A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wage and Hour Board requires OT pay. - yes we are supposed to get it

Posted: Oct 11, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.

This is to be paid at time and a half of your calculated average pay. 

I think Nuance is good about paying OT pay as you log in and out on their time clock. 

It is time we start including OT hours on our invoices. 

You might want to calculate your average hourly rate over a period of time and go by that. 

Here is the law  http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/overtimepay.htm

I believe they covered themselves by stating in emp handbook - that OT needs preapproval.

[ In Reply To ..]
Always a loophole. Putting it down without approval is actually most likely grounds for dismissal or at least some kind of reprimand.

Why do OT is it is NOT preapproved? - Am I missing something here? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Who's not receiving OT pay in accordance with their state laws? - my problem is the holiday pay rate

[ In Reply To ..]
By the way, if you go to Payroll, Payroll Inquiry on AlphaStaff (where you sign in for Webclock), you can see how much OT you've accrued (mine says "Overtime @ 1.5"). That's based on the same hourly figure they use for calculating your PTO.

They moved this from MAIN BOARD - no beef with Nuance

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted this on the MAIN BOARD and the moderators moved it.

Nuance pays OT.

If you read the FSLA laws, OT is required no matter what rules an employer may say they have.

Holiday pay is NOT required by the FSLA.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense (well, not what the mods did, but...) - my problem is the holiday pay rate

[ In Reply To ..]
And yep, I know that better holiday pay is not legally required (otherwise, they'd be doing it), but it still galls me. I'm sure the suits and probably salaried workers get decent holiday compensation at Nuance.

Similar Messages:

Seattle's Minimum Wage $15 An Hour!
Jun 02, 2014

Higher than California's $13 an hour.   Of course, the increase will be gradual over the next few years, but in the same amount of time, the state I currently live in will stay one of the lowest despite one of the highest populations and most expensive cost of living.  I'm ready to move... ...

Minimum Wage Versus Lines Per Hour.
Jan 02, 2013

So I have been very careful not clocking in when work is low because I don't want my LPH to suffer, BUT.....Is there anyone out there who just clocks in and takes the reports slow as they come and accepts the minimum wage?  Do you get "naughty" emails from your lead telling you that you need to pick it up or clock out?  I hope this makes sense.  It just occurec to me that minimum wage would be better than no wage when work is low. ...

Wage Theft, Post On Main Board.
Sep 02, 2014

I read with interest the article contained in the post on the main board because it occurred to me that this is the only industry I know where as an employee, for most companies today, Nuance not excepted, you accept a job and then you, the employee, provide your own equipment, you pay the expense to have your computer repaired and when it is down you are not paid for the downtime, you pay your ISP internet charges (which can be costly if you are running extra turbo charged service to meet minim ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

Does Anyone Do VR That Requires Very Little Correction (sm)
Nov 28, 2011

or does VR generally require a lot of corrections?  Is one platform better than another?  I have done just a little bit of VR on EditScript and for the most part it requires very, very few corrections.  ...

Windows 7 With Platform That Requires XP
Aug 11, 2011

Ok here is my question.  Does anyone have Windows 7 Professional on their computer and use it for a platform that requires Windows XP?  The reason I'm asking is...I want to buy a new computer but you cannot get Windows XP any longer, only Windows 7.  I talked to tech support at Dell and they told me that if I am wanting XP, I will need to go with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.  They said that XP runs inside of that, whatever that means.  I am wondering since X ...

Requires At Least 1 Weekend Day To Work?
Nov 21, 2011

I've applied at Probity, Accentus and RI Transciption.  Anyone currently working at these companies and if so, do they require weekend work?  I cannot find any scheduling requirements such as Sunday-Thur or Tues through Saturday.  I prefer M-F but I know that's out with most companies.  Thanks !! ...

Just Saw That Texas Requires Coders To Be
Sep 29, 2012

I was just looking at the Tarrant County College website.  It is in Ft Worth.  It said that medical coders in Texas are required to be certified.  Anyone have more info on that? I think it is a great idea.   ...

Tips On How To Land A Job That Requires Experience? Have You Ever...
Jan 21, 2011

landed a job that required experience that you did not have? I am getting so very frustrated. I have a job now that covers maybe a week and a half of groceries every month. I am pretty new to this field, but due to a ridiculously long college program, I have studied for well over a year and I know my stuff. I test very well and I know what I am doing. All I want at this point is a job with work available, but all of the decent deals seem to require experience. I just need some way around this. I ...

Didn't Know MQ Requires Credit/background Check
Nov 18, 2009

nm ...

Why Silent Type Requires An In-house Training?
Jun 20, 2010

Does anybody know why Silent Type requires an in-house training?  Is the platform so complicated that it can't be done through a Webinar or even just on the phone?  I've worked for a few places over the years, and there was nothing that couldn't be handled in a phone call with, at most, some graphics in a Go To Meeting type deal.  I just find it curious and makes me worry, like--if the platform is that cumbersome and complicated, do I want to work for them? Even when I w ...

