A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CHALLENGE: InstantText vs. Shorthand - Referee

Posted: Aug 26, 2011

I am a very spoiled MT, having worked with Dictaphone's ESP expander for years (which I love!).   However, in the next week I will need to purchase a shortcut program/phrase expander to use with Microsoft Word.

Please explain the differences between features of Shorthand 10 and Instant Text.  Can you copy and paste text (entries) into each one?  Can you import entries from other programs?   What about copying, deleting, etc. -- can you do all that from the main menu/list of entries?  How about speed -- is there a pronounced lag time with either of these programs as you wait for expanded text to appear on the screen?

Instant Text is decidedly more expensive ($100 per year) than Shorthand ($30 per year).  Is the cost difference justified?  If so, what, in your opinion, makes Instant Text worth the extra money?

Thanks for your input!!  :)

Comparison - MMK

[ In Reply To ..]

A comparison is available at link below.

InstantText - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's funny you say you were spoiled by ESP because if you think so, you'll definitely love Instant Text. I've never used SH, but went from ESP to IT. You can import your ESP into IT easily. Some of the reasons I love IT is you can make different glossaries for different accounts. Also, it automatically puts in phrases for you so if there is something a doctor says often, you don't even have to put in for it to be there. It's an adjustment from EP but I think it's worth it. For example, I recently typed a doctor I hadn't done recently and couldn't for the life of me figure out a sentence he was saying. I typed in the first few words and looked down. Voila! IT had it right there.

IT - ruby

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried to go from IT to SH and it was a mess. With IT you can choose your keys to expand, don't have to use space bar so you don't have a short word turning into the expander phrase. IT converts everything very quickly, all other expander programs I think. I like it much better than SH but IT was my first and my fingers had a hard time trying to adjust to SH. Once you but IT upgrades are discounted. IT does a free 30 day trial to let you try it.

Wow! - Referee

[ In Reply To ..]
IT sounds great!

Are you able to import entries from SH into IT?

NEXT ?: Importer Page on Free Trial? - Referee

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all the great responses!

OK, I have the free trial. Now how do I get to the importer page to upload my Shorthand entries? I clicked on some of the icons in upper R corner of trial version box but don't see how to get to the import page. Thanks.
To use the Instant Text menus - right-click on the advisory headings
[ In Reply To ..]

To open the Importer window right-click on the Phrase advisory heading and then on Importer. In the Importer window just click on the Dictaphone button to import your esp file and on the Shorthand button to import your spf file.

You can also look at the Help file to learn more about the menus and how to access them:
http://www.textware.com/ithelp/help/html/phrase_menu.htm

http://www.textware.com/ithelp/help/html/glossary_menu.htm

Once you have converted your esp and spf files into Instant Text glossaries, in Instant Text open them into the active glossary list. You can combine them by including one into the other. You can also merge them.  

A very short guide is available at link below.

Great! Now I have... - Referee
[ In Reply To ..]
That's awesome! Thanks so much for those links.

The SH10 entries were successfully imported, but now I have another issue. I'm not sure where those entries went.... I don't want to use the "Address, Business, Medstart," or "Drugs" glossaries listed. So I right click on Glossaries, and the list comes up. It's not those either... So how do I find the right list that contains my SH entries and select it as the default glossary? Thanks.
In the Glossary menu you click on Open - and select your list
[ In Reply To ..]

which should be visible as a .glo file in the C:InstTextGlossary folder where it was saved when you imported it. Click on Open and it will appear in the active Glossary list as the current glossary ready to be used.

You can close the other glossaries and just keep the one(s) you want in your active Glossary list.

To take a glossary off the active Glossary list, just highlight it, right-click and click on "Close current glossary".

Thank you!! - Referee
[ In Reply To ..]
That was VERY helpful. Good, clear instructions -- thanks!!

Similar Messages:

InstantText, Smartype, Or Shorthand - Which One Is Most Like Word Autocorrect? Sm
Oct 29, 2009

Which one is most MT friendly to use?  TIA. ...

Challenge??
Nov 01, 2009

"We are going to go ahead and give her some Zofran and p.o. s/l "Challenge."   Can anyone confirm this?  What is "Challenge?" ...

Should I Challenge This?
Feb 29, 2012

the doctor said in fact and i heard and frankly; doesn't impact patient care but was called a major error which of course the job fails.  Is it worth challenging?  It always seems like their word is final. ...

Is This Blank Challenge Over Yet?
Oct 13, 2014

So sick of the emails. I really do not care what number our "team" is in, I know no one on the team anyway. If they want to reduce blanks there are better ways - talk to the dictators like they promised years ago, improve the audio, improve ASR, yada yada yada. But no. Blame the MT instead. Silly contest. All it did was encourage folks to guess in order to win a pittance gift card. Hopefully they will keep the 99.5 expectation, the only good thing that came of this supposed fiasco. ...

TTS Asks If You Are Up For A Challenge, As If Working For Their Sm
May 07, 2013

pitiful wages is not enough a challenge. No mention of paying any higher for this challenging account. Pfooey. ...

InstantText Help -sm
Apr 10, 2014

Hi, I just got a free trial of Instant Text.  I used to use Smartype, so I have it set up close to that.  However, I have some expanders that are supposed to include my field markers, which are denoted as { } and IT is not including these.  I really need them in some of my entries.  Is there anyone here who may be able to help me with this?   Thanks. ...

EditScript And InstantText
Jun 13, 2010

We're starting EditScript soon and we were told our current expander InstantText is not compatible.  I have read the archives and apparently others are using them together.  Anyone using them both now?  Anything I should know.  ...

Does Anyone Know Whether Or Not The EMDAT Platform Is Compatible With InstantText? Nm
May 26, 2010

nm ...

