A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Quality and quantity, is it possible? - working for pennies

Posted: Apr 28, 2013

I just got a warning for my LPH being too low, and possible termination if I don't increase them right away.  I was taking time to double check my reports and making sure all blanks were filled in, rarely had blanks. With the threat of termination, I have been trying to focus more on quantity. Now I have been going through each report once and hit send.  I have seen example reports from MTs who have great LPH, but I have seen the minor mistakes that come with them too.

I figure I need to get the reports out as quickly as possible now.  I have also figured that since it is all about production that I will get in trouble with QA/QC with more errors.  I feel screwed either way with Nuance. All I know is I had a perfectionist attitude and that is not going to work.  I am feeling like I will be fired for not enough lines per hour or too many errors from speeding through reports.

After 14 years of doing this I am just now finding out I suck at it.Embarassed    

LPH - mesuckatittoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you on this. I found out I suck after 12+ years. All I can say is they get what they pay for. They want to pay 0.04 and have volume they are not going to get quality work because we can't afford to give it to them!

Hey me too, 14+ years and apparently I suck as well. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on an account with 99% ESL and getting line count is HARD. I don't even see how to go faster on this account without getting critical errors by the boatload.

It is a lose-lose at this place, for me at least.

I have been doing it 2 years and I suck too - MTgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
So I just leave blanks for everything that isn't clearly heard, especially lab values. My blanks are up to 14% because of the quality of the reports I get. When I had incentive, this was 5%. Don't pay me, I am not giving you quality you want.

YOU don't suck at MT. The COMPANY sucks - at MT. The balance between - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
quality and quantity is a delicate one, but a good company should always lean towards quality. Some of them did, back in the day.

But greed has changed all that. Greed, and complete ignorance as to what is actually involved in transcribing medical records.

Now it's becoming quite clear that most MT companies are so invested in their offshore operations that they can't dump their US workforce fast enough. They've made it impossible for us to succeed in this job anymore, and I think, although the rise of "required" line counts and the percentage of accuracy was originally greed-generated, that it's now just a tool to get rid of their remaining US MTs.

I think the low pay, and the recent jumps in the minimum LPH these scum want us to produce on a daily basis, are in place for one main purpose these days, and that is to either force US MTs to quit in utter frustration, or to give the MTSO a "reason" to terminate the MT. The fact that the offshore workers aren't held to these same standards, and at the same time receive better (relatively speaking) pay, plus perks and bonuses that we've never gotten, EVER, and it's so blatantly obvious what they're doing, that it would be laughable if it weren't having such a devastating effect on the income and the psyche of the American medical transcriptionist.

Karma will undoubtedly come back and slap down the owners and management of these morally bankrupt companies, but it's unlikely it'll happen in time to help any of us out. But I'm looking forward to that payback day, because when it finally comes, it'll do a lot of American MT hearts a LOT of good.

I agree!! - Disappointed transcriber

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, in my sleepy stupor I accidentally hit dislike which I apologize for now!! Second, I worked for a company 7 years ago that I couldn't praise enough!!! They, unfortunately, were bought out after a few years and started to go down hill. A little over a year ago they were bought out by MModal and since almost the first day, I felt as though they no longer cared for their workers. It seemed the only time you heard from your supervisor was when you had done something wrong. Communication just seemed to almost shut down. My entire medical transcription career, almost 7 years, was spent with the same people. In my last year it became clear that they were trying to 'nudge me out', trying to get me to quit basically. I, having 4 children, one who is autistic, and a new husband, very much needed my job so I held on. On the day that I emailed my supervisor to tell her I needed a Friday off for my grandmother's funeral, she then emailed me back telling me she needed to call me. She then let me know that my position had been eliminated that day and it was my last working day and my services were no longer needed.....but she was sorry about my grandmother. I just want to say that I think very low of this company and I do not and would not ever recommend this company to any MT. The way that I was made to feel since the buyout was horrible. I felt that I was a number, not a person and that no matter what was going on in my life, including a death in my family, was of no regard to them. I am right now trying to find a better company and I hope that all companies have not turned into what MModal is. I long for the days of Spheris, my first company!!!

^ LOL! I just thought the dislike was from a suit! - Loved your post. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I feel your pain - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel I have had to make the same choice. I am not happy about making mistakes but mistakes are going to happen especially when constantly going from doctor to doctor, specialty to specialty, location to location with no consistency in my workload. I have heard that you can get fired for low LPH but was told you would not for low quality, just "mentored"

I guess I suck at it now, too!!

After DECADES as an MT, I too feel worthless - Lily

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for 30 years. Yup, 30. It's so beneath my dignity to be called out and deducted for such minor errors as "THE" hemoglobin" when the doctor said "HER" hemoglobin in an accent that sounds more like Martian than anything heard on this planet. After a very short time, I'm starting to realize that it's an inherently impossible situation. Are there any good MT employers left? If there are, how long will they be able to resist takeover? It's a sad state of affairs, and I'm seriously worried.

