ExEditor.  Unfortunately, you can only access those while ExEditor is open, and I forgot to copy them out of there so I could use them later. Any chance I could get someone on here that is still working on ExEditor to copy their macros and paste them here?  Essentially you'd just need to be in ExEditor with Word open... then ...

Are You Paid For Expanded Macros?
Nov 10, 2010

I just recently started on a new account where there are lots of macros we have to spend time choosing and selecting carefully.  I'm not sure if I'm even getting paid for the fully expanded macros or just wasting time while the doc mumbles and fumbles about which macros to choose and all for free.  I have an E-mail in to the supervisor, but the more advanced technology gets in this field, the more it seems we work for free.  I'm venturing that we do not get paid fo ...

Can Someone Help Me With Macros? Dictaphone EXEditor
Aug 29, 2012

I have written some macros to help with certain formatting issues with Dictaphone EXEditor.  However, I cannot get them to "stick" from session to session.  I have to continually create them daily.  How can I get them to SAVE and be available to me even after I sign out and sign on the next day?   Thank you in advance for your help! ...

Editing Macros, Anybody Willing To Share
Aug 24, 2014

I use Shorthand 10, and just am getting into SR.  I know there are good macros for working with SR, but I cannot remember the ones I had before.  Would anyone be willing to share their's with me and others?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Why Are Macros Easier Than Saving In AutoCorrect?
May 19, 2011

I need all the help I can get.  ...

Benefit Of Adding Shorthand To PC Versus Using Macros?
Feb 05, 2010

What's the benefit of adding Shorthand to PC versus using macros?  How do I add Shorthand.  Do I purchase a program?  Any idea of cost??  Thanks. ...

Macros Not Holding And Foot Pedal Program Not
Oct 25, 2012

I just recently upgrade to Windows 7 from XP.  I was wondering if there is something different I need to do in programming things or making macros. I have a macro I use to move around in documents.  I never had issues with building this in XP or it working.  BUT I have built it now four times.  It seems to work just fine till I reboot the computer and then it is lost.  Or today it seemed to work till I exited WORD2003 and then came back.  AND I finally got th ...

Need Help With Macros/auto Text In Microsoft Office 7 Professional Version
Oct 08, 2010

I will start working from home as an MT next week, however have discovered that the software (Microsoft Office 7, Professional Version) required by the company is quite different from 2003 version.  I have used autotext for years when transcribing by simply highlighting and saving to keyboard strokes easy to remember, but the 07 version has several other names for autotext like building blocks, etc, and will only allow 255 characters.  I have tried setting up a macro, as well with diff ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Is It Possible To Upgrade Microsoft Word 2000 To Word 2003?
Jul 01, 2010

I have Microsoft Word 2003. Is it possible to upgrade it online to Word 2003? A company I worked for for a short time did it. If it's possible, can someone give me the link? I looked on Microsoft.com but don't see it. ...

In Microsoft Word, Is There A Way To Find A Particular Word In A Document? I Have 20 Pages And I Nee
Mar 01, 2011

. ...

Help Please!!!Changing Comma To Period, Capping Next Word....in Word
Nov 07, 2014

Is there a way in AutoCorrect (Word 2010) to change a comma to a period and then cap the next word to make VR go a little faster?  The platform at my old company did this automatically, but MS Word does not : ( This is so frustrating having to change from a comma to a period (or vice versa)--which as you all know happens constantly...and then change the next word to be capitalized (or uncapped)....my wrists are killing me, not to mention it takes so much TIME..... There HAS to be a better ...

Help, Please! Changing Comma To Period And Capping Next Word In MS Word....
Nov 08, 2014

Is it possible to do this in MS Word 2010?  I'm using AutoCorrect and there isn't a way to do it that I know of.  What do all of you doing VR do for the CONSTANT having to change a comma to a period and cap the next word easily?  Any suggestions would be SOOOOO very appreciated.  ...

Changing From Word 2000 To Word 2003
Oct 19, 2009

I will be changing from Word 2000 to Word 2003 and have a few questions.  I am not that great at figuring tech stuff out so hopefully someone will be able to help me.  Will changing from 2000 to 2003 affect anything on my computer at all, i.e., will all my other software work okay.  I rely on my PC Shorthand expander and my electronic Stedman's books, plus how about my Stedman's medical spellchecker, will they all work the same or do I need to do anything to make sure th ...

Longest Medical Word, Or Any Word Apparently
Jun 04, 2010

Just thought it was interesting.     pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis:   pneu⋅mo⋅no⋅ul⋅tra⋅mi⋅cro⋅scop⋅ic⋅sil⋅i⋅co⋅ vol⋅ca⋅no⋅co⋅ni⋅o⋅sis   // //  /ˈnumÉ™noʊˌÊŒltrəËŒmaɪkrəËŒskÉ’pɪkˈsɪlɪËŒkoÊŠvÉ’lËŒkeɪnoʊËŒkoÊŠniˈoÊŠsɪs, ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled Pronu ...

Fox Transcribe, Can Copy And Paste From Word To Word Pad?
Jun 25, 2012

Can anyone who works with Fox Transcribe tell me if you can copy and paste from word to word pad? Since word pad does not have spell check OR auto correct, I wondered about that. Thank you!  ...

Using Word Separate But Similtaneously With Word Client 8
Aug 01, 2012

I have just started working in Dictaphone Word Client.  I have Word 2003.  When I open the Word Client it takes my own Word "hostage" and I cannot use it for other things.  Is there a way to separate the two, so that I can still use my Word when I need to while still working in Word Client? ...

AutoCorrect From Word 2003 To Word Perfect 12
Aug 10, 2012

I'm using both Word 2003 and WP12 and am looking to transfer/copy my auto correct/quick words from Word into WP - any suggestions? ...

Need To Convert Word 2013 To Word 2010
May 20, 2014

The MTSO that has hired me needs me to have Office 2010 Professional, whereas I have Office 2013 Professional.  They said the only reason 2013 won't work is because of the Word version.  I remember sometime back that there was a way to set your Word version to a previous version with the push of a button.  I've searched the internet for clues, but all I see are instructions for converting 2007 to 2003.  Nothing about converting 2013 to 2010.  If I can't ge ...

WORD 2010 - Right Click On A Word For Search
Jul 09, 2014

This may be one of those, "well, everybody knows that," or not? In my system: When in Word 2010 if you right click on a word a drop down pops up and you can click on "look up" and it goes to the internet and looks up these words and gives info in a box on the right.  Very helpful. ...

Not Sure If This Is A Word Or A Slang Word A Doctor Is Using
Dec 15, 2009

I am doing a diction of and Gasto Operative report on a patient who is having a End colostmy and Hartmann pouch resection! The doctor keeps dictating the work "parin"  Example:   Take down colostomy with segmental sigmoid resection and low pelvic EA stabled rectosigmoid anastomosis parin 31 mm end parin.   I have referenced this in many ways and still come up with nothing... Does anyone have  a clue what this is or what it means Thank you ...

Anyone Work For Word For Word Transcription?
Mar 14, 2010

Just have to vent.  I have been filling out applications for days.  I know MTSOs can set any requirements they want, but you would think that if there is a very specific requirement that instantly disqualifies some Medical Transcriptionists, that would be right up there at the top, BEFORE they ask you to sign in and answer a bunch of questions (including providing reference names and attaching a resume).  I did all that, and THEN, I got the following message: "Thank you for your ...

Word For Word Transcription In Florida
Mar 15, 2010

Looking for recent information on this company.  Couldn't find anything recent in the archives and really not sure if the comments I did find were for this company or not since there are other companies with the same name.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks! ...