A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting out of MT -- no matter WHAT! - Disgusted

Posted: Feb 26, 2012

My 2-1/2-decade MT career is coming to an end.

When I think back on how *HAPPY* I was back in the good ole days (late 80s into late 90s) as an MT and then contrast that with the picture now, it makes me want to cry.  We made GOOD money for someone without a degree, had GOOD benefits, and were at least somewhat appreciated back then.  In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20), working conditions began going downhill when we became isolated from the physicians (as if we were the "unwashed") after years of working WITH them.  Suddenly we were too unimportant to bother the gods with our trivial questions about what was going into their patients' medical reports.

I won't bore you with the itemized list of all the problems we endure and the abuse we suffer because it's all documented here by others. 

MT is NOT viable long term, and even if you choose to stay in it as an editor, etc. the pay will be ridiculously low and the conditions even more sweatshop.  This is NEOSLAVERY!  Fortunately I am single, but I especially feel sorry for those of you raising a family on your income as an MT. 

There is NO light at the end of this tunnel, and I am getting OUT!  No matter *what* it takes!! 

I feel my resolve weakening... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am getting out - very, very soon! Job prospects, er, well, umm...never mind about that today.

So of course today, work is plentiful, just the kind that will pump my line count up! All the demos are filled in, no jumping from account to account, dictator to dictator...not a bunch of changes to make, yada yada. No supervisor asking me to switch over to some other account, "just because."

But today is a carrot day - 'cause I'm quitting. If I changed my mind and stayed, we would be back to stick day (I'm going with the carrot and stick metaphor). No work available, or if it is, plenty of searching and researching, blanks, incomprehensible to me AND the voice "recognition software." Etc. Etc. All for what they USED TO PAY for family practice.

So I try to be a clinician about it, in a psychological white coat and stethoscope - analyze the situation. OF COURSE it will be dreamy easy when you are quitting. Of course it seems better than potential homelessness, or not getting unemployment, or whatever grim statistical category I could fall into after quitting this job (and I have a degree...or two).

It's just a dumb "day job," I'm sorry, for me that's what it is - along with all the other (probably female) artists out there, who are doing this too. No, I don't want to be a security guard at some factory 11 pm to dawn, eating a bologna sandwich and pop tarts from the vending machine, all by my lonesome, sorry.

Let the proverbial sh** hit the fan. At least at a homeless shelter, there are people there who want to help you find a job. Maybe I could chop broccoli at a Chinese restaurant. Not giving a crap right now.

I feel my resolve strenghtening...

Getting Out - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to get out too. I'm not working now because of slowness at the practice. I have tried getting a part-time job with our local newspaper, a storage company that stores your stuff,and AM Greeting Cards that I have tried time and time again to submit my application and it keeps erroring on me. The card job sounded kind of interesting too. I have applied and tested to various MTSOs but never hear anything from them. It seems in this place I live they advertize jobs but I think they are already spoken for so I'll just keep going. I'm finding some of the things I used to enjoy coming back into my life. I love playing the guitar and am devoting more time to it and it makes me happy. Don't know what I will do when I have to go back to unhappy MTing again if ever. Good Luck.

I applied at hallmark once - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I just couldn't be schmaltzy enough I think (hallmark don't read this if I ever apply again, thnx). I heard Hallmark was Republican and American Greetings was Democratic (in Cleveland). But the card industry is kind of gobsmacked as well. I like the job where you stick the cards in the slots at the grocery store. Maybe I will check out American Greetings again, I'm not too hopeful.

Re: "Things you used to enjoy" I actually thought of buying nail polish yesterday - a cashier at the grocery store had on a really nice shade of red (of course I go for green and purple, celery and eggplant shades).