I guess I suck too.

Worthless - Chavera

[ In Reply To ..]
It is beyond belief that I also have become worthless in just the past few months. Something is seriously wrong! I have always been a cheerleader for this company, but I am now entering my second 3-month period of not qualifying for incentive and having all kinds of issues with FIESA. I have begun doing affirmations to myself that I am worthwhile, I am a good MLS, etc., and am hoping for a fresh start and possibly getting above 97% again. We can always hope. This just cannot continue.

me too - tiredofit

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MLS for 25 years and have been a team lead as well .. and I am now making over $1000 a month less than I was a year ago at this time because of all of the changes in requirements and rules. That's the goal for this company I am afraid - they want to hire in newbies with no experience and pay them very little to do the job we have been doing for so long, so they don't have to pay us what they did before.

we all suck - workhorse

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently WE ALL SUCK!! That's how the company wants us to view ourselves so we accept their pennies and deductions and don't stir the pot. I say THEY SUCK. I can hardly wait for the day to be done with them. Use to absolutely love my work. It was fun and it paid well. Now? Not so much.

LPH too low - Same thing happened to me

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told the same thing. I tried to boost my line count but my quality suffered horribly, so I am back to doing it right, expecting to get fired shortly. I am actually glad this happened. I have known that I need to find another job since the company I worked for was sold to MModal, and things have going gradually going downhill ever since, but I just kept putting the job search off thinking maybe it might get better but now I know I have to knuckle down and find another job. I have had a couple of good interviews this last week, and now that I am out there and really looking, I am gaining some confidence about this. And don't feel bad about being told you are no good at this job after 14 years, I have been doing it for nearly 30 years.

Thank you all for letting me know I am not alone. - working for pennies

[ In Reply To ..]
I keep thinking somehow maybe this week will be better than the last, even though it has not worked out that way for me yet. Thanks again for your posts.

Similar Messages:

QA Quantity Linked To Incentive
Apr 30, 2013

It really troubles me that the QA percentage is linked to incentive.  How can that NOT be causing MLS to just guess sometimes, rather than sending "non-crucial" blanks to QA.  Sometimes I wonder if this company's customers know about this connection (i.e, the company saving money on incentive by discouraging QA of the customers' reports). ...

Speech Recognition Quantity Standards
May 01, 2014

I am very interested in learning what the different 'guidelines' or 'requirements' are for those of you now doing SR editing.  What is the minimum line count you are expected to have and is that reasonable?  Thanks!!! ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

From Below, About 99% Quality
May 22, 2011

slowly sinking here because my quality has always been 98-100 quality, years and years. Now, however, I am expected to maintain 99% quality, on a hideously difficult account, but I must also maintain my LPH. In other words, I have to listen to reports on the fastest speed I can to get my LPH yet maintain some form of quality. The reports go to QA who in turn listen at the slowest possible speed to give errors for not including 'the' and mind you this cannot even be heard unless you ...

DQS 7 Quality
Jun 13, 2012

What is everyone's opinion about the new speech engine?  I'm not talking about the user side....I mean the quality of it's speech recognition.  I thought it was supposed to be so much better, but I'm finding it to be terrible.  There are times when it leaves out 3 and 4 words and puts in words that are not even close (i.e., family history when the doc clearly says social history)!  That, and the sound quality SUCKS! Here's another example:  Dic ...

Quality 2.0
Oct 04, 2014

So this was the "exciting news" that we've all been waiting for? What a waste of time this was.  I nearly fell asleep. ...

New Quality 2.0
Oct 12, 2014

Fiesa score over 99%, however the new quality index less than 60.  I can see the writing on the wall. ...

New Quality Coach
Jun 09, 2010

Just got an email about getting a new quality coach.  This, of course, answers my question of why no emails for the past week from her.  I hope she didn't lose her job.  She was a really good coach, the best one I've had in the last 7 years, and wasn't one who corrected little things like punctuation in audits or things that made no difference in the report integrity.  She is one I will miss.  I only hope the new one is also with a strong QA ...

DSG- Sound Quality
Jul 18, 2010

I'm trying to troubleshoot something.  Does anyone else have sound-quality issues on DSG dictations?  Just curious if I should seriously have this looked at on my end.  It's not all reports, but enough so that I need to look into it one way or the other.  If I'm the only one, I'll hire someone to look into this.  I have no problems with audio otherwise, just work-wise. ...

Quality Alert Because Of Being Below 99%
Jul 21, 2010

Do they expect 99% now? ...

