A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cannot improve FIESA no matter how hard I try - new but old

Posted: Dec 26, 2013

They have got me so paranoid now that it is all I can do to work.  I am so upset and nervous over everything that I type that I find myself making stupid errors now that I would never make normally.  They have nitpicked me to death and I have been on non DSP and DSP and my audit now has fallen again.  They review me to death and the majority of those are 100% and the few (won't name how many in case they are reading this) that they pick have hardly any lines in them and they found an error in 2 of them which brought my percentage down to an all time low which of course is well below their liking.  I have to keep this job unfortunately otherwise I would tell them what they could do.  Instead I now have to jump through hoops to get it back up there to their liking.  Just about ready to throw up. 

Passing Probation - sefrost53

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a recent Everett graduate, newly hired at Nuance since 11/18. I am struggling with doing a good job but my reviews are not great, and I've been dinged for errors that I don't think were valid, although most were valid. My % has been 98.37, and my trending report shows progress. How badly do I screw up before they fire me? They said I have 90 days to get better.

Wow, your accuracy % is better than mine and I've been....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
doing this for 17 years!! My accuracy score the last time I checked was somewhere around 97% and dropping quickly for so many reasons (mostly the fact that Offshore QA does my post-audits and pick my reports part until they look like a failing 1st grade spelling test).

I think that if you're a newbie and your trending report is showing you making progress, you probably stand a better chance of keeping your job than someone like me with 17 years of experience who is being beaten to death by post-audit QA. :)

Of course, I haven't been threatened with termination...yet... But then again, it wouldn't be a threat to me...it would be more like a dream come true! LOL

Believe me, there are so many open positions within this company right now, I don't think they can afford to fire anyone with a halfway decent accuracy score because if they did fire all of us that are being beaten down with FIESA and accuracy scores, then there would be NO ONE working during the critical shifts, except maybe the offshore MLS. Just my opinion...

I'm a 30-year MT - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
With a 98%, which is about where we all are. They will keep you as low as they can to make sure you're whipped and don't expect a bonus ever, but with 500 jobs vacant, I think you can screw up pretty bad before you get fired because if they fired all of us who got 98% they would have double that to fill. And incidentally, before I made the mistake of coming to nuance last year I had been QA for 2 other companies over the last 7 years with 100% QA 10 of the last 12 months. It's not just you!

Thanks QA! - sefrost53

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your encouraging words. Of course I don't want to be a thorn in the company's side or, more importantly, embarrass myself. If the orders from Above are to keep me going despite my numerous and stupid errors, I won't sweat the first 30 days so much.

I have 2 jobs - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 2 jobs and it amazes me how my accuracy with the other one stays over 99% and their requirement is above 98% but when it comes to N they are killing me. I admit the errors they pointed me out for I made but there were so many little ones 0.25 that when you put them in a small report it brings your percentage way down. It just is so upsetting when you try your best but they intimidate you so bad. I have to keep this job. If I slow too much further down, then I won't meet their LPH which is also ridiculous. On my other job I consistently do over 250 LPH. So so upsetting
Feel for all of you. Nuance needs to revamp their QA - system and get rid of FIESA
[ In Reply To ..]
If it doesn't directly effect patient care then back off. I can see giving a person a heads up or an FYI, but unless it's serious like medication, diagnoses, labs, wrong age or gender etc. then points should not be taken off unless the MT is consistently making the same mistake.
FIESA is not actually used for QA anymore - but as a tool to take away our bonuses
[ In Reply To ..]
Or should I say QA has become a tool to take away our bonuses. It would never have occurred to me even a few years ago that it would be used as such - even if you made a bad error and it was caught, complained about by the client even, you were simply given cautions, extra coaching, watched for awhile.

It was unimaginable that you would get your pay docked for 3 months because of a few errors.

They really snuck it in there and now via FIESA are making it even easier to reduce us all to minimum wage slaves.

It's not really a bonus at all, it's a penalty, and they don't even tell us how many of us achieve this great bonus, so for all we know it could be a very low percentage, in fact I believe it would be, especially with the latest round of higher percentage requirement for bonus and more points taken off per item.

We are just a line item to be reduced and they are achieving that whatever way they can, we are sitting ducks.

Where did you get your information re. SM - MTtoo

[ In Reply To ..]
500 jobs vacant??

I'm afraid to tell you. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Cannot improve FIESA... - 7th child

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy can I relate. I ran out of work today, only got about 6 reports, and over half were dictators talking 100 miles an hour and I knew... sure enough
just looked at my email, a good ol' FIESA 6 pack, stupid errors too! One critical for a vitamin dose.
6 reports + 6 FIESA dings = I'm an idiot
Sigh....

