A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

On main board there is a thread scaring me - called "Gotta Vent" sm

Posted: Dec 12, 2011

On the main board there is a message titled "Gotta Vent" and the following replies regarding coding have made me sick to my stomach, especially because a couple people stated seeing their coding departments wiped out by the EMR systems.

Could someone shed some light on this?  I am in a coding class now and I am not feeling so hot....but be honest.

Thank you! 

What's been scaring me - shivers

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been spending some time on the AAPC boards--there's a lot of new CPC-As who Cannot find jobs.

Can anyone out there speak to that please? =/

How are your job searches going?

That is nothing new - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A new graduate with a CPC-A has always had a tough time finding the first job. That's nothing new. Most jobs require a CCS, but it's very smart to have both the CPC-A and the CCS. You'll have a better chance of finding a good job.

As far as the overall job market is concerned, it's a mixed bag for coders and other hospital personnel. I've heard that some small hospitals are going under. You have to think that before they go under, they probably cut back. The job outlook for healthcare is supposed to be better than for other sectors of the economy, but when hospitals cut costs, it hurts all departments, even nursing and other hands-on patient care jobs.

If your situation is that the only hospital within driving distance is a small one, your job options are limited. You'd better do a little research and see if that hospital is in good shape or threatening to close, as many small hospitals have done. If you have large hospitals within driving distance, you're in better shape, as long as you have credentials, but don't just stop at the CPC-A. That isn't enough in this environment.

One more thing - You need both ICD-9 and ICD-10 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
New coding graduates who know both ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 are going to be ahead of some experienced coders. That's going to be a huge plus in getting your first job.

Hospitals lose hundreds of thousands of dollars if coders aren't - credentialed

[ In Reply To ..]
Hospitals have played around with different ways of cutting coders out. It always has and always will come down to one thing, money. That's why it's so important to them that a real, credentialed coder is doing the coding. They tried automation in place of coders a few years ago. That failed miserably. Huge amounts of money were lost. Now they are fine with using a combination, but where money is concerned, you'll find credentialed coders doing the coding. If they hospital doesn't get paid for what they do, they really will go out of business.
Coders are training in India too - medtranusa
[ In Reply To ..]
I just lost my job in a big hospital system as a transcriptionist just as I was finishing an CAHIM associates degree in HIM with coding. They were looking at some programs that automate coding like SR does. It codes the chart and the coders review it. Also coders are training in India and found some of their sites online. One major hospital in Orlando already has outsourced their coding so coding is going to be affected much like transcription has been and pay rates are probably going to drop as well. With the electronic record all the info can be sent out to be coded. Sorry.

CPC and CCS - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Those exams are in the neighborhood of $300 per exam. I haven't figured out how someone just out of school or someone who is unemployed and looking for work is supposed to afford that. Sure, it's great to have both, but people need to know that there is expense involved. And, if you don't pass, there's a waiting period before you can re-test.
I would consider it an investment - and a fact of life
[ In Reply To ..]
It's just a fact of life that everything costs money. You get the best education you can get and do your best to pass the first time. People do it every day. It's just like everything else though. It costs money. Whether it's worth it or not is up for each person to decide.

For me, an education that doesn't lead to credentials is not worth my time, effort, and money, no matter how cheap it is or how fast I can get through it. For someone else, cheaper and/or faster is better.
It's worth it - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
That is not the issue; first a person has to have the money to spend. You've probably noticed that it doesn't grow on trees.
you also have to - keep
[ In Reply To ..]
Your credentials by getting a certain amount of CEUs per year, which cost money. If you have an AAPC credential you also have to pay for your membership with them. Some employers do help with this, but not all. There is some expense to being a professional with a credential. If you are afraid of the exam fee, you might want to know this also.
Coding is a profession, credentials go with it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is a profession. Becoming credentialed is expected. It is pretty much a prerequisite for success in the field. Right now, it's pretty much a requirement to get a job in the field.

In other words, credentials aren't optional. Professional people expect to do what they need to do. Accountants expect to take the CPA. Lawyers expect to pass the bar exam. Health information administrators expect to pass the RHIA exam. Nearly all health professions expect to be licensed. Coders expect to certify in their specialties.

How can people afford this? Faced with the choice of being accepted in a profession and not being accepted, you find the money. I consider it an investment, just like my suits, shoes, handbag, and nice briefcase are investments.

