A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wage Theft, post on main board. - sm

Posted: Sep 02, 2014

I read with interest the article contained in the post on the main board because it occurred to me that this is the only industry I know where as an employee, for most companies today, Nuance not excepted, you accept a job and then you, the employee, provide your own equipment, you pay the expense to have your computer repaired and when it is down you are not paid for the downtime, you pay your ISP internet charges (which can be costly if you are running extra turbo charged service to meet minimum upload speeds), and you pay your electric bill to run your computer, sometimes 7 days a week, and you are not even making minimum wage.  LOL, we are paying them to work for them!  The employee/employer relationship is upside down.  I had a mental picture of someone newly accepting a job, going to the office in a suit, with a computer under the arm, and then when the computer goes down, putting it back under the arm and off to computer repair and then told not to report back to work and expect to be paid until the computer was up and running again.  Am I missing something here? I expect to do all that as an IC, which I was for years; but as an employee, I am still responsible for the same things but with less pay, lots less pay.  Sure, I didn't have benefits when I was an IC except what I paid for myself, but LOL, I still don't have any benefits either if what is offered by Nuance can be called benefits.  How about paying us for all the internet searches, the looking up of physician names?  Better yet, why don't you pay QA more to do it so we can keep producing, adding to your bottom line?  Oh, that's right, you have that bottom line covered in off shoring our work to India and the audacity to have those folks in India QA American MTs when they haven't the foggiest idea of what constitutes subject/verb tense agreement.  Sad to see what has happened to a once great field in which to work, all in the name of greed. 

Wage Theft - NuanceConfused

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure if you did or not, but I also had to foot an almost $200.00 bill just in programs to go to work for them and never got my last check either, was told I actually had to pay for my benefits and by the time I had taxes taken out of my little $400.00 check for two weeks of work, I simply couldn't afford the benefits. At least when I was IC, I could afford to pay for my benefits.

Wage theft.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not have the amount of expense you had, although I had some, and I am compassionate towards your situation. Been there, done that, got nothing in return. Been promised the moon, only to find out too late that it was all deception. In the end, it is the bottom line for these companies, period. Not the client, not the patient, not the employees. End of story. Judgment day is coming.

Yes, wage theft is multiplying - and Nuance is a major offender

[ In Reply To ..]

The link to the article (from the NY Times) is below. Interesting that the Fedex drivers won their bid to be classed as employees after they sued because they felt they were only made contractors so they could be required to work 10 hours a day without OT.

From the article:

"David Weil, the director of the federal Labor Department’s wage and hour division, says wage theft is surging because of underlying changes in the nation’s business structure. The increased use of franchise operators, subcontractors and temp agencies leads to more employers being squeezed on costs and more cutting corners, he said. A result, he added, is that the companies on top can deny any knowledge of wage violations.

“We have a change in the structure of work that is then compounded by a falling level of what is viewed as acceptable in the workplace in terms of how you treat people and how you regard the law,” Mr. Weil said."

(Bold added by me)

________

It seems like anything goes as long as they don't get caught basically. Nuance no doubt have teams of lawyers who first figure out how to legally rob us of income, then are prepared to fight any kind of complaint at any expense at the drop of a pin. We, on the other hand...

I wish I knew some way to fight the erosion of our income, it is simply not fair that they are able to keep picking away and it and have already succeeded in making many of us minimum wage workers. We must keep trying to get our wages back, but I'll be darned if I know how.

Just the idea of filing for partial unemployment seems difficult and scary to me, since I really cannot afford it first of all and it is scary to alienate your employer with them still able to control your work environment.

Anyone had any success with anything like this, or any suggestions of where we could complain to? I don't know about you, but I definitely cannot afford a lawyer, I don't even have a will (have nothing to leave basically anyway), but would there be someone who would do this pro bono? My brain hurts.

Read some of the comments - Readers picks

[ In Reply To ..]
We are not alone. There are other testimonials about how wages are stolen. The most striking to me was the classifying of employees as salaried instead of hourly, hence not having to pay overtime. It just makes me sick.

Thanks so much for drawing my attention - to the comments

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! Amazingly well written stories across all spectrums about how easy it is to commit wage theft and how much it is happening!