Cannot improve FIESA - burnedoutco

[ In Reply To ..]
I know how you feel in regards to the anxiety and paranoia, believe me. I have been a transcriptionist for over 27 years, mostly in hospitals, and my accuracy has never, ever been an issue. You CAN'T win with Fiesa. Just today I got around 92% accuracy on a pended report because of "invalid blanks." I left the blanks because in the beginning he said left and later right. I left the blanks because of that same paranoia even though I could probably have figured out if it was left or right from previous reports (like I have the time to constantly check other reports and still make enough lines, not) but I also could have gotten dinged for "failure to flag." I get dinged if I add a header that is not dictated and I also get dinged if I don't add a header that is not dictated. So really you can't win. I honestly don't know their criteria for termination. I know they threaten. I am going to be out of here next year. I am in no way criticing, I so understand wanting to work from home, but why do you have to keep this job for the long term? Is it worth your health? At least look at other options as it is so depressing to feel trapped in a bad situation. I hate being threatened and it makes me sick to my stomach also. I have gotten so many bad ESL dictators this week, I don't think I will make even minimum wage and so I will get the threatening MUP e-mail telling me to get my act together in so many words. The more they threaten, the more conscientious people will leave and they will be left with those who just don't care, and they are out there. I have a friend who is a QA for another company and she can't believe how bad some of the transcriptionists out there are, though the really bad ones do end up getting fired. Good luck, but you can jump through a million hoops and it will never, ever be good enough, no matter how hard you try.

Improving FIESA - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not because you're new at this - all of us seasoned MTs are in the same boat. It's so abusive. I'd give my right arm to be out of this industry. This company demands absolute perfection and unwilling to pay for it.

Fiesa errors - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I keep a log of my job # and a quick note if there was something unusual. I keep an excel spreadsheet open and have a macro to copy the job # into my spreadsheet, then return me to the document so it doesn't take much time. I had a job returned with some really horrible major errors and my confidence was totally shaken. When I checked my spreadsheets, I never typed that job!! I showed them all my spreadsheets and they investigated and it was NOT my report!! I would have felt like quitting if I had made those errors!

just discouraged - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
It is just to the point that I don't care. It amazes me that I can do the same job for my other company and my accuracy is 99.6. I can leave over 2 blanks if I am unsure and am not dinged for leaving what they deem an "invalid blank" I am not going to guess and then be marked off more. The other company doesn't penalize me for that. I don't get the grief that Nuance gives me. At least I have them as a backup if I get fired from Nuance. I am now having to complete all these programs on ENRICH which are "supposed to help." I wish they realized that if they just left us all alone and let us do our work that everything would be so much better. I have done this for over 15 years. I am not an idiot, but they sure make me feel like one with their reports. Actually had no nasty emails this morning so we will see how long it takes. Of course they already took away any chance of a bonus for this week, so they will probably ignore me until next week

Similar Messages:

No Matter How Hard I Try, I Just Cannot Keep My Lph Up.
Jan 30, 2015

I'm surprised I haven't received performance management yet. I just cannot keep my line count up high enough since going to Fluency 7.6. This is too frustrating. Maybe I should copy a job into Word and see if the line count matches. Although, it could be because the ASR output has been so horrible and I am stopping 3x more to make corrections. I don't get why ASR outputs synonyms of what was said and alternative ways to phrase what was said, not to mention the downright w ...

Is It Gray Matter Or Grey Matter Pls
Feb 11, 2015

x ...

Using VR To Improve Pay..question
Nov 14, 2010

Does anyone know if it is possible to just play the dictation out loud on your computer and use VR software to transcribe it for you, and edit it as it goes along? I feel that if it were that simple, more people would be doing it..... ...

Need To Improve My Lines
Aug 12, 2012

I need suggestions for more lines per hour. It seems like I am working right along and do not let any grass grow under my fingers but when I look at my lines, it seems it should be more. I have IT and use it religiously. There are next to no templates in this account and yet they expect 150 cpl an hour. When I get OR reports with templates it really goes up but there is very little of that. I work and am paid by the hour and only when I am in a file typing. Any suggestions for improvement? ...

The Only Way To Improve The Already Impossible 99% Is To
Oct 10, 2012

and correct the doctor before mistakes are made or ASR populates incorrect words/phrases....unfrigginbelievable ...

Software To Improve Performance?
Dec 03, 2010

I am having a computer problem hope you can help...I have a laptop that I had to replaced the hard drive in about 6 weeks or so ago.  When we first got it back, it worked faster than before.  Now, less than 2 months later, it is really slow.  I defragment the hard drive once a week, etc. but it has not helped.  The PC that I use for work (I do not use for anything but work) never has had a problem with getting slower but with the laptop it is bad.  Of cous ...

