A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why does certification cost so much? - MamaBear

Posted: Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for?

You got it: BUYING credentials! - Searching

[ In Reply To ..]
It has ALWAYS been expensive to earn and maintain CMT status, considering what we make. The stupid membership dues were always too high as well. It's just a racket. Been there, done that, and now I say save your money to spend on something of VALUE.

"What do you pay for?" - NOTHING

[ In Reply To ..]
Save your money.

They just give you harder work - Spherite

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the only difference I've ever seen. They will put you on a harder account and pay maybe an extra half cent per line. It's not worth it. You make more at lesser cpl with the better work.

RHIT is a useful title. CMT is NOT - Spend your money wisely.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an RHIT, you don't need to be a CMT. RHIT trumps CMT.

RHIT and CMT apply to 2 different things - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
One is for health information technology (medical records/coding) and the other is for MT, one does not trump the other. I don't know why the exams are so expensive, the national coding certification exams are around $300 per exam, I guess it's the cost of the testing materials (there's probably a licensing fee), renting the testing center and hiring proctors but I really don't know for sure.

What is RHIT, and how do you get it? - how does it trump CMT?

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you get a raise to have it? Are there CECs needed?

I am so confused. So if my company demands mandatory CMT, I could get RHIT instead and not give my money to AHDI.

One is a license and one is a useless certificate. - RHIT requires college...CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
is just a way for AHDI to get rich off of us. Most practices today don't even know what CMT means.

If your company is one of the ones who bought into the AHDI myth, they may insist that you have CMT credentials as a job qualification. Not that it proves a thing! But some places were sold a bill of goods by AHDI.
Not true. They are both certifications - RHIT
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.ahima.org/certification/rhit.aspx

And while one does not trump the other, RHIT would open more doors INCLUDING the possibility of MT doors.
ADHI - jeannieb
[ In Reply To ..]
If ADHI isn't a good organization to set up standards for MTs, what other organization is set up to do that? I was a paralegal & I soon found out that "no standards means low pay!" If we are willing to self-regulate and set up high standards, eventually not every Tom, Dick, & Harry will qualify to do our jobs.
Better standards (and advocacy for MTs) was what - AHDI preaches, but it sure aint the gospel! (SM)
[ In Reply To ..]
Standards have DROPPED. Look at the trash that is coming out of VR and offshored work. Look at the nitpicky BOS rules that have QA-people scrambling to keep up with, and ignoring the bottom line: A correct, legible medicolegal document. PAY has dropped. How does that equate to "MT advocacy"? And how does low pay in any way improve quality of transcription? It does NOT.

The "standard" used to be, either you could do the work, or you could not. Now, the only "standard" in medical transcription is "Show me the money."

RHIT - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried to explain it in my previous post, but here I go again. RHIT is a Registered Health Information Technician. You will usually find someone with that title managing a medical records department or working as a coder, I think it requires completing a 2-year college program, they rarely work as MTs. Those credentials are completely different from a CMT as they are 2 completely different jobs, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
RHIT - MamaBear
[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MT/QA and have a 2-year degree in health information technology and am eligible to sit for the RHIT, which is why I asked. I'd like to get both credentials but it sounds like getting a CMT would be a waste of time.
Mama Bear - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I would definitely sit for the RHIT, I'd say the CMT is your call. If you would be doing it in order to earn more, that probably is not going to happen. If you don't have coding background, that would also be a good thing to know, IMHO, but you may have already studied that.
RHIT - MamaBear
[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to study hard and sit for the RHIT and skip the CMT, I think!

Its expensive so AHDI can pad its bank acount at - the expense of desperate MTs. N/M

[ In Reply To ..]

Any organization's credentialing - exam costs money

[ In Reply To ..]
Nursing credentialing exam costs $270. Any exam costs money.

But at least other exams give you a legitimate certificate. - CMT is just a "certificate of - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
being able to memorize a bunch of meaningless rules they made up".

The other certifictes/licenses mean you can work in a career that pays a decent living. Raises are not unheard of, as they are in MT. The CMT doesn't gain the holder entrance to anything more than a SWEATSHOP.

credentialing - deb142

[ In Reply To ..]
How much does the CMT exam cost to take? And what happens if you don't make it the first time? Any chance of refund or to take it again?