I thought of contacting a homeless shelter, I could live there "rent free" and teach people how to make big cardboard butterflies (I know people in homeless shelters have nothing else on their minds, and just want to sit around painting butterflies) (sarcasm). I could be quite content painting butterflies. Life, life, life - you read about European history, such as the Hungarian empire, things were dreadful (full of dread), or you read American history from 1900s, and people were staggering under the long hard hours they had to work. And here I am in 2011, "The Woman Who Wanted To Paint Butterflies." Oh well.
I just saw a show about the - Triangle fire in NYC about
[ In Reply To ..]
1911. Those ladies were very brave and fought so hard before they ended up dying. Seems like a lot of folks would like to see us go back to that.
I've read a few poems about Triangle fire... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I also saw a documentary about it. Just horrible.

Moral to me is: We ladies must be very brave and fight so hard too, in our own way...in the midst of our dying (profession).
Oh, believe me, if we could be physically locked in - MTaGoGo
[ In Reply To ..]
the room and forced to work six 14-hour days for very little pay, like those poor unfortunate women (girls, really) of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company, the higher ups would.

Oh, wait...
love your moniker! (nm) - MTilt-a-whirl
[ In Reply To ..]
!
American Greetings - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had a hard time even applying for the AM Greeting Cards. Their online application errored on me. They finally told me to email my resume. Now what do you think my chances are of getting this position with MTing written all over my resume? I hope I have a chance at it. May be my ticket out of MTing. We'll see.
Error on app - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
do you think maybe they give an error message on purpose, simply to cut down on the volume of applications they receive? I'm sure lots and lots of people think, "oh, I can write greeting card verse" or "oh, I can make cute cards" (you know what, maybe they can)...so they give error message to cut down on the number of applications. I got so far with Hallmark, but I just couldn't pour on the schmaltz...I don't have the trick of it...I can write something more sarcastic - zingy - funny - I guess...

What I'm saying is, BE PERSISTENT, send in your resume, keep your fingers crossed. I think I'll try again too with them - even if it's just sticking cards in slots at the grocery store (hmmm, I think I need a better car for that)(don't even ask)

Getting out - sbmt

[ In Reply To ..]
MT has really turned out to be such a disappointment. I have been doing this for the past 13 years, and over the last several years it has really been depressing. I really thought I found my perfect profession when I started, and now I feel so let down by it all. It's hard to believe it has gotten so bad. I am definitely getting out before summer. Not sure what I will be doing after that, but I would like to find something that will build my self-esteem back up after being crushed in this field.

Exactly! A Self-Esteem Makeover - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
It could be a TV show, instead of "What Not to Wear" it will be:

"Where Not To Work"

And they take women (like us!), and they give us an employment makeover. (Sorry, my idea, I get to go first) :) (Oops, I think they had a show like this already - except it was for unemployed people).

But probably what will happen, they'll test us, and it will turn out, one of us is qualified for a job as a Senator, another a CEO, etc - the show's producers will look at the results, and say, we're not trying to start a revolution or anything, we're just trying to create some entertaining TV for the masses!

Oops!

Yes, a big disappointment. - Getting out also.

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree with you. I feel the services are a big culprit. They promise you the moon. The recruiters are not honest when they talk to you. VR is just another way to rip off the MT. 3 CPL I see now sometimes. VR does not double your production. They pay 8 CPL, offer 4 for editing, and you spend more time editing than transcribing. I am getting out, if I can, after 27 years in this business. No longer able to support a family on these wages.

Probably getting out soon too - smalls

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with Disgusted. I have no complaints for the company I work for - great people. It's the industry itself. I don't blame this solely on the MTSO companies. It just is what it is. I'm so thankful that I don't have to live/depend on my salary alone or I would have been in the Food Stamp line a long time ago - and I do NOT mean that sarcastically or condascendingly - it's a fact. I absolutely love working from home since I like staying at home but like you said, we now are not even recognized as human beings by some doctors. Don't want to stereotype because not all of them are like that - some make sure to say a simple Thank You at the end of dictation, etc. Anyway, long story short, I think I'd make more or as much money working a part time job anywhere right now for barely above minimum wage. I am thankful to have a job and try not to take that for granted but ... well you all know exactly what I mean.

Getting out as well. - MTaGoGo

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a good job, but I'm very aware every single day that if this job goes away or if I need/want to move away from here, I am completely scr*wed.

