A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you think that as the economy improves that industry wide salaries will begin to improve? - Pumpkins

Posted: Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward?

Thanks in advance for your input.

No. The salaries were the same as they are - now before the economy tanked.

[ In Reply To ..]
z

Economy - Grandy

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not. I have been doing this for 12 years, and it has only gotten worse; companies want more work for less money, and it is difficult to even make minimum wage, at least for the company I work for.

We really should be more worried about the wealthy classes. What are they - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
going to do if we don't extend their special tax break? After all, when we work so hard to earn $30K, I just can't imagine how they must slave to earn the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars that accrue to them. As one of our elected national leaders said just last week, the wealthy have suffered more than anyone from this recession. It's just not fair.

absolutely not - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
The reality is VR is the future of US transcription and the pay will never come up. We will also continue to see a shrinking need for MTs since two or three VR MTs can do the work that one used to do on straight typing (for the same price), which means for us, besides working harder for the same pay, we will compete with other MTs for the jobs left, so there is another reason why pay will not go back up. I'm not going to comment on whether VR is good or bad or pay is good or bad. This is just the way it is and you either okay with that and accept it or you don't. If you don't, then you start figuring out your plan B.

Lots of truth, although we're not doing twice the work, just - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
being twice as productive. The big factor left out, though, is that the number of patients will increase. All sectors of health care jobs are expected to grow over the coming decade, even ours (at this point) in whatever form it takes.

I do twice the work - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know about you, but I have to do 2-1/2 times the lines I used to to make up for the pay difference in VR and get the checks I'm used to, so I consider that twice the work. You can call it being more productive. The point is it only took one MT to do it instead of 2.

I agree that the number of patients will increase and healthcare jobs in general will increase, but how much of that growing base of dictation will be done through point and click EMR systems that require no MT at any point of report generation? Of course it won't be all of it, but many offices, ERs, etc. have already gone to these systems and gotten rid of their MTs completely.
pumpernickel - rye
[ In Reply To ..]
And I work for a company that runs out of work every 10 minutes. Problem is, I have a family to support.

pay will only go up when the MTs are hard to find. - not economy--its supply and demand, sadly.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

Industry Wide Production Requirement Increase?
Apr 04, 2011

The company I work for just increased our production requirements from 220 to 240 LPH for ASR and for straight transcription from 150 to 160 LPH.  They gave their reason as industry-wide production requirement increases.  Anyone else out there have the same problem. ...

In This Economy, Would You (sm)
Mar 07, 2012

take a job with a one hour commute?  It is an in-house transcription position and pays $16.  I know it is not the greatest pay but at this point I am wondering if it is worth it just to get out from the whole MTSO thing.  Honest opinions appreciated. ...

Organized Or Not, MT Or Not, Global Economy Or Not,
Aug 16, 2011

During a time when millions of Americans are out of work, with no hope in sight of finding another job, and people up in Washington jabbering away about "Fixing the economy", the bottom line, and the truth, is this: No American company should be putting bigger profits ahead of all else.  Not when so many skilled Americans are in such dire need.  It's just not right, and it's time to tell the government we won't tolerate their allowing big business to squash the rest of ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

Article About Economy Slump Pushing Ppl Down The Ladder. MT
Sep 10, 2012

x ...

Using VR To Improve Pay..question
Nov 14, 2010

Does anyone know if it is possible to just play the dictation out loud on your computer and use VR software to transcribe it for you, and edit it as it goes along? I feel that if it were that simple, more people would be doing it..... ...

Need To Improve My Lines
Aug 12, 2012

I need suggestions for more lines per hour. It seems like I am working right along and do not let any grass grow under my fingers but when I look at my lines, it seems it should be more. I have IT and use it religiously. There are next to no templates in this account and yet they expect 150 cpl an hour. When I get OR reports with templates it really goes up but there is very little of that. I work and am paid by the hour and only when I am in a file typing. Any suggestions for improvement? ...

The Only Way To Improve The Already Impossible 99% Is To
Oct 10, 2012

and correct the doctor before mistakes are made or ASR populates incorrect words/phrases....unfrigginbelievable ...

MT Salaries
Aug 15, 2010

I was looking at the job postings at the local hospital and noticed something very odd.  The hospital here is hiring kitchen aides with no experience or education and the pay offered is $700 a month more than what they are offering for their MT positions.  Kitchen helpers are starting at $2769/month while MTs are starting at $2069.  Something is wrong with that picture.  I was thinking of applying as an MT, but now thinking maybe I should just apply as a kitchen aide.  I ...

Salaries
Oct 13, 2011

I found out today that a local community pays teenagers $11 an hours for temporary summer jobs.  Are you making $11 an hour?  Does an MT with 20 years experience deserve more than a teenager with a summer job?  I still work for MQ because it's just a few hours a week to supplement SS.  If I were younger, I would do anything and everything I could to get the heck out of here. ...

Software To Improve Performance?
Dec 03, 2010

I am having a computer problem hope you can help...I have a laptop that I had to replaced the hard drive in about 6 weeks or so ago.  When we first got it back, it worked faster than before.  Now, less than 2 months later, it is really slow.  I defragment the hard drive once a week, etc. but it has not helped.  The PC that I use for work (I do not use for anything but work) never has had a problem with getting slower but with the laptop it is bad.  Of cous ...