You pay all over again to retake it. How do you - spell: "R-I-P-O-F-F?" NM

[ In Reply To ..]
X

CMT - MamaBear

[ In Reply To ..]
The CMT exam is $200+ dollars to take and if you don't make it, you don't get a refund, don't get your money back. You can take it again if you pay another $200+ dollars. Harsh. At least that's what I heard.
I heard that, too. Except I heard it was $300. - R-I-P-O-F-F !!!
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Why does cert cost so much??????? - 27-year-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It costs so much because the used-to-be AMA is now run by owners who need money to buy political power. I wanted a union for MTs years ago but everyone said OH NO I HATE UNIONS. Well, this is what you get without an organization to protect your rights as an MT and a human being. You are paying for the very companies that lie in their ads, lie to you about your lines and money, just lie to you because they can. I cannot believe there are still MTs out there who don't want a union for MTs. How long do you think this country would last if every single MT in AMERICA stopped working all at the same time, MTSO, hospitals, clinics, offices, whatever. Do you HONESTLY think this nation could REALLY replace us with this SR/VR software. I'm doing SR now and the software cannot handle most of these dictators. So, who is going to clean up the softwares mess? US, WITHOUT DECENT PAY OR BENEFITS. What is wrong with the MTs today? I just don't understand it.

Similar Messages:

What's A VPN And How Much Does It Cost?
Jul 13, 2013

Do any of you know what's involved in setting up a virtual private network and what the cost would be?  It seems that companies hiring MTs to transcribe into their clients' EMR are requiring the MT to use a VPN.  Would I need a special computer for this?  Thanks for any advice.  ...

The Q Cost Me My Computer
Oct 17, 2010

With the update to 6.1, I began having computer crashes.  When I logged on to DQS, my screen went black 5 times before it loaded.  It did this every time.  After a week, when I finished my shift and went to check my email, the computer completely froze.  Took it to the computer shop, and the guy said he deleted some of the programs in my "service program." All was well for exactly 2 weeks, although I still had the black screen problem when loading DQS.  The same thing h ...

Cobra Cost
Sep 13, 2012

What are others on Cobra doing w/regards to high deductible? At this, I won't be able to afford any meds. ...

How Much Would MT School Cost?
Apr 18, 2013

Please, no lectures!  Not for me,  but for my niece, who is just looking for a little extra cash, as her hubby is bringing in good income and she was thinking about doing what I do.  I was so lucky to learn on the job, on-site, almost 20 years ago.  How long would training be for the minimum tier, or whatever they call it now, and approximately what would the cost be?  Thank you. ...

How Is .02 CPL Cost-effective? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

I don't think many with experience would accept .02 CPL.  I would imaging this forces MTSOs to train newbies.  I'm sure they have to pay QA far more than .04 CPL to correct and go over the work.  Even if they did pay QA only .04 CPL to do this, they are paying at least .06 CPL total.  By the time the new editor is sufficiently trained to go off 100% QA they have had more than enough time to realize that they will never make a living doing this kind of work, the lies ...

How Much Do The Cert. Tests Below Cost?
Apr 02, 2010

nm ...

Increase In Cost Of Benefits
Mar 09, 2011

Help!!! Okay, I've been working PT for MQ for 7 long years.  I am considering going FT just for the benefits because no one can live off of minimum wage. Because information on open enrollment will not be available until late April/May for June 2011, I need to know if the rates normally go up and by about how much?  Please, I only want to hear from MQ (not recently new to MQ from Spheris or non-MQ people) people who have been full time for the ...

Cost Of Outsourcing Transcription
Jan 02, 2013

Interesting.   http://www.heu.org/news-media/news-releases/costs-outsourcing-medical-transcription-skyrocket-150-cent-just-four-years ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

AVOID SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION AT ALL COST!!!!
Apr 02, 2010

Avoid Saince.  They are intrusive, constantly calling and they don't pay.  They hijacked my PC for 33-1/2 hours and their paperwork said they pay $10 an hour and then today I was told they only pay a flat rate $100.  HELLO!! THEY OWE ME $335 BEFORE TAXES THANK YOU!  They pay by black character only which means you don't get paid for spaces so you type 22 reports a day and average about 600 lines.  Nice!  When asked if you get paid according to the line co ...

What The Heck Does Shrinking Cost Base Mean.
Aug 19, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRYbCNbTPgQJ:www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-reports-second-quarter-2010-results-with-revenue-up-26-primarily-due-to-spheris-asset-acquisition-in-april-2010-2010-08-11+medquist+restructuring&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   The following results for both the three months and six months ended June 30, 2010 include the Spheris results from the acquisition date. Prior to its acquisition, Spheris had been ...

Synernet - Cost Of Health Insurance
Apr 02, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost of an individual health insurance plan is with Synernet?  What about the QA system --- helpful or adversarial?  Also, saw a previous comment about schedules -- do they require strict adherence or is there some flexibility? ...

Cost Of Hightest/best Insurance On COBRA
Dec 12, 2014

Does anyone know what the current cost of COBRA is for the highest level of insurance (the "better" one) that Nuance offers is for a single person?  (Well, single in that no other members are claimed.) I've been offered an IC job that pays very well, but I have to keep my insurance (as crappy as this policy is).  I know I can get healthcare through the marketplace thingy, but I'm wondering if I just needed to take COBRA for a bit, how much would it cost. Please only respond ...