This is exactly what happened to a friend. Unemployed now for months and months after Epic came. Used to be there were other jobs to be had at hospitals here regionally. Not any more. Everyone's either had a hiring freeze since going to eScription OR they've already gone to Epic or are in the process of doing so OR had already outsourced and those MTSOs are paying peanuts. She's one of the best 3 MTs I've ever had the pleasure of working alongside. What a shame. We've each both been at this about 15-18 years.

I know it isn't possible but.... - sbmt

[ In Reply To ..]
it would be so very cool if all of us could get out at the same time. I would love to see what they would do and how much more they would be willing to pay if they couldn't find so many skilled people willing to work for them. Just a fun thought!

I think that's what's known as a "strike" - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

yeah! - KV

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh how I long for all of us to call in sick the same day or days in a row, quit simultaneously, or strike for what is left of our dignity. Do we have no self-respect or self-love? The paycheck isn't worth it. Why do I have to be underpaid and undervalued for someone in management to be living the good life? Why do we allow ourselves to be treated this way? I interviewed at two companies last week, told them both I would get back to them, and here I sit with my calculator, and I would rather live in a cardboard box or move into the tent city in my town. It's not worth it.
Hooverville....MTville???? - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I remember in high school, learning about those tent cities jobless vets made back then, them and their families...how quaint it all seemed, back in high school!

And here we are now...staring down MTville...

That's exactly what the women and girls of the - Triangle Company and

[ In Reply To ..]
over 500 garment sweatshops in NYC. On top of not making the 2 dollars a day for 14 hours hard work they needed for their families to survive, they were beaten and harassed by the police and bosses, yet they stuck it out until their demands were met. Where is that spirit when we need it now?
Sorry, but MTs have NEVER had that spirit! - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hate to break it to you guys, but MTs do not stick together and do not fight for themselves EVER!

There have been several posts (some of them mine) about this. A few times I tried to get the MTs organized to actually DO something instead of sitting around complaining all the time. No go! NOT ONE MT would stand up for herself, not one! And the other phenomenon I observed was that MTs follow the others rather than being leaders. All it took was for one MT to be a chicken, and the rest followed suit.

Another poster put it very well. She said, "Herding cats is easier than trying to organize MTs."

I know it isn't possible but..... - Drea

[ In Reply To ..]
That's exactly how I feel today! Why don't we leave them to their VR computer programs and their ridiculous voice recognition that can make "him right cheek cyst" from hemorrhagic cyst!What are these medical CEO's thinking? It's just not even funny anymore...

There will always be... - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
...newbies willing to work at home for nothing just to break into the field. I am so excited to be making the move to get out of MT while I am still young enough. I have gone back to school, and I LOVE it! My heart goes out to the long-time MTs who have a few years left yet to retire.

Similar Messages:

Is It Gray Matter Or Grey Matter Pls
Feb 11, 2015

x ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Size DOES Matter, LOL!
Oct 03, 2010

"The patient's penis is cucumber sized," courtesy of ASR. Dictated as, "The patient's penis is circumcised."  Good one, ASR...at least I got a giggle out of THAT boo-boo! ...

Hey Vern. If What We Does Matter, Pay Us Like We
May 20, 2013

x ...

No Matter How Hard I Try, I Just Cannot Keep My Lph Up.
Jan 30, 2015

I'm surprised I haven't received performance management yet. I just cannot keep my line count up high enough since going to Fluency 7.6. This is too frustrating. Maybe I should copy a job into Word and see if the line count matches. Although, it could be because the ASR output has been so horrible and I am stopping 3x more to make corrections. I don't get why ASR outputs synonyms of what was said and alternative ways to phrase what was said, not to mention the downright w ...

Does It Even Matter Anymore?
Feb 18, 2015

https://www.kalibrr.com/advice/2015/02/top-4-reasons-why-good-employees-quit/     I'm sure it falls on deaf ears... I absolutely got the message that they don't care!   ...