Yes, I pay dues to several professional organizations every year. That and the cost of references are just part of being in the career field I'm in.

As for CEU expenses, I pay for very few CEUs --you can nearly always get enough for free.

If you cannot understand this, then you're going to be unhappy in a professional field unless you can adjust your beliefs and expectations.

Yes, that's me - CPC-A=no job - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
Would I do it all again - yes. I really loved the class. Would I like a job - yes but no one wants someone with no experience but how do you get experience if no one will hire you. I thought I would be helped by all my MT experience but it didn't matter. I personally would take a chance on an experienced MT rather than the people in my class who had absolutely no medical background but maybe that's just me.

I posted one of the replies to gotta vent - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Both of the departments I saw wiped out were in clinics so I can't comment on hospitals.

In both instances I was responsible for entering the charges and I have NO formal training in coding. In the first office I trained the doctors and nurses on the EMR. In the second office, I entered the charges when the patient checked out using the fee ticket and ICD-9 book.

I was a little overwhelmed with trying to keep straight what was allowed with each insurance and what needed modifiers. The nurse entered the surgeries and deliveries. I think that having the formal training, especially since you're already taking classes, will be a good thing and make you more marketable, but in a position that is different than traditionl coding.

Thank you! I appreciate your time - and info. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

What you were doing WAS NOT CODING - Credentialed Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
What you were doing in that office was clerical work, not coding. Many such offices CALL it "coding," but it is NOT coding. It is NOT what I do as a coder. It is not what credentialed coders typically do. Few CPC-credentialed coders do it, and it is definitely not what a CCS-credentialed coder does.

Before you advise others about the viability of coding as a career and/or about what coding IS, you should be a genuine coder.

The clerical work you described was always low-paying and it IS able to be done by an EHR. It is no surprise that those kinds of jobs are disappearing.

Legitimate coding is not something an EHR can do, though. It is not able to miraculously happen because a doctor clicks buttons. In fact, a hospital would be insane to allow their coding to be done that way. They'd go broke through lack of reimbursement or huge fines for fraud. Probably both.

Coders are the life-blood of hospital reimbursement. We do not make the salaries we do for no good reason. If you don't know how much we make, you might want to check a salary survey or two.

And, yes, there ARE lots of jobs that branch off from coding. Electronic records are enhancing those jobs, not eliminating them. It is opening up a world of opportunity for coders.

Set your sights a little higher than clerical work and you'll do ok in coding.

That entire thread was silly - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
That thread shouldn't scare you. The scare-mongering was being done by people who don't know what coding is and/or who regularly appear here to terrorize others. A lot of them seem to be people who hated MT and now hate coding, too, and it isn't clear if they ever coded.

Please do yourself a favor and find more accurate information from a website devoted to coding, like the AAPC and/or the coding forums on AHIMA.

My organization has been fully electronic for more than 10 years. We haven't gotten rid of any coders and we now have MORE jobs for people with coding training than ever before. Every one of them is an advancement from coding. Some of them are jobs working directly with the EHR, with its data, with its documentation, and with providers.

Please also be aware that there are jobs for inexperienced coders. You just have to work to get one. EVERY WORKING CODER I KNOW MANAGED TO GET THEIR FIRST JOB WITHOUT EXPERIENCE. If you want to be one of them, then you'll need to make it happen. Nobody else will do it for you.

No matter what you are now, get MORE education than you think you need, get MORE credentials than others have, improve your personal self, improve your manners, improve your attitude, lose weight, get appropriate business attire, and get a makeover. The people you want to hire you see lawyers, doctors, and pharmaceutical/equipment representatives all day. They dress just like them and think that's the way business people are supposed to look.

Get a suit, shoes, and makeup from someplace that isn't Walmart. Get your hair professionally styled and colored at a quality salon--none of that home-do blackish brown with the skunk stripe up the center. Don't show up soaked in cigarette stink, alcohol, mildew smell, perfume, or BO.

If you have to, DO VOLUNTEER WORK to get some experience. There must be a free clinic or hospice in your area which could use some help.

In any field, there will be new graduates who are unemployable for any number of reasons. They would be unemployable in ANY field. Don't let their unhappy selves affect your ability to learn and succeed in a new career.

