A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Instead of doing complicated thing as organizing a whole - profession, who dont all MTs just SM

Posted: Jan 29, 2011

first do something simple, like learing how you get paid, what you are and are not paid for. Most seem not even able or willing to do that. How does any expect them to come together for the good of the profession when they cant even take the time and trouble to manage their own finances.

And how can any organize for higher wages when most have no - idea how they are paid. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yikes - are you kidding

[ In Reply To ..]
Many have attempted to do just that and seem to get discouraged because it is in some instances very difficult to figure out and very difficult to get any answers on. When they ask questions, they get no answer or circular answers that are not answers.

This will come to an end in pleasant or not so pleasant ways for some of those involved, mark my words.

So the 1st time you get a circular answer, you back down? - How can it be expected that

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs will organize when they back down the first circular answer they get? If you dont have a backbone when it comes to knowing how you are paid, how do you expect to have a backbone to stand up to bad treatment by MTSO?

Yikes - are you kidding again

[ In Reply To ..]
As i said, This will come to an end in pleasant or not so pleasant ways for some of those involved, mark my words, IN THE NEAR VAGUELY DISTANT FUTURE.

I don't know about you, but I know EXACTLY what - Im paid for, and how much. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And I know whever EVERY PENNY I own is, as well. (Probably because I don't have very many of them to keep track of, in the first place).

My employer recently started gypping us on lines by sneaking in a new way of entering certain parts of each report. It takes longer. It doesn't make sense. That is, not until you do the math and realize you're not getting paid for those entries any longer. Their special software serves no other purpose than to cheat us out of 10-15 lines per page of type.

No, I know exactly what's going on, and how much it's costing me. Why am I still there, you ask? Only because I haven't landed another job, yet. It[ll happen. All in good time.

Maybe this is why many dont want to know how they are paid. - Then you have to deal with reality of it. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is easier to stay in this profession if you can tell yourself you are getting paid for all the work you do. Many would be surprised to find out what all you dont get paid for.

i thought i did better than it turns out my W2 - said i did. i thought i was - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
doing at least a little bit better than that! :(

i guess what's happening is i'm getting better at getting by on next to nothing.

now, if only i could learn to spin flax into gold......
Why did it take your W2 to find out? Maybe a good idea to - track it closer throughout the year. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Actually, I was tracking it. That's what I don't get. - s/msg
[ In Reply To ..]
There seem to be a couple thousand dollars "missing". My calculations were that I made $22,000 this year, AFTER taxes and insurance premiums. Yet on their W2, it says $20,000 before taxes. Could it be that they're under-reporting their own income?
You should call them and have them explain it to you - in such a way you can understand. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...

Unfortunately, Her S/L HYPAC Was Complicated By Renal Failure.
Nov 16, 2009

patient with ovarian cancer, renal failure and history of breast cancer.     She was treated initially with chemotherapy and subsequently underwent surgery and HYPAC.  Unfortunately, her HYPAC was complicated by renal failure.  She required dialysis in the hospital. ...

I Just Downloaded Instant Text - Seems Extremely Complicated -
Aug 24, 2010

I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years, all of which has been on Dictaphone EXText and now EXEditor.  Why does my ESP in Dictaphone keep interfering? If I use an expansion and hit spacebar the ESP windows comes up, which makes no sense because ESP uses ctrl-ctrl to open?  And how on earth do you learn it all?  How will it benefit me after using thousands of ESPs daily.    Help!   ...

"Pregnancy Was Complicated By S/l *trick* Which Was Treated*?? N/m
Oct 12, 2011

nm ...

" The More Complicated You Can Make Any Financial Transaction, Ip Off A Consumer" --Rober
Jan 23, 2015

I came across this quote from Robert Bell (not sure who that is but doesn't matter)-- and I thought INSTANTLY of Nuance.  They really DO know what they are doing!! ...

On Chemo. Complicated By S/l "a Mill I Ca" Bacteria Infection.
Jun 29, 2011

?? ...

One More Thing!
Mar 11, 2010

Just one more thought.  I have never, ever, known anyone who has left Medquist or Spheris and regretted it.  They may bounce back and forth just to get by, but in the long run, when they are finally finished, they are finished.  For all of those MTs who don't want to start over, please don't take that attitude.  I did and it only got worse and when I did change it wasn't that bad at all.  Again, could it get any worse?  ...

And Another Thing...........
Mar 15, 2010

Not that I'm not glad it was an increase rather than a pay cut, but I think for a lot of us this "raise" is going to just even us out for when he start getting docked pay April 1.  Funny that this "raise" is starting April 1, isn't it?  ...

I Did The Right Thing It Seems
May 02, 2010

Now I know I did the right thing in not only leaving the Q but leaving the field altogether.  I had another physical last week and my blood pressure was back down to 120/70, and my doctor was very happy when he learned I had quit. They wasted no time in sending me labels to ship the computer back, though.  Oh well.. they don't want the monitor, or mouse, or keyboard, so I'm keeping those! ...

Is L5 On S1 The Same Thing As L5-S1
Dec 30, 2010

In half the report the doc says L5-S1, the other half he says L5 on S1.  Is this the same thing?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Do That PSA Thing?
May 12, 2011

I clicked on each of the highlighted areas in the e-mail, but where do you go to set this up? I must be needing more coffee or something.  I just dont get it.  Read it 3 times now. ...