Has Anybody Been Able To Improve On The Sound Quality At AP? Sm
Sep 23, 2012

I have done absolutely everything that I can think of and it's still horrible!  I upgraded from WinXP and Word 2002 and bought a brand new, faster computer with Win7 and Word 2010.  I bought the recommended USB headphones.  Although Spectra headphones aren't considered very good quality, the USB made the sound louder but not clearer.  It still sounds muffled.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the sound quality when I went from the old computer and the USB ...

SALARIES OF CCMs
Apr 07, 2012

Just curious but how much money do the CCMs make?  I've never been able to find an answer to this question.  Also, do you have to have a certain number of years transcription experience to be a CCM?  I'm not interested in the position, just curious.  I've also never understood why sometimes communcation with them is bad.  Why do they go for days without sending out emails to the MTs sometimes?    ...

Decrease In MT Salaries.
Sep 24, 2012

Husband just called, was listening to Dave Ramsey - A man called the show and stated his wife's income had decreased by $900/month.  Ramsey was astounded and asked why?  Man explained that his wife was a medical transcriptionist.  It's now been on national radio, not a secret anymore. ...

Coding Salaries
Jan 24, 2015

I say "sorry" in advance if this has been posted before, but I am new to the Coding forum. I plan to get out of MT and go into Coding.  I have decided on The Andrews School.  I have a contact who is the CEO of a remote coding business, and she highly recommended this school. When just quickly talking about salary, she said coders make between 50K to 60K, which would be wonderful.   What I am wondering is ..... are coders paid by production or hourly.  Thanks for any i ...

Cannot Improve FIESA No Matter How Hard I Try
Dec 26, 2013

They have got me so paranoid now that it is all I can do to work.  I am so upset and nervous over everything that I type that I find myself making stupid errors now that I would never make normally.  They have nitpicked me to death and I have been on non DSP and DSP and my audit now has fallen again.  They review me to death and the majority of those are 100% and the few (won't name how many in case they are reading this) that they pick have hardly any lines in them and they ...

How Does QC Improve Line Counts When There Is Never Any Work?
May 22, 2015

We are told in a very rah-rah manner to "Improve your line counts and this grid will be great!" There is not enough QC work to perform as it is when all we need is 150 lph. What will happen Saturday when we go on production and need to bang out the lines and there are no lines to be had? This is total madness for them to even attempt this. Making plans to get out ASAP.   The work I do Friday will be considered meeting metrics if I do 150 lph at 99%.  That same work the next day will g ...

MT Salaries - Upping The Anty
Feb 28, 2011

I have been an MT for over 25 years - In 1982, I was making 10 cents a line. In 2011, I am making 10 cents a line, which doesn't even include Capital Letters! I have read many posting on this site complaining about lack of income....and what I've realized is WE have sold out our profession by being willing to not demand higher salaries; yes, we have competition from outsourcing companies around the world who are willing to work for peanuts, but with all the new HIPPA rules, etc., this ...

With The MT Salaries STILL Dropping To Below Minimum Sm
Jan 07, 2014

wage and at the same time that insurance costs & deductibles are rising, more and more MTs are now working only for some semblance of (overpriced) insurance ... There is virtually nothing left that can be called "salary". ...

Line Rates - You Can Check Out Salaries Of The CEO, COO, And CFO
Jan 13, 2012

You can check out salaries of the CEO, COO, and CFO of publically traded companies at the securities and exchange commission website.   It will open your eyes and now that we are all working for what we did in the 80's, you will find we have more in common with the unwashed masses of the OWS movement than we thought.  ...

Nuance Exec Salaries (formerly Transcend)
Oct 02, 2012

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/858452/000119312512123549/d317599dex99d5.htm   ...

Check Out 2011 Executive Salaries
Aug 13, 2014

Poor Mr. Davenport only earned a little over 3 million.  So sad.  I guess my giving up eating was worth it.   http://www1.salary.com/MMODAL-INC-Executive-Salaries.html ...

S/l Wide Ace Adhesion Lysis?
Jan 26, 2010

PLAN:  Lumbar epidural steroid injeciton with s/l wide ace adhesion lysis will be ....   thanks ...

Tsk Tsk World Wide Dictation
Nov 06, 2011

offering a whole whopping 6 cpl depending on quality!  Shame on you! ...

World Wide Dictation
Aug 13, 2014

Hello Everyone: I am looking for any insight on this company. I am strongly leaning towards it, but I don't know anyone who has had experience with the company. Thanks!   ...

Is There Any Software Program To Download To Improve Sound Quality/tone?
Jun 28, 2012

for Windows 7.  Thanks for your help.  ...

Left Nuance After 2 Years, Suggestions To Improve Work Ethic?
Jan 02, 2015

just got so discouraged with Nuance.  Now with a new company and want to improve production and attitude.  Still like transcription. ...

Former Transcend MTs--don't Miss The Exec Salaries Posts Below
Oct 03, 2012

Doesn't this just make you sick--Sue Mc stays at Nuance for $295,000 per year plus bonuses, stock, and perks.  Larry G gets a severance package after end of year for $347,000 to include perks and 18 months of COBRA.  And we're making less than ever!!!!!   ...

World Wide Dictation - Any Info On This Co.?
Dec 13, 2010

Does anyone know anything about a company called World Wide Dictation?  Thanks in advance ...