A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

question on partial lines - nuance newbie

Posted: Jun 05, 2012

Have a couple of questions for those of you who have been with Transcend/Nuance.

I had a very short report the other day and actually counted each character and space. It was only 2 sentences long, so wasn't too much to count, but the total characters divided by 65 was equal to 10.8 lines. My first question is whether there is pay for partial lines? I looked at my matrix after submitting the report and got credit for 10 lines, but there is no decimal and partial lines listed. Is it kept as a running total and counted as a 65 character line on the next report if it adds up to enough? Have any of you ever asked you supervisor?

Second question is whether or not the spaces after a period are counted as 1 or 2 and whether there is credit for DS? My report was only 2 sentences and it ended up with a partial sentence, so not sure if there was 2 spaces counted after the period or not. I thought I read somewhere that all spaces are counted as 1, regardless of how many spaces there are. I have no idea about the double spacing between paragraphs.

Thanks!

partial lines - good question

[ In Reply To ..]
Would like the answer to this myself as I suspect that is what has happened to my line count in comparison from my prior job. Anyone?

partial lines - nuance newbie

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi all, OP here. I see this post has a lot of views but no one seems to be able to answer. I would hate to think that every report I do that does not end with a perfect 65 character line is just getting dropped and not counted toward my production.

As I said, I have actually counted the characters and spaces and divided by 65 to get line count and the matrix will only give me the rounded down amount, not rounded up or a .whatever is leftover towards credit on that line.

I haven't gotten my first check yet to verify this, so was kind of relying on some of you who have been there a while. Do your lines on your check match your matrix perfectly? If so, then there is no credit for all of the partial lines (pretty much every report) that are not a perfect 65 character line, even if your final line is = to 60 characters.

This a great question...sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and I, too, would like to know the answer. I don't work at Nuance, but my company uses their platform. I have also noticed that the line counts are all even numbers, so what happens to those fractions of a line? I calculated that if I transcribed 25 reports and each report had only a 0.1 fraction of a line, that would amount to an extra 2.5 lines for that day. Say I did the same amount of work every day for 6 months (highly unlikey scenario) which would amount to approximately 150 days times 2.5 lines, I would have been shorted 375 lines and possibly more because some of those reports could end up having a higher line fraction, even up to 0.9. Of course the company may be rounding up or down, but we don't know that.

I'd also like to know if we are paid for 2 spaces after a period which is required of us or are they eliminating one of those lines in our line calculation.

Please let us know if you find out anything about this, and thank you for posing this question.

Oops, misspeak in my post...sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say "eliminating one space (not line) in our line calculation, in regard to the 2 space after a period question. Sorry.
[ In Reply To ..]
Well I did the actual count for a very short report and found that the report calculated out to 10.8 lines but my matrix gave me credit for 10. I can see rounding up or down by traditional standards, because I feel it would for the most part balance out. BUT, getting credit for 10 lines when 10.8 were edited is highway robbery! Especially when you consider that probably 99.9% of every report you do will have at least some amount of a partial line left over.

If I do not get a definitive answer, I am going to email the lawyers involved in the case against Transcend as a heads up on something else they should check into.

I think we should also get paid for headers, but it is not the case and I know this. However, if I am editing lines in the body of the report that I am not getting credit for, then they are either getting that work done for free, or the overall line count divided out is not as stipulated. I can see how this would be of interest to labor lawyers!
Do contact the lawyers - someone just had a
[ In Reply To ..]
conversation about this with them. Ask not for Dolley but 1 of the worker bees working the case. They will be informed on what you are calling about! : )
Are you on Escription or EditScript? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am starting to think there is a difference. I know they are related and I use Escription as a platform to look up reports, etc., but do not actually work in the platform. The platform I am in is EditScript MT. Now, that said, I have checked several reports over the course of the last year and the lines are always rounded up to an even number. I have counted them in Word (typed the report in Word and then cut and paste). The Word count is ALWAYS lower than what EditScript gives me.

So, I suspect there are 2 different platforms we are working on, as I do believe everything you are saying about your lines. I just have not seen it happening at all. Good luck.
Exactly and therein lies the problem - No company is going to
[ In Reply To ..]
be paying you for more lines than you transcribed. It's a racket and you can mark my words on that. Let me repeat it, NO COMPANY is going to pay you for MORE LINES THAN YOU ACTUALLY TRANSCRIBED. You buy into that and think it's "great" you are helping to screw yourself. This is happening at more than 1 company. It seems to be an unspoken and very hush hush tactic.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is my understanding that Word calculates the characters per line based on margin settings, and actally calculates per line and not number of characters/65. So a large font will have less characters per line, wider vs. smaller margins will make a diff., etc. I have asked the question on a couple of other transcription boards, and everyone seems to agree that a direct conversion from transcription platforms to a Word docutment will not give you an equal comparison.

If you want to calculate your actual lines on a document, you need to count the actual characters and spaces and /65. This can be done relatively easily if it a report like a quick progress or discharge note where the doctor is only updating on a patient with 2-3 sentences. I have done this actual calculation and I came up with 10.8 lines. After uploading, ES gave me credit for 10 lines, but they do not list lines on the matrix in a 0.0 manner, just the whole number, and it would appear that I got ZERO credit for a line that was 0.8 of a 65 character line. Almost an entire line appears to have been dropped from my count!

Again my question is - Has anyone ever asked their TL or anyone else whether we get credit for partial lines. I feel like if I asked mine at this point, and given the fact that I am new, she will be able to identify who I am and I don't want to be labeled a troublemaker right off the bat. Asking those who have been around a while what their experience has been.