India is going to make an impact on US coding - medtranusa

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.globalhealthcareresource.com/
http://www.outsource2india.com/services/outsource_medical_coding.asp
http://www.outsource2india.com/services/outsource_medical_coding.asp

These are only a few of the sites for Inida and coding. They are going to make an impact on the shortage of coders in the US with the attitude towards globalization and the electronic record. Not scare mongering but truth!

I get spam mail from weird companies that sound like what you describe - They have been there for years

[ In Reply To ..]
There are people who work very hard at finding reasons to be afraid to succeed. In fact, there are people who are afraid to breathe the normal air that the rest of us breathe because they have inappropriate phobias. Some have these same kinds of phobias about work. No career choice is okay because..(fill in the blank). It's all hopeless doom and gloom. Just trust them! Well, I don't. There is good and bad just as there always has been. No career is 100% perfect. There are scam artists out there ready to convince you of anything you are willing to believe. A little common sense will tell you that yes, people overseas will do their best to take all of our work, because they need it and want it. Common sense also tells me that management of some facilities will fall for it and others will not. I wouldn't want to work for the ones who go that direction. I prefer to be invested in quality work, and there always will be people in America who will honor quality work. It's also true that everyone is struggling these days in a very bad economy. Who knows if we will ever recover, but I plan on being one of those who stays with the plan, because there will be jobs for those who do quality work.

Similar Messages:

Oh Wow That Whole Big Thread On The Main Board
Jan 30, 2013

Now if we could just get rid of the one below! ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

There Is A Message On The Main Board Here Sm
May 21, 2015

with a link to the Dept of Labor.  I encourage all of you to go check it out and write to them if you feel moved to do so.  Maybe if they get enough inquiries about this company, someone will take a look at them.  All I want to know, bottom line, is if they can legally do this, meaning cutting our line rate in half and our produced lines in half and then further reduction for what they deem as quality issues (which is very subjective in the best case scenario).  It would be n ...

Please Go To Main Board. Read Post RE EMR. NM.
Aug 11, 2014

XX ...

All Main Board Posts Deleted??
May 13, 2015

Why have all the messages on the Main Board been "deleted by author"?? ...

Transcend Apology On Main Board From Management
May 21, 2010

I recognize the name used - it is by someone in upper management. At least she is using her real name - maybe she had second thoughts of using Hawkeye - LOL. ...

See Post On Main Board About EPIC Clientele.
Mar 02, 2014

This is quite the eye opener and may explain why a lot of us are running out of work. Part of the problem is the complete mismanagement by TSMs and COMs, but the overall issue may be that EPIC is growing by leaps and bounds. It does not bode well for us MLSs. ...

Wage Theft, Post On Main Board.
Sep 02, 2014

I read with interest the article contained in the post on the main board because it occurred to me that this is the only industry I know where as an employee, for most companies today, Nuance not excepted, you accept a job and then you, the employee, provide your own equipment, you pay the expense to have your computer repaired and when it is down you are not paid for the downtime, you pay your ISP internet charges (which can be costly if you are running extra turbo charged service to meet minim ...

Check Out Posts On Main Board And MModal
Nov 14, 2014

entitled "A little help from a friend" singing the praises of Nuance and how "you will love it here" and "don't believe what you read, we're all trolls."  Trying hard to get that referral bonus! ...

Check Out Post On Main Board, "Latest Hospital To Sell Out
Nov 07, 2014

...conspiracy theorists on this one! Ha!   ...

Did You See The Thread
May 13, 2015

There's a thread on the Coding board where someone got her first coding job and got a higher salary because of her MT experience. Finally someone recognizes that we have value. It's a shame that it has to be a coding employer instead of an MT employer, but that's the way it is. MTSOs don't appreciate their employers; coding employers do. They demonstrate that by PAYING for services done, not continuous abusive e-mail, IM, and paycuts.   ...

Another QA Question Thread From Below
Dec 15, 2009

I am moving this up to the top because I think it is an important issue.  I am referring to my post below about looking at old reports and seeing the work of another MT at my company.  It was a VR report that was obviously not edited or just skimmed over.  I will look at other reports from this MT, and if I see more than 2 or 3 more with the same problems, I will report it.  As was said below, it is above all an issue of patient safety.  I am concerned about my ...