Not ONE comment defending the companies perpetrating the wage theft, probably because it is simply indefensible. Even if you think unions are the devil's work, it is simply NOT good business practice to steal from your employees. It's not just money, either. It's dignity, pride, independence and self worth that we have been robbed of, just so they can brag at a shareholder's meeting how much they managed to skim off our wages to make a profit. Disgusting.
wage theft - BOBO
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I'm crazy here, but Nuance, these other large companies and our government ALLOWING these guys to offshore our work is why our field is dying. I think the problem is stateside and lies with our government allowing this to happen. The industry is dying only here in the US. Canada's transcriptionist's still make 26-32 an hour and are unionized, England transcriptionists and Australia all pay $25 an hour as well and none of these countries are "offshoring"--not to India and not to US citizens. AND transcription is alive and thriving there. We wonder what will happen when minimum wage increases as we know WE won't be getting any raise. More stuff will go offshore and they are going to ride us into the dirt blaming our failure to produce as to why we aren't making minimum wage.......and the only thing we can do at that point...........is go flip burgers at McDonald's as they already pay more.... most of us started this career as the money was good and there was flexibility for our kids/families---we no longer have that or it might be worth sticking around, but why stick around for beggar's wages that require an education, when every single job in the want ads for unskilled labor is paying more than our job that requires good grammar, spelling, basic latin and the medical/pharmaceutical knowledge we're required to have. Our government needs to close some major loopholes like these other countries have or we might as well kiss it all goodbye and put a bow on it for India when minimum wage increases. We're so toast.
Minimum wage/offshoring - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If the established line count is 186 before minimum wage, I do not believe they can change the required line count after a minimum wage increase. That said, we all know that your line count is affected by the number of accounts, quality of dictators, worktypes and schedules.

As far as it being "government's fault," I do hope you voted in the last election as "the government" is made up of representatives elected by us. Also, you need to understand how a law is made. The House of Representatives and Senate have to submit a passed bill to the president to approve. One political party has repeatedly blocked any legislation to discourage the offshoring of jobs. When deciding who to vote for, you cannot go by political advertisements, because they are just that, advertisements, designed to sell you something that may or may not be true. You need to check actual voting records and/or why a candidate voted the way they did.

That said, there are changes in every industry. You have noted that you are now probably checking out your own groceries and pumping your own gas. What happened to those employees? I recall reading that UPS was going to require their employees to buy their trucks and become independent contractors. Hmmm. Now they would have to supply expensive equipment and upkeep as well as working OT if needed to get their jobs done without being compensated. (Edit: Sorry, there was a previous post about FedEx that I did not read prior to writing this). As you can see, this degradation of the US employee is happening across all sectors.

Just saying . . .

Similar Messages:

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Please Go To Main Board. Read Post RE EMR. NM.
Aug 11, 2014

XX ...

See Post On Main Board About EPIC Clientele.
Mar 02, 2014

This is quite the eye opener and may explain why a lot of us are running out of work. Part of the problem is the complete mismanagement by TSMs and COMs, but the overall issue may be that EPIC is growing by leaps and bounds. It does not bode well for us MLSs. ...

Check Out Post On Main Board, "Latest Hospital To Sell Out
Nov 07, 2014

...conspiracy theorists on this one! Ha!   ...

Wage Theft And The IRS
Sep 19, 2011

The labor department has agreed to share information with the IRS concerning businesses that cheat workers out of wages by misclassifying their employment status: "The information will help Labor officials target businesses that improperly label workers as independent contractors or as non-employees to deprive workers of minimum wage and overtime pay. Misclassifying workers also lets companies avoid paying workers compensation, unemployment insurance and federal taxes." Link:  http:/ ...

Wage Theft, MUP, Etc.
Sep 03, 2014

I am an ex Nuance employee, now retired.  The 186 line minimum never made sense to me as for MUP it is not the line count that matters so much, it is where you live and what the minimum wage is in your state.  I guess in a state with no minimum wage or a low one, they want the lines done to be at least 186.  The minimum wage in my state is high and it made a huge difference if I got straight typing or VR, but towards the end I was getting 99.99% VR and so it was difficult to get t ...

Wage Theft
Feb 03, 2015

Read literature here. http://wagetheft.org/wordpress/?page_id=1511  I think that these companies which lie, manipulate, false advertise their positions, cheat, pay less than minimum wage, and classify you all as ICs when in fact they require set hours, days, 'require' a weekend day, etc. are committing wage theft for sure.  How can they 'require' anything if you are an independent contractor, yet they blatantly advertise IC position with a Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs schedule. ...

Wage Theft Article
Sep 02, 2014

I read this excellent article this morning (see link below) and these few paragraphs struck me: In essence, the quotes (with their owners below the ____): “The reason there is so much wage theft is many employers think there is little chance of getting caught.” “My agency has found more wages being stolen from workers in California than any time in history. This has spread to multiple industries across many sectors. It’s affected not just minimum-wage workers, but also m ...

