A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cobra cost - Confused

Posted: Sep 13, 2012

What are others on Cobra doing w/regards to high deductible? At this, I won't be able to afford any meds.

COBRA Cost - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
My cost for COBRA, if I stay on my employers plan is $600 a month, which I cannot afford so I'm looking into a private policy with a higher deductible, copays on office visits but no drug coverage. I need my meds but I enrolled in one of those generic drug programs where I can get 3 months for $10, quite a few of the local pharmacies have them. I haven't tried, but some of the drug companies also have programs to help people who are having trouble affording their meds.

Cobra - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I've looked into other insurance policies, but all seem to have a pre-existing clause with a waiting period of a year. I am tempted to take a chance on having no problems within a year just so I can have coverage for other problems. My Cobra ends in December, so I have a couple of months to find another company.

Something to consider - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
If you show a gap in coverage, it's difficult to get insurance again, especially with preexisting conditions. Also, you won't be eligible for coverage right away at your new job, there are always eligibility requirements. I'm healthy too, but an injury or anything unexpected will mess you up big time. I fractured and dislocated my ankle last year. My hospital bill alone was over 20K, plus all the PT I needed, thankfully I was insured. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to take the chance, stuff happens.
Cobra - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to have a gap in coverage either. I can't find an insurance company without a preexisting clause except for a state program which costs more than Cobra. I've found coverage with a Health "Plan" which is a discount program, not major medical, and I definitely don't want that. Any suggestions?
PCIP Plans by state are usually cheaper and better - poor
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, you have to be uninsured for 6 months to qualify. My state is $362 per month premium BUT only $20 copay and $6000 maximum out of pocket, which is much better than most insurance companies do. I think the insurance companies are putting the screws in because they know their days of gouging the workers for premiums and whatever-they-want are coming to an end. I don't have a pre-existing condition, but if I did I would definitely remain uninsured to get on this, seeing as having insurance now is just like having no insurance because the deductible and OOP are so huge it is no more than an incentive NOT to go to the doctor.

Cobra confused - mt too
[ In Reply To ..]
You should exhaust your Cobra benefits of 18 months (apply for private insurance a couple months before this happens). When you apply there will be a section on the application to list all your group coverage for the past 24 months (including Cobra coverage). In most states having Cobra/group coverage for 24 CONSECUTIVE months will keep you from having to fill out the physical exam questions which of course would make you disclose your pre-existing conditions. Do not cancel your Cobra until you have your new private insurance card in your hand. The trick is never have even 1 day without insurance.
Cobra confused - mt too
[ In Reply To ..]
I just want to add that in most states you can have an independent insurance agent help you at no cost to you...they are paid by the insurance company. A professional would be better able to advise and guide you through the process and make sure there is no break in your coverage... Been there and totally understand.
Cobra - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, that is a good idea. I'll call an agent Monday. I definitely don't want to be w/o coverage.

Similar Messages:

Cost Of Hightest/best Insurance On COBRA
Dec 12, 2014

Does anyone know what the current cost of COBRA is for the highest level of insurance (the "better" one) that Nuance offers is for a single person?  (Well, single in that no other members are claimed.) I've been offered an IC job that pays very well, but I have to keep my insurance (as crappy as this policy is).  I know I can get healthcare through the marketplace thingy, but I'm wondering if I just needed to take COBRA for a bit, how much would it cost. Please only respond ...

Cobra
Nov 08, 2011

Anyone let go or quit that applied for Cobra.  If so, how much did it cost, or percentage of what we pay anyway.  Thanks in advance ...

Cobra. Sm
Jan 26, 2013

I am confused. I signed up for medical, dental, and vision insurance and the amounts are being deducted from my pay check.  Why have I received a letter about Cobra and have to reply no later than 03/2013 in order to continue vision and dental.  I am mixed up.  I guess I am dense. It's from E Cobra.  What is this?  Thanks for you help.  I know I could contact human resources, which I may on Monday, but thought I'd see if you can help me. Thanks in advance. ...

Anyone Know How Much Cobra Is For Transtech?
Jan 29, 2010

nm ...

Cobra Premium
Feb 18, 2010

Does anybody know how much the full Cobra premium would be if you didn't qualify for Obama's subsidy after leaving MQ? ...

401K, Cobra After MQ
Nov 16, 2010

Does any one know how long it takes to get your 401K after giving notice to MQ.  I'm seriously contemplating getting out of here.  Also, does any one know how Cobra is calculated.  Thanks. ...

Cobra Insurance
Feb 04, 2011

I work for Transcend and am a bit worried as there is no work and will not qualify for insurance.  Does anybody know how much Cobra is through Transcend with Aetna?  I have the lowest plan for a family of 4.  Any help would be great.   I hate to contact HR and send red signals. ...

COBRA - Pls See Msg For Question
May 11, 2011

Is there a way to find out what COBRA would cost you if you left your job w/o employer finding out?  ...

Transcend COBRA
Nov 15, 2012

I was wondering if anyone had left Transcend or has any idea how much COBRA is with them.  I have an email in to HR already and a meeting with my super later and I may just voluntarily go part time if they do not make me.  I have had sickness on top of running out of work so low pay checks lately and not meeting minimums and medical is an issue for me since I have preexisting I cannot get an individual policy.  I have been so stressed and rather than even discuss it it may be easi ...