Where Can I Find The Policy That Requires Us To Have A Quality Score Of 99%?
Jul 06, 2012

I am under quality review from my supervisor. My quality score was 97.9%, and my reports are being graded in India from the same 3 people. I asked if I could have some new QAs/QCs because I think they are biased. I was told that was not possible. This is part of my quality review email from my main supervisor. I don't have a permanet TL now: You have until the end of next week to get your quality scores up to 98% and staying there on a consistent basis, or your employm ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Keystrokes - B4, Docuscribe Platform, Meditech, C-phone (requires ULD)
Nov 20, 2009

Could anybody please describe these platforms and which one(s) are the better?    B4, Docuscribe platform, Meditech, C-phone (requires ULD).  Thank you. ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

Amphion Requires "verifiable Download Time"??
Sep 25, 2010

On the first page of the Amphion job application, they're saying that you have to have a verifiable download time of 768 kbps or thereabouts, and they have a link so you can test this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this have to do with the volume load at any given time? Are they serious, owned by a major ISP, or what? My speed for Bellsouth lowest speed DSL was only a third that speed, but on a weekend... ...

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Min Wage, Law, Etc
Jul 02, 2010

I thought the only law was that they had to pay at least minimum wage.  That may not be true.  Just read this on a Yahoo story about the California budget trouble.  Double damages?  Maybe we can use this somehow?  "Schwarzenegger's order, if implemented, could cost the state billions of dollars because the action would violate employment law, Roper said. He cited the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, which he says entitles a worker to "double damages" if an employe ...

Min Wage
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know how long I can remain at MQ on min wage?  I am PT, and as hard as I try, I just can't seem to get a high enough line count doing 90% ESL ASR to break $8 an hour most days.  Some days I just get tired of trying, especially when NJA or in the cesspool.  Why should I bust my butt to get over 150 lph on ASR just to make a few pennies more than min wage when they have to pay me min wage anyway? I have another PT job (non-MT) that is taking some tim ...

Wage
Feb 04, 2015

I don't care how they try to sugar coat it, reword it to sound better, I type/edit a great deal more than I did 5 years ago, and I did real good then, averaged out around 21 an hour, yet I STILL make less with their constant pay changes, my quality is 99+, less than 5% to QA...so tell me, what's next on the list of telling me why I am not making more like the promises each danged time a new compensation plan comes out so that we get less and they take more?  It still comes down to ...

What Happens When You Get Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 14, 2010

I'm worried if I suffer another .03 cent decrease I may drop below minimum wage.  How do we indicate that to somebody?  Is it calculated per pay period - or what? ...

Getting Min Wage Becoming An Issue All Over?
Apr 14, 2010

No one said anything about it until recently, made it sound like they were "giving" it to me, that I didn't earn it sitting around full time doing ESL full qa, got the strong impression that they were saying my production better improve so I can be paid cpl instead of min wage, but can't get the lines with this ASR ESL/full qa stuff. Been with the q for over ten years, used to qa for good hourly wage, now this. ...

Starting Wage ....
Apr 27, 2010

I am considering entering into a MT program with one of the accredited schools, CareerStep.  For those that have went through the CareerStep program, can you tell me (a salary or a range) of what your starting wage is with your first employer? I am looking for responses from MT that are employees not IC.  (I need the health benefits). ...

Wage Garnishment
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know if MedQuist employees can have their little tiny pays garnished, if so what is company policy regardiing this. I have heard if this happens the person will be terminated. ...

Wage Theft And The IRS
Sep 19, 2011

The labor department has agreed to share information with the IRS concerning businesses that cheat workers out of wages by misclassifying their employment status: "The information will help Labor officials target businesses that improperly label workers as independent contractors or as non-employees to deprive workers of minimum wage and overtime pay. Misclassifying workers also lets companies avoid paying workers compensation, unemployment insurance and federal taxes." Link:  http:/ ...

ASR Line Pay And Min. Wage
Jan 23, 2012

I have been gone awhile due to surgery and then I come back to find my MQ is changed again!  I have stuck it out six years and don't know how much longer I can take.  I have a question that you all may very well know (even hate) to answer.  I made an average of 164 lines on this horrible ASR program and didn't even break $7 an hour.  So my question is... By law do they have to pay us minimum wage or since we basically work on a commission does it matter? Thanks fe ...

Okay So Say It's A Wage Freeze
Oct 17, 2012

If our rates are frozen at 8/4, are manager's salaries also frozen? If they can find more money to pay them, can they not find more money to pay us?  I'm not even going to discuss Amy's salary.  I'm sure she gets a "cost of living" increase that's about equal to my annual pay. ...