S/l Coloso White Matter Changes
Nov 29, 2010

"There are no periventricular or (coloso) white matter changes".  TIA! ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

No Matter What Your Experience, Nuance Will NOT Pay More Than
Jul 24, 2012

would like to make a lateral move away from Mmodal and their Big Brother schedule and time clock, but I make 9 cpl and would at least like to keep that with 40% less for VR.  Anybody been successful in negotiating a lateral move with same pay? ...

A Matter Of National Security?
Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we s ...

Why Does Upload Speed Matter?
Jan 10, 2013

I don't get it. Suddenly companies are asking about download & upload speed of my computer. My computer has worked just fine for MT work for over 9 years now. Nobody has ever asked about the speed before, and I've never had any problems. Now I'm looking for work and because my upload speed isn't 1.5 or above, places won't hire me despite my qualifications.  ...

No Matter What Your Personal Feelings Are
Mar 11, 2014

Okay you hate MM and you think this is just another trick they are pulling.  Then don't apply for the coding training.  But please do not discourage other people from going for it.  This could turn out to be a great opportunity for them. ...

Document All Correspondence. No Matter How
Aug 07, 2014

employer is. Documentation is the key to self-preservation. ...

What Platform Does Nuance Use, Or Does It Matter Which
Jan 06, 2015

account you get assigned? Am wondering as I just applied so just curious. ...

Grey Or Gray???? Matter Of Brain
Jun 16, 2010

Does anyone know which is correct?  I have seen both ways and no note in AAMT.  Thanks! ...

Does Company Feedback Really Matter In This Industry?
Jun 22, 2011

I read in my textbooks that an MT should not be heard and that complaining about the way in which doctors and PAs, etc dictate is not relevant in this industry.  They don't want to hear it. It has always been my belief that it takes two to tango, especially if you want to produce anything of quality. I was recently pondering if it will do any good to tell this company what I believe I am seeing.  This is probably suicide but I don't like to take the blame for something I am n ...

Piriform Or Pyriform Sinus, Or Does It Matter?
Apr 15, 2011

NM ...

Doesn't Matter How Many Lines You Produce
May 18, 2012

If you don't have any work available.  Whether it is due to improvement in ASR, etc. etc., (song and dance here), there are too many fingers in the pie. I don't see how any company can hold employees hostage to get 40 hours when the employees have scheduled work times and there is nothing for them to do in their *scheduled* hours...they are told to *flex*, then they *flex* to other days and there is still no work. It's like being on-call....be available 24/7 because they * ...

Post-Audit Scores Are The Only Ones That Matter
Mar 23, 2013

The only scores that matter for your QA are the ones marked "Post-Audit."  I don't sign or even look at the others. ...

Cannot Improve FIESA No Matter How Hard I Try
Dec 26, 2013

They have got me so paranoid now that it is all I can do to work.  I am so upset and nervous over everything that I type that I find myself making stupid errors now that I would never make normally.  They have nitpicked me to death and I have been on non DSP and DSP and my audit now has fallen again.  They review me to death and the majority of those are 100% and the few (won't name how many in case they are reading this) that they pick have hardly any lines in them and they ...

With The Current Unemployment Situation, It Was Only A Matter Of Time
Aug 26, 2010

All these big companies knew the bill would pass, especially with the current unemployment situation.  How could anyone vote no?  Why do you think they came up with VR in our industry?  It was the only profitable solution. ...

Going To Go To School For RHIT, Does It Matter If It Is Accredited Through CHAIIM
Nov 13, 2014

I have gone through coding school.  I am not credentialed and it's been about 2-1/2 years since I finished school.  So, I am rusty in the guidelines and  thought just going for an Associates would be beneficial.  So, I wondered if it really matters if the school program is CHAIIM accredited, or if any AAS degree in Health Information program will be okay and then get the RHIT crendential.      Thank you in advance greatly! :)  ...

MRI Of Brain: Classic Fingers Of *long Horns* White Matter Plaque. Thanks. Nm
May 04, 2010

nm ...