A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand Programs - Fozzy

Posted: Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance.

Two excellent ones are SM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
InstantText and Shorthand. Both are very sophisticated, with many functions I've never even looked at, and both have their own advantages, but you won't go wrong with either. You might want to go over to productivitytalk.com and also google each to see how people are using them. SH is especially easy to learn and use and allows use of symbol keys in abbreviations (allowing many more short abbreviations). IT has a dictionary-building function many wouldn't be without. And so on for both.

A question to answer to help you decide is do you want to use your expander by picking the word(s) to insert off a list that pops up on the screen (used as desired in both SH and IT, but especially helpful with the dictionaries IT auto-builds), or will you develop a system that allows you to know what an abbreviation will be so you can keep scanning text without this constant interruption (more system-planning and memorization required, but ultimately significantly faster)?

Both these programs are widely used now and should be compatible almost whereever you might want to go. Compatibility and portability are BIG issues. It'd take a truly amazing paycheck (as in never!) for me to work for a company that insisted on its own program, as inability to take one's expander to a new job whenever desired would be a terrible handicap. (I'm coming up on 50,000 entries in mine.) And you'll soon see that moving to any company that couldn't accommodate the system you'd come to depend on would require a tremendous investment of time and lost income while you developed a new system.

Similar Messages:

FTP Programs
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know what this is?  Or what FTP stands for? ...

Who Programs The ASR?
Nov 16, 2009

Okay, I want to know who programs the ASR.  I'm told that we do, but anytime I make a ligit change, it doesn't stick.  Yet, all of a sudden, on an account I have been typing on for 3 years, ASR starts changing the word stroke to a backslash (/) and this is for every instance.  If this is something our lovely ILPs are doing, I don't think they are going to last long.  If this is something our new USMTs are doing, it's no wonder our work is being shippe ...

VR Programs
Oct 08, 2012

I would appreciate some feedback on VR programs.  Are you currently working on one you you would recommend?  If so, which one and why?  Also, are you working on one you would not recommend.  If so, which one and why?  I would greatly appreciate this information, as we are just beginning to explore the possibility of going to a VR program and this information would be of great value to us in choosing a program that is transcriptionist friendly.  ...

Programs For A MAC
Dec 28, 2012

Hello.  A friend is a psychiatrist and just got a Mac.  What voice recognition software works well with Macs? ...

Cumbersome EMR And VR Programs
Feb 24, 2010

I just spoke with an MT at a large radiology group who says they use different softwares for different studies. So they have probably 5 different programs to try to merge into one cohesive patient record. So if they have an MRI and a mammogram (two different software programs), she spends her day putting them together. Not only that, but before they implemented these cumbersome programs, they had 2 IT people to run the IT show. Now they have 7 all of these different engines running. They got rid ...

MT Training Programs
May 08, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good online training program for Medical Transcription? ...

Mentoring Programs
Apr 21, 2011

Hi.  I finished MT school at Oak Horizons in November/December of 2010.  I also did an intership for a company and after I finished they told me I needed to get a job in a small clinic so I would have someone working with me.  In my small town there is not any small clinics or any surrounding towns that I know of.  I wanted to ask all of you about any Mentoring Programs?  The only one I have looked into was AIM and some of the feed back I have read was good for the mento ...

Internship Programs
Apr 27, 2011

I am almost finished with my MT course but feel I need more training.  I have heard about internship programs, specifically AIM mentoring program (Houck Transcription) and  Online Transcription Essentials Internship program, both had enrollment fees that aren't too bad.  What their advertising and what I am questiioning is it true that they do hire their interns after the program ends?   ...

Software Programs
Jul 25, 2011

I've worked for 3 different MTSOs. each bought out by another. I was never aware of the type of software programs used by these companies as the work platforms were "proprietary." I'm currently looking for part-time work and notice that most all job applications are asking for the name of or type of software programs used. How do I find out this information? As an example, Webmedx used Enterprise, but I have no idea what software program was used to create this platform. How do I ...

Incentive Programs
Feb 05, 2013

Do most companies offer some type of incentive program on top of regular CPL or is that few and far between? Thanks. ...

How Do They Sell These VR Programs??
Dec 18, 2013

I'm assuming the software vendors talk the clients into how much they'll save by paying editors to fix this crap.  There is no way someone would buy into this software if they knew what it really looked like in draft form...omg.  It would not surprise me if the software vendor slipped a few Benjamins under the table to a willing doc at the facility and had him "train" the software before the presentation to the client.  The doc goes in, reads from a script, and near perf ...

Does Anybody Know If The Nuance Programs Are
May 29, 2014

compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1? TIA. ...

Programs Out There To Do The Proofreading For You
Jun 02, 2014

I have a doc I do IC for who thinks there are programs out there to do the proofreading for you.  Considering what he pays for what I am expected to do I wish he was right, but I have never heard of such a thing.  Anyone out there have any idea? ...

Inquiry On Training Programs - Which One?!
Jan 16, 2010

Helllo - I am considering a career transition to MT, and presently researching AHDI-approved MT programs. I've heard lots of great things about Andrews School; does anyone know anything about, or have taken, the program through TRSi? This is the other one that I was considering. Thanks for your help! D. ...

