A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Using VR to improve pay..question - me

Posted: Nov 14, 2010

Does anyone know if it is possible to just play the dictation out loud on your computer and use VR software to transcribe it for you, and edit it as it goes along? I feel that if it were that simple, more people would be doing it.....

cannot be done sm - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
The voice engine in VR has to be trained to recognize the dictator's voice. Without that, you're trying to fit the car key from a Chevy into a Ford.

another way... - horseonamattress

[ In Reply To ..]
... SB is right, it won't work that way; however, there's another way: Google "echo dictation." I've tried it; it works pretty well, once you get your personal VR software thoroughly trained.

Redictating does work well - JLH

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been redictating everything for 6 months now. It's getting better all the time, and I'm still using Dragon 9.5. The newer version is even faster. My last QA was 99.94%. Once you develop your technique for being able to proof your work as it prints out, you can begin making the kind of money we all used to make doing this work. If you work on VR, you can take those reports that you know are typically productive to edit and redictate everything else. In fact, I think this is the only way to go if you're using M-Modal, as that's the worst platform there is. It's terribly unpredictable and tends to get worse as the day goes on.

Personally, I only messed with VR editing long enough to move on. I found work with a good company that only has accounts that require traditional transcription. They don't have any accounts that allow physicians to use VR and then expect us to fix it, and I am enjoying my work again. I redictate exclusively right now. Once I upgrade to a newer version of Dragon, I will go back to typing reports that I really can't save any time on by redictating. Most reports, however, go much quicker redictating them. My experience now is that a good deal of the time it feels like I'm just watching the report appear on my screen as I hear it. It's fun, it's accurate, and it's where the technology should have been all along.

VR doesn't work unless we fix it for them. It can't be trusted to produce reports accurately with any consistency at all without us editing the many mistakes VR makes. I'm grateful I'm still able to refuse to slave for the ingrates that are perfectly content to line their pockets with our knowledge and expertise.

To them I say - if you want to use VR, go for it, and live with what you get. If, however, you want a document that makes since, you're going to have to pay me to fix it for you. There are alternatives to this ripoff being perpetrated on our profession, and we should all be looking for them and moving in that direction.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Similar Messages:

Need To Improve My Lines
Aug 12, 2012

I need suggestions for more lines per hour. It seems like I am working right along and do not let any grass grow under my fingers but when I look at my lines, it seems it should be more. I have IT and use it religiously. There are next to no templates in this account and yet they expect 150 cpl an hour. When I get OR reports with templates it really goes up but there is very little of that. I work and am paid by the hour and only when I am in a file typing. Any suggestions for improvement? ...

The Only Way To Improve The Already Impossible 99% Is To
Oct 10, 2012

and correct the doctor before mistakes are made or ASR populates incorrect words/phrases....unfrigginbelievable ...

Software To Improve Performance?
Dec 03, 2010

I am having a computer problem hope you can help...I have a laptop that I had to replaced the hard drive in about 6 weeks or so ago.  When we first got it back, it worked faster than before.  Now, less than 2 months later, it is really slow.  I defragment the hard drive once a week, etc. but it has not helped.  The PC that I use for work (I do not use for anything but work) never has had a problem with getting slower but with the laptop it is bad.  Of cous ...

Has Anybody Been Able To Improve On The Sound Quality At AP? Sm
Sep 23, 2012

I have done absolutely everything that I can think of and it's still horrible!  I upgraded from WinXP and Word 2002 and bought a brand new, faster computer with Win7 and Word 2010.  I bought the recommended USB headphones.  Although Spectra headphones aren't considered very good quality, the USB made the sound louder but not clearer.  It still sounds muffled.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the sound quality when I went from the old computer and the USB ...

Cannot Improve FIESA No Matter How Hard I Try
Dec 26, 2013

They have got me so paranoid now that it is all I can do to work.  I am so upset and nervous over everything that I type that I find myself making stupid errors now that I would never make normally.  They have nitpicked me to death and I have been on non DSP and DSP and my audit now has fallen again.  They review me to death and the majority of those are 100% and the few (won't name how many in case they are reading this) that they pick have hardly any lines in them and they ...

How Does QC Improve Line Counts When There Is Never Any Work?
May 22, 2015

We are told in a very rah-rah manner to "Improve your line counts and this grid will be great!" There is not enough QC work to perform as it is when all we need is 150 lph. What will happen Saturday when we go on production and need to bang out the lines and there are no lines to be had? This is total madness for them to even attempt this. Making plans to get out ASAP.   The work I do Friday will be considered meeting metrics if I do 150 lph at 99%.  That same work the next day will g ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

Is There Any Software Program To Download To Improve Sound Quality/tone?
Jun 28, 2012

for Windows 7.  Thanks for your help.  ...

Left Nuance After 2 Years, Suggestions To Improve Work Ethic?
Jan 02, 2015

just got so discouraged with Nuance.  Now with a new company and want to improve production and attitude.  Still like transcription. ...