A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wage Theft -- At Federal level says this only - Tired

Posted: Mar 13, 2015

This is all you get at the Federal level: "No deduction may be made from an employee's wages which would reduce the employee's earnings below the required minimum wage or overtime compensation." You have to look to see what your state says about it to see if docking pay for mistakes comes under wage theft. As we know, they will give you MUP if you fall below minimum wage, so they have covered themselves on that, unless your state says differently.

Believe me, they have covered their bases - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The thing is... your "base pay" is 7/3.5 -- period. Making any more than that is considered a "bonus" if you accomplish the goals set by the grid. If you fail a weekly audit or send to many reports to QC, your "bonus" is held and you remain at the base rate.

This is precisely how they get away with it. Fed can't do a thing about it.

Wage theft happens when the error you made was purposefully - read into a bogus training report

[ In Reply To ..]
...and before you tell me it is not possible, etc., there are previous posts on this board giving the supe's initials and listing the two accounts on which this is happening and why. This special arrangement allows the facility to save a little bit on their contract costs with Nuance, and Nuance saves by "catching errors." Fiesa being used as a method for wage theft is alive and very, very real, at least on the two accounts discussed in that post. Scripts read by one doctor or another, switching up right and left, or dictating what would be a lethal dose of some medication, or an outlandish lab value, a limb listed as broken in a preop diagnosis but then not fixed or discussed in the narrative of the procedure.

For instance, if your account permits two errors (anything more it has to go to QC), pay close attention for the odd things. This is not to say there won't be more, if the doctor stumbles or something...but if your facility allows only one blank and it so stands out as stupid and you know this MD would not (has not) ever said something like this, that might be a clue that the facility has a training arrangement with Nuance. Nuance cuts their rate in exchange for a few doctors reading scripts that look and sound like real patient reports. With supervisors in control of everyone's pools, it would be no problem to simply code these differently for a different pool than a standard pool.

It is especially cold hearted and sneaky; I am aware of only one sociopathic supervisor sick enough to employ these methods in order to Fiesa someone right off the payroll, you know, someone who sticks around long enough to develop expectations and perhaps begin to assert themselves or uncover certain things, or maybe just truly is falling short but won't leave on their own fast enough and needs a little nudge toward the door.

Takes a special kind of pathological creep to do things like this while coming across as polly professional. HR knows what they do, and they do nothing about it, as it sort of takes the heat off them, too, not having to fire anyone...they'd rather see these "undesirables" leave so they can send more of the work to India or give it to one of the various TL or QC people who were recently downsized.

Some of the doctors actually giggle or stumble around right before the actual bogus information, some just blaze through; others, you can almost make out a tone in their voice and visualize the shoulder shrugging and eye rolling they are doing on their end, like, are you kidding me?, but then goes on to read hematocrit values exchanged with the hemoglobin.

Nuance would likely say this is a "training tool" to ensure the client gets only top-notch MTs, and feel perfectly justified in setting you up to fail (they get to pay you less for two weeks), or you become so paranoid and slow, that again means they do not pay you much, or they actually get you on one or two of these bogus boo-boos and again they do not have to pay you as much, and can maybe even set you up to be fired soon (but this might be reserved for the people they hate, like me).

As soon as I finsh this, I'll look up the post about this and be back with the date and title of the post. From all I read, this really might be a cause for a wage theft suit. I shudder to think this is being done on real patient reports, I go to bed at night praying that it really is only a script being read and not some real patient's information becoming purposefully distorted.

But I always go to bed knowing I've passed these bogus tests for over three years now, so if it is not happening to any of you, yet, then maybe that makes me a fairly token example of "undesirable." I am talking about three years of evidence with this trickery!

Sorry this is so long. Just needed to let let you know might happen and encourage everyone to read through each post on this board at least one day per week. Just scroll down, then copy the format of dates utilized here to find other dates and pages referred to.

What do you mean by "training report?" - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not the OP, but what I got out of that post - was that he/she thinks

[ In Reply To ..]
that Nuance has "bogus reports" with false information set up to "catch" errors and thereby be able to easily dock our pay.

At least that's what I took from it. I'd take it with a grain of salt, though. I'm not buying it, and I'm no big Nuance fan.

