A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need to improve my lines - JW

Posted: Aug 12, 2012

I need suggestions for more lines per hour. It seems like I am working right along and do not let any grass grow under my fingers but when I look at my lines, it seems it should be more. I have IT and use it religiously. There are next to no templates in this account and yet they expect 150 cpl an hour. When I get OR reports with templates it really goes up but there is very little of that. I work and am paid by the hour and only when I am in a file typing. Any suggestions for improvement? Also I don't know if they count spaces or not.

I think 150 is low, even with no templates - not sure what is holding you back

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no templates and typically type 250 to 275 lines per hour and edit about 250 per hour.

All I can say is use your shortcuts (expanders) and keep your nose on the screen. If you have to stop to look up a lot of stuff, that will slow you down. Maybe get better/faster at research?

I have the same problem, and use expanders, and - some shortcuts. But many - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
of the shortcuts are "longcuts" for me. I can mouse much faster than I can navigate around the screen using multiple keystrokes. What slows me down is my company's slow, slower, SLOWEST transcription software. When you have to wait up to a minute between keystrokes while entering demographic info, something is definitely wrong. Even working 2-4 hrs of [unpaid] overtime, I've never even met their minimum, let alone exceeded it. And they're now about 90% VR, and their VR system borders on the absurd in its inaccuracy.

So, don't be too quick to blame the MT. Most of us are busting our butts to try to do more and more work. Usually for less and less pay. Most of us are at or near the breaking point.

The platform and the way they count lines is probably - the problem. See Msg.

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember some years ago I worked a part-time job IC for a company and the platform was horrible, it literally could take anywhere from from 1 to 3 minutes to download a job.

And if there were no demographics, you had to do a lot of work just to get them entered. Often times after having been on it for more than 4hrs it would start to stick while I was typing and it was like I would type a sentence but it wouldn't show up on the screen till a couple seconds later.

It sucked. Not to mention they were mainly all clinic notes and were pretty short. I had tons of templates, but with the system being so slow and the way the counted lines, it would take forever to get my rate out. I eventually quit.

Keep in mind it may be their platform and the way they are calculating lines. Because I would fly at my regular job and have my line count in like 6hrs into an 8hr shift, but with that place it took almost 8hrs to do 4hrs worth of work. Good luck.

Have you done line ct to be sure what you get as a line ct is - the same as what MTSO says SM

[ In Reply To ..]
your line ct is? That is your first step. Find out what you come up with for a line ct. And easy enough to find out if you get paid for spaces. ASK SOMEONE WITH THE COMPANY. Start with your team lead and them make your way up the ladder if lead can't tell you.

Line Counts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm having the same problem as the OP and it's so frustrating. I use IT, autocorrect, templates, etc, but am still sorely lacking.

I am interested in knowing if there are accurate line counters out there somewhere. I use Word as a platform, but am unsure if theirs is accurate.

some ideas... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First, definitely find out if they are paying you for spaces or not.

Next, even if there are no templates on this account, try to make "shorthand" entries for words.

Pretend you are taking handwritten notes, and instead of spelling out "lymphadenopathy", you abbreviate it. Learn to type this way. Abbreviate everything you can think of - just like if you were taking notes. I never used a shorthand program. I have always used the autotext and autocorrect utilities in MS Word, and have found them invaluable for this purpose.

i.e.: pu (pulse); hr (heart rate); bp (BP), blo (blood pressure); cmp (cardiomyopathy); lv (LV); lve (left ventricular); rve (right ventricular); edp (end-diastolic pressure) -- you get the idea.

Make the abbreviations 1) meaningful to you and 2) unambiguous.

I could type 200 per hour; with ASR down to - 150 and making 40%

[ In Reply To ..]
less per line. I have over 20 years' experience. It is the work and the accounts sometimes. I am a worker, worker, worker, put in ALL my time, no breaks, no phone calls -- still can't do but 150.

The problem is - those 3 letters

[ In Reply To ..]
ASR. Not sure if the poster above meant it in a good way or not when she said she can type 250-275 (I think) and 250 with ASR, but that tells you right there that ASR sucks. It is the new people that seem to be okay with 250 on ASR making half the money. I guess that is why these companies don't mind getting newbies and losing all their seasoned employees. Seasoned employees are not okay with making half the pay.

I am NOT okay with making half due to ASR - holding you back

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so not okay with it, but how am I going to change it. I have to work until I finish school. I was trying to answer the OP, that is all.

Did not - mean
[ In Reply To ..]
to criticize you personally. I was just trying to point out that nobody is making line counts with ASR. She may have a slower speed typing than the 250-275 , maybe she only types 150 or so, and 150 on ASR is all she can get.
That is why I suggested better/faster research skills - holding you back
[ In Reply To ..]
It did feel like you were critizing me personally, but apology accepted.