I Tell You One Thing That I Know For Certain
Jun 17, 2013

If this dictator says, "peeeeeeeeeeeeriod" one more flippin time, I am going to scream as loud as I possibly can and then punch the daylights out of this monitor! ...

Is There Such A Thing As
Jul 13, 2013

Urine welkenton?  Not sure of spelling, since I'm not sure it's really a word.  They could also be saying welkington.  That's what the dictation sounds like and I've listened to it several times on numerous days.  Can't find a reference to it anywhere and I've tried many variations.  Wondering if it's a really old term or if I'm completely misunderstanding.   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

One More Thing Before I Go
Nov 23, 2013

I do believe now that they are starting to target those of us who were making 10/6.  In the past, on my old accounts, I was audited no more than once a month.  If I failed an occasional audit, they would wait another month to see how I did on that one and since I always passed, no action was taken.  There was also no action after I took more than the allowable time off.  Then, at the beginning of November, I was moved to another BOB.  After being on the account for less ...

I Tried To Do The Right Thing But....
Dec 12, 2014

I just can't stick it out 2 weeks :(   Every job I type just stresses me out more and more.  I am to the point that I don't care if I get my 20 hours PTO I have built up.   I am emailing back and forth with my TSM right now and it sounds like she is reading off a script!  "Take each report as they come and try to do your best to prevent errors"  No $%^& lady!!  Does she think we don't know that?????  ARRRGGH I am so beyond frustrate ...

And Here's One Other Thing!
Apr 01, 2015

Just had a doctor dictate "potassium 40 mg," (should have been mEq) and then further down, "Levemir 40 mg" (should have been units). If I had not left blanks for them, that would have been 6 points off. It also compelled me to use my allotment of blanks for that report! But they, of course, do not get penalized for their mistakes. On the other hand, our pay is docked. There is a double standard here that needs to be changed. ...

Is There Such A Thing As Wetzler?
Mar 01, 2010

The sentence is ... The ---- was normal to slightly below average. It sounds like wetzler...i did research but I can't find the correct way to spell it.. ...

Would That TAA Thing Cover Something Like This?
Mar 27, 2010

The university down the street will be offering an undergraduate degree in Arabic.  It is one of only 3 offer in this country.  Now THAT ought to be useful.  Sometimes, if you already have an undergraduate degree, they let you skip the basics and finish in 2 yrs.  I would certainly consider that, especially since there appears to be no end in sight to our troubles with Arab-speaking countries. ...

I Love Getting NJA First Thing And Then
Aug 19, 2010

and right at the LAST MINUTE, ONE job comes in.  You type it and then have to sit for another 15 minutes. Rinse, repeat. ...

Is There Such Thing As QA By The Hour
Aug 27, 2010

Are there companies that pay to do QA hourly?  If so where are they and who?  I do QA now and work 15 hours a day for less than $100 ...

OMG! This May Just Be The Most Annoying Thing
Oct 20, 2010

that I have had in a dictation, and I am sure that the dictator (PA-C)  is annoyed as well.  It's always annoying when she chitty-chats with the "girls in the office" while dictating, but in this dictation, one of the girls is mocking back everything the dictator says and continues to do so, after a little chuckle from dictator each time, to the point where the dictator finally has to tell her that this is important, it is for an attorney and she cannot mess it up.  ...

Is An MRI And MR Arthrogram The Same Thing
Nov 18, 2010

nm ...

And Another Thing About That DQS Productivity BS...
Nov 30, 2010

Gross Lines?  Net Lines?  What exactly does that mean.  Should net lines be more?  If I really average what they say I do, I should be making 27/hour???  I times the net lines by my rate = 27.  Well, that is for SURE not the case.  I only wish.  And what difference does it make whether we use the mouse or not IF that is the most efficient way?  Will their ridiculousness never cease to amaze me?  ...

Is There Such Thing As An Eye Gram?
Jan 26, 2011

....his eye gram reveals flat optic disks.... ...

Is There Such A Thing As 4++/5 Strength
Mar 24, 2011

I've heard of 4+/5, and he just used that for strength in the upper extremity, but then he said 4++/5 strength of the lower extremity.  Is there such a thing as ++ or do you think he just accidentally said it twice.  I'm not finding anything anywhere.   Thx. mt ...

ChartScript And CS.net - Are These The Same Thing?
May 06, 2011

What exactly is the difference, if any?  Is this a transcription-based platform or a voice-recognition type?  Company only states cs.net as platform. ...

Where's The 99% Thing Coming From?
Jun 03, 2011

just wonderin, cuz this board is the only place i've heard of it.  is it in email or MQ central or what? ...

Is There Such A Thing As Vicodin 3 ??
Sep 09, 2011

ALLERGIES: PERCOCET AND VICODIN 3. Possibly Tylenol No. 3 ? Just leave 'as is' and flag? ...

Another One QA Tells Me One Thing The Other Another..
Feb 13, 2012

I cant do this much longer...So sick of this, last time I emailed the QA lead about a month ago I go no response on clarification.. ...