Voice File Programs
Jul 23, 2010

Is there a program out there that I can purchase other than Express Scribe that would make it easier for me to adjust things on so that I can hear the file a little better? Thank you ...

Running Windows Programs On A MAC
Sep 25, 2010

I have an opportunity to get a brand new MAC as a gift.  My boyfriend has an extra one.  I work on the BeyondText platform and remember seeing someone on here had a MAC but had a way to split it so her Windows programs ran on the MAC somehow.  Tech support at Transcend says it won't work on a MAC. Or maybe I was wondering if an external driver could be used that was Windows and would run on the MAC.  Probably a pipe dream, but a MAC!  Oh I would love it!  Anyb ...

TT Line Counting 2 Different Programs
Oct 18, 2010

Anyone noticing differences in the counts of these 2 programs that TT has?  First the MT monitor WAS giving better counts than Ichart.  Now after months it is reverse.  I get the feeling that it is being reprogrammed so we get shortchanged--as usual.   Years ago working for a small company we had an account that gave you 5 lines for the demographics and the hidden footer was 1 line.  Then the big company came along, TS from Georgia, and THEIR program conde ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Changing Expander Programs
Aug 11, 2011

Hope everyone is having a good Thursday.  I was wondering if anyone knew any way of converting an IT glossary to make it work in shorthand.  Unfortunately, I had to upgrade my computer to Windows 7, and IT V Pro will not work with Windows 7.  I had received my IT as a gift MANY years ago, and so do not qualify for the upgrade price, and am not in a position to pay the nearly $200 dollars right now to buy the new version.  PC Shorthand has a monthly pay deal, where it is only ...

Medical Software Programs
Sep 30, 2011

Does anyone know if it is feasible to have 2 separate software platforms on the same computer without causing conflict? ...

Problems With New Fandangled Programs
May 12, 2012

doctor says "I could not place this in his discharge paperwork as it does not come up in the choices of medications."  But if they were using good transcriptionists, and old-fashioned methods, they could put everything in their reports.  ...

Line Counting Programs
May 29, 2012

I am having trouble finding a food line counting program. I have downloaded 4 different "trial" versions and they all come out differently. I am currently working with a company who uses Sylcount and I find that they may be underpaying me because of the differences in software programs.  Can anyone help.  I really don't want to have to print and count lines manually even though this is a very small account. ...

Questions About Expander Programs
Aug 09, 2012

I get a different answer each time I ask someone about expander programs. Does anyone use them? Does everyone use them? Are they compatible with the BIG MTSOs and their platforms? Are they worth the time, effort, and money, or are they obsolete now with most of the platforms being used by the MTSOs? Thanks for considering my question. ...

Word Expander Programs??
Oct 09, 2012

I have Word 2010 and that's what I use to work in but the autotext is awful.  I used to be able to type my shortcut and it would automatically pop up when I pressed the spacebar but now with 2010 I have to hit enter which just slows me way down.  Also they used to be able to be captilized or not depending on what I typed it in but now,  whatever case I save it in is what it comes up as.    It's just a pain and I am slowed way down.  Does anyone know a go ...

2013 New Pay Compensation Programs
Dec 12, 2012

I just listened to the recording and now i'm wondering how is my pay going to be determined.  See my account holds clinic and acute care mixed all together.  So which rate will I be paid and why is it that nobody can answer this question w/in the company that I have asked thus far. I also love that in the beginning of the recording on the presentation is states that we will be compensated for ALL time spent typing and editing to include research, proofing and demographics.  ...

Free Short Cut Programs
Feb 28, 2013

My shorthand stopped working, I tried to rename my file like changing a letter like the instructions said, but nothing works. I now need something very quickly to help me out with work today. Is there anything that is easy and quick and simple that you all know works well with windows? ...

Two-year Coding Programs
Oct 06, 2013

There was a post elsewhere about a coding program requiring 2 years.  If you are considering coding, please be aware that a 2-year program would be very unusual.  I have not seen one, other than possibly some for-profit diploma-mill "billing coding degree" affairs, which I don't think anyone here would recommend.   Please be careful that you understand what the requirements and legitimate options are.     ...

Job Ads And AHIMA-approved Programs
Apr 07, 2014

I have noticed some job ads which say they would consider a new graduate from an AHIMA-approved course. How do certain programs become an approved course? I had a very thorough course that is not ahima approved and would like to apply for those jobs but afraid I would be turned down. :/ ...

Word Expander Programs
Feb 14, 2015

Hi,  I am trying to find out what word expander system seems to work the best.  What do you like about them or dislike?  I generally use the autocorrect feature, but my expanders are disappearing.  Thanks for all your help.  Nikki ...

Independent Contractor Programs
Feb 22, 2015

Hi! Can anyone tell me what some good programs are if I was to try to get into the IC field? I mean programs for downloading voice files, for getting the foot pedal to work with said voice files, etc. I have Word and a word expander. ...