A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

InstantText, Smartype, or Shorthand - which one is most like Word Autocorrect? sm - speedyfingerz

Posted: Oct 29, 2009

Which one is most MT friendly to use?  TIA.

I only have experience with Shorthand... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
It actually works a lot like the old PRD expander for DOS. It is also quite a bit like autocorrect in Word.

The beauty of Shorthand is that you can download it for a free 30-day trial. You can't do that with Instant Text. Don't know about the other one you mention.

NOT Shorthand - been there, tried that

[ In Reply To ..]
I once worked on a platform that would not allow Autocorrect and had to use Shorthand.. it is not at all like autocorrect. I was frustrated to no end by the horrid platform and also by trying to use Shorthand.

That's interesting. My experience has been exactly the opposite. - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
Just goes to prove there's no accounting for taste. :) Or how one individual's brain is wired, I guess!

But at least Shorthand offers the free trial, so one can see if it's useful, without having to put out the $$ up front and then going through the hassle of trying to get a refund if it doesn't work out.

Instant Text can wrap circles around the rest of them - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
IT is a wonderful expander. It will amaze you and it's still the best one I've ever used. I swear by it.

Curious - what does InstaText do that Shorthand cannot do? - I need to buy a new expander soon

[ In Reply To ..]

Have never used InstaText.  Just curious.  What does InstaText do that Shorthand cannot do?  I need to buy a new expander.   I have worked with Shorthand before and found it very convenient, but have never used InstaText.  Any information you can give me as to what advantage InstaText has over Shorthand would be greatly appreciated. 

One major thing is that Instant Text can automatically create glossaries for you... s/m - IT fan

[ In Reply To ..]
instead of putting them in one by one with Shorthand. You can have duplicate short forms and use real words for short forms that won't cause blips on you. You should go to the Textware site and see the overview of the features.
will Instantext capitalize the first word of a sentence after a period? Shorthand won't. nm - speedyfingerz
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, you can set options to cap first word and spaces after punctuation. s/m - IT fan
[ In Reply To ..]
I used Shorthand for a whole lot of years. Another MT friend convinced me to try Instant Text and I haven't looked back. It wasn't even hard to break the spacebar habit. :)
you can't use the spacebar to expand in IT???? Tell me ain't so. sm - speedyfingerz
[ In Reply To ..]
That might be a deal breaker for me. I've been using the spacebar for years and it's just not natural to use anything else. Why would it be set to use anything else? WHAT is it set to use?
Sure you can use the spacebar in IT, but you s/m - IT fan
[ In Reply To ..]
shut off a couple of the powerful features. You're far better off learning marker keys so you have all features available. Besides, your chances of mistakes because you expanded something else are far less with marker keys.

fastfox - mj

[ In Reply To ..]
fastfox is really cool

To answer your question - oleMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The one most like AutoCorrect is Shorthand. I totally believe it is the easiest to use, as well.

one thing I notice with SH is that if I type a word (sm) - speedyfingerz

[ In Reply To ..]
word (ex: patienst - misspelled on purpose for this post) and I need to go back and erase the "st" and type change it to patients by typing JUST the ts, SH will spit out patienthoracic spine. TS is my expansion for thoracic spine. In order to not have SH spit out an expansion I have to retype the entire word (patients). Autocorrect doesn't do this. Does Instantext do this because if so, that would be another deal breaker and then I'm not sure WHICH would be the lesser of two evils.

No, IT does not do that. It backs up and gives you the correct word. NM - IT fan

[ In Reply To ..]
x

There are ways around that... - Varmint_hunting

[ In Reply To ..]
Hitting ESC will keep the expansion from happening. So will hitting CTRL-spacebar instead of just the spacebar.

An alternative would be to back up and retype, say, the last 3 letters of the word instead of the last 2, assuming the last 3 letters of the word aren't yet another expansion all by themselves.

I've gotten used to it over time, and if you mess up, spell-check will certainly catch whatever interesting result you wind up with if you don't notice it when it first goes by.
IT doesn't work like that. Using the above example of patient, s/m - IT fan
[ In Reply To ..]
If you type patienst and back up and erase the st, the advisory will show the correct word and you can hit your marker key before completely typing it out in full. Of course, this is assuming you have that word in your glossary to being with.