Why Is It Impossible To Find Out The Cost Of Andrews
Apr 27, 2015

Can someone give me at least a ballpark figure for the course?  I don't want to send and email and/or call just yet....still not even sure I can afford to do this.  :)  Thanks!   ...

Does Transcend Offer Health Insurance And What Is Cost? TIA.
Apr 10, 2010

nm ...

Amphion - Deductible, Percentages, Or Cost For Single?
Jul 15, 2010

I'm interviewing with this company this week. Can anyone give me recent experience with this company? Is the pay fair? How user-friendly is their system? Can you give me info on medical benefits such as deductible, percentages, or cost for single? Really any recent information is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you! ...

MedQuist Provides Significant Transcription Cost Reductions
Jul 21, 2011

MedQuist was able to provide significant transcription cost reductions while providing a solution that fully integrates with Mercy's EHR technology.  Article states this and came out today. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-deepens-role-in-sisters-of-mercys-ehr-deployment-strategy-expanding-cost-saving-clinical-documentation-services-and-technology-2011-07-21?reflink=MW_news_stmp Not only do we give our hard earned money to the board of directors, but also some MQ staff mem ...

Cost Differential For Difficult Dictators In The New Plan?
Dec 04, 2014

I didn't see a cost differential for difficult dictators in the new plan? Did anyone else? So you can work day shift  with the lowest tier and have the crappiest dictator around but still get lowest pay. And isn't it lovely that the new rate will be on the Dec. 26 paycheck? I guessing there may be a mass exodus in January.  ...

MedQuist Cost Cuts Lift Profit 7 Percent
May 13, 2010

MedQuist said it reduced employee head count last year and lowered transcription costs by increasing its use of speech recognition technology. = employees took the loss while they got the gain! (Courier Post) ...

Any Word On Insurance Cost For Webbies Consumed By Nuance?
Jul 26, 2011

Please, do tell if you know ANYTHING. ...

Article - Doctor Claims Poor EMR Training Cost Him His Job
Oct 27, 2011

Ha! This thing looks like as I predicted....a disaster waiting to happen.   http://www.fierceemr.com/story/fired-doctor-my-ehr-training-was-poor/2011-10-27?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal ...

Off-shoring A Potentially Risky Cost Saver For Organizations
Mar 27, 2013

Interesting read.  I found this October 2008 article in which our own company (formerly Medquist) is mentioned.  Here is the link: http://www.online-crc.com/content.cfm?content_id=220556 Just a few excerpts from the article: The problem is worse in other countries where U.S. law doesn’t apply and protection against the risk of medical identity theft is minimal or nonexistent. “We need tougher laws for outsourced companies in other countries.”  “The ris ...

Coding Salary Compared To MLS/ Is It Worth The Cost Of School?
Nov 22, 2014

I currently work at Nuance.  Was a TL (transcription lead), now in Quality, getting paid hourly.  Everyone is moving to production pay soon which is scaring the bejesus out of us all.  Is the difference in salary as a coder (even as entry level) worth it enough to invest in schooling and change careers or should I just be looking for an entirely different career?  How long before you can start making more?  How hard is it to get licensed?  I am a pretty quick study ...

High Quality, Cost Effective And Customer Focused - Words That Spell Exploitation. . .
Nov 06, 2011

Am I the only one that feels this way??? Tell me, please, how do they expect us to make a living when they are paying squat to keep their cost of service down?? T ...

MT Certification Help!
Mar 07, 2010

I have set my goal to become certified after being a transcriptionist for 5 years. I wondered if anyone knew of any good study guide or books that may have helped them? I have been to ADHI and they have a monthly course I was considering. ...

CMT Certification
Mar 31, 2010

Just talked to sup and was informed that MTs who get certified will make a whopping half cent per line more!  ..... ROFL ...

Certification?
Apr 27, 2010

I took online coding program years ago as well as an MT program.  I decided to go into MT but am wanting to start back up with coding again.  Is it worth it to do another coding program or to pursue a certification?  I'm not sure the money I'd need to spend would really justify either.  I've been doing a lot of research and while certification is preferred, it's not always a requirement in job descriptions.  Thanks ...

Certification Or Not?
Aug 19, 2010

With all the news about AHDI MT certifications and such, is anyone not certified taking steps to get certified? I find this very frustrating. I have been in the business 15 years and have leared on the job. Not sure what to do? ...

Certification
Aug 11, 2014

Ok my certification is due in a few months and I'm tired of paying dues to Recertify.  I feel it is not benefitting me at all.  I haven't had a pay raise in years and I'm getting extremely frustrated.  Any advice appreciated! ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...