I actually think using the words training report was giving the company - the benefit of the doubt.
[ In Reply To ..]
There are alot of other words I might use to describe this. I have seen inexplicable inconsistencies and labeled them as such when submitting them. It is as if the perfectly sane doctors whose reports you have typed over and over again have suddenly become idiots.

I, for one, choose NOT to take it personally and would like to believe these are "training reports." But, my true feeling about it?,? What.a.crock. Nuance is nuts for condoning this "method." Defies every ethical consideration they might ever have to answer for.
Conspiracy theory - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a fan of Nuance either but this is a conspiracy theory and to me any conspiracy theory immediately tells me there is a break from reality. Just IMHO.
I completely agree with you... no conspiracy going on... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Wage Theft And The IRS
Sep 19, 2011

The labor department has agreed to share information with the IRS concerning businesses that cheat workers out of wages by misclassifying their employment status: "The information will help Labor officials target businesses that improperly label workers as independent contractors or as non-employees to deprive workers of minimum wage and overtime pay. Misclassifying workers also lets companies avoid paying workers compensation, unemployment insurance and federal taxes." Link:  http:/ ...

Wage Theft, MUP, Etc.
Sep 03, 2014

I am an ex Nuance employee, now retired.  The 186 line minimum never made sense to me as for MUP it is not the line count that matters so much, it is where you live and what the minimum wage is in your state.  I guess in a state with no minimum wage or a low one, they want the lines done to be at least 186.  The minimum wage in my state is high and it made a huge difference if I got straight typing or VR, but towards the end I was getting 99.99% VR and so it was difficult to get t ...

Wage Theft
Feb 03, 2015

Read literature here. http://wagetheft.org/wordpress/?page_id=1511  I think that these companies which lie, manipulate, false advertise their positions, cheat, pay less than minimum wage, and classify you all as ICs when in fact they require set hours, days, 'require' a weekend day, etc. are committing wage theft for sure.  How can they 'require' anything if you are an independent contractor, yet they blatantly advertise IC position with a Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs schedule. ...

Wage Theft Article
Sep 02, 2014

I read this excellent article this morning (see link below) and these few paragraphs struck me: In essence, the quotes (with their owners below the ____): “The reason there is so much wage theft is many employers think there is little chance of getting caught.” “My agency has found more wages being stolen from workers in California than any time in history. This has spread to multiple industries across many sectors. It’s affected not just minimum-wage workers, but also m ...

Wage Theft, Post On Main Board.
Sep 02, 2014

I read with interest the article contained in the post on the main board because it occurred to me that this is the only industry I know where as an employee, for most companies today, Nuance not excepted, you accept a job and then you, the employee, provide your own equipment, you pay the expense to have your computer repaired and when it is down you are not paid for the downtime, you pay your ISP internet charges (which can be costly if you are running extra turbo charged service to meet minim ...

Execuscribe: Any Info On How They - Ensure Federal Guidelines With Regards To Minimum Wage
Jan 10, 2010

Anyone currently work for or recently just left ExecuScribe have information they would be willing to share about how they pay?  I am curious about the statement they have on their web site.  How do they handle down times (no work, computer/internet not working, etc) to “ensure…federal guidelines with regards to minimum wage and over-time laws”?  Since they require testing with the application, if you are willing, could you also answer the following, so I know ...

Simple Question Regarding "exciting" Changes To Wage Theft/pay Plan.
Feb 28, 2015

Are the latest "exciting" changes meant to help or hinder us, the MTs? ...

Medical ID Theft
Jun 12, 2011

One of the LA news stations is going to have a special on Monday on an investigation they did into Medical ID theft. The previews show people using your insurance for multiple procedures. If they have a link to the story I will post it. ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

No Federal Tax Withheld
Feb 04, 2011

Does anyone know why for the year 2010 I didn't have any federal taxes taken out of my pay check.  Did that happen for anyone else from Medquist ?  ...

Digoxin Level - Dig Level.. Capitalize The "D?"
Jan 22, 2013

When typing "Dig level," does the "D" need to be capitalized?  TIA! ...

MQ, Federal Government And Tax Breaks
Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering.  Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medi ...