Similar Messages:

Transferring Word/WordPerfect Autocorrect To PC Shorthand
Nov 18, 2009

Hi everyone, I use both Word and WordPerfect.  I have autocorrect entries in both Word and WordPerfect that I would like to transfer over to PC Shorthand.  Since I'm new to PC shorthand, I've been reading it over.   I know with PC Shorthand we can use the SHCNV.EXE to convert autocorrect. My problem is that I am at a loss as to what the Word and WordPerfect auto correct entires are labeled or where they are stored in my computer. I did a search and for Word Perfe ...

Converting PC Shorthand Entries To Word 2003 Autocorrect
Jun 10, 2012

I want to convert all my shorthand entries to word 2003 as the in-house company I am working for does not allow any outside software to be running on their machines.  Anyone know if this can be done and if so how to proceed with same? ...

Instant Text, Shorthand, Fast Fox, Smart Type, Word Autocorrect
Apr 25, 2012

Need help choosing a new word expander!  TIA!  :) ...

CHALLENGE: InstantText Vs. Shorthand
Aug 26, 2011

I am a very spoiled MT, having worked with Dictaphone's ESP expander for years (which I love!).   However, in the next week I will need to purchase a shortcut program/phrase expander to use with Microsoft Word. Please explain the differences between features of Shorthand 10 and Instant Text.  Can you copy and paste text (entries) into each one?  Can you import entries from other programs?   What about copying, deleting, etc. -- can you do all that from the mai ...

For EScription, Is AutoCorrect Of Shorthand Better, If I Do
Dec 19, 2009

AutoCorrect seems much easier to deal with, but won't handle long canned text, and there is no "normals" program in eScription I can add long reports to.   I cannot tweak Shorthand to my liking; no matter how much I try, I still have to fight to get a lot of terms to expand.  It's really annoying.  But it can handle unlimited entries and long blocks of Text that AutoCorrect can't. ...

Copy Shorthand Files Into AutoCorrect?
Jun 01, 2015

I have a potential job offer but it would be using their computer with Dolbey Fusion and I am not allowed to use Shorthand expander but they said if I have files in Autocorrect they will transfer them for me. I know there is a way to get autocorrect files into Shorthand and I am pretty sure there is a way to do the reverse but I can't figure it out and I have searched for days online without success. Of course Shorthand customer service won't help me. They just keep asking me why I ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Word 2003/Smartype
Jan 04, 2010

Does anyone know if there is a fix for Word 2003 to correct the compatibility issue with Smartype?  If I highlight a word and then type without deleting the text, Word will lock up.  Sometimes if I type over highlighted text without pressing delete,  I get three duplicate letters in a row, and then the cursor scrolls to the bottom of the screen and Word crashes.  It is a real pain to have to hit delete all the time, and if anyone knows of a way to fix this, I'd appr ...

AutoCorrect From Word 2003 To Word Perfect 12
Aug 10, 2012

I'm using both Word 2003 and WP12 and am looking to transfer/copy my auto correct/quick words from Word into WP - any suggestions? ...

Smartype - A Black Box At The Top The Screen (in Word 2007)
Mar 05, 2011

I just started Instant Text with Smartype added.  Now I have a black box at the top the screen (in Word 2007) with what apparently is part of the smart line in it (it lists the 1,2,3 etc).  Does anyone know how to get that to go to the bottom of the screen under the smart line.  I've already tried smart line preferences and that did not help.  ...

Autocorrect In Word 7
Nov 14, 2010

Anyone use word 7 and know if there is an autocorrect feature with this version. I used this feature in other word versions but cannot find where it is at in this version or if it exists. I liked it much better than macros. ...

Word Autocorrect
May 24, 2013

I have been blessed with being able to work for smaller companies for the last 9 years.I just started with a new company and the platform doesn't support Word so I can't use my autocorrect, which I have been building shortcuts in all this time. We have tried pcshorthand/speedtype and are having issues with the expansion. I so miss typing in Word. Is not supporting Word the trend of the future? Should I just accept it, or look for something that I can still use Word in? ...

AUTOCORRECT/WORD 2007
Jan 18, 2010

I recently started working at home using Word 2007.  I have put all of my shortcuts into the autocorrect feature and this has worked out wonderful for me and I am not looking to change that.  I do, however, need to find out how to BACK UP/SAVE that file!!!  I don't know what I will do if I lose all of this information! I have thought of trying Carbonite Backup, but I'm sure there is a cheaper way! TX ALL! ...

Autocorrect/word Expander
Dec 08, 2010

Hi, I have recently updated my Office Word from 2003 to 2007. I knew where my autocorrect/word expander was in the old one, but the new version llooks a bit different. I am trying to locate where this is in my menu bar, does anyone know where I would find it? Thanks! ...

