A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Increase in Cost of Benefits - MTFOR4

Posted: Mar 09, 2011

Help!!!

Okay, I've been working PT for MQ for 7 long years.  I am considering going FT just for the benefits because no one can live off of minimum wage.

Because information on open enrollment will not be available until late April/May for June 2011, I need to know if the rates normally go up and by about how much? 

Please, I only want to hear from MQ (not recently new to MQ from Spheris or non-MQ people) people who have been full time for the last 5 years who know this first hand.  It's frustrating how corporate keeps everything hush hush as if they're ready to drop a bomb!  Maybe they are.  Or maybe I'm just a pessimist. 

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!

benefits - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The rates are figured on whatever your "benefit rate" is. It tends to change every time your benefit rate goes up or down (usually down).

benefits - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been full-time with benefits for the last 4 years. I am assuming you are talking about insurance/disability, etc.? The first year I only had insurance on myself, so of course I had a drastic increase the second year when I added the whole family. I don't remember exactly how much it changed when I renewed the following years, but I don't think it was more than $20 or so per check for the health insurance. As far as disability, life, etc., what you pay for those depends on how much coverage you select. Again, I don't remember those going up too much either.

Hope that helps.

Increase in Cost of Benefits - MTfor4

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that is kind of what I was looking for. Thank you for responding. I am mostly interested in Medical, Dental and Vision. Not the other stuff. If my husband loses his job, we will need benefits to cover the family and I will be working FT making minimum wage just to pay for the benefits. Sad sad, but that's the way it is. Just have to take one day at a time, keep the faith and know that things will get better.

hope this helps - FT MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been on the family plan since 2006. Health insurance premiums stayed the same this entire time at 187.50 each paycheck. Dental premiums increased last year by a few dollars a month (now I think around 50), but that was the first time for an increase since 2006. Short-term disability and long-term disability are based off your income, so as you make more money the premiums increase and vice versa. I do not have the vision insurance, it was free for a long time and then last year we had to start paying for it.

As a full disclosure, my husband was eligible for health insurance at his job so we switched over as of January because it was cheaper, but I still carry the dental and other benefits.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cost of Benefits - MTfor4

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you FT MT - I just have a sick feeling about going FT time and I am pessimistic that like gasoline, food, the cost of health insurance will be going up also. We already have life and disability through another avenue that turns out better for us right now. Hard times.

remember it is pretax - FT MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am afraid that with Obamacare looming in the future that premiums will be skyrocketing. However, until that happens it sounds like you are doing the best you can to be prepared for your family. Although the benefits do take a huge chunk out of your check, it is pretax money so it will help you at tax time. MQ insurance works best for those who rarely use the doctor. Physicals/health maintenance are free. MQ then gives $1000 per year towards the deductible. We only went to the doctor for earaches or coughs (minor stuff), thankfully we never had any major issue. We never used over the $1000 and always had some money roll into the next year. Hang in there.
[ In Reply To ..]
Now I am unfamilar with MQ giving $1000 per year towards the deductible, so no out of pocket deductible until after exceeding $1000?

So far we are pretty healthy too, so that would be good...and of course the preventative stuff.

Its just making the plunge. Just have to keep looking at the bright side.
for the HRA plan - FT MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the deductible for family is $1500 (used to be $1000), so MQ would pay the first $1000, but then after that you are on the hook for the next $2000, then 70/30 for the next $5000. No copays and RX does not count towards deductible.

There is also a Choice Plus plan which is a little cheaper per month (15 less per paycheck) with $1500 deductible, no MQ $1000, then 70/30 up to $5000. $25 copay for every visit including physicals. Truly depends on how much you think your family will go to the doctor.

Open enrollment will be here soon and United Health has a website where you can compare plans and figure out what coverage you will need.