Similar Messages:

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Partial UE - Let's Try This Again
Jan 24, 2013

I just got off the phone with our local UE office, and the rep informed me that there's no such thing as partial UE in my state (Louisiana). She advised me to ask you all how you answered certain questions when filing your claims, such as "what was your last work date" and "when were you separated from your employer," etc. In other words, did you have to file a regular UE claim, or does your state provide a separate application process for partial UE? I'd hate to file a claim ju ...

No More Partial UE
Aug 28, 2013

Am I correct here that we can no longer collect partial UE because our NJA option for release from work with no pay has been taken away, leaving us ONLY the option to work or take PTO?  How clever of them. ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Question About Partial UE
Jan 27, 2013

Is there a certain number of hours you have to be out of work each week to qualify for partial UE, or can it be for 6-8 hours per week of NJA?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Anyone Getting Partial UE And Working At MD-IT?
Feb 22, 2013

I have not had any lines in days after the company I work for swtiched to a rapid reponse team format. My supervisors have not emailed me about the fact that I have not worked at all. I applied for unemplyment insurance the other day to help either until the lines comes back in, I can find another job or they fire me. Has anyone else gotten partial unemployment while still being officially employed by an MT company, although making zero dollars while employed? ...

Got My First Partial UE Today
Apr 01, 2013

It is in the form of a debit card and if you don't need the money, you can just leave it on the card or you can dd into a bank acct.  It is not much but I am greatful I have it since I am only part time. It helps out ...

Partial Lack?
Jul 24, 2013

doctor dictates what s/l : Likely left thumb EPL partial lack, does that sound right? ...

Question Regarding Partial UE
Dec 16, 2013

I just went from hourly pay to production pay and of course not making as much as I was, can you apply for UE to make up the difference of is that only for NJA?  Thanks for any information.   ...

Partial Dictations
Jun 22, 2014

I think all dictations at Nuance should be partial dictation worktype. Wtih "partial dictations, you don't have to do as much checking of demographics, figuring out date of service and filling that in, etc., and not having to pend and leave comments so mcuh. I notice I'm about 75 lines faster an hour when it's partial dictations because there's less outside-the-report activity to be done. This is extra activity we dont' even get paid for. After all, MTs are only paid ...

What's Up With All The Partial Dictation?
Apr 21, 2015

nm ...

Has Anyone Applied For Partial Unemployment
Jul 17, 2010

Has anyone applied for partial unemployment and if so, were you able to get it?  All I ever get is NJA and I'll be damned if I am going to use all my PTO or sit by this computer 24/7.  I do not get up and do things as I should - I sit by this computer and constantly log into  DQS.  I must be nuts but MQ made me this way.  Thanks for any info!! ...

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

To Those Who Have Filed For Partial Unemployment
Nov 01, 2012

I briefly looked over the website for unemployment in my state (Texas) and find it very confusing.  Did you go to an office to do this?  Also what info do I need to have available for filing?  Believe me, I've been job hunting for 2+ years.  I've had a couple of interviews but so far no hire.  I'm almost to the point I would work in housekeeping just to get a steady job!!!!!!  Thanks for any help you can give. ...

Can You Get Partial UE If You Are Part Time
Jan 23, 2013

Anyone know if you are part time if you can get partial UE? Also I am in california so they pay me four hours at my benefit rate.  ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Knee Arthroscopy With Partial Synovectomy
Dec 22, 2009

The patient seen back in follow up today with regard to postop left knee arthroscopy 11/11/09, with partial synovectomy and arthroscopic AUTO release. I can't find this anywhere, but that is what it sounds like.  Is auto correct?  Thanks. ...

Web Sites For Partial Names Of Medications
May 14, 2010

Does anyone have a good website where if you can only make out part of the name of a drug it will research everthing with that part.  I used to have one ages ago that all it needed was at least 3 letters, but have since lost it. Now a year or so later I am trying to find it again.   Any help is appreicated. ...

Epic - Partial Dictation Feature
May 11, 2011

I have a client that will be implementing an Epic EMR.  Epic has indicated to them that the providers can dictate a "partial dictation" during a note they are entering.  Epic offers them the option to have the transcriptionist transcribe that note directly into Epic.  So far, I have only been able to find MTSOs and in-house MTs who use the partial dictation feature, but have kept their old software platform (i.e., eScription, Nuance, etc) and the provider dictates into that s ...

Partial Unemployment In New York State?
Sep 06, 2012

Has anyone ever applied for and received partial unemployment in New York state? I looked at their unemployment benefits website and it looks like if you work at all in a day you are considered to have worked that day and you can only get partial unemployment if you work less than 4 days a week? I have been struggling with very low work or no work for weeks now. I was hoping that I could apply for partial unemployment, but I'm not sure how I would qualify. TIA! ...

Partial Unemployment - Company With Not Enough Work
Apr 22, 2013

I hope everyone at this company with not enough work is aware that you can file for partial unemployment.  I knew nothing about this until last year at another job.  You can file to receive partial benefits if you don't work all your hours due to lack of work.  ...

Weekly Claim Questions For Partial UE
Jul 18, 2013

I just got off the phone with my state's UE office.  I was told that if I work more than 32 hours in a week, I will not receive partial UE for that week.  One of the questions asked when filing for a weekly claim by phone is:   During the week, did you miss work that was scheduled for you?  Answer "YES" if you did not work all of the hours that were available for you with your current employer.   If I "release" myself from work due to NJA, am I missing "work that ...