Has Anybody Been Able To Improve On The Sound Quality At AP? Sm
Sep 23, 2012

I have done absolutely everything that I can think of and it's still horrible!  I upgraded from WinXP and Word 2002 and bought a brand new, faster computer with Win7 and Word 2010.  I bought the recommended USB headphones.  Although Spectra headphones aren't considered very good quality, the USB made the sound louder but not clearer.  It still sounds muffled.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the sound quality when I went from the old computer and the USB ...

How Does QC Improve Line Counts When There Is Never Any Work?
May 22, 2015

We are told in a very rah-rah manner to "Improve your line counts and this grid will be great!" There is not enough QC work to perform as it is when all we need is 150 lph. What will happen Saturday when we go on production and need to bang out the lines and there are no lines to be had? This is total madness for them to even attempt this. Making plans to get out ASAP.   The work I do Friday will be considered meeting metrics if I do 150 lph at 99%.  That same work the next day will g ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

Is There Any Software Program To Download To Improve Sound Quality/tone?
Jun 28, 2012

for Windows 7.  Thanks for your help.  ...

Left Nuance After 2 Years, Suggestions To Improve Work Ethic?
Jan 02, 2015

just got so discouraged with Nuance.  Now with a new company and want to improve production and attitude.  Still like transcription. ...

Getting Out Of MT -- No Matter WHAT!
Feb 26, 2012

My 2-1/2-decade MT career is coming to an end. When I think back on how *HAPPY* I was back in the good ole days (late 80s into late 90s) as an MT and then contrast that with the picture now, it makes me want to cry.  We made GOOD money for someone without a degree, had GOOD benefits, and were at least somewhat appreciated back then.  In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20), working conditions began going downhill when we became isolated from the physicians (as if we w ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Size DOES Matter, LOL!
Oct 03, 2010

"The patient's penis is cucumber sized," courtesy of ASR. Dictated as, "The patient's penis is circumcised."  Good one, ASR...at least I got a giggle out of THAT boo-boo! ...

Hey Vern. If What We Does Matter, Pay Us Like We
May 20, 2013

x ...

Does It Even Matter Anymore?
Feb 18, 2015

https://www.kalibrr.com/advice/2015/02/top-4-reasons-why-good-employees-quit/     I'm sure it falls on deaf ears... I absolutely got the message that they don't care!   ...

S/l Coloso White Matter Changes
Nov 29, 2010

"There are no periventricular or (coloso) white matter changes".  TIA! ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

No Matter What Your Experience, Nuance Will NOT Pay More Than
Jul 24, 2012

would like to make a lateral move away from Mmodal and their Big Brother schedule and time clock, but I make 9 cpl and would at least like to keep that with 40% less for VR.  Anybody been successful in negotiating a lateral move with same pay? ...

A Matter Of National Security?
Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we s ...

Why Does Upload Speed Matter?
Jan 10, 2013

I don't get it. Suddenly companies are asking about download & upload speed of my computer. My computer has worked just fine for MT work for over 9 years now. Nobody has ever asked about the speed before, and I've never had any problems. Now I'm looking for work and because my upload speed isn't 1.5 or above, places won't hire me despite my qualifications.  ...

No Matter What Your Personal Feelings Are
Mar 11, 2014

Okay you hate MM and you think this is just another trick they are pulling.  Then don't apply for the coding training.  But please do not discourage other people from going for it.  This could turn out to be a great opportunity for them. ...

Document All Correspondence. No Matter How
Aug 07, 2014

employer is. Documentation is the key to self-preservation. ...

What Platform Does Nuance Use, Or Does It Matter Which
Jan 06, 2015

account you get assigned? Am wondering as I just applied so just curious. ...

Grey Or Gray???? Matter Of Brain
Jun 16, 2010

Does anyone know which is correct?  I have seen both ways and no note in AAMT.  Thanks! ...

Does Company Feedback Really Matter In This Industry?
Jun 22, 2011

I read in my textbooks that an MT should not be heard and that complaining about the way in which doctors and PAs, etc dictate is not relevant in this industry.  They don't want to hear it. It has always been my belief that it takes two to tango, especially if you want to produce anything of quality. I was recently pondering if it will do any good to tell this company what I believe I am seeing.  This is probably suicide but I don't like to take the blame for something I am n ...

Piriform Or Pyriform Sinus, Or Does It Matter?
Apr 15, 2011

NM ...

Doesn't Matter How Many Lines You Produce
May 18, 2012

If you don't have any work available.  Whether it is due to improvement in ASR, etc. etc., (song and dance here), there are too many fingers in the pie. I don't see how any company can hold employees hostage to get 40 hours when the employees have scheduled work times and there is nothing for them to do in their *scheduled* hours...they are told to *flex*, then they *flex* to other days and there is still no work. It's like being on-call....be available 24/7 because they * ...

Post-Audit Scores Are The Only Ones That Matter
Mar 23, 2013

The only scores that matter for your QA are the ones marked "Post-Audit."  I don't sign or even look at the others. ...