MediTech/Word Autocorrect
Apr 24, 2011

Does anyone know if you can use the Word autocorrect expanders with the platform Meditech? ...

I'm Using Word's AutoCorrect...(along With EditScript)...
Dec 04, 2014

Do I lose all of my AutoCorrect entries and have to start from scratch?  ...

I Use Word's AutoCorrect Only As My Expander...
Jun 26, 2015

think it would be worth it to purchase something like Instant Text.    But I'm worried that if Word crashes, my computer crashes, I change jobs, etc that I will lose my entire expander file.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to back up these files to move to a new computer when necessary or do you have to redo the entire thing (ugh).  I have one of those little flash drives -- but not sure how to get the files onto the thing.  Thanks so much!  ...

Anyone Know How To Convert .spf Files (ShortHand) To .txt Files For Autocorrect?
Sep 20, 2012

Thanks in advance!!! ...

AutoCorrect MS Word 2002 To 2010
Aug 04, 2010

Hi all, Has anyone found a way to transfer their autocorrect from MS Word 2002 or 2003 up to the new 2010?  I pray for answers.... TIF. ...

Instant Text And Word Autocorrect??
Jul 13, 2011

I was just offered a job and the company uses Instant Text as their expander. I have over 1900 entries in Word's autocorrect in the MSO1033.acl file. This has probably been asked and answered a thousand times over, but can't seem to locate the results: Can I take my Word autocorrect and import the entries into Instant Text without have to copy and paste them in individually? I know many of the MTs do use Instant Text. If you can, could you tell me how difficult it is, if it is? Thanks ...

Autocorrect Feature In Word 2007
Oct 14, 2011

I used Word 2003 autocorrect feature (Ctrl+E) to add entries into the autocorrect. It doesn't work with Word 2007.  Does anyone know if there is another function key for this in 2007?  I'm talking enter "wnl" and it expands to "within normal limits", all done while in the document and not having to go into the tools and options menu.  ...

Word 2007 Autocorrect Question
Nov 20, 2011

I have been working in DQS and I need to take my DQS expansion list and import it into Autocorrect in Word 2007.  So far I have put my expansion list into the Word 2007 program itself as a document, but I can't figure out how to get my expansion list into Autocorrect and I don't want to have to type each one in one by one, as it is a very long list.  Does anybody know how this can be done?  Thanks. ...

Need To Backup My Word Files And Autocorrect
Feb 06, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to back up word files and autocorrect. I would greatly appreciate it. Wendy ...

Word 2007 Autocorrect Backup
Feb 19, 2012

I do this every couple of months, but every time I have to really think about it  So can anyone tell me where the written instructions are on backing up my Autocorrect entries? ...

Nuance/Word 10/SH10 Vs Autocorrect
Apr 01, 2012

Hi. Just hired at Nuance. They want us to use Autocorrect. I want to use SH10 as it is easier and much more versatile. Nuance says as long as it works with Word, then fine. SH10 suggests disabling Autocorrect. Any advice, comments, or suggestions? Thanks. ...

Where Is Autocorrect Located In Word 2007?
Apr 23, 2013

Where is autocorrect located in word 2007? ...

Importing Autocorrect In Microsoft Word
May 07, 2014

I'm starting a new job using escription and I was wondering if I need to create a file of autocorrect commands that I can import into escription or if they'll automatically be there when I log in.    Thanks! ...

Converting Word Autocorrect Into Instant Text
Nov 07, 2011

Could someone tell me if there is a way to convert your autocorrects from word into instant text so that I can use them in emdat?  Thank you!!! ...

How To Import An Abbreviations List Into MS Word's AutoCorrect
Jun 25, 2014

HELP!  I have searched high and low looking for the instructions on how to take an abbreviations list and import it into MS Word's AutoCorrect.  There is hardly no info online about this.  I guess it can be done, but it takes some doing. Could someone be kind enough to delineate all the steps in doing this, or at least point out a website that explains how to do this?  I can put the abbrev file into any form - excel, CSV, you name it.  It's just importing it i ...

Copying Word 2003 Autocorrect...but Didn't Take Addresses?
Feb 28, 2011

So, I did the whole process of copying Word 2003 autocorrect with the support.doc macro, and it worked wonderfully.  Only thing, it didn't copy any of the doc addresses I had on the original computer.  Took everything else though.  Any ideas? ...