Anyone Know How Much COBRA Costs?
Feb 21, 2013

Just considering my options. That's all I'm saying. I have the cheaper of the 2 health insurance plans, as well as the dental and vision plans. ...

COBRA - Would Be Eligible
Dec 27, 2013

Does anyone know if one would be eligible for COBRA or Obamacare if they quit say around February or March, way later than the deadline to sign up for the ACA? ...

Landmarkers - Anything More About Our COBRA Situation?
Jan 27, 2011

Has anyone heard anything more about our COBRA situation?  Aren't we supposed to have heard something by now? ...

Does Anyone Know How Much Single Cobra Is For WMX For Medical,
Jul 20, 2011

nm ...

Ex Transcend Cobra Insurance
Dec 06, 2012

I have already asked HR in case someone wants to tell me to do that and I was given a copy of a generic letter stating this and that date I would received a letter and they could not provide any information...Is there anyone that has quit Transcend and can tell me what your cobra was to be for just you.  Thanks! ...

Cobra Insurance Anyone Left
Mar 29, 2015

Has anyone ever left a company and did Cobra for the insurance?  Trying to get an idea of how much the premiums increase, don't want to ask because I don't want them to know I am thinking of leaving but would like a general idea if anyone knows what percentage it might be?  I figure it would at least double. ...

What's A VPN And How Much Does It Cost?
Jul 13, 2013

Do any of you know what's involved in setting up a virtual private network and what the cost would be?  It seems that companies hiring MTs to transcribe into their clients' EMR are requiring the MT to use a VPN.  Would I need a special computer for this?  Thanks for any advice.  ...

Why Does Certification Cost So Much?
Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for? ...

The Q Cost Me My Computer
Oct 17, 2010

With the update to 6.1, I began having computer crashes.  When I logged on to DQS, my screen went black 5 times before it loaded.  It did this every time.  After a week, when I finished my shift and went to check my email, the computer completely froze.  Took it to the computer shop, and the guy said he deleted some of the programs in my "service program." All was well for exactly 2 weeks, although I still had the black screen problem when loading DQS.  The same thing h ...

How Much Would MT School Cost?
Apr 18, 2013

Please, no lectures!  Not for me,  but for my niece, who is just looking for a little extra cash, as her hubby is bringing in good income and she was thinking about doing what I do.  I was so lucky to learn on the job, on-site, almost 20 years ago.  How long would training be for the minimum tier, or whatever they call it now, and approximately what would the cost be?  Thank you. ...

How Is .02 CPL Cost-effective? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

I don't think many with experience would accept .02 CPL.  I would imaging this forces MTSOs to train newbies.  I'm sure they have to pay QA far more than .04 CPL to correct and go over the work.  Even if they did pay QA only .04 CPL to do this, they are paying at least .06 CPL total.  By the time the new editor is sufficiently trained to go off 100% QA they have had more than enough time to realize that they will never make a living doing this kind of work, the lies ...

Does Any LMarker Know How The Payment For Cobra Is To Be Made? No Message
Jan 30, 2011

nm ...

I Only Have Dental And Vision Insurance. Would I Be Eligible For COBRA For Those?
May 05, 2011

I only have dental and vision insurance. Would i be eligible for COBRA for those? ...

Moving From EE Status To Self-employed; COBRA Or Individual
Feb 18, 2013

In my late 50's, health history mainly diabetic and overweight...in general, have those of you who have made a similar change found premiums of individual plans to be better or worse than offered through COBRA?  Thanks for any input. ...

How Much Do The Cert. Tests Below Cost?
Apr 02, 2010

nm ...

Increase In Cost Of Benefits
Mar 09, 2011

Help!!! Okay, I've been working PT for MQ for 7 long years.  I am considering going FT just for the benefits because no one can live off of minimum wage. Because information on open enrollment will not be available until late April/May for June 2011, I need to know if the rates normally go up and by about how much?  Please, I only want to hear from MQ (not recently new to MQ from Spheris or non-MQ people) people who have been full time for the ...

Cost Of Outsourcing Transcription
Jan 02, 2013

Interesting.   http://www.heu.org/news-media/news-releases/costs-outsourcing-medical-transcription-skyrocket-150-cent-just-four-years ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

Pt With Boxer's Fracture - Plan: Treat With A S/l Cobra Splint?
Aug 20, 2011

x ...

AVOID SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION AT ALL COST!!!!
Apr 02, 2010

Avoid Saince.  They are intrusive, constantly calling and they don't pay.  They hijacked my PC for 33-1/2 hours and their paperwork said they pay $10 an hour and then today I was told they only pay a flat rate $100.  HELLO!! THEY OWE ME $335 BEFORE TAXES THANK YOU!  They pay by black character only which means you don't get paid for spaces so you type 22 reports a day and average about 600 lines.  Nice!  When asked if you get paid according to the line co ...

What The Heck Does Shrinking Cost Base Mean.
Aug 19, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRYbCNbTPgQJ:www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-reports-second-quarter-2010-results-with-revenue-up-26-primarily-due-to-spheris-asset-acquisition-in-april-2010-2010-08-11+medquist+restructuring&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   The following results for both the three months and six months ended June 30, 2010 include the Spheris results from the acquisition date. Prior to its acquisition, Spheris had been ...