A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Company requires "professional liability insurance" through employer. - ear responsible

Posted: Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician. 

HITECT Act - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
From what I understand of the new HITECH Act (expands HIPAA and was made law last year), business entities, and that includes MTSOs and ICs, can now be held personally liable for errors in the medical record. I'm still trying to figure out of employees of MTSOs are included in this. It used to be if the doctor signed it he assumed the liability, but that isn't the case anymore. This is causing a lot of MTSOs to require liability insurance.

I haven't worked for any place yet that requires liability insurance, so I don't have any personal experience with it.

Sorry, that should be HITECH Act (nm) - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
x

So how exactly would they prove it was or was not the MT's error? - ear responsible

[ In Reply To ..]
I would say most errors are caused by the dictator's sloppy dictation, sound quality and/or bad ESL accent. How could you defend yourself if the sound file was gone? I think this is just another moneymaker for a sue-happy society and insurance sales leeches. I'm not buying it.

And how about errors caused by lousy software and - doctors improperly entering demographics? nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I dont think so. An IC, maybe so, but I think - ICs might become a thing of the past soon.

[ In Reply To ..]
Either way, nobody pays me enough to purchase it on my own. If MTSOs try to force it on their employees, my guess it it's just another way to try to for U.S. MTs out. I'd be interested to know, if that comes to pass, how they get Indian MTs to insure themselves?

how come?? - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
Why do you think ICs will become a thing of the past? Just curious.
Government is starting to crack down on companies - overuse/misuse of ICs. This will - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
likely make it harder for MTSO's to continue to do what they're doing to ICs, such as trying to make them work like full-time employees, without employee benefits. If that's the case, they might as well have the employees.
ICs - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
SO ICs won't become a thing of the past, per se, just the misuse of the terms. True ICs will always be around.

HITECH - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
We're a covered entity, MTSO or IC, and the HITECH act is the teeth in HIPAA to cover for a breach of confidential information (PHI) not errors in the record. The penalty can go from 250,000 and up. http://www.hipaa.com/2010/02/new-hipaahitech-act-rules-require-compliance-in-february/

HITECH privacy breaches - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're right - I was looking at this again last night and it does seem that the liability rests on the MTSO or IC if there is a breach in privacy on their end, not errors, as I previously stated, though I supposed technically you could say a cc that is then sent to the wrong provider is both an error and a breach of privacy.

So do I believe its the responsibility of the author or - signing physician. And I also believe - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that any professional liability insurance is the responsibility of the EMPLOYER. If an MT is their employee, then they should be covered under their EMPLOYER's insurance. Just as in most group medical practices, where the doctors practicing there do so under the umbrella of their employer's liability insurance.

I personally would not pay a dime for it myself. It's the employer's responsibility, and we all know we aren't paid nearly enough for anything like liability insurance to come out of OUR pockets.

How about all the times we save the doctor - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
from his or her own errors? I am constantly floored by the number and magnitude of errors in dictation made by some doctors,usually due to overall sloppiness and rushing. I think we should get a bonus every time we save a doctor from one of their errors!

Similar Messages:

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Payroll Company Listed As EMPLOYER On W2???
Jan 25, 2012

Ok, I'm being careful here because I'm not sure what companies names' we can/cannot post so here we go: I've been working for the same company (let's call it company TYPE A for now) for approximately 6-7 yrs as an IC. When I got my 1099's, the company's name TYPE A was always listed. As of January 2011, I became an employee and started recieving my checks via a payroll company, let's call them PAYROLL A.   I got my W2 (online) the other day. When I ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

At A New Job, Can Insurance Company Deny You Because Of
Oct 14, 2012

x ...

My Company Sent Out Health Insurance Enrollment
Nov 08, 2011

for a family plan will be in the range of $48K+ to over $50K per year. The company pays 3/4, something like $36,000+/year,  leaving me  about $1,000/per month to pay for the cheaper plan, $12k a year, for a policy with $2500 individual deductibles/$5000 per family before it even starts paying, plus copays. I wish I could get the company to pay me that $36K to go in the bank instead. If my husband had health insurance, I could go employee alone for $100/month (1/10th as much), but he ...

What Company Is Nuance Health Insurance Thru?
Oct 04, 2012

nm ...

What Company M-Modal Uses For Dental Insurance
Aug 28, 2013

Can anyone tell me what company M-Modal uses for dental insurance ...

Any Advice On A Company With Good Health Insurance?
Jul 26, 2013

I am wondering if there are any companies left that provide FT employees good health insurance?  The kind that does not make you wait months or a year to be covered for preexisting conditions.  Thank you in advance for any input on this. ...

Company Health Insurance Question For Self And Spouse
Oct 16, 2013

What is the cost per paycheck for company health insurance for self plus spouse?  Any feedback on the quality of coverage?  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.  ...

Does Any Company Offer Med Insurance For Part-time?
May 20, 2015

x ...

Does Anyone Work For A Company That Offers Kaiser Insurance To Their Employees?
Apr 03, 2010

I live in California and MedQuist has just decided to cancel their contract with Kaiser which we have had for years.  I really don't want to start over finding a new doctor but I am willing to find a new place of employment so I can keep my insurance with Kaiser.  Thanks for the info.  It is very hard to find this information on the internet. ...

Does Anyone Do VR That Requires Very Little Correction (sm)
Nov 28, 2011

or does VR generally require a lot of corrections?  Is one platform better than another?  I have done just a little bit of VR on EditScript and for the most part it requires very, very few corrections.  ...

Windows 7 With Platform That Requires XP
Aug 11, 2011

Ok here is my question.  Does anyone have Windows 7 Professional on their computer and use it for a platform that requires Windows XP?  The reason I'm asking is...I want to buy a new computer but you cannot get Windows XP any longer, only Windows 7.  I talked to tech support at Dell and they told me that if I am wanting XP, I will need to go with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.  They said that XP runs inside of that, whatever that means.  I am wondering since X ...

Requires At Least 1 Weekend Day To Work?
Nov 21, 2011

I've applied at Probity, Accentus and RI Transciption.  Anyone currently working at these companies and if so, do they require weekend work?  I cannot find any scheduling requirements such as Sunday-Thur or Tues through Saturday.  I prefer M-F but I know that's out with most companies.  Thanks !! ...

Just Saw That Texas Requires Coders To Be
Sep 29, 2012

I was just looking at the Tarrant County College website.  It is in Ft Worth.  It said that medical coders in Texas are required to be certified.  Anyone have more info on that? I think it is a great idea.   ...

Tips On How To Land A Job That Requires Experience? Have You Ever...
Jan 21, 2011

landed a job that required experience that you did not have? I am getting so very frustrated. I have a job now that covers maybe a week and a half of groceries every month. I am pretty new to this field, but due to a ridiculously long college program, I have studied for well over a year and I know my stuff. I test very well and I know what I am doing. All I want at this point is a job with work available, but all of the decent deals seem to require experience. I just need some way around this. I ...

Wage And Hour Board Requires OT Pay.
Oct 11, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay. This is to be paid at time and a half of your calculated average pay.  I think Nuance is good about paying OT pay as you log in and out on their time clock.  It is time we start including OT hours on our invoices.  You might want to calculate your average hourly r ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...