Wage Theft -- At Federal Level Says This Only
Mar 13, 2015

This is all you get at the Federal level: "No deduction may be made from an employee's wages which would reduce the employee's earnings below the required minimum wage or overtime compensation." You have to look to see what your state says about it to see if docking pay for mistakes comes under wage theft. As we know, they will give you MUP if you fall below minimum wage, so they have covered themselves on that, unless your state says differently. ...

Simple Question Regarding "exciting" Changes To Wage Theft/pay Plan.
Feb 28, 2015

Are the latest "exciting" changes meant to help or hinder us, the MTs? ...

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

Oh Wow That Whole Big Thread On The Main Board
Jan 30, 2013

Now if we could just get rid of the one below! ...

There Is A Message On The Main Board Here Sm
May 21, 2015

with a link to the Dept of Labor.  I encourage all of you to go check it out and write to them if you feel moved to do so.  Maybe if they get enough inquiries about this company, someone will take a look at them.  All I want to know, bottom line, is if they can legally do this, meaning cutting our line rate in half and our produced lines in half and then further reduction for what they deem as quality issues (which is very subjective in the best case scenario).  It would be n ...

On Main Board There Is A Thread Scaring Me
Dec 12, 2011

On the main board there is a message titled "Gotta Vent" and the following replies regarding coding have made me sick to my stomach, especially because a couple people stated seeing their coding departments wiped out by the EMR systems. Could someone shed some light on this?  I am in a coding class now and I am not feeling so hot....but be honest. Thank you!  ...

All Main Board Posts Deleted??
May 13, 2015

Why have all the messages on the Main Board been "deleted by author"?? ...

Transcend Apology On Main Board From Management
May 21, 2010

I recognize the name used - it is by someone in upper management. At least she is using her real name - maybe she had second thoughts of using Hawkeye - LOL. ...

Check Out Posts On Main Board And MModal
Nov 14, 2014

entitled "A little help from a friend" singing the praises of Nuance and how "you will love it here" and "don't believe what you read, we're all trolls."  Trying hard to get that referral bonus! ...

Wage And Hour Board Requires OT Pay.
Oct 11, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay. This is to be paid at time and a half of your calculated average pay.  I think Nuance is good about paying OT pay as you log in and out on their time clock.  It is time we start including OT hours on our invoices.  You might want to calculate your average hourly r ...

Moderator, Can Post About Minimum Wage. It's True.
Nov 28, 2011

Then all who come here will know the truth about how we should be paid.  Thanks. ...

Sometimes This Board Will Not Let Me Post Anywhere.
Feb 20, 2010

No matter how carefully I type the "code" to prove I'm a real person or whatever, it just keeps asking me to type it again and again, and won't accept it.  ...

Job Board Post
Jun 05, 2010

anyone know who posted the mental health position on the job board?? ...

The Last Post On This Board Is From 12/19
Dec 26, 2010

How do you get to the rest of the posts from Dec? ...

The Post On The Job Seekers Board Just Might
Oct 26, 2011

have been taken seriously had they spelled Accutrans correctly! ...

MModal Has A Job Post On Another Job Board
Jan 10, 2013

The ad says pay per report but it does not say it is radiology. It says acute care exp so what is up with that? ...

My Post On Job Wanted Board
Mar 19, 2013

I posted on the Job Wanted Board. This morning I received an E-mail from "Ravindran" which said the following: i can help u, contact me. This smells fishy to me, and replied that the response was "very unprofessional". India, maybe? ...

Post On Job Seeker's Board
Aug 08, 2014

Be careful of responding to the post by Mike Witkowski - a few years back he pulled this same type of thing with needing transcriptionists "right away" - the whole process was very shady and then he tells you that you don't meet his "requirements" after you transcribe a test.....just a head's up. ...

Very Disturbing Post On The Board.
Dec 06, 2014

As you can see, I have pasted a post below that needs clarification from someone, owners of this board, I suspect.  The subject of how is above my pay grade.  My point in posting, however, is that none of us should be fearful that Nuance stooges are watching or even that they might be able to "ping" to see who posted.  We have a right to express our opinion in the land of free speech.  If anyone of us faces by whatever means any retalitatory action, then I'll be the fir ...

Coding Board Post
Mar 03, 2015

the coding apprentice program.  Anyone surprised? ...

Job Seekers Board Post With No Company Name
Apr 01, 2010

Why is there a post on the Job Seekers Board with no company name?  Also, you can reply by email, but the name is still undisclosed.  I thought that was not allowed.  Who would send a resume to some unknown person/company?     ...

Pain Management Post On Job Board
May 06, 2010

just want to know what's up with that job post on the job board.  I've sent my resume twice and came back as undeliverable.  I got so excited because I have experience with PMs.  Now I'm disappointed.  Any thoughts?- tx, nw ...