A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cobra insurance anyone left - longtimer

Posted: Mar 29, 2015

Has anyone ever left a company and did Cobra for the insurance?  Trying to get an idea of how much the premiums increase, don't want to ask because I don't want them to know I am thinking of leaving but would like a general idea if anyone knows what percentage it might be?  I figure it would at least double.

You could call the insurance company...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
or go on-line as if you are shopping for insurance and look for a plan comparable to what you have now and find out what the premium would be private pay. That might give you a pretty good idea. I know mine was close to $500 per month. I did it for a month, then dropped it and crossed my fingers. I got a job pretty quickly so only went a few months without insurance. I'm wondering if you have to do Cobra or can try get insurance through ACA if you will be unemployed and may be eligible for a subsidy.

from ACA website - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/if-you-lose-job-based-coverage/

If you lose your job-based health insurance, you have 2 main options for health insurance coverage: a Marketplace plan or COBRA continuation coverage.

Losing job-based coverage

Option 1: Get a Marketplace plan

If you leave your job for any reason and lose your job-based coverage, you can choose to buy coverage from the Marketplace. This is true even if you leave your job outside the annual Marketplace Open Enrollment Period. Losing job-based coverage qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period that allows you to buy insurance outside the regular Open Enrollment period.

When you apply through the Marketplace, you'll learn if you qualify for lower costs on your monthly premiums on private insurance. You could also qualify for lower out-of-pocket costs.

Through the Marketplace you'll also learn if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage from Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

Option 2: Get COBRA coverage

You may be able to keep your job-based plan through COBRA continuation coverage. COBRA is a federal law that may let you pay to keep you and your family on your employee health insurance for a limited time (usually 18 months) after your employment ends or you otherwise lose coverage.

Learn more about your options for changing to a Marketplace plan if you have COBRA continuation coverage.

Cobra - longtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info, would actually like to Cobra if not outrageous because I have met my deductible. I had ACA before becoming and employee and it was horrible, even with subsidy cost me more than mine does now and got notice the premium was doubling for 2015, would not pay for my meds until deductible was met and just had a terrible time getting it to pay for anything outside of office visits.
Check again. - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps a different plan will meet your needs better. I had a lot of plans to choose from. Also, your income and/other circumstances will probably change that will affect your premium/subsidy.
Box 12 of your W2 - see message2
[ In Reply To ..]
Your W2 should show how much your insurance actually cost, which is what COBRA would be. Our family coverage would have cost us about $18,000 per year. Crazy!

If we lost this, I did check the ACA and I could get family coverage for about $6,000 per year adjusting for income change and subsidy qualification.

Cobra - marge

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it really depends on if you pay the premium now or if you only pay a portion and how much of a portion do you pay. When I left the hospital I worked in mine ran about $150 a mo. (my portion). My Cobra was approximately $1200 per month. :( Not even doable. :(

COBRA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I left my company in 2014, I promptly got a letter from HR offering continuation of coverage through my employer-sponsored plan OR going through ACA for competitive pricing. The letter was strongly suggestive of going through ACA, but I chose to use COBRA at a cost of $500/month (single, no dependents) for a couple of months. The insurance company demanded that the premium be withdrawn directly from my checking or savings account instead of mailing them a check. I elected not to take COBRA for the third month and crossed my fingers, although I could possibly have had the option of retroactively taking the third month if something had happened (not certain about this). By "retroactively," I mean that I would have had to do it very quickly and not let a full 30 days pass (read the paperwork VERY carefully; there is a grace period I believe).

BTW, the 2nd premium was automatically withdrawn from my savings account. The insurance company couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't automatically withdraw a 3rd payment, even though I cancelled the policy (I had new coverage by then with a new employer), so I simply closed out my savings account and started a new one so they wouldn't have access. I didn't want them to withdraw payment without my approval and then have to fight to get it back.

COBRA is worth it if you can afford it. I had met deductibles, and the coverage was pretty good. I used COBRA one other time some 12 years ago, and at that time it was ~300/month, so $500 was pretty reasonable, IMO.

Similar Messages:

Cobra Insurance
Feb 04, 2011

I work for Transcend and am a bit worried as there is no work and will not qualify for insurance.  Does anybody know how much Cobra is through Transcend with Aetna?  I have the lowest plan for a family of 4.  Any help would be great.   I hate to contact HR and send red signals. ...

Ex Transcend Cobra Insurance
Dec 06, 2012

I have already asked HR in case someone wants to tell me to do that and I was given a copy of a generic letter stating this and that date I would received a letter and they could not provide any information...Is there anyone that has quit Transcend and can tell me what your cobra was to be for just you.  Thanks! ...

Cost Of Hightest/best Insurance On COBRA
Dec 12, 2014

Does anyone know what the current cost of COBRA is for the highest level of insurance (the "better" one) that Nuance offers is for a single person?  (Well, single in that no other members are claimed.) I've been offered an IC job that pays very well, but I have to keep my insurance (as crappy as this policy is).  I know I can get healthcare through the marketplace thingy, but I'm wondering if I just needed to take COBRA for a bit, how much would it cost. Please only respond ...