Productivity Tips For M*Modal? Using InstantText
Jul 09, 2011

I'm familiar with ExText and was quite fast.  I'm now working for a company with an M*Modal based speech editor.  It seems that to move the cursor, you have to take your hands off the home keys and move them to the Ctrl and arrow keys, and then back to the home keys to type/correct. This makes no sense to me; is this correct?  With ExTExt, for example, Alt U and Y moves the cursor and it had "magic' period, hyphen, comma keys, etc.   I've programmed shortc ...

Does InstantText Work W/Accentus Apex?
Jun 21, 2012

Can't find it on the IT forums and Tech Support is not open yet. Have interview today, so would appreciate the info. Thanks. ...

Link InstantText To Scribe Platform
Nov 19, 2013

Can anyone tell me how they linked InstantText when using the Scribe platform?  I've never had trouble linking IT before, but Scribe doesn't even come up as an option to link to.  Thanks. ...

Here's Another Shorthand Tip...
Oct 17, 2009

Someone recently had an issue with Shorthand and Autocorrect both operating at the same time, and they were apparently fighting with each other, because both of them had some of the same expansions/corrections, so the user was getting duplicate text. I finally worked out a system for myself where Shorthand is used for actual expansions, shortcuts, etc. Autocorrect is restricted to correcting misspelled and mis-capitalized words.If I have done it correctly, never the twain should meet, and I can ...

Shorthand V10 Help
Jun 16, 2011

I've been using Shorthand all along on my work computer and love it, particularly the fact that it works anywhere - email, Word, platforms, etc.    I recently downloaded the trial version for my home computer, but, while it works fine in Word documents, it won't work at all anywhere else.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ...

ShortHand - What's So Different About It?
Feb 11, 2012

Ok, I downloaded Short Hand expander program but, for the life of me, it looks just like the standard auto expander/auto correct that comes with word. I've looked over the very brief tutorial that came with it and I don't see where this will increase my productivity anymore than my current Word-based AC/AE work for me. All those Short Hand experts out there (and I believe there are at least a few of you), can someone tell me how this works differently than what I'm already usin ...

Shorthand/MS-DOS
Jun 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Shorthand will work in MS-DOS?  Thanks. ...

I Need Shorthand 10
Feb 19, 2013

Do you have a Shorthand 10 program to spare me that's not limited only for 30 days?  I just updated to Windows 7 and badly needs a shorthand expander compatible for Windows 7.here's my email just in case:top_v_gun@yahoo.com Thanks!  ...

Are Any Of You Who Use Shorthand Getting
Dec 11, 2013

that message again about your Shorthand license will expire in ??? days?   Just wondering if it's just me ~ or they trying to tell me I will not have a job in 20 days?   ...

Shorthand 10 Help
Nov 17, 2014

Since I'm unable to use MS auto correct with my current platform I explored Shorthand, a program I used years ago.  They've gotten too smart for me.  All I want to do is add words on the fly.  The screen I get when invoking SH10 shows no way to save any entry I might make.  Surely I'm missing something here.  If anyone can point the way I'd appreciate it--enter text, save and move on.  Thanks.   ...

Anyone Use And Like Shorthand?
Dec 03, 2014

Does it work interactively in MS Word?  Can you easily transfer your entries from Autocorrect to Shorthand?  I was checking out Instant Text but apparently now you have to download it, not avail on disk.  I think this means if your computer crashes and/or you want it on a new computer you have to RE-BUY it (at almost $200)...yeah I don't think so!   ...

Bayscribe/shorthand
Oct 13, 2009

How do I transfer my Shorthand to Bayscribe word expander. ...

Shorthand Programs
Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Convert Shorthand 10
Nov 25, 2009

I'm getting a company computer and will be working on that one and mine.  They don't allow Shorthand (or any other program) to be put on their computer, so need to convert my Shorthand to Word autocorrect entries for the work computer.  I would do it manually (you know, one entry at a time) but I have about 4500 entries and need an automated way.   Thanks in advance ...

Need Shorthand 10 Help With Font . . . .
Feb 19, 2010

Don't know why this is not working . . .  I need to get the "Suggestion Window Font" to a bigger size.  I have changed the font to say Times New Roman 14 and it shows that it changed it in the "Suggestion Window Font" but when I go into my report and run a shorthand word it stays small, never changed.  I got everything else to a bigger font except for this.  I hit "okay" after I changed it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!     ...

Shorthand With Editscript
Mar 01, 2010

I know that if you use Autocorrect, your information needs to be transferred over into Editscript.  If you use Shorthand instead, how do you go about getting THAT information transferred over into Editscript?  Thanks!!!  ...

EditScript And Shorthand
Mar 01, 2010

How do you import Shorthand entries into EditScript?  Thanks!!! ...

Windows 7 And Shorthand
May 18, 2010

I have heard that Windows 7 and Shorthand are not compatible.  Does anyone have in information on this?  Any alternative to Shorthand? ...

ShortHand 10 Question
Jun 24, 2011

Can you import/upload entries from another program (Dictaphone ExText/Word Client) into ShortHand 10? ...

DocQScribe And Shorthand - Sm
Jan 25, 2011

Does Shorthand work within DocQScribe - thanks. ...

EScription And Shorthand
Jun 13, 2011

Can anyone tell me if eScription works with Shorthand and, if it does, does it work well?  Will be changing to eScription soon and need to know before purchase.  Thanks for any help. ...

SHORTHAND And RADNET
Apr 08, 2011

Does anyone know if Shorthand works with the radiology MT program called RADNET?  I have used Shorthand for over 12 years and it is my life-line and want to keep it if I take this other account with RADNET. Thanks! ...