I just wanted to help.
No, I - was
[ In Reply To ..]
your numbers of an example of how lousy ASR is. There is no reason why you (or anybody) should type as fast or faster than ASR, which is what is happening. I can't type as fast as you, I type about 180-200 and I would not be happy unless I could get 360-400 on ASR, which is not the case. I can only get about 250, thus a big pay cut. ASR is the biggest scam I have seen in a long time.

Similar Messages:

Using VR To Improve Pay..question
Nov 14, 2010

Does anyone know if it is possible to just play the dictation out loud on your computer and use VR software to transcribe it for you, and edit it as it goes along? I feel that if it were that simple, more people would be doing it..... ...

The Only Way To Improve The Already Impossible 99% Is To
Oct 10, 2012

and correct the doctor before mistakes are made or ASR populates incorrect words/phrases....unfrigginbelievable ...

Software To Improve Performance?
Dec 03, 2010

I am having a computer problem hope you can help...I have a laptop that I had to replaced the hard drive in about 6 weeks or so ago.  When we first got it back, it worked faster than before.  Now, less than 2 months later, it is really slow.  I defragment the hard drive once a week, etc. but it has not helped.  The PC that I use for work (I do not use for anything but work) never has had a problem with getting slower but with the laptop it is bad.  Of cous ...

Has Anybody Been Able To Improve On The Sound Quality At AP? Sm
Sep 23, 2012

I have done absolutely everything that I can think of and it's still horrible!  I upgraded from WinXP and Word 2002 and bought a brand new, faster computer with Win7 and Word 2010.  I bought the recommended USB headphones.  Although Spectra headphones aren't considered very good quality, the USB made the sound louder but not clearer.  It still sounds muffled.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the sound quality when I went from the old computer and the USB ...

Cannot Improve FIESA No Matter How Hard I Try
Dec 26, 2013

They have got me so paranoid now that it is all I can do to work.  I am so upset and nervous over everything that I type that I find myself making stupid errors now that I would never make normally.  They have nitpicked me to death and I have been on non DSP and DSP and my audit now has fallen again.  They review me to death and the majority of those are 100% and the few (won't name how many in case they are reading this) that they pick have hardly any lines in them and they ...

How Does QC Improve Line Counts When There Is Never Any Work?
May 22, 2015

We are told in a very rah-rah manner to "Improve your line counts and this grid will be great!" There is not enough QC work to perform as it is when all we need is 150 lph. What will happen Saturday when we go on production and need to bang out the lines and there are no lines to be had? This is total madness for them to even attempt this. Making plans to get out ASAP.   The work I do Friday will be considered meeting metrics if I do 150 lph at 99%.  That same work the next day will g ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

Is There Any Software Program To Download To Improve Sound Quality/tone?
Jun 28, 2012

for Windows 7.  Thanks for your help.  ...

Left Nuance After 2 Years, Suggestions To Improve Work Ethic?
Jan 02, 2015

just got so discouraged with Nuance.  Now with a new company and want to improve production and attitude.  Still like transcription. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...

My First VR Job....how Many Lines?
Mar 29, 2012

The company that hired me as an IC wants to know how many lines I will agree to produce per day.  This will be my first job as doing voice recognition.  I am clueless.  I know how many lines I can transcribe but this is a totally different ballgame, right?  I do not want to over comit.  How would you suggest I handle this question on their forms?  TIA ...

How Do They Keep Up With VR Lines?
May 21, 2012

When I check to see how many lines I've done today there are none for the work I've done with VR.  How can they tell what I'd done? Do they just guess????????? I'd not be surprised at all. ...

Pay Per Pt Vs Lines
May 23, 2012

i transcribe for a local physician and get paid per patient (and not very much!) instead of by the line.  i've been doing this for a couple of years now and just cannot get used to not being paid by the line.....it's like i just eat, sleep and breathe by the line!!!  and i cannot even get the physician to even try to understand how being paid by the line works.  needless to say, there is a huge discrepancy in pay between per patient and lines and even more so when i' ...

How Many Lines In A Day?
Dec 08, 2012

I am curious as to how many lines on average you do in a day.  Please no posts complaining about lack of work or big bad MTSOs...  I really am just looking for a number and would really like to try to get this info with as little drama as possible.   Thank you :) ...

VR Lines
Jan 29, 2013

Can any large producer out there tell me how many lines they are able to do in voice per hour?  I cannot get past 400 and was wondering if anyone could.   ...

How Many Lines??
May 17, 2013

Seriously, does anyone know how many lines per hour it would take to make a $1400.00 gross paycheck, not counting the "quarterly bonus" figuring my QA score was 99.5... lol!!! I used to know and achieve this back the Webmedx days, right now I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Lines
Dec 09, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the LPH average has dropped? I am typing more than I was and yet it is still lower significantly?  ...

QT Lines?
Dec 17, 2014

Where are the QT lines that we used to get paid 1 cent for?  I don't see any of that listed on the time card. ...