I Only Have Dental And Vision Insurance. Would I Be Eligible For COBRA For Those?
May 05, 2011

I only have dental and vision insurance. Would i be eligible for COBRA for those? ...

Ophthalmus On The Left With Slight Ptosis On The Left Secondary To *metrofeed* Left Eye Globe? Thank
Aug 31, 2010

nm ...

Cobra
Nov 08, 2011

Anyone let go or quit that applied for Cobra.  If so, how much did it cost, or percentage of what we pay anyway.  Thanks in advance ...

Cobra. Sm
Jan 26, 2013

I am confused. I signed up for medical, dental, and vision insurance and the amounts are being deducted from my pay check.  Why have I received a letter about Cobra and have to reply no later than 03/2013 in order to continue vision and dental.  I am mixed up.  I guess I am dense. It's from E Cobra.  What is this?  Thanks for you help.  I know I could contact human resources, which I may on Monday, but thought I'd see if you can help me. Thanks in advance. ...

Left Double *clocking* System In The Left Kidney Repaired. Thanks. Nm
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

Anyone Know How Much Cobra Is For Transtech?
Jan 29, 2010

nm ...

Cobra Premium
Feb 18, 2010

Does anybody know how much the full Cobra premium would be if you didn't qualify for Obama's subsidy after leaving MQ? ...

401K, Cobra After MQ
Nov 16, 2010

Does any one know how long it takes to get your 401K after giving notice to MQ.  I'm seriously contemplating getting out of here.  Also, does any one know how Cobra is calculated.  Thanks. ...

COBRA - Pls See Msg For Question
May 11, 2011

Is there a way to find out what COBRA would cost you if you left your job w/o employer finding out?  ...

Cobra Cost
Sep 13, 2012

What are others on Cobra doing w/regards to high deductible? At this, I won't be able to afford any meds. ...

Transcend COBRA
Nov 15, 2012

I was wondering if anyone had left Transcend or has any idea how much COBRA is with them.  I have an email in to HR already and a meeting with my super later and I may just voluntarily go part time if they do not make me.  I have had sickness on top of running out of work so low pay checks lately and not meeting minimums and medical is an issue for me since I have preexisting I cannot get an individual policy.  I have been so stressed and rather than even discuss it it may be easi ...

Anyone Know How Much COBRA Costs?
Feb 21, 2013

Just considering my options. That's all I'm saying. I have the cheaper of the 2 health insurance plans, as well as the dental and vision plans. ...

COBRA - Would Be Eligible
Dec 27, 2013

Does anyone know if one would be eligible for COBRA or Obamacare if they quit say around February or March, way later than the deadline to sign up for the ACA? ...

Landmarkers - Anything More About Our COBRA Situation?
Jan 27, 2011

Has anyone heard anything more about our COBRA situation?  Aren't we supposed to have heard something by now? ...

Does Anyone Know How Much Single Cobra Is For WMX For Medical,
Jul 20, 2011

nm ...

Does Any LMarker Know How The Payment For Cobra Is To Be Made? No Message
Jan 30, 2011

nm ...

Moving From EE Status To Self-employed; COBRA Or Individual
Feb 18, 2013

In my late 50's, health history mainly diabetic and overweight...in general, have those of you who have made a similar change found premiums of individual plans to be better or worse than offered through COBRA?  Thanks for any input. ...

Pt With Boxer's Fracture - Plan: Treat With A S/l Cobra Splint?
Aug 20, 2011

x ...

Electroencephalogram: Left Temporal Focal Slowing In The 6 Hz Range With Left Temporal Sharp Transie
Apr 18, 2010

nm ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Sounds Like "cobra" Cast. PT Has A Boxer's Fracture....
Dec 28, 2009

He really sounds like he is saying "cobra cast" but cannot locate in Stedman's or online.  The VR actually picked it up as Kober cast, but I cannot locate that term either, and it really does sound like "cobra."  Anyone come across this one?  Thanks in advance.  :) ...

Preop Diagnosis Is S/l"kay-less" Foot Left. The Procedure Is Left S/l "cold" Mid
May 26, 2010

left calcaneal osteotomy.  ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

"right And Left Foot" Or "right And Left Feet"
Jun 13, 2011

This doc always says, "right and left foot", but i cant help but think that it should be "right and left feet"..... Can someone clear this up for me?   For example:  The patient comes in today for examinatin of his right and left foot.  or   The patient's right and left foot appears in normal condition.   ...

Left Hip WHAT??
Jan 07, 2011

I have no idea what that last word is (spelled phonetically), but here is the sentence in its entirety.  Hopefully someone can help shed some light on it. Patient was admitted from an outpatient setting on ..... for elective left total hip replacement secondary to history of left hip "skiffy".  ...