Quality Alert
Oct 13, 2010

I received a quality alert feedback that I had failed and wanted to know if anybody knew if this was an actual audit or what?  And if so, has this happened to anyone and what happens?  Thanks. ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

Quality Audits-sm
May 02, 2011

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen lately.  I received a quality audit on 4/25 on my audit, which I passed at 98.3% (had one icky one in there).  Then on 4/29 got another email of an audit of 5 reports, did not give a total score, but they were all pretty darn good (3 at 100%, 1 at 98, 1 at 98.75).  Then on 4/30, another email, they checked 3 more reports (all those above 98% too).  But what is going on, are they searching for something bad?  Are they doin ...

Do Any Companies Pay For QUALITY?
Sep 05, 2011

I have many years of experience and check my work very carefully, which obviously takes more time than people who put through crap and don't bother to edit whatever the speech engine throws their way. Do any companies pay for quality over quanitity?  I do meet the minimum line counts. ...

Can The Sound Quality
Sep 07, 2011

I've done this account forever and even the guys who were always clear now sound like they are dictating through a wet paper bag, with pebbles in their mouths.  Have they switched to India Bell? ...

Quality Training
Sep 21, 2011

I have seen on this board how important quality training is.  I have also seen the Andrews School mentioned.  Can anyone else offer any information, good or bad, regarding training programs so us wannabe's dont make a mistake selecting a program?  Any that you woul recommend taking or staying away from? Thanks ...

Dictation Quality
Jul 17, 2012

Why is it always the massively long jobs that have to have horrible dictation quality or horrible dictation?!? M*Modal's dictation system leaves something to be desired under the best of circumstances, but it always seems the long ones are particularly awful, or maybe that's just my luck! :( ...

I Don't Think MModal Wants Quality From Its MTs
Feb 20, 2012

When the clients then complain, I can just see them pushing their EPIC or whatever fast-food medical record software they have and saying, "see, our software has less errors than the transcriptionists."  ...

Quality Bar Setting
Mar 10, 2012

Just read an article in the AARP Bulletin that 1 in 7 Medicare patients died or were harmed by their hospital care and the number of patients who die each year from preventable hospital errors is equal to 4 full jumbo jets crashing EACH WEEK.  They can't figure out what to do about it.  Maybe auditing the employees like crazy and holding them to a 99% accuracy standard and cutting their pay 50% if they don't meet it like MMMMMModal/Q?  Sure seems to work for me :) ...

How Can They Preach Quality When They
Oct 15, 2012

What a joke. ...

Acceptable Quality Now 99.3?
Dec 11, 2012

they raised the bar again? 99 was impossible now it has to be 99.3? ...

Quality Essay
May 01, 2013

Is anyone having a problem coming up with words to write up a quality essay? They gave us the outline and everything, but they mention all their great tools, and I think of the report look up with all the errors, and think... Is this the quality you wanted?   I wanted to mention that penalizing us for QA use promotes poor quality, that putting us on a gazillion accounts promotes poor quality!   I guess I am just feeling to crabby today to write an essay. I just wish they did a ra ...

Is There No Standard Of Quality In QA?
Sep 17, 2013

i am on 100% QA and am constantly confused.  I am corrected for things, ask my coach.  She tells me QA is correct.  Then when I change it how she says to I get it changed back to the way I was doing it before~!  I love Fluency, i am amazingly fast at it but i think QA will ultimately do me in...for doing what i'm told to do...GRRRRR ...

Quality Improvement IQ, Anyone?
Sep 26, 2013

OMG, what a waste of time.  It is as if they have finally now just discovered what we have have been dealing with all our professional  lives (and what they cannot manage to do correctly themselves). did you catch it?  duh. ...

QC Quality Corruption
Nov 16, 2013

I had to pend a report for multiple blanks (bad dictator with bad audio).  One of the blanks was for a drug, and I had a hunch what it was, but wasn't about to take a chance.  Checked FIESA.  QC dinged me .25 point for leaving a blank for the drug name they figured I should have got.   THEY filled in the blank with the drug name and misspelled it!  If I, on the other hand, had misspelled it, it would have been a critical 3-point error for me.   Go figure. ...

They Pay Us To Take A Quality Improvement Course
Nov 17, 2013

and then send us work comprised of reports from a different facility each time you download.  All these years and they still can't figure out that quality work comes from knowing your dictators and knowing your facility.  One has to wonder about the IQ's of management personnel. ...

Quality Getting Worse?
Jan 22, 2014

I had some horrible reports lately! I had one today that was horrid that I know will get me a big fat FIESA report! Also a few others that were really bad. Has anyone else noticed this? ...

Quality Audits . . .
May 22, 2014

99.7%???  Why don't they just make it 100% and get it over with?  Then they can get rid of everybody. ...

Trying To Do The Quality Improvement Course
May 26, 2014

I am trying to find the quality improvement course and can't find it in the mmodal intranet site.  It says to find POPULAR LINKS portlet then quality improvement but I can't even find the popular links portlet.  ARRGGGGHHHH! Anyone that has taken this before, can you please help me? ...