Federal Job Openings In Coding
Mar 02, 2014

There are 34 coding jobs announcements on www.usajobs.gov today. Some are for more than one  position. To see them, search for keyword 0675 and open to federal employees. Looks like 24 of them are open to those who are not yet federal employees.  There are also 11 job announcements for medical record administrators, some of which may be in coding.  To see them, search for 0669.   ...

Letter Sent To AARP Regarding Recent Medical ID Theft Article
May 06, 2010

There was an article in the most recent issue of AARP bulletin entitled "Not What the Doctor Ordered"; (which I received through snail mail);  it touched very lightly on medical identity theft and suggested patients purchase copies of their medical records from their doctors, as well as ask for a list a benefits paid in one's name and an "accounting of disclosures" which "shows who got your medical records".  IMO, that's merely the tip of the iceberg!  So I sent a l ...

What Happened To The Federal Tax Withholding Post?
Jan 26, 2010

nm ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

If You Work On VA Or Other Federal Government Med Transcription
Jun 27, 2014

For anyone who currently works for an MTSO that handles VA or other federal government work, you must have employee status and be paid at least the hourly wage determination rate.  The wage determination rate is NOT the same as minimum wage.  It is, in most cases, significantly higher, and each county in every state has their own WDR.  If you are not being paid properly, you can file an ANONYMOUS complaint with the Department of Labor.  If no one complains, these MTSOs will c ...

Medquist Workers Eligible For Federal Assistance
Nov 10, 2009

WEBSITE BELOW http://newsok.com/medquist-workers-eligible-for-fed-assistance/article/3415214 MedQuist workers eligible for fed assistance FROM STAFF REPORTS    Comments 0 Published: November 7, 2009 The Labor Department report concluded that all MedQuist employees, including those working at home, who became "totally or partially separated from employment” after Aug. 26, 2008, are eligible to apply for the assistance. Read more: http://newsok.com/medquist-worke ...

Direct Violations Of Federal Law Subjecting Disabled Employees To
Jul 02, 2014

Big time. I hope HR goes to prison. ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Level 2 Or Level II
Mar 09, 2011

Ok, Level 2 or Level II. I went back to the material from when I was going through school and is shows as Level 2, however, researching via Google comes up as Level II.  Which would be correct. ...

BUN Level
Aug 04, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of a BUN level as low as 3?  The creatinine is 1.1.  The patient is in the hospital for weakness and is not on dialysis. ...

Epidural Level?
Dec 15, 2009

is planning on a lumbar epidural steroid injection. I am not sure of the level he is planning on. If it is at 4 5 or 5 6, I think he has a good chance of relief of arm pain ...

Chloride Level
Jun 07, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a chloride level being as low as 13?  He clearly says this, but I've never heard of it that low. ...

Educational Level
Oct 28, 2010

"Clinically he is doing really good."  And we are the ones making minimum wage? ...

Entry Level Pay
Jun 10, 2011

Hi all, Just a quick question.  In all your years of experience, what would you think would be a fair starting pay (hourly please) at a smaller acute care hospital doing varied types of jobs?  I do a lot of typing for the actual hospital, the two clinics (one inside the hospital and our satellite clinic in another town) and physical therapy.   I do alot of transcription but I also have a lot of other medical records duties as well that I have to balance.  I do ...

Pain Level
Aug 30, 2011

is correct to transcribe pain level is 0/10 or zero out of ten? ...

Digoxin Level
Sep 30, 2011

He's referring to a Digoxin level and shortens it to say "s/l Dij level".  I realize that it's probably not spelled with the j, but if I write it Dig level, then it's like digging with that "g" sound....would you leave it "Dig level"? ...

How Do I Write This? PH Level
Oct 25, 2011

I now the pH scale, but I'm confused by what this doctor said.   "...her pH remained low at 717"   She said "Seven One Seven." She speaks clearly, so I'm confident she is saying this. No other pH levels are given in the report. ...

Re:paycuts Top Level
Nov 07, 2011

The last pay cut they made to me was with ASR.  they did not touch my transcription rate YET, but I know I read on here someone was at the top of their level as to how much they could make and they went from 0.009 to 0.003.  It sounds like this was the transcription rate?  Did they actually cut some of the MTs base pay to more than half?  This just blows me away if they did this.  I have not been on here too much on a steady basis because I get even more d ...