VR Person From Thread Way Down Below.
Jan 20, 2010

When a company decides to make an account VR, are all the reports a mess to begin with for weeks or months until the voice engine (sorry if that's the wrong term) learns from the "straight" transcription that is done?  Why do different platforms matter (i.e., E-scription versus M-Modal, etc).  Is it possible for a company to get an account and make it VR from day 1, or do they have MTs do regular transcription on it for awhile? I guess I'm just trying to figure outwhat I sho ...

What Happened To Thread?
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot find the long thread that started with Tracy's posting. ...

What Happened To The TAA Thread?
Jan 29, 2013

what happened to the thread where Poorhouse gets to go back to school through the TAA petition? That was valuable information.  Can't imagine why it got deleted. ...

The Long Thread Below
Jun 02, 2013

I am the OP of the long thread below.  In it someone says that MM has high standards and if you can't meet them, it's your problem.  Well, this company does not have high standards.  What it has done is create artificially high and unrealistic standards for the MT only so that they can find as many ways possible to reduce their salaries or terminate them if they so desire.  If they had high standards they would periodically review the dictionary and take out all the ...

Audits And The Thread Below
Dec 04, 2013

I want to repeat this for those who may have missed it and I am not looking for pity.   Was moved to a new account after 4 years on 2 very difficult accounts with only 1 or 2 failed audits (and was always given a second chance).  After 24 hours on the new account and telling them there was one particulary dictator I could not hear because he kept moving away from the phone, they audited me, included reports from that dictator, and immediately put me on 100% QA at which point I finally ...

TTS: IC Questions. I've Read The Thread Below. Nothing To Do With That.
Feb 08, 2010

If you're an IC there, what is the schedule like?  Can you choose it?  Sam, no need to reply.  Thanks. ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

To Answer A Question On The IC Thread Below, Someone
Mar 15, 2010

asked, "I am trying to get a grasp on the IC vs employee thing but I don't understand why a company would want to hire an IC then?" No one has answered this as of yet.   Why would a company hire an IC then?  Because they don't have to take out taxes, (including their share of Social Security), and they do not have to provide benefits.   All they have to do is cut the IC a check, and then the IC is responsible for all the taxes, including all of the Social Sec ...

Missing VA Thread With Link
Mar 17, 2010

I saw another thread yesterday discussing VA transcription and someone had posted a couple of links regarding companies who were bidding on upcoming contracts....can't find it now.  Did someone save this or can the OP post again?  Much appreciated.. ...

Not A Single Thread On TTS Today?
May 16, 2010

Maybe Monday the TTS MTs and managers will come to play?   Seriously, how many MTs are employed by TTS?  I never heard of it till lately.   ...

So Depressing, I Have Been Reading The Thread Below (sm)
Mar 12, 2011

regarding line counts, pay, etc.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for over 23 years, have experience in multiple specialties although orthopedics, neurology and cardiology are my favorite, and I barely bring home $600.00 every 2 weeks.  That is with me working 10-12 hours a day, 5 and 6 days a week.  I have been searching high and low for a new company, hating to jump ship, but desperately needing to earn more.  My statement to those earning more than 600-800 a WEEK .. ...

Spaces - What Happened To That Thread? NM
Jul 21, 2011

Did it go viral?  It was about not being paid for spaces. ...

Moved To Main
May 27, 2011

.  ...

OOW Main Acct
Feb 27, 2015

Something is seriously wrong. I am very rarely OOW on my main acct, especially on Friday nights.  Had no work in there all afternoon, now 2 reports and it looks like there are some people who are getting jobs.  Either work is very sparse or too many people are in my account flexing from earlier in the week. ...

What Happened To The Thread Originated By The Indian MT? SM
Dec 23, 2010

An MT from India started a thread, and there were a few responses, now the entire thing is gone.  What happened? ...

From Thread Below, Clocking Out For Potty Break?
Jan 20, 2011

I never clock out for breaks.  Am I supposed to?  I am scheduled for 4 hours at a time with a 1-hour break in the middle.  If I clock out for a break, don't I have to make up the time at the end of my shift?  I don't wanna do that.  I take a break whenever I feel like it.  I can't type 4 hours straight.  How does it work for everybody else? ...

What Happened To The Thread About The MT That Sent A Letter To MQ Mgmt?
Sep 27, 2011

It was on here yesterday. She got a typical suit response. Did the Q have it deleted? Wouldn't be surprised. I've noticed a lot of negative posts about different companies vanish from this site. ...