It is a lot of pressure taking the insurance- you can't say @#$% and quit with no notice, you have a higher minimum to hit (150 per hour) and you had better have 39 hours per week or the insurance will be yanked out from under you. Oh and if you do quit, the insurance ends at the end of the month- quit at the beginning of the month if you must :)
[ In Reply To ..]
FT MT thank you again for all your info. I have a lot of research to do between now and open enrollment. I know what you mean about the pressure, the 150/hr line. It would be a time of desperation that I would consider doing this. I am still having a very hard time swallowing the pill of being paid minimum wage. I have never in my life had a minimum wage job until this.
MQ $1000 - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
There were 2 different options. I chose the HSA option, but I don't remember what they called it, or what they called the other one. With the HSA option, you have a $3000 deductible. Since it is an HSA account, Medquist puts the first $1000 into your account for you, essentially paying for your first $1000 of your deductible. Once you pass $1000, you are responsible for your deductible until you hit $3000.

In 4 years, I have only passed the $1000 once, and that was only because of a $2500 ER visit for my son with asthma. Everyone on your plan gets 1 well-visit a year paid 100%, not put towards your deductible.

I pay about $180 per check now for myself, my husband and 2 kids. I guess $360/month isn't too bad, considering I haven't had to pay for ANY doctor's visits in 3 years. All 4 of us take daily medications, about $600/month without insurance. It works for us to pay the $360 in insurance just so we can have the RX coverage.

Good luck with your decision.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply. I have a lot to investigate to see what plan will work best for our family. So far we have been pretty healthy too and just need insurance for the fear of catostrophic illness/injury. The dental and vision look pretty good (compared to not having any coverage at all).

Also, On the benefits plan sheet I am referring to it shows family coverage (medical only) as being $259.22 per Pay period--making it over 500/month. I'm not aware of there being more than one option? Would this be on the United Health website/Medquist?

look on MQ central - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
Under Human Resources Benefits 2010 and then Medical. It shows both plans and what they cost. I am not sure what you are referring to, but 259.22 per paycheck sounds too much.

Increase in cost of benefits - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
They do not typically go up, if they do I have not noticed. They were pricey for health ins. when my husband was alive, but for single they are about 140 a month. Hopes this helps. I also have short-term and long-term disability and they are I think a little pricey, but I am older now and need them.

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, from what I am looking at 2010 plan, it will cost around $600 out of paycheck every month (for full family coverage medical, dental and vision) which is pretty good. Right now we are with Carefirst BC/BS paying 1100/month for medical only!

I actually still remember the days when the corporation would pay 100% benefits. Those were the good 'ole days -- long gone :(

medical costs - plugging along

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with medquist almost 5 years. I have had medical coverage and disability all along. Before the payroll change to every other week, the medical (mind you I did not choose the flex medical account)but choice plus, every paycheck major medical was $250 deducted, dental was $46, vision was free until about a year or so ago, then $17 and I chose all the disabilities which totaled about 8 or 10 per paycheck. Now with the new payroll system it is: Major medical $230.77, dental $44.46, vision $5.93. The disability (which you were not interested in) totals $10.95 which includes life insurance on myself of $50,000 and my husband of $25,000. I have never had an increase or decrease based on my benefit rate and believe me it has fluctuated a lot especially when we kept changing clients or life changes at home interrupting. I hope this helps. It is a big chunk out of a paycheck, but with our Rxs and Dr visits it really helps cut costs. A few ER visits in there too.

Similar Messages:

What's A VPN And How Much Does It Cost?
Jul 13, 2013

Do any of you know what's involved in setting up a virtual private network and what the cost would be?  It seems that companies hiring MTs to transcribe into their clients' EMR are requiring the MT to use a VPN.  Would I need a special computer for this?  Thanks for any advice.  ...

Why Does Certification Cost So Much?
Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for? ...

The Q Cost Me My Computer
Oct 17, 2010

With the update to 6.1, I began having computer crashes.  When I logged on to DQS, my screen went black 5 times before it loaded.  It did this every time.  After a week, when I finished my shift and went to check my email, the computer completely froze.  Took it to the computer shop, and the guy said he deleted some of the programs in my "service program." All was well for exactly 2 weeks, although I still had the black screen problem when loading DQS.  The same thing h ...

Cobra Cost
Sep 13, 2012

What are others on Cobra doing w/regards to high deductible? At this, I won't be able to afford any meds. ...

How Much Would MT School Cost?
Apr 18, 2013

Please, no lectures!  Not for me,  but for my niece, who is just looking for a little extra cash, as her hubby is bringing in good income and she was thinking about doing what I do.  I was so lucky to learn on the job, on-site, almost 20 years ago.  How long would training be for the minimum tier, or whatever they call it now, and approximately what would the cost be?  Thank you. ...

How Is .02 CPL Cost-effective? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

I don't think many with experience would accept .02 CPL.  I would imaging this forces MTSOs to train newbies.  I'm sure they have to pay QA far more than .04 CPL to correct and go over the work.  Even if they did pay QA only .04 CPL to do this, they are paying at least .06 CPL total.  By the time the new editor is sufficiently trained to go off 100% QA they have had more than enough time to realize that they will never make a living doing this kind of work, the lies ...

I Need To Increase My Pay....
Feb 08, 2012

....as I'm about ready to get kicked out.  I have been working like crazy and was shocked when I saw my paycheck but at least I have a job.  Please tell me what I can do to get more lines per hour.  If I turn the clock off when I get up, then I have to make up that time to get my eight hours in.  Too tired by the end of when my shift is to stop to do more typing/vr.  I need hints/ideas/etc!!!!!  Thanks :) ...

How Much Do The Cert. Tests Below Cost?
Apr 02, 2010

nm ...

Cost Of Outsourcing Transcription
Jan 02, 2013

Interesting.   http://www.heu.org/news-media/news-releases/costs-outsourcing-medical-transcription-skyrocket-150-cent-just-four-years ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

Trying To Increase Speed...
Sep 25, 2010

Does anyone have any hints/suggestions/help for working more quickly in Powerscribe editing radiology reports?  The program seems a bit sluggish and you have to wait on it when you want to go on to the next step/next report.  Any hints for copying/pasting more quickly, etc?  Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to increase my speed.  TIA ...

Best Way To Increase Lines
Jun 27, 2013

I've been doing work via escription for about a month and a half now (Transcriptionist most of my life) and i really like it.  I am just up to about an average of 300 lines per hour though. I have heard/seen people do much better with the line count, and I wonder what your input is.  Some say that you shouldnt use the mouse and should only use the keyboard for quick editing.  I use the mouse still. I have my short cuts in and such, but for the most part i keep my hand on the ...

How Can I Increase Productivity?
Apr 23, 2015

I do transcription work for several different doctors and get a lot of pre-generated reports that just need editing.  Is there anything at all that I can do to increase productivity? Thank you all!  ...

AVOID SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION AT ALL COST!!!!
Apr 02, 2010

Avoid Saince.  They are intrusive, constantly calling and they don't pay.  They hijacked my PC for 33-1/2 hours and their paperwork said they pay $10 an hour and then today I was told they only pay a flat rate $100.  HELLO!! THEY OWE ME $335 BEFORE TAXES THANK YOU!  They pay by black character only which means you don't get paid for spaces so you type 22 reports a day and average about 600 lines.  Nice!  When asked if you get paid according to the line co ...

What The Heck Does Shrinking Cost Base Mean.
Aug 19, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRYbCNbTPgQJ:www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-reports-second-quarter-2010-results-with-revenue-up-26-primarily-due-to-spheris-asset-acquisition-in-april-2010-2010-08-11+medquist+restructuring&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   The following results for both the three months and six months ended June 30, 2010 include the Spheris results from the acquisition date. Prior to its acquisition, Spheris had been ...

Synernet - Cost Of Health Insurance
Apr 02, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost of an individual health insurance plan is with Synernet?  What about the QA system --- helpful or adversarial?  Also, saw a previous comment about schedules -- do they require strict adherence or is there some flexibility? ...

Cost Of Hightest/best Insurance On COBRA
Dec 12, 2014

Does anyone know what the current cost of COBRA is for the highest level of insurance (the "better" one) that Nuance offers is for a single person?  (Well, single in that no other members are claimed.) I've been offered an IC job that pays very well, but I have to keep my insurance (as crappy as this policy is).  I know I can get healthcare through the marketplace thingy, but I'm wondering if I just needed to take COBRA for a bit, how much would it cost. Please only respond ...

Why Is It Impossible To Find Out The Cost Of Andrews
Apr 27, 2015

Can someone give me at least a ballpark figure for the course?  I don't want to send and email and/or call just yet....still not even sure I can afford to do this.  :)  Thanks!   ...

Idea To Increase Production
Apr 27, 2010

A while back I was trying to think of some things to increase my production, so I sat down with paper and pencil and made a list of the biggest things that were slowing me down.  At the top of the list were three main things:  Nine different accounts with nine totally different CPs, ESLs, and ASR.  I decided to work on the CPs first.  This one little trick has actually DOUBLED my production over the last two months.  My thought was that maybe if I had all the CPs for all ...

Increase Line Counts?
Jun 26, 2010

I kind of feel dumb even asking this question but how does one get these 300 lph counts I've read about on here?  I have 12 years plus years experience and have only worked in 2 different hospitals.  We never had expanders so I don't really know much about them.  I average about 180 lph but am realizing now working for an MTSO that I am going to have to increase my line counts.  Thanks! ...

What Caused An Increase In Shorter
Dec 22, 2010

Not long ago, work was abundant for all MTs, but then it seemed that changed when for some reason, turn around times were shortened markedly.  What caused this?  Was is just a new way for companies to compete, promising that the work would get back sooner than a client's current MT service, or did something more technical occur, such as government regulations, insurance requirements, etc.  I see jobs by the hundreds on the web and yet the complaint is always the same: No work ...

What Are Some Ways To Increase Productivity? Nm
Apr 17, 2011

x ...

Can You Increase Volume In Emdat
Jul 26, 2011

My Emdat voice quality has been very low recently.  Unfortunately my ear phone cord broke and I ordered new earphones but it's just a whisper.  I've increased the volume button on Emdat, but wondered if there is a way to increase the volume otherwise.  I've done everything on my computer to make the volume loud but it doesn't work. I just ordered a new 2nd set of earphones along with a volume increase thing from Amazon and was so excited to get it in today.&nb ...

How Do You Increase Sound Quality? Sm
Jul 11, 2012

I have a service that rerecords from the hospital server and then we download from the service's server.  The sound quality is absolutely atrocious by the time it comes to the MT with most jobs sounding like they were dictated on a cell phone inside a cardboard box.  I am presently using a Boostaroo which make the audio louder but does nothing to clean it up.  Is there something I can buy that will improve the quality?  TIA ...

Increase Dictation Volume?
Jul 24, 2012

Is there anything at all I can do to increase the dictation sound volume when I get these whisperers or people using cell phones, etc, and I can hardly hear them?  I guess some of them are just sitting too far away from the dictating equipment, but they are never going to change.  They are always going to be barely audible. Is there anything I can do or buy to amplify the sound with these dictators?  I already have my computer and speakers set on the highest volume.  I' ...

Boost - According To Testimonial, A Bit Over $130 Pay Increase.
Jul 27, 2012

Boost didn't help me like that at all. In fact, it didn't make any difference at all in my production. Only learned tricks to keep my inactive time showing as less. Also, according to statistics given in the statistics report, I am producing about the same as most others - which is still minimum wage (in my state). Even the average production is barely above minimum wage (in my state). ...

Performance Review And Increase
Aug 28, 2012

I have a feeling I am going to get laughed right off of this page, but here goes. At any point does Nuance offer a performance review and/or pay increase?  Also, has anyone ever threatened to quit and were offered an increase to stay?   ...

3% Increase In Hourly Earning
Apr 17, 2013

how can that be when there is no work.  I surely have not had an increase.  I am lucky if I get 40 hours in 2 weeks instead of 1 week.  What a joke! ...

Does Transcend Offer Health Insurance And What Is Cost? TIA.
Apr 10, 2010

nm ...

Amphion - Deductible, Percentages, Or Cost For Single?
Jul 15, 2010

I'm interviewing with this company this week. Can anyone give me recent experience with this company? Is the pay fair? How user-friendly is their system? Can you give me info on medical benefits such as deductible, percentages, or cost for single